ImageImageImageImageImage

Coaching Change Thread (Nets Hire Lionel Hollins)

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: Coaching Change Thread (Nets Hire Lionel Hollins) 

Post#221 » by Prokorov » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:00 am

RainDrops wrote:I think it's fair to question Deron's effort and confidence, but at the same time, don't underestimate how those two things can be affected by bum ankles.

or by showing up doughy and fat
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Post#222 » by Keith Van Horn » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:07 pm

Prokorov wrote:
RainDrops wrote:I think it's fair to question Deron's effort and confidence, but at the same time, don't underestimate how those two things can be affected by bum ankles.

or by showing up doughy and fat

I hope Deron actually feels inspired to play for coach Hollins that he actually tries to lead this team. Maybe it was just complacency with Kidd, and not being inspired enough under Avery.... IDK, but the dude better show up this year and be the leader and 2nd/3rd option on our team each night.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Post#223 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:47 am

I hear this every ****ing time.

First Avery Johnson was gonna make Deron play with "effort" and make Lopez rebound. Then PJ was gonna change it.

Then Kidd was supposed to "revamp" Deron, and make him gain his confidence.

The truth is, theres only so much a coach can do. No coach is gonna give Deron a heart transplant or make magically make Lopez a good rebounder.

These players are who they are. Its about using everyones talents in the right way. That's what I'm hoping Hollins can do.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#224 » by Prokorov » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:47 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:I hear this every ****ing time.

First Avery Johnson was gonna make Deron play with "effort" and make Lopez rebound. Then PJ was gonna change it.

The truth is, theres only so much a coach can do. No coach is gonna give Deron a heart transplant or make magically make Lopez a good rebounder.

These players are who they are. Its about using everyones talents in the right way. That's what I'm hoping Hollins can do.

I think Hollins is different through.....

Kidd was a rookie coach who really was weak as a coach. And he was too close to the players and did not hold them accountable or ever get on them. He also didnt get to work with Lopez, and prefered to just ship lopez out of town instead of try and grow him. Him and dwill are golf buddies, he wasnt going to be tough with him.

PJC is like the worst players coach of all time. The guy got choked by a player! He is a guy where stuff just falls on deaf ears. he TRIED to make the right adjustments, trelling players to freeze out brook when he didnt fight for position, but that didnt last very long.

Avery was too much of an optomist. too much of a fan. he never even identifited Brook and Deron as having issues other then saying brook needs to get his rebounds up an never following through.

Hollins is a tough love dude. He isnt just a screamer or dictator like PJC. and he isnt all words and rah rah like avery. he will tell you blunt how it is, then work with you to get there, and not let you off the hook. I liked his comments from yestarday:

Hollins wrote:"You know, I'm watching summer league. I had a conversation with Marquis Teague last night when I got here and I told him, you know, you got to have more confidence in yourself, got to believe in yourself. You got to make an impact on the court. You just going to be out there, then I could have anybody to be out there and he's played well tonight.

"The young kid, Sergey, he's going to grow. He's only 20 years old. He's got possibilities in the future but he's got to get stronger. He's got to figure out how to play in the NBA vs. playing overseas."

If anyone is gonna ever get those 2 guys to play with any passion and hustle, its Hollins
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,855

Post#225 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:42 pm

Seems like Hollins is interested in developing talent. Great news.

If Hollins can make Teague serviceable it would be a miracle though. That dude is just not fit for NBA ball.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Post#226 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:13 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:I hear this every ****ing time.

I think Hollins is different through.....

Kidd was a rookie coach who really was weak as a coach. And he was too close to the players and did not hold them accountable or ever get on them. He also didnt get to work with Lopez, and prefered to just ship lopez out of town instead of try and grow him. Him and dwill are golf buddies, he wasnt going to be tough with him.

PJC is like the worst players coach of all time. The guy got choked by a player! He is a guy where stuff just falls on deaf ears. he TRIED to make the right adjustments, trelling players to freeze out brook when he didnt fight for position, but that didnt last very long.

Avery was too much of an optomist. too much of a fan. he never even identifited Brook and Deron as having issues other then saying brook needs to get his rebounds up an never following through.

Hollins is a tough love dude. He isnt just a screamer or dictator like PJC. and he isnt all words and rah rah like avery. he will tell you blunt how it is, then work with you to get there, and not let you off the hook. I liked his comments from yestarday:

Hollins wrote:"You know, I'm watching summer league. I had a conversation with Marquis Teague last night when I got here and I told him, you know, you got to have more confidence in yourself, got to believe in yourself. You got to make an impact on the court. You just going to be out there, then I could have anybody to be out there and he's played well tonight.

