ImageImageImageImageImage

A petition for the firing Billy King (please help us)

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

FireBillyKing
Ballboy
And1: 16

A petition for the firing Billy King (please help us) 

Post#1 » by FireBillyKing » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:13 pm

Dear Nets Fans,

We are starting a petition for the firing of Billy King. We have created the web-site www.FireBillyKing.com to collect fan signatures to show management that we are not alone.

With every signature FireBillyKing.com gets one step closer to convincing Nets ownership that management must be changed. If you agree, please check out our web-site, sign the petition and leave a comment as to why you think Billy King should be fired.

We are fans of the Nets realgm forum and hope this community will help. I know there are other topics regarding Billy King, but I am hoping to keep this as it's own thread to help promote this petition.

If possible, please tell your friends of our web-site. You can post our web-site on facebook, twitter, other Nets and basketball forums. The more people who know about this web-site, the greater our chances are to finally have competent management put in place.

Thank you very much for your help.

Sincerely,
FireBillyKing.com
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: A petition for the firing Billy King (please help us) 

Post#2 » by Prokorov » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:39 pm

you are pretty much wasting your time

1) russian billionaires dont care about your online peititon, and dont change the structure of their company based off of it

2) if jason kidd couldnt get billy king fired a ballboy on a messageboard isnt going to be able to
JoseRizal
General Manager
And1: 2,233

Post#3 » by JoseRizal » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:20 am

JoseRizal wrote:Typical ballboy first post...

I'm quoting myself...

... hopefully, the result is the same :lol: :lol: :lol:
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#4 » by NyCeEvO » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:45 am

I think King is a terrible GM (definitely one of the worst in the league). With that said, if you took the time out to make a website, you must really really hate him. :lol:

Unfortunately, this is at least 1.5 years too late.

King's worst deals were the trade for Gerald Wallace, Wallace's new contract, and the Joe Johnson trade because he either massively overpaid and/or gave up assets that shouldn't have been given up.

Since that time, he's done a solid job as a talent evaluator in the draft and the KG/Pierce deal was somewhat justifiable (even though it was still a bit of an overpay).

Maybe he's unable to get ripped off because he doesn't have great assets to give up anymore. :lol:

On a more serious note, he hasn't done anything recently (i.e. 1 1/2 years) that should warrant a firing.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,859

Post#5 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:50 pm

King has done a decent job retooling this summer tbh.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
FireBillyKing
Ballboy

Post#6 » by FireBillyKing » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:42 pm

Prokorov wrote:you are pretty much wasting your time

Although 'russian billionaires' may not read this forum I'm sure his inner circle and each of their inner circles do browse the internet and see fan's opinions. If the Nets struggle this season, ownership may be on the fence with King and a petition could help sway some in his inner circle, or at least be one of many factors.

JoseRizal wrote:Typical ballboy first post...

I post at realgm under a different handle. This is not about me. This is about trying to help the Nets get a more competent GM.

NyCeEvO wrote:I think King is a terrible GM (definitely one of the worst in the league)

Please sign the petition then. It is greatly appreciated.

MrDollarBills wrote:King has done a decent job retooling this summer tbh.

Decent? Traded Kidd for 2nd rounders when precedent has always been for a first round pick. Also looked like a fool for hiring Kidd in the first place. Then lets Pierce, the Nets second best player last season, walk for MLE after trading multiple draft picks for the guy 1 year ago. Then lets Blatche go. Signs three minimum contract guys and a Euro 2nd rounder is not decent when you are the highest payroll in the NBA that gave away all your draft picks to win now.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#7 » by Paradise » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:08 pm

FireBillyKing wrote:Decent? Traded Kidd for 2nd rounders when precedent has always been for a first round pick. Also looked like a fool for hiring Kidd in the first place.

I wanted a first round pick also but we had little leverage in hindsight and King needed a coach before free agency.

King never hired Kidd. It was Brian Shaw or Lionel Hollins. Dimitri Rasumov pushed for the Kidd hire and eventually, Prokharov told King to interview Kidd. The whole Kidd hire was the fault of ownership.

Then lets Pierce, the Nets second best player last season, walk for MLE after trading multiple draft picks for the guy 1 year ago.

Again, this was on ownership. Prokharov didn't want to pay the 30 million dollar luxury tax hit from Pierce and his potential contract. Losing him for nothing was a joke but King did try to S&T him to the Clippers.

Then lets Blatche go.

Blatche was let go due to something he did in the locker room. Last time I checked, nobody is trying to sign him. Whatever he did was a serious offense.

Signs three minimum contract guys and a Euro 2nd rounder is not decent when you are the highest payroll in the NBA that gave away all your draft picks to win now.

That "Euro 2nd rounder" was considered as a budding star in Europe over the last few years and considered the second best euro stash prospect in the NBA behind Chicago's Nikola Mirotic. Getting him in the second round from Minnesota was a steal.

