ImageImageImageImageImage

Around the NBA, 2014-15 Season Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

JoseRizal
General Manager
And1: 2,233

Re: Around the NBA, 2014-15 Season Thread 

Post#161 » by JoseRizal » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:52 am

Thats annoying since he's still serviceable. I'm really wondering what the FO was thinking that time; Compete, Tank or just be a perpetual treadmill team...
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,095

Post#162 » by therealbig3 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:59 pm

Pierce would have been very solid here for us. But I can't blame Prokhorov if he felt that keeping Pierce and paying all that extra money in luxury taxes for a 2nd round exit anyway wasn't worth it. Losing in the 1st round vs losing in the 2nd round really doesn't mean much to us at this point...we're just trying to tread water and not give up lottery picks until we can start signing players in free agency.

What's more depressing is looking at the crop of 2016 free agents outside of Durant and not really seeing anyone that's worth it. Conley and Dwight would be nice, but Dwight is past his prime, and Conley probably isn't leaving Memphis...and if he was, there are other teams that are MUCH more attractive destinations.
therealbig3
RealGM

Post#163 » by therealbig3 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:02 pm

I'd LOVE to have Russell Westbrook though, if he decided to move on from OKC. But he's only a free agent after 2017.

Since coming back from injury, he's been the best player in the NBA.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#164 » by Prokorov » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:12 pm

therealbig3 wrote:Pierce would have been very solid here for us. But I can't blame Prokhorov if he felt that keeping Pierce and paying all that extra money in luxury taxes for a 2nd round exit anyway wasn't worth it. Losing in the 1st round vs losing in the 2nd round really doesn't mean much to us at this point...we're just trying to tread water and not give up lottery picks until we can start signing players in free agency.

What's more depressing is looking at the crop of 2016 free agents outside of Durant and not really seeing anyone that's worth it. Conley and Dwight would be nice, but Dwight is past his prime, and Conley probably isn't leaving Memphis...and if he was, there are other teams that are MUCH more attractive destinations.

i see what you are saying.... but for me a first vs. second round exit is a HUGE difference. beating the raptors last year was great, had we lost, it would have sucked.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#165 » by Prokorov » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:13 pm

Al jefferson out 4 weeks, that could be big for us in 3 ways:

1) they are behind us in the standings, could bury their playoff chances completely
2) could make guys like lance, gerald henderson, and marvin williams available, all guys who could help us
3) without jefferson, lopez could be a fit for them and maybe MJ knee jerks to try and save their season
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#166 » by Paradise » Fri Jan 2, 2015 1:56 am

We're only 2 games behind Cleveland in the standings. Let that sink in.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Post#167 » by Keith Van Horn » Fri Jan 2, 2015 2:18 am

Paradise wrote:We're only 2 games behind Cleveland in the standings. Let that sink in.

I think everyone in the east is beatable... we just need to figure out who the hell we are as a team.

I like the idea of keeping Deron with the bench unit so far... and continuing to find a suitor for Lopez, and hope we can get a quality PF or SG in return.

Also I like the JJ avatar a lot... very cool.
Paradise

Post#168 » by Paradise » Fri Jan 2, 2015 11:29 am

macgyver893 wrote:
Paradise wrote:We're only 2 games behind Cleveland in the standings. Let that sink in.

I think everyone in the east is beatable... we just need to figure out who the hell we are as a team.

I like the idea of keeping Deron with the bench unit so far... and continuing to find a suitor for Lopez, and hope we can get a quality PF or SG in return.

The only team I would fear facing in the playoffs right now is the Wizards. Everybody else seems beatable right now. Come playoff time when star power matters and defense locks in, Cleveland will most likely get exploited with their weak defenders and lack of depth. Toronto isn't a good defensive team and they will not average 110+ points in a 7 game series. Chicago needs MVP Rose to do anything significant and he's not even close to that and Atlanta has too many weak defenders.

Washington is the only complete team in the East right now capable of winning based on the pure talent of Wall/Beal or the gritty defense from Andre Miller, Nene, Gortat, Pierce, Hump, etc.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant

Post#169 » by Keith Van Horn » Fri Jan 2, 2015 3:12 pm

Andre Miller is still playing in this league?! WOW!

