kerry kittles
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,198

Re: Game Thread: Nets @ Pistons - 11/1/14 7:30pm 

Post#21 » by kerry kittles » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:34 pm

F3LON wrote:
kerry kittles wrote:
jeff1624 wrote:
Dude has a life outside of basketball. He can't enjoy Halloween?

My athletic department in college, D1 program, had a 48 hour rule where athletes weren't allowed to drink 48 hours before a game/competition. And I believe that's a pretty universal thing for all D1 programs. So yes, I do have a bit of an issue with posting about turning up last night - 48 hours before a game. 2 out of my 4 years in college I didn't drink on Halloween because I was focused on my athletics and I didn't have a game 2 days after or even close. And after dog **** performances when i took the sport more seriously I was too pissed to go out because I felt I didn't earn it.

Maybe he should drink before the game. He might actually drive to the basket if he had beer balls.

Yea, unlike our former coach we never have to worry about Deron picking up a DUI. He never drives.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#22 » by Paradise » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:59 pm

kerry kittles wrote:
macgyver893 wrote:
kerry kittles wrote:
My athletic department in college, D1 program, had a 48 hour rule where athletes weren't allowed to drink 48 hours before a game/competition. And I believe that's a pretty universal thing for all D1 programs. So yes, I do have a bit of an issue with posting about turning up last night - 48 hours before a game. 2 out of my 4 years in college I didn't drink on Halloween because I was focused on my athletics and I didn't have a game 2 days after or even close. And after dog **** performances when i took the sport more seriously I was too pissed to go out because I felt I didn't earn it.

Ditto, I played lacrosse at a competitive D3 school and we had the same policy. But then again you're still a kid in college. Deron is an adult, so I guess it's not as big a deal.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums

Yes maybe in part this is an overreaction on my part. I'm just frustrated with him:

Lebron cuts sugar out of his diet for 67 days. Could DWill go a day without it?

Lowry was inconsolable after we knocked the Raptors out. Just sat ther in the locker room for hours without taking his jersey off. He was absolutely crushed about that defeat.

This is a tweet from Lillard before he made it to the NBA "Bouta head to the gym. . . Real players follow through with consistently puttin in work long after emotions have left their body." The guy who was drafted with the pick we sent out for Gerald Wallace and is now better than anyone on this team. Look at Derozan's twitter and Instagram and that guy is always in the gym.

I wish the face of our franchise was a gym rat with deep passion for the game. Whose passion is contagious, a leader, a guy who won't accept mediocrity. A guy who doesn't just talk about being 600 times better than he was last year, but instead lets his game prove that he is. It was another frustrating game for Deron in our opener and as a fan I'm frustrated with his continued laise faire attitude.

I wish alot of things with Deron but this is seriously going too far. He's entitled to his life. Being a gym rat is such an illusion.
kerry kittles
Assistant Coach

Post#23 » by kerry kittles » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:09 pm

Paradise wrote:
kerry kittles wrote:
macgyver893 wrote:Ditto, I played lacrosse at a competitive D3 school and we had the same policy. But then again you're still a kid in college. Deron is an adult, so I guess it's not as big a deal.

Yes maybe in part this is an overreaction on my part. I'm just frustrated with him:

Lowry was inconsolable after we knocked the Raptors out. Just sat ther in the locker room for hours without taking his jersey off. He was absolutely crushed about that defeat.

This is a tweet from Lillard before he made it to the NBA "Bouta head to the gym. . . Real players follow through with consistently puttin in work long after emotions have left their body." The guy who was drafted with the pick we sent out for Gerald Wallace and is now better than anyone on this team. Look at Derozan's twitter and Instagram and that guy is always in the gym.

I wish the face of our franchise was a gym rat with deep passion for the game. Whose passion is contagious, a leader, a guy who won't accept mediocrity. A guy who doesn't just talk about being 600 times better than he was last year, but instead lets his game prove that he is. It was another frustrating game for Deron in our opener and as a fan I'm frustrated with his continued laise faire attitude.

I wish alot of things with Deron but this is seriously going too far. He's entitled to his life. Being a gym rat is such an illusion.