Markel Brown looks to be a steal at 44 and Jefferson dominated during Summer League including a matchup against Nerlens Noel. Billy also was 100% responsible for the Plumlee draft pick. Plumlee finished Top 5 in ROY voting which basically makes him a lottery pick in hindsight and the best big man to come out of the 2013 draft class so far.

Yes, he has been terrible when it comes to making major deals and negotiating them but the reality is even though we all hate him for it, all of us know he has done a good job scouting talent in the draft or signing free agents to put around Deron, Joe and Brook.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#8 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:36 pm

FireBillyKing wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:King has done a decent job retooling this summer tbh.

Decent? Traded Kidd for 2nd rounders when precedent has always been for a first round pick. Also looked like a fool for hiring Kidd in the first place. Then lets Pierce, the Nets second best player last season, walk for MLE after trading multiple draft picks for the guy 1 year ago. Then lets Blatche go. Signs three minimum contract guys and a Euro 2nd rounder is not decent when you are the highest payroll in the NBA that gave away all your draft picks to win now.

King didn't hire Kidd, the Russians did. The same Russians that mandated that the Nets shed salary in letting a washed up Paul Pierce walk. I agree with that move, we needed to move into another direction and we need to regain financial flexibility. You're too caught up on names, and not on substance. I was GLAD when they let him walk. It was the first time in years where the Nets finally admitted that they **** ed up and they need to go about building a contender in a different way.

Blatche? Blatche was god awful last year and he did something that soured the entire organization against him and the fact that he hasn't been signed yet speaks volumes.

King is an awful GM but the ownership are also complicit in this. They have all realized that their way about going things was a mistake. Now the team has been infused with youth and we now have a roster full of versatility and development potential.

The guy made some serious errors but currently, I like what he is doing. The Hollins hire, the young players, added with our vets all have me excited to see this team play some competitive tough basketball.

If you're upset that the clown let Andray Blatche and washed up Pierce walk you need to re evaluate your anger.

jeff1624
RealGM
And1: 1,068

Post#9 » by jeff1624 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:29 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5j4DIellR4[/youtube]
Dat Leadership
F3LON
Banned User
And1: 187

Post#10 » by F3LON » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:39 pm

Stop spamming your stupid website here.

Grow a pair and list your real tag.

BK made one bad trade, otherwise he has done a great job.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#11 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:41 pm

F3LON wrote:Stop spamming your stupid website here.

Grow a pair and list your real tag.

BK made one bad trade, otherwise he has done a great job.

The Wallace trade is the equivalent to about 10 bad trades

He should have been blacklisted from the sport after that nonsense.

FireBillyKing
Ballboy

Post#12 » by FireBillyKing » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:12 pm

F3LON wrote:BK made one bad trade, otherwise he has done a great job.

I assume you mean the trade of a declining Gerald Wallace for the 6th pick in the draft.

but what about...

3 first round draft picks, and rights to switch another first round draft pick for a one year rental of Paul Pierce, a bad contract in Terry, and a 6.5 ppg, 6.6 rpg declining Garnett who may still decide retire? Every single fan in Boston laughes at the Nets for this trade.

Courtney Lee a starting SG for a towel waving Troy Murphy.

And although the Joe Johnson Trade was not as horrific as his other two big trade blunders, it was still pretty terrible. That contract was toxic and King gave up draft picks.

And of course, you are forgetting all of his horrible overpriced contract signings.

Saying Billy King has done a great job is simply not true. He has the highest payroll in the NBA, is capped out, traded away all future picks, and has a declining overpaid roster that most pundits thinks will be worst than last season. How on earth can you justify this?
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#13 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:46 pm

FireBillyKing wrote:

I assume you mean the trade of a declining Gerald Wallace for the 6th pick in the draft.

but what about...

3 first round draft picks, and rights to switch another first round draft pick for a one year rental of Paul Pierce, a bad contract in Terry, and a 6.5 ppg, 6.6 rpg declining Garnett who may still decide retire? Every single fan in Boston laughes at the Nets for this trade.

Courtney Lee a starting SG for a towel waving Troy Murphy.

And although the Joe Johnson Trade was not as horrific as his other two big trade blunders, it was still pretty terrible. That contract was toxic and King gave up draft picks.

And of course, you are forgetting all of his horrible overpriced contract signings.

Saying Billy King has done a great job is simply not true. He has the highest payroll in the NBA, is capped out, traded away all future picks, and has a declining overpaid roster that most pundits thinks will be worst than last season. How on earth can you justify this?

The Wallace trade was terrible. Giving up that many picks for two washed up players was god awful. Pick swaps included. The pick swap with ATL= Terrible.

The Courtney Lee trade? That guy carried on like a bitch when he was here and acted entitled the entire time, I would have shipped him out for a 2nd round pick to be honest.

King has done a terrible job, but this offseason I believe he has made some pretty decent moves now that Prokhorov cut off the money supply.