"The young kid, Sergey, he's going to grow. He's only 20 years old. He's got possibilities in the future but he's got to get stronger. He's got to figure out how to play in the NBA vs. playing overseas."

If anyone is gonna ever get those 2 guys to play with any passion and hustle, its Hollins

As much as I want you to be right, I don't see much difference between him and Avery Johnson. They were both well established coaches with a lot of experience. They were also both very strict and wanted to make their players play hard.

I just don't see a team lead by mentally weak players like D-Will and Lopez can really change.

I remember when Avery started getting on Deron, he started blaming him publicly and blaming his offensive system. Years later we can see the system wasn't the problem.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#227 » by Prokorov » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:59 pm

from the grizzlies board:

jefe wrote:Good for him. Looking forward to him inevitably benching the Nets stars when they play with a lack of effort and his relationship with the NY media. In the Eastern Conference with an owner ready to spend, he ought to have a good run with the Nets.

hopefully this dude is right, and dwill gets an early benching at the first sign of his piss poor effort.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,855

Post#228 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:05 pm

I look forward to the first benching.

I hope all hell breaks loose when he does so and Deron marches into Billy King's office and demands a trade. King's howl of laughter will be so loud that it will be heard for miles on end.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#229 » by Prokorov » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:31 pm

more fromt he grizz forum

dark-child wrote:He is a very good coach, and some might even say a bit underrated. He also no nonsense, but not in a Scott Skiles sort of way, but in terms of requiring effort from his players. His team will love him and respect him, even if there are times when they hate his guts, because he will be brutally honest with his opinion even if he is wrong.

Brook might respond under him so that is not the relationship I would concern myself with but the D. Williams/Lionel Hollins situation. Coach Hollins is a former point guard on a championship team just like Avery Johnson/D. Williams and Jerry Sloan/D. Williams. Former point guard turned coaches a pretty particular about how things should be run and All Star point guards sometimes think they already know best so friction is ripe between the two.

Given the outlook of the team going forward it probably would not be a bad idea to revisit trading D. Williams while his ankles are still in tact and his value is still relatively high. You would not be trading him to just keep Hollins but to actually have assets and picks that you don't have now. It would seem you are going to be middle of the pack with or without D. Williams so a well placed call to Phoenix, Dallas, & Denver. I would mention Boston but the last time the two of you hooked up it did not go so good for you.

If you elect to hold on to D. Williams a little longer and want to move Brook Lopez, deals for Roy Hibbert and Javale McGee also make some sense.
kerry kittles
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,198

Post#230 » by kerry kittles » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:08 pm

Prokorov wrote:more fromt he grizz forum

dark-child wrote:He is a very good coach, and some might even say a bit underrated. He also no nonsense, but not in a Scott Skiles sort of way, but in terms of requiring effort from his players. His team will love him and respect him, even if there are times when they hate his guts, because he will be brutally honest with his opinion even if he is wrong.

Brook might respond under him so that is not the relationship I would concern myself with but the D. Williams/Lionel Hollins situation. Coach Hollins is a former point guard on a championship team just like Avery Johnson/D. Williams and Jerry Sloan/D. Williams. Former point guard turned coaches a pretty particular about how things should be run and All Star point guards sometimes think they already know best so friction is ripe between the two.

Given the outlook of the team going forward it probably would not be a bad idea to revisit trading D. Williams while his ankles are still in tact and his value is still relatively high. You would not be trading him to just keep Hollins but to actually have assets and picks that you don't have now. It would seem you are going to be middle of the pack with or without D. Williams so a well placed call to Phoenix, Dallas, & Denver. I would mention Boston but the last time the two of you hooked up it did not go so good for you.

If you elect to hold on to D. Williams a little longer and want to move Brook Lopez, deals for Roy Hibbert and Javale McGee also make some sense.

Great to hear positive reviews from Grizzles, but DWill's trade value isn't relatively high. It's low, very low. We are not getting assets/picks like this poster mentioned. He's coming off a horrific playoffs and has 3 years of max $'s left, no one is giving us anything of value for that.

I think best bet is next summer when he has 2 years left. I'd really like to move him and get Conley in here in the summer of 2016.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#231 » by Prokorov » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:27 pm

we really need a big break with williams. him playing at top 3 PG level in late december through the all-star break would be big. if we are like a .625% win% team and dwill is putting up 18/10 we might be able to move him then. MIGHT

Return to Brooklyn Nets