ImageImageImageImageImage

Met Scalabrine last night

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Met Scalabrine last night 

Post#1 » by Prokorov » Wed Aug 6, 2014 2:30 pm

Was out celebrating a friends going away part last night in boston and ran in to scalabrine. I guess he is going to be doing broadcasting for the celtics this year. Guy is a super nice dude. Was suprised to run in to someone who remebered he started in a playoff game vs. the heat for us :D We talked about all kinds of basketball stuff. was interesting to get his opinion on things.... He was not high on mark jacks at all.

Said he worked out embiid and parker before the draft, is SUPER high on both of them. said they are the real deal. asked about wiggins, he said he didnt work him out, and said he cant tell from just watching games, he needs to like practice and be around the guys to evaluate them.

He said he is a huge J -kidd guy and was offered an assistant position in milwaukee. i asked about lionel hollins and he said he didnt know alot about him. asked him what he thought of billy king, said he was in a tough spot to make the team better and that alot more GMs are trying to win now instead of build and let the next GM take the credit.

we talked alot about coaches and systems. he says it has so much more of an impact then what you'd think and that team defense really comes down to buying in to it. he wasnt just spouting cliches, he talked about teams he was on where the top players didnt buy in and that really sets the tone. he said its more about the best players taking pride in defense much more so then the actual talent/defensive ability. he said thibs was the best coach he's ever played for, and has more value then the props he already gets.

I asked him about the cavs if/when they get love, he said that they are going to be an elite team. I brought up injury questions, he says players like love and kyrie on bad teams arent trying to play through injury, even i its something minor they are sitting out, but put them on a good team and they will be games and better defensively.
isekii
Sixth Man
And1: 207

Re: Met Scalabrine last night 

Post#2 » by isekii » Wed Aug 6, 2014 3:26 pm

Please tell me you referred to him as the "White Mamba"
Bynum = Future Olowokandi
Prepare to be disappointed Laker Fans.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,850

Post#3 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Aug 6, 2014 9:58 pm

Did you call him Veal?

Pretty cool of Kidd to offer him a job. At least Scal knows he wouldn't be told to sit down and shut the **** up. :lol:
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#4 » by NyCeEvO » Wed Aug 6, 2014 10:55 pm

Prokorov wrote:I guess he is going to be doing broadcasting for the celtics this year.

I assume you didn't hear about this tweet & article then...:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Scalabrine/status/496370783070224385[/tweet]
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#5 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Aug 6, 2014 11:15 pm

Pics or it didn't happen.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#6 » by Prokorov » Thu Aug 7, 2014 1:52 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:Pics or it didn't happen.

SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#7 » by SpeedyG » Thu Aug 7, 2014 4:41 pm

Prokorov wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:Pics or it didn't happen.

Oh snap you got told son!
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
kerry kittles
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,198

Post#8 » by kerry kittles » Thu Aug 7, 2014 9:50 pm

That's an awesome story. Cool to see former/current pro athletes that are down to earth and willing to have a longer conversation with a fan/regular person
KobeBryant24
Veteran
And1: 2,167

Post#9 » by KobeBryant24 » Fri Aug 8, 2014 8:18 am

Dude looks like hes still in his prime , whyd he retire SMh!
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#10 » by Paradise » Fri Aug 8, 2014 9:26 am

That's awesome. I remember hearing him do color commentary for the Celtics once. He's a very intelligent dude. He speaks about basketball in depth and lively. It's ashame we didn't offer him an assistant position or broadcast spot.
kerry kittles
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,198

Post#11 » by kerry kittles » Fri Aug 8, 2014 10:44 am

Paradise wrote:That's awesome. I remember hearing him do color commentary for the Celtics once. He's a very intelligent dude. He speaks about basketball in depth and lively. It's ashame we didn't offer him an assistant position or broadcast spot.

Should've gave him Donny Marshall's color commentator position. Can't be any worse
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#12 » by Prokorov » Fri Aug 8, 2014 3:16 pm

Paradise wrote:That's awesome. I remember hearing him do color commentary for the Celtics once. He's a very intelligent dude. He speaks about basketball in depth and lively. It's ashame we didn't offer him an assistant position or broadcast spot.

He is clearly passionate about the game and talked to me for like an hour about all kinds of things around the league. great dude.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Post#13 » by Keith Van Horn » Fri Aug 8, 2014 8:06 pm

Prok that's awesome dude. Did you ask him about KVH? Lol
Celtics2014
Sophomore
And1: 43

Post#14 » by Celtics2014 » Sat Aug 9, 2014 12:30 am

There is a radio talk show in Boston which set up one on one games between Scal and callers who dissed his ability as a NBA basketball player. You probably can find the video online. It was funny to see these guys who were hot shots in college play against an ex NBA player
I find your lack of faith disturbing.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,095

Post#15 » by therealbig3 » Sat Aug 9, 2014 12:37 am

That's awesome.

:beer:
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#16 » by Prokorov » Sat Aug 9, 2014 2:53 am

Celtics2014 wrote:There is a radio talk show in Boston which set up one on one games between Scal and callers who dissed his ability as a NBA basketball player. You probably can find the video online. It was funny to see these guys who were hot shots in college play against an ex NBA player

yes the "scallange" where he played a bunch of guys one on one. the show is toucher and rich on 98.5. one of the kinds he played in that (the tall dude from syracuse) was there as well

Return to Brooklyn Nets