I think we'll be better than last year. Younger, more athletic, lots of versatility, shooting, a returning Brook Lopez, an experienced coach who won't mail in games...the Nets as constructed look pretty decent.

kerry kittles
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,198

Post#14 » by kerry kittles » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:41 pm

Billy King deserves to be have been fired for a long while now. And it's not just one bad move: in the next CBA I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Billy King addendum to the Stepien Rule about pick swaps in successive years. We don't have full control of a 1st round pick till 2019 and he's done a great job?

And he compounded that trade by giving Wallace 4 years/$40 million: a guy on the decline who's game was based so largely on athleticism. Who else was giving him that? Avery Bradley's contract 4 years/$32 million is getting bashed, but at least that a. He's in his prime. b. Can shoot. Too things that Wallace clearly was not. That contract was an abomination that led us to overpaying in the C's deal merely to get rid of it.

As far as this summer:
- The Jack trade was good

- it's too early to tell about our 2nd round picks. Marquis Teague looked good in the summer league last year, many Bulls fan had hope in him after that and it was largely what led to then picking up his option, what else could it have been? You can't put serious weight in the summer league. Neutral there

- It was great to resign Anderson, but I think he wanted to stay. He idolized KG, that was a big reason he came here last year and I think he likes being here. We offered him the vet minimum which other teams surely did. I don't think this is so much a great move on King's part of resigning him, it was just a good fit.

-Bringing Bogdanovic over, we'll see how he does, but it did make sense to do that. I really wish his 3rd year was a team option, oh well. Good not great move overall.

- Letting Pierce walk was a financial decision made by ownership. He's not washed up either. Dude TS% excluding November when he was playing with a fractured hand was 62%+ that is fantastic. He was a great player for us and fit well defensively. I hate this revisionist history **** that Pierce wasn't good last year.

- There was nothing we could do with Livingston leaving.

I wouldn't say King had a great offseason. The Jack trade was great, but we didn't really make many big moves and we really need to see how many of these young kids look before saying King did a great job evaluating talent this summer.
M I K E
Junior
And1: 42

Post#15 » by M I K E » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:24 pm

Billy King should be given a medal having to deal with that "NBA dumb" owner and his management team. But that was to be expected. Lets see what happens this year. Too many unknown factors right now to get a proper handle of what this team may or may not be.

One thing I have to credit them for, they are not boring and they keep throwing punches.
james vincent
Sophomore
And1: 58

Post#16 » by james vincent » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:19 am

NyCeEvO wrote: On a more serious note, he hasn't done anything recently (i.e. 1 1/2 years) that should warrant a firing.

I don't know about that. Although I like paul pierce and kevin garnett as all-time great players, he traded the 2014 and 2016 first round picks to boston with atlanta and boston being able to swap picks in the 2015 and 2017 draft years. Having Paul Pierce defect to Washington along with Garnett's age, minute restriction(s), and declining athleticism makes it a somewhat bad trade now (although in hindsight, I believed that the trade would have made the nets contenders to compete against the heat).

I don't think he should be fired for this trade specifically since (at the time) it was a low-risk, high-reward transaction but the owner should rethink Billy King's job security more closely.
Lead Assistant
And1: 277

Post#17 » by 624 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:51 am

NyCeEvO wrote:
On a more serious note, he hasn't done anything recently (i.e. 1 1/2 years) that should warrant a firing.

Well not much you can do when you get rid of all your assets...
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#18 » by Prokorov » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:52 pm

FireBillyKing wrote:

We turned one of the worst coaches in the league into Lionel hollins and two 2nd rounders. thats an enormous win for King and the franchise. Also, king made it quick and kept everyone happy and it never dragged out. Being a gm is about maintaining relationships... players around the league see how the nets treat people, and that can go a long way in signing or trading for a player in the future. For instance, look at the morey/parsons situation. you cant just treat guys like assets or like its a fantasy league.

As far as hiring kidd, that was the russians, not king... he wanted Hollins.

As far as pierce, it was the right move to let him go. we need to let some of the younger players get some burn and small ball cant work with lopez.

as far as blatche, he clearly had off court issues and friction with the team. we didnt let him go, we told him to hit the road.

I think king is a terrible Gm, but he did a fantastic job. brought in hollins, was able to get karasev and jack for nothing but expirings. he was finally able to get bogdanovic over. he was able to get a trio of second round picks which resulted in a pair of players who ended up making the roster.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#19 » by Prokorov » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:57 pm

FireBillyKing wrote:

but what about...

Thus was a FANTASTIC trade for the nets. we were stuck in a spot where we coudlnt get worse and couldnt shed salary. we found a way to double down with some excellent veteran players in areas of need. all we gave up was a few mid to late first round draft picks.

i make that trade again in a heartbeat.
Antti22
Senior
And1: 233

Post#20 » by Antti22 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:42 pm

I think the part being overlooked in the Pierce/Garnett trade is that we gave Boston the arguably the worst contract in the league ( Which was given in a panic situation to satisfy D-Will), without getting back bad contracts. Also that Wallace contract would have taken away our possibility to re-tool in 2016.
Good trade, just didnt pan out the way we hoped. It was tottally worth a shot.

Return to Brooklyn Nets