ImageImageImageImageImage

Small Ball is Dead, so what will our line up look like?

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: Small Ball is Dead, so what will our line up look like? 

Post#81 » by Prokorov » Wed Jul 9, 2014 9:49 pm

SpeedyG wrote:You can't just do that though. What good is Brown if he's going to get called for a foul at a rate that most rookies get? He'd get yanked right back out due to foul trouble, while at the same time putting the other team in penalty mode.

Thats still MUCH better then the alternative. you dont turn good players into mediocure players to cover up a problem... find another soltuion dont create 2 problems.

moving johnson to SG doesnt makes us better. it makes us worse. it creates a hole at SF, and it lowers the impact johnson has.

you are overstating it on brown as well. he isnt going to pick up 5 fouls in the first quarter every game. and a rookie getting in foul trouble is better then your team allowing tons of easy open shots and layups.

brown, jack, sign a vet minimum SG. whatever it takes. moving joe johnson to SG would be a deathblow to this team.
SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#82 » by SpeedyG » Wed Jul 9, 2014 9:56 pm

Prokorov wrote:
SpeedyG wrote:You can't just do that though. What good is Brown if he's going to get called for a foul at a rate that most rookies get? He'd get yanked right back out due to foul trouble, while at the same time putting the other team in penalty mode.

Thats still MUCH better then the alternative. you dont turn good players into mediocure players to cover up a problem... find another soltuion dont create 2 problems.

moving johnson to SG doesnt makes us better. it makes us worse. it creates a hole at SF, and it lowers the impact johnson has.

you are overstating it on brown as well. he isnt going to pick up 5 fouls in the first quarter every game. and a rookie getting in foul trouble is better then your team allowing tons of easy open shots and layups.

brown, jack, sign a vet minimum SG. whatever it takes. moving joe johnson to SG would be a deathblow to this team.

Please...JJ is fine at SG. It's not like we're talking Pierce to SF here.

Yes, moving him to SG creates a hole at SF. Difference is, we have guys whose natural positions are SFs and can fill that role. We don't have a natural SG.

Until we find one suitable to start, or Brown shows us he's capable of doing so, I rather see JJ there.

By the way, you realize we're talking about CURRENT setup here right? So whoever your fantasy "vet minimum SG" signee is not part of this equation.
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#83 » by Prokorov » Wed Jul 9, 2014 10:05 pm

SpeedyG wrote:Please...JJ is fine at SG. It's not like we're talking Pierce to SF here.

He is fine at SG. the problem is he is MUCH better and a plus at SF. and none of the "natural" SF's we have are good defenders. you end up with an average defensive SG and a BAD defensive SF. instead of a Good defensive SF and a bad defensive SG. you are just hurting your team and making your best player less effective.

Until we find one suitable to start, or Brown shows us he's capable of doing so, I rather see JJ there.

SG: ANYONE SF: Johnson >>>>>>>>> SG: Johnson SF: Bogs

By the way, you realize we're talking about CURRENT setup here right? So whoever your fantasy "vet minimum SG" signee is not part of this equation.

it is really irrelevant. ANYONE you put at SG with Joe at SF is going to make us better defensively then Joe at SG and any of our SF's starting at the 3.

you also arent considering williams. its not like we have strong defense on the point. bopth back court positions would be putting a ton of pressure on our defense.

this isnt a minor thing. its like a make the playoffs or miss the playoffs 10 game difference type move. we could, legit, be the leagues worst defense with a lineup of dwill/JJ at gaurd and brook at center with whoever on this team you want to plug in at SF and PF.

go back and look how poor we were defensively last year with dwill/jj/brook the first 20 games.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,432

Post#84 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:58 pm

Paradise wrote:Small ball isn't dead, folks. Celebrate.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/daldridgetnt/status/486892934478823424[/tweet]

I'm not sure that i am in favor of this.

Moving D-Will to the two?
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#85 » by MGrand15 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:27 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Paradise wrote:Small ball isn't dead, folks. Celebrate.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/daldridgetnt/status/486892934478823424[/tweet]

I'm not sure that i am in favor of this.

Moving D-Will to the two?

I don't buy it. It's still early in FA. Considering the market, we're going to have to wait for cap space to run out before we can find a vet SG for the minimum (like Alan Anderson). Or if we have to trade Pierce, it can be for a SG.

I think it's just the front office talking in case the team remains as is. It's just that right now the options next to Deron/JJ are Karasev, Bojan, Brown. We'll definitely find a legit 2 or even start Bojan.

I hate when teams put their wing defender on Deron. It makes him work way harder and takes away his post up game. If Jack is starting, expect that to happen on a regular basis. Livingston was at least able to punish teams with post ups - Jack can't.
Bro Johnson
Banned User
And1: 330

Post#86 » by Bro Johnson » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:37 pm

I'm just going to say it. Alan Anderson WAS NOT that good last year. Flame on.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#87 » by Prokorov » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:03 pm

Bro Johnson wrote:I'm just going to say it. Alan Anderson WAS NOT that good last year. Flame on.

i dont know... compare him to most teams 5th starter/6th-7th man/role guy

i mean you are talking about the chalmers, carroles, hills, crowders of the world.

i though he was good. was fine playing 35 minutes or getting a DNP-CD. worked his tail off, played solid defense, scored when needed.

other then going YOLO with the second unit when that team couldnt score and need to be reeled back in a bit i dont get the complaints on him
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,432

Post#88 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:06 pm

Double A imo wasn't great but he wasn't dreadful, especially for the money paid to him. He also was not afraid to play physical defense.

I'm open to bringing him back. But IMO we need an athletic 2. Not sure how we go about acquiring one.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,174

Post#89 » by Keith Van Horn » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:09 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Bro Johnson wrote:I'm just going to say it. Alan Anderson WAS NOT that good last year. Flame on.

i dont know... compare him to most teams 5th starter/6th-7th man/role guy

i mean you are talking about the chalmers, carroles, hills, crowders of the world.

i though he was good. was fine playing 35 minutes or getting a DNP-CD. worked his tail off, played solid defense, scored when needed.

other then going YOLO with the second unit when that team couldnt score and need to be reeled back in a bit i dont get the complaints on him

I agree. He knew his role and embraced it. People got on him when he felt the need to be the hero and kept stinking it up. The guy was signed for the vet min and we got a ton out of him. Unless we can score a miracle like VC, I would be open to bringing AA back.
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#90 » by MGrand15 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:15 pm

If a guy you sign with the vet min is starting in the playoffs or playing major playoff minutes, that's good value.

He wasn't great by any means. He was inconsistent. But unless he was playing with a unit that couldn't score, he knew his role. Shoot open corner 3s or attack closeouts. Play physical D. Was ready to play no matter what and was okay with DNPs.

I want him back not because he was awesome but because I think we need that type of player. I'd prefer someone less reckless, better on D and more athletic but those type of guys might be out of our price range. Sefolosha was the guy I really wanted.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,083

Post#91 » by therealbig3 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:55 am

MGrand15 wrote:I hate when teams put their wing defender on Deron. It makes him work way harder and takes away his post up game.

But that's supposed to be a mismatch. As a PG, he SHOULD be able to break them down off the dribble and get by them.

The issue with him is that he's just slow, because of the ankle injuries. He has no first step, no explosion, and no lift. Even when he does get shot attempts at the rim, he gets stuffed more often than not.

Watch highlights of him after the PRP treatment in 2013. Didn't matter who defended him, he was torching everybody. That's what made this season so irritating. Even when he looked healthy and explosive, he didn't TRY to do anything. Just passively stood there and passed it around the perimeter.

Return to Brooklyn Nets