Also I agree that the Wiz are legit, but the other two teams that could really give us fits I think would be the Bulls and Hawks.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,852

Post#170 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jan 2, 2015 3:31 pm

I can't see us beating the Wizards, Hawks, or Bulls. Wizards are built properly from top to bottom, Hawks play excellent ball on both ends of the floor, and vs the Bulls I doubt Butler and Rose play that badly against us again.

Cavs, who knows. If Lebron is healthy I'm not betting on our chances.

Everyone else, sure I think as we are looking going forward yeah we can beat them.

Either way, I am pleased with the current progress.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#171 » by Prokorov » Fri Jan 2, 2015 3:36 pm

Paradise wrote:
macgyver893 wrote:

The only team I would fear facing in the playoffs right now is the Wizards. Everybody else seems beatable right now. Come playoff time when star power matters and defense locks in, Cleveland will most likely get exploited with their weak defenders and lack of depth. Toronto isn't a good defensive team and they will not average 110+ points in a 7 game series. Chicago needs MVP Rose to do anything significant and he's not even close to that and Atlanta has too many weak defenders.

Washington is the only complete team in the East right now capable of winning based on the pure talent of Wall/Beal or the gritty defense from Andre Miller, Nene, Gortat, Pierce, Hump, etc.

I agree with almost everything you said.... accept for atlanta. too many weak defenders? I feel like thats a strength for them, as almost their entire rotation is 2-way players. Teague, Milsap, Horford, and Carrolle all defend, and while korver doesnt have the reputation, he has been a really solid defender the last 3 seasons
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,852

Post#172 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jan 2, 2015 3:54 pm

korver gets his hands dirty on defense, his reputation as a deadly 3 pt shooter(50%!!! on the season from deep, good lord) makes people think that the guy is soft.

Can't sleep on Atlanta at all, they drubbed us with ease the last time we saw them too.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant

Post#173 » by Keith Van Horn » Fri Jan 2, 2015 4:06 pm

Yeah I really like what Atlanta has done over the years... quietly becoming like a Spurs-East... thats really what they remind me of, especially with Mike Budenholzer at the helm. They have their explosive playmaker PG in Teague (Parker), legit low post scoring threat in Horford/Milsap (Duncan), deadly distance shooter in Korver (Green), good wing defender/shooter in Carroll (Leonard), etc. They are a very well balanced team and have a great coach. And they're looking extra good now b/c they're in the East.
kerry kittles
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,198

Post#174 » by kerry kittles » Sat Jan 3, 2015 3:07 am

We (mainly as in this board) really should reevaluate pushing to get every underachieving cancerous personality on this team. I know lack of effort is a common concern around here, but objectively look at things.

Lance Stephenson has not played well this season. The Hornets have been worse without him. The Pacers want TWO 1st round picks just to take him back and his salary isn't that bad. Most guys in the Pacers locker room don't want him back.

The Pistons won 5 of their first 28 games. Since releasing Josh Smith they are 4-0, all wins by double digits. The Rockets are getting destroyed by the Pelicans currently, down 30, and are about to be 2-3 with Josh Smith. Over those 5 games he is 16/48 from the field.

Jason Kidd now doesn't want Larry Sanders around the team. He doesn't have a friendly contract at all.
kerry kittles
Assistant Coach

Post#175 » by kerry kittles » Sat Jan 3, 2015 3:16 am

therealbig3 wrote:Pierce would have been very solid here for us. But I can't blame Prokhorov if he felt that keeping Pierce and paying all that extra money in luxury taxes for a 2nd round exit anyway wasn't worth it. Losing in the 1st round vs losing in the 2nd round really doesn't mean much to us at this point...we're just trying to tread water and not give up lottery picks until we can start signing players in free agency.

Yes, i can understand Prok's decision as he's paying more than any other owner in the league. As a fan it's obviously disappointing being in this position- both the decision's King's made and the underachieving our highly-paid players.