I say it may be an overreaction on my part in the 1st sentence. My frustration is with him saying he's 300 times better than last year than thoroughly getting out played by Rondo and then seeing him on twitter talking about turning up. I get that's he human, but from our "star" I've been disappointed by his dedication and love for the game during his tenure here. I know college athletes who abstain from alcohol during their seasons because they take their sport that seriously and those are guys without pro aspirations, who will make a living elsewhere. I also get the NBA season is long, there's many games, etc. but I just think you should pick and choose your spots. For a team/player needing to find it's way and bounce back I don't think 48 hours before a game is the time that's my point.

And I don't think being a gym rat is an illusion. Look at the Eddy Curry and Bargs compared to the Doug McDermotts, the Shaun Livingstons, etc. There's varying levels of dedication to the sport and it separates players. Lebron just put this on IG the other day and it's true #WorkBeatsTalentEverydayWhenTalentDoesntWork
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#24 » by Trader_Joe » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:24 pm

kerry kittles wrote:
Paradise wrote:
kerry kittles wrote:

I say it may be an overreaction on my part in the 1st sentence. My frustration is with him saying he's 300 times better than last year than thoroughly getting out played by Rondo and then seeing him on twitter talking about turning up. I get that's he human, but from our "star" I've been disappointed by his dedication and love for the game during his tenure here. I know college athletes who abstain from alcohol during their seasons because they take their sport that seriously and those are guys without pro aspirations, who will make a living elsewhere. I also get the NBA season is long, there's many games, etc. but I just think you should pick and choose your spots. For a team/player needing to find it's way and bounce back I don't think 48 hours before a game is the time that's my point.

And I don't think being a gym rat is an illusion. Look at the Eddy Curry and Bargs compared to the Doug McDermotts, the Shaun Livingstons, etc. There's varying levels of dedication to the sport and it separates players. Lebron just put this on IG the other day and it's true #WorkBeatsTalentEverydayWhenTalentDoesntWork

Rondo is and has been better than Williams for years. To me that wasn't the surprise nor do I think Deron was the worst offender out there...by far. In fact I thought he was playing better and harder than most.

As for the pic, I'm sure most NBA players are doing something similar..but the timing and decision to post it was questionable.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#25 » by MGrand15 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:35 pm

kerry kittles wrote:
macgyver893 wrote:
kerry kittles wrote:

Ditto, I played lacrosse at a competitive D3 school and we had the same policy. But then again you're still a kid in college. Deron is an adult, so I guess it's not as big a deal.

Deron cut sugar out for awhile during the summer. Went no carb for a period, then low carb, now he's completely eating healthy. No/low carb isn't really something that should be done during the season.

Who said Deron was drinking alcohol? Is there a picture of him drinking?

The only picture is of him drinking Red Bull. Don't know why you're assuming that a born again Christian is partying hard like he's JR Smith.

Deron is NOT a fan of the media. Twitter and IG has nothing to do with how hard you're working. The only way to find stuff on his summer this year is by going on his best friends IG who was his diet/workout partner. Even that stuff is minimal. He knows that people like you twist everything into negatives. All that matters is results. Not his post game quotes, not twitter rants, no instagram pictures. You guys know that. If he said all the right things and posted pictures of him working out every day (like he did often last summer), but stunk it up, would you really feel better?

No.

So stop digging into this guys life if we all know it's meaningless at the end of the day.
Paradise

Post#26 » by Paradise » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:42 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:
kerry kittles wrote:
Paradise wrote:

Rondo is and has been better than Williams for years. To me that wasn't the surprise nor do I think Deron was the worst offender out there...by far. In fact I thought he was playing better and harder than most.

As for the pic, I'm sure most NBA players are doing something similar..but the timing and decision to post it was questionable.

1. What does alcohol have to do anything? It was a party where family, friends and teammates were all invited. All teams and players throw them around this time.

2. Being a gym rat is extremely overrated. Marquis Teague, Toko Shengelia all had alot of work ethic and determination along with talent to be quality contributors and they still stink.

3. His mindset to be 100% determined and committed to a championship is certainly lacking but he does have work ethic. He could've been a total bitch and ignored the ankle surgery if he didn't care but he also does have a life. You're making him out to be some party addict like JR Smith. His wife posted the pictures, btw.
kerry kittles
Assistant Coach

Post#27 » by kerry kittles » Sat Nov 1, 2014 12:01 am

MGrand15 wrote:
kerry kittles wrote:
macgyver893 wrote:Ditto, I played lacrosse at a competitive D3 school and we had the same policy. But then again you're still a kid in college. Deron is an adult, so I guess it's not as big a deal.

