Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: Realistic expectations for 2014-2015 

Post#61 » by Prokorov » Sat Aug 9, 2014 10:30 pm

Paradise wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Paradise wrote:Don't be surprised. If KG says "no" to coming off the bench. They will start him immediately. Pierce pouted and dogged it like a complete diva when Kidd asked him to off the bench. They will roll out the red carpet for him by giving him the Jeter treatment to appease him enough to take that front office/player development job.

who cares what KG says no too. if he doesnt like it he can accept a buyout and make an early transition to coahcing/front office. his value is more off court leadership and intangables then anything he will ever do at PF.

KG should have 0 input on who hollins plays and when he plays them. he needs to shut his mouth he has earned 0 in brooklyn

In order for him to bring any of that off the court or even in the locker room, both him and the organization have to be on the same page. They will most certainly appease him in order for him to commit to a new career with the franchise. It's not like Boston, Minnesota or LA won't consider making a similar proposal.

then let him go to one of those franchises. kevin garnett has a very small impact on both our short and long term success. he is an unknown in a non player role and is a completely dimisnished shell of what he was even a few years ago, and pretty horrific at PF.

if he threatens anything, id show him the door. like seriously we owe the guy nothing.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#62 » by Paradise » Sat Aug 9, 2014 10:44 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Paradise wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
who cares what KG says no too. if he doesnt like it he can accept a buyout and make an early transition to coahcing/front office. his value is more off court leadership and intangables then anything he will ever do at PF.

KG should have 0 input on who hollins plays and when he plays them. he needs to shut his mouth he has earned 0 in brooklyn

In order for him to bring any of that off the court or even in the locker room, both him and the organization have to be on the same page. They will most certainly appease him in order for him to commit to a new career with the franchise. It's not like Boston, Minnesota or LA won't consider making a similar proposal.

then let him go to one of those franchises. kevin garnett has a very small impact on both our short and long term success. he is an unknown in a non player role and is a completely dimisnished shell of what he was even a few years ago, and pretty horrific at PF.

if he threatens anything, id show him the door. like seriously we owe the guy nothing.

Except for the fact, Garnett has tutored Plumlee and half our roster is looking forward to learning under him. Plumlee credits KG for his defensive improvement. Stuff like that has to be considered. We may owe him nothing but he brings a ton of credibility and teaching to a team with no true leader and no true example to learn from on and off the floor.

We can't let the opportunity to utilize Garnett similar to how Houston ullizes Hakeem Olajuwon because we don't feel like we should appease him. This is a player's league. That's what happens.
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 359

Post#63 » by jbeachboy » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:25 am

let kg start until plumlee gets jumpshot
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,886

Post#64 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:29 am

jbeachboy wrote:let kg start until plumlee gets jumpshot

KG was bricking shots left and right last year. Plumlee should start
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#65 » by Prokorov » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:31 am

Paradise wrote:
Except for the fact, Garnett has tutored Plumlee and half our roster is looking forward to learning under him. Plumlee credits KG for his defensive improvement. Stuff like that has to be considered. We may owe him nothing but he brings a ton of credibility and teaching to a team with no true leader and no true example to learn from on and off the floor.

We can't let the opportunity to utilize Garnett similar to how Houston ullizes Hakeem Olajuwon because we don't feel like we should appease him. This is a player's league. That's what happens.

well then buy him out and make him an assistant/bigman coach. it idiotic to start a guy who is terrible at PF past his prime, and due for another major decline this year. if his value is leadership and being a mentor and teacher, then let him do that. dont start him, thats insane

also, tons of bigmen have found a way to make it in the NBA without kevin garnett tutoring them. i like plumlees chances either way
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#66 » by Prokorov » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:32 am

why in the world would you want plumlee shooting jumpshots? kidd adit right to have him take shots at he rim instead. leave the shooting to our gaurs
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#67 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:38 am

Garnett can come or go imo. We owe him nothing. The idiot GM traded PICKS for this washed up dude and he's a 44% shooter.

**** him. Let Plumlee play.

Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#68 » by Paradise » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:41 am

Prokorov wrote:

why in the world would you want plumlee shooting jumpshots? kidd adit right to have him take shots at he rim instead. leave the shooting to our gaurs

Opens up spacing opportunities and makes him harder for teams to predict. If Plumlee has truly added a jumper, why wouldn't you want to utilize it? You're basically looking at a much better version of Kris Humphries if he adds it to his game.
F3LON
Banned User
And1: 187

Post#69 » by F3LON » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:37 am

Prokorov wrote:
F3LON wrote:
How much difference is there between Love and Thompson besides Loves shooting? Both are Hump type of players who dont play great defense and cant create their own shot.

an enormous difference. about as big a difference as possible between 2 starting NBA players.

Yet you listed nothing.

Can Love score on isolations? NO Neither can Thompson

Can Love score on post downs? NO Neither can Thompson

Can Love put the ball down and drive to the basket? NO Neither can Thompson

Can Love stop a 7 footer from posting him down? NO Neither can Thompson

Can Love move laterally enough to defend out on the perimeter? NO Neither can Thompson.