I disagree with losing in the 1st round vs 2nd doesn't mean much. Compare the last two seasons and last season making it to the 2nd round was more enjoyable despite the higher expectations. Can you imagine how insufferable it would be with all those Raptors trolls if we lost to them. Beating them, the excitement of that block Pierce on the final possession were high points. It would've been so deflating if he hit that.

Pierce does everything better than Mirza and is so much more consistent. And night like tonight where we nearly gave up a 26 point lead in the 4th having a strong, calming, leadership presence on the court would undoubtedly help. I know it's beating a dead horse, but I gained a lot of respect for Pierce last year and would've liked to see him around here for another year or two. I get the financial implications, but as a fan i would've enjoyed it as we'd be better and not really hurt the development of Plumlee or Karasev.
therealbig3
RealGM

Post#176 » by therealbig3 » Sat Jan 3, 2015 6:52 am

Not to speak too soon...but we're 7.5 back of Toronto for the division now. Still a sizeable gap, but not insurmountable if we can keep up our recent level of play. I honestly think that Toronto has been playing over their heads all year, and that they'll regress eventually.
Paradise

Re: Re: Around the NBA, 2014-15 Season Thread 

Post#177 » by Paradise » Sat Jan 3, 2015 2:20 pm

kerry kittles wrote:We (mainly as in this board) really should reevaluate pushing to get every underachieving cancerous personality on this team. I know lack of effort is a common concern around here, but objectively look at things.

Lance Stephenson has not played well this season. The Hornets have been worse without him. The Pacers want TWO 1st round picks just to take him back and his salary isn't that bad. Most guys in the Pacers locker room don't want him back.

The Pistons won 5 of their first 28 games. Since releasing Josh Smith they are 4-0, all wins by double digits. The Rockets are getting destroyed by the Pelicans currently, down 30, and are about to be 2-3 with Josh Smith. Over those 5 games he is 16/48 from the field.

Jason Kidd now doesn't want Larry Sanders around the team. He doesn't have a friendly contract at all.

Imagine if Proky gave Kidd free reign. He would've traded for Sanders on a terrible cap space killing contract and Lopez and Teletovic would be thriving in Milwaukee alongside Parker, Giannis, Knight, etc.

That proposed trade idea would've ruined any hopes in 2016 and caused a bigger toxic mess. Regardless of how good a coach Kidd is in Milwaukee, he's still an idiot.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#178 » by NyCeEvO » Sun Jan 4, 2015 2:08 am

therealbig3 wrote:Not to speak too soon...but we're 7.5 back of Toronto for the division now. Still a sizeable gap, but not insurmountable if we can keep up our recent level of play. I honestly think that Toronto has been playing over their heads all year, and that they'll regress eventually.

So our 6-1 stretch against mostly mediocre competition is more indicative of our true skill level than the Raptors 30+ games of good play and a 58-28 record since the Rudy trade last year?

They're on their longest and toughest road trip of the season, their schedule after PHX turns back to being easy, and they've been missing DeRozan for a month.

I think we're getting way ahead of ourselves if we're just writing off the Raptors like they won't be a serious challenge.
kerry kittles
Assistant Coach

Post#179 » by kerry kittles » Mon Jan 5, 2015 2:00 am

NyCeEvO wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:Not to speak too soon...but we're 7.5 back of Toronto for the division now. Still a sizeable gap, but not insurmountable if we can keep up our recent level of play. I honestly think that Toronto has been playing over their heads all year, and that they'll regress eventually.

So our 6-1 stretch against mostly mediocre competition is more indicative of our true skill level than the Raptors 30+ games of good play and a 58-28 record since the Rudy trade last year?

They're on their longest and toughest road trip of the season, their schedule after PHX turns back to being easy, and they've been missing DeRozan for a month.

I think we're getting way ahead of ourselves if we're just writing off the Raptors like they won't be a serious challenge.

Yes there's no way we are catching the Raptors. We've had the easiest schedule in the league thus far. After the 6ers game next week our schedule is brutal until March. The Raptors have an easy schedule like you mentioned this month. And most importantly we are not nearly as good as them.
SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#180 » by SpeedyG » Mon Jan 5, 2015 9:41 pm

Definitely should have traded Brook for this Larry Sanders fella :lol:
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09

Return to Brooklyn Nets