Deron cut sugar out for awhile during the summer. Went no carb for a period, then low carb, now he's completely eating healthy. No/low carb isn't really something that should be done during the season.

The only picture is of him drinking Red Bull. Don't know why you're assuming that a born again Christian is partying hard like he's JR Smith.

Deron is NOT a fan of the media. Twitter and IG has nothing to do with how hard you're working. The only way to find stuff on his summer this year is by going on his best friends IG who was his diet/workout partner. Even that stuff is minimal. He knows that people like you twist everything into negatives. All that matters is results. Not his post game quotes, not twitter rants, no instagram pictures. You guys know that. If he said all the right things and posted pictures of him working out every day (like he did often last summer), but stunk it up, would you really feel better?

No.

So stop digging into this guys life if we all know it's meaningless at the end of the day.

I saw this on twitter, and probably misinterpreted scrolling through my timeline:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DeronWilliams/status/528209574315425792[/tweet]

I don't know all the details of is personal stance on religion and drinking. I just am frustrated about our team and his performance in the home opener and i see on twitter him talking about how real things got at his Halloween party.
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#28 » by MGrand15 » Sat Nov 1, 2014 12:10 am

kerry kittles wrote:
MGrand15 wrote:
kerry kittles wrote:

No.

I saw this on twitter, and probably misinterpreted scrolling through my timeline:

That's Red Bull though. He could've been drinking alcohol but all I see is a guy promoting one of his sponsors. At a party with his wife. That's not a picture of him chugging a beer or something.
kerry kittles
Assistant Coach

Post#29 » by kerry kittles » Sat Nov 1, 2014 12:23 am

MGrand15 wrote:
kerry kittles wrote:
MGrand15 wrote:

No.

That's Red Bull though. He could've been drinking alcohol but all I see is a guy promoting one of his sponsors. At a party with his wife. That's not a picture of him chugging a beer or something.

I haven't been to parties that got so real without alcohol, but maybe that's creative redbull marketing speak.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#30 » by Prokorov » Sat Nov 1, 2014 12:46 am

Trader_Joe wrote:
F3LON wrote:KG
AK
JJ
Anderson
DWill

This needs to be the lineup.

We need KG's rebounding and defense at center. As a PF he is subpar.

We need AK's defensive range to help cover on the PnR

We need Anderson's chippiness and defense. We were way too soft vs Boston. AA has a lot of dog in him and he wont let people get a lay up without knocking their azz to the ground.

Worried there is not enough offense there.

I would do...

D.Will
JJ
AK
Teletovic
KG

offense is fine as long as joe is on the floor. and offense doenst matter if we cant get stops. i like the anderson version better as JJ isnt great gaurding 2's and AK is better as a 4.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#31 » by Prokorov » Sat Nov 1, 2014 12:48 am

kerry kittles wrote:
macgyver893 wrote:
kerry kittles wrote:

this thread sums up everything ive said since we moved to brooklyn.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#32 » by Prokorov » Sat Nov 1, 2014 12:50 am

i dont care if dwill drinks a 6 pack during warm ups... i just want to see effort and balls out of him. not some emo pansy who dogs it
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#33 » by Prokorov » Sat Nov 1, 2014 1:19 am

lopez out for tommorow.

could of sureley used his size. pistons roughed us up last year... all irrelevant if we dont come with 10 times the effort we did last game
Paradise

Post#34 » by Paradise » Sat Nov 1, 2014 2:05 am

Prokorov wrote:i dont care if dwill drinks a 6 pack during warm ups... i just want to see effort and balls out of him. not some emo pansy who dogs it

I'm pretty sure he isn't dogging it and I'm pretty sure nobody is.. Deron didn't get surgery just to be lazy and give up for 82 games.