Can Love block shots? NO Neither can Thompson

They are both garbage men. They clean the glass on teams that miss a ton of shots and had weak rebounding centers. Love adds 3pt shooting to that but not much else. If he wasnt white he wouldnt be considered a top NBA player. Bosh is a much better player then Love. Its not even close. Love is the better version of Illyasova.
F3LON
Banned User
And1: 187

Post#70 » by F3LON » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:42 am

Prokorov wrote:then let him go to one of those franchises. kevin garnett has a very small impact on both our short and long term success. he is an unknown in a non player role and is a completely dimisnished shell of what he was even a few years ago, and pretty horrific at PF.

I guess the fact that he was by far the best rebounder and defensive player on the team doesnt mean much. :roll:
kerry kittles
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,198

Post#71 » by kerry kittles » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:55 pm

Paradise wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:D.Will/JJ/Lopez play 70+ games each, 50 wins and we take the Atlantic and maybe the 3 seed.
If not, who knows. It all depends on the health of those guys and to a lesser extent AK/KG/etc.

Considering we never seem to have good luck...

Chicago
Cleveland
Washington
Toronto
Charlotte
Brooklyn
Miami
Atlanta

Is my best guess with Detroit my sleeper pick to sneak in.

In the playoffs, assuming full strength I think we could beat anyone other than Chicago or Cleveland.
Chicago scares me the most. Cavs will be young, inexperienced, rookie international coach lacking D and depth unless they start signing some ring chasers.

My guess at the line up...

D.Will l Jack
AA l Bogs
JJ l AK
Plumlee l Mirza
Lopez l KG

I'm hoping we get rid of Teague and add a Brand, Okafor or Ayon.
Plumlee seems to be the hot name right now so I think he starts over Mirza who fits better between AK and KG, though NI said KG is still pencilled in as starter for now. Anderson should get the nod because of his D and experience. But if Bogs can play passable D, I wouldn't mind seeing him start. AK isn't reliable enough to shuffle in and out of the lineup.

Starting KG? Surely the Nets realize that the guy can't play PF anymore.

Don't be surprised. If KG says "no" to coming off the bench. They will start him immediately. Pierce pouted and dogged it like a complete diva when Kidd asked him to off the bench. They will roll out the red carpet for him by giving him the Jeter treatment to appease him enough to take that front office/player development job.

What? Pierce was fine coming off the bench. Said he was fine with it and he wanted whatever helped the team. I think the losing, the 10-21 record in 2013 bothered Pierce the most. His #'s per 36 were very similar off the bench compared to his #'s as a starter.

I'm not for KG starting next to Lopez, don't like KG at the 4. Have no problem with him starting at center when Lopez sits.
NetsWorld
Starter
And1: 1,030

Post#72 » by NetsWorld » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:16 pm

Per what Hollins said in the interview that Lopez and Deron are healthy, I expect a BETTER Brooklyn team than last year. I'm not going to think like the rest of the fold and put the Nets out of the playoffs or even the 8th seed; I expect a 3-4 seed if this team is healthy and to really make some noise in the playoffs. Defense was an area we really improved on last year and think this team can definitely continue its top 4 team defense. For those of you hoping KG retires or we buy him out, understand that he made a tremendous difference with the development of Plumlee's defense and also helped the team defense in a big way.

Love going to the Cavs does not scare me at all. He doesn't play defense and there is also the possibility of Irving getting injured. Cleveland this year is far more inferior than last year's Miami team.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,174

Post#73 » by Keith Van Horn » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:03 pm

I always make a bet with my buddy about Syracuse and Brooklyn basketball. I get to name the # of wins I'm comfortable with for Brooklyn and take the over while he takes the under. Vice versa, he gives me a # for Cuse and I take the under and he takes the over. This year I have the Nets at 37 wins and he has Cuse at 27.

So in terms of wins, I'm expecting maybe a few wins over the 37 mark.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#74 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:31 pm

kerry kittles wrote:
Paradise wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Starting KG? Surely the Nets realize that the guy can't play PF anymore.

Don't be surprised. If KG says "no" to coming off the bench. They will start him immediately. Pierce pouted and dogged it like a complete diva when Kidd asked him to off the bench. They will roll out the red carpet for him by giving him the Jeter treatment to appease him enough to take that front office/player development job.

What? Pierce was fine coming off the bench. Said he was fine with it and he wanted whatever helped the team. I think the losing, the 10-21 record in 2013 bothered Pierce the most. His #'s per 36 were very similar off the bench compared to his #'s as a starter.

I'm not for KG starting next to Lopez, don't like KG at the 4. Have no problem with him starting at center when Lopez sits.

And this is when KG should start, on those days that Lopez doesn't play.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#75 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:32 pm

macgyver893 wrote:I always make a bet with my buddy about Syracuse and Brooklyn basketball. I get to name the # of wins I'm comfortable with for Brooklyn and take the over while he takes the under. Vice versa, he gives me a # for Cuse and I take the under and he takes the over. This year I have the Nets at 37 wins and he has Cuse at 27.