Everyone here needs to stop being so damn emotional and think rationally.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#35 » by Prokorov » Sat Nov 1, 2014 2:22 am

Paradise wrote:
Prokorov wrote:i dont care if dwill drinks a 6 pack during warm ups... i just want to see effort and balls out of him. not some emo pansy who dogs it

I'm pretty sure he isn't dogging it and I'm pretty sure nobody is.. Deron didn't get surgery just to be lazy and give up for 82 games.

its who he is... he has been a lazy dog for a while. he clearly didnt bring his A game or bust his hump. we have seen dwill play where he comes with alot of energy. there is no excuse for him not to on opening night or really any night

he was lazy, passive, and showed 0 passion in that game... maybe people are just so used to it they dont notice

to say this team is playing hard or with their best effort is laughable. its been a major issue for a couple seasons now. its why king and hollins have addressed toughness, effort, and leadership several times.

i just cant fathom how anyone who watches the games can say this team plays hard or with high effort
Paradise

Post#36 » by Paradise » Sat Nov 1, 2014 5:35 am

Prokorov wrote:
Paradise wrote:

its who he is... he has been a lazy dog for a while. he clearly didnt bring his A game or bust his hump. we have seen dwill play where he comes with alot of energy. there is no excuse for him not to on opening night or really any night

he was lazy, passive, and showed 0 passion in that game... maybe people are just so used to it they dont notice

to say this team is playing hard or with their best effort is laughable. its been a major issue for a couple seasons now. its why king and hollins have addressed toughness, effort, and leadership several times.

i just cant fathom how anyone who watches the games can say this team plays hard or with high effort

I never said the team was playing hard. This is strictly about the usual Deron crap that has become eye rolling inducing around here.

Nobody just shows up to purposely play poorly, if he still can't dominate the game or his matchup then he simply is a vastly declining player. We've seen him play with energy and when your declining, it becomes less and less consistent. I'm not totally shutting the book on him but if he looks like crap against for the rest of the month, then it's beyond mental toughness and it is a legit decline.

I've been already accepted this team for what it is. I suggest others do the same. Begging and complaining for the samething over and over is just getting foolish now.
cammac
General Manager
And1: 6,216

Post#37 » by cammac » Sat Nov 1, 2014 12:00 pm

Well the Nets are playing the Pistons at the right time.
Drummond has played like a POS the 1st 2 games poor shooting not rebounding well and his usual less than adequate defense and Monroe is in the last game of his DUI suspension.
Augustine is starting at PG over Jennings and Smith is terrible.
Really not many positives if you can't beat them a terrible season.
kerry kittles
Assistant Coach

Post#38 » by kerry kittles » Sat Nov 1, 2014 12:58 pm

cammac wrote:Well the Nets are playing the Pistons at the right time.
Drummond has played like a POS the 1st 2 games poor shooting not rebounding well and his usual less than adequate defense and Monroe is in the last game of his DUI suspension.
Augustine is starting at PG over Jennings and Smith is terrible.
Really not many positives if you can't beat them a terrible season.

Monroe is back. It was a 2 game suspension. This is game 3 for the Pistons. The Nets were 1-3 against the Pistons last year. Drummond average 20 and 18 against us last year on 67% shooting. I don't care about his first 2 games of the season, he's definitely going to get his. Augustine over Jennings is a good thing. We matchup terribly against them without having Brook as they have too much size and will dominate the boards and 2nd chance points.

And most importantly when does one early regular season game dictate how the season will play out? Are the Cavs not for real because the couldn't beat the Knicks?
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Post#39 » by Keith Van Horn » Sat Nov 1, 2014 3:51 pm

We are going to get smashed on the boards. A 10+ differential if I had to guess.

Prokorov
RealGM

Post#40 » by Prokorov » Sat Nov 1, 2014 3:59 pm

macgyver893 wrote:We are going to get smashed on the boards. A 10+ differential if I had to guess.

im more concerned about points in the paint... we cant be as bad letting guys get right to the hoop and as bad in the pick and roll. doesnt matter who is in, KG, Plumlee, Brook, Hakeem Olojuwon if you let guys get to the rim uncontested you arent going to win games.

trap it or give up the jumper. thise hedging crap doesnt work when you hvae a slow team. last year with pierce at the 4 and KG at the 5 we had the speed to do it. doenst work with KG at the 4 or mirza at the 4.

Gaurd defrense was just bad. no ways around it

Return to Brooklyn Nets