So in terms of wins, I'm expecting maybe a few wins over the 37 mark.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums

Nets will win 45 or better.

Prokorov
RealGM

Post#76 » by Prokorov » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:29 pm

Paradise wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

Opens up spacing opportunities and makes him harder for teams to predict. If Plumlee has truly added a jumper, why wouldn't you want to utilize it? You're basically looking at a much better version of Kris Humphries if he adds it to his game.

you dont increase spacing with a guy who shoots nothing but 18 footers(i.e. the least efficient shot in the game) who isnt a thread to score inside. teams were fine last year letting KG shoot those. and bigs gave him all the space to take them. No team is going to be worried about KG going 4-9 for 8 points every game. its such an small impact. there are several great defensive teams whose strategy is to FORCE teams to take that shot.

People think any big who can shoot beyond 15 feet is a floor spacer. your only spacing the floor as a big if you are shooting it from 3.

plus, the guy was straight up trash shooting the ball last year anyway and wasnt good defensively at PF. unless he is playing 15 minutes or so at backup C, he isnt worth having on the court. the guy was washed up last year, and likely will be even worse this year
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#77 » by Prokorov » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:41 pm

F3LON wrote:Can Love score on isolations? NO Neither can Thompson

Actually, love CAN score in isolation. he was top 20 in the league last year in points per possession in isolation

Can Love score on post downs? NO Neither can Thompson

Actually, he can score in the post, he was 27th in the league in points per possesion in post up situations last season

Can Love stop a 7 footer from posting him down? NO Neither can Thompson

while not a great team defender, he was one of the best man defenders in the league last season at his position. Also, how many 7 foot back to the basket PFs are there in the NBA last year? 0? 1? thats like saying how many 6.1" point gaurds can love defend. its irrelevant

Can Love move laterally enough to defend out on the perimeter? NO Neither can Thompson.

actually he can. defensively its what he does best, and he has always had decent success against guys like dirk

Can Love block shots? NO Neither can Thompson

How many PFs are blocking 2 shots game?

They are both garbage men. They clean the glass on teams that miss a ton of shots and had weak rebounding centers. Love adds 3pt shooting to that but not much else. If he wasnt white he wouldnt be considered a top NBA player. Bosh is a much better player then Love. Its not even close. Love is the better version of Illyasova.

that like saying Michael Jordan and Monte Ellis are both scoring SG's. it just an idiotic simplification of the truth. Kevin Love is an elite scorer who can score on the block, in transition, in isolation, off the ball, and out to 3 point range while being an elite passer for a big.

Tristan thompson is a complete scrub who is one of the least efficient scorers in the league among starting players or players with 1000+ minutes

the facts pretty much despute everything you are saying. not to mention you dont list all the things love can/does do that tristan doesnt. like shoot it at 36+ % from 3, or get to the free throw line 8 times a game, or pass the ball (4.5 assists a game).
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#78 » by Prokorov » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:43 pm

F3LON wrote:
Prokorov wrote:then let him go to one of those franchises. kevin garnett has a very small impact on both our short and long term success. he is an unknown in a non player role and is a completely dimisnished shell of what he was even a few years ago, and pretty horrific at PF.

I guess the fact that he was by far the best rebounder and defensive player on the team doesnt mean much. :roll:

being the best rebounder on a small ball team whose PF is a 6'7" paul pierce really isnt saying alot. great so he rebounded better then mirza, blatche, and a rookie. Defensively he was very good... AT CENTER. at PF he was horrible getting blown by like a statue by guys like andrea bargani.

We dont need him, and he is a detriment at C. i also quesiton that he can play 60+ games at 15 mpg.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#79 » by Prokorov » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:45 pm

BklynNets wrote:
Love going to the Cavs does not scare me at all. He doesn't play defense and there is also the possibility of Irving getting injured. Cleveland this year is far more inferior than last year's Miami team.

people like to say love doesnt player defense. but there really arent any facts to support this. its really just a stereotype. every team, individul, and on/off statistic shows he is at worst an average defender while also being one of the best defensive rebounders in the league
NetsWorld
Starter
And1: 1,030

Post#80 » by NetsWorld » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:56 pm

Prokorov wrote:
BklynNets wrote:

people like to say love doesnt player defense. but there really arent any facts to support this. its really just a stereotype. every team, individul, and on/off statistic shows he is at worst an average defender while also being one of the best defensive rebounders in the league

Being a good defender goes beyond what the stats(facts) show. To be a real elite player you must be a great defender and this is what separates the players like Carmelo and LeBron. Being an excellent defender is about studying and communicating what the offense will do and positioning yourself to best possibly defend that particular play or plays. There was film earlier on NetsDaily which showed how much detail Garnett himself pays attention to defense that all the small little moves he makes would impress many defensive minded coaches. This is why Love will never reach Garnett's status. He, just like Carmelo, will be second tier players. Players like Dwight, unfortunately, lack a refined offensive game but their defense makes up for it. Noah and Dwight are two players I would take, for defensive reasons, over both Carmelo and Love.

Return to Brooklyn Nets