ImageImageImageImageImage

Game Thread: Magic vs Nets 11/9/14 3:30 PM

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,094

Re: Game Thread: Magic vs Nets 11/9/14 3:30 PM 

Post#101 » by therealbig3 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:59 am

Garnett said he saw something he wanted to stop in Vucevic’s game, “but if I told you it would be worthless.”

Credit to The Brooklyn Game.

This is why I call KG a defensive genius. The guy just sees things that other people don't.

I know I come across like a KG homer, and IDC. Dude's a boss.

If Lopez could learn even half of what KG knows defensively, he'd be a SIGNIFICANTLY better player than he is right now.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#102 » by Prokorov » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:56 pm

jbeachboy wrote:Any chance lopez ever learns how to defend and rebound under hollins?

well if he cant, i think you have to throw in the towel on him. if hollins cant get him to do those things then im not sure any coach can.

I just dont think its in his DNA. he isnt passionate about basketball he is passionate about comics.

I think he will continue to work and work hard but i dont think he will ever be driven to great or the best he can be
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#103 » by Prokorov » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:00 pm

therealbig3 wrote:I'm not going to completely write off Lopez after a small stretch of games in which he's still rusty...I'm sure he's going to play better.

But I definitely think the numbers he puts up are a little empty, and people are too quick to ignore his flaws and just how he goes about putting up those numbers. He doesn't do it in a way that's most conducive to winning basketball, imo. Still a good player, but there are quite a few players that might not put up the pretty numbers that Lopez does, but they're players that I think are helping their team just as much if not more than Lopez.

This is what I have been getting at for a while. I've been super hard on lopez for sure... over the top at times. But people coming back with his PER or effciency or scoring just refused to believe that his stats are kind of empty. I've just never felt that he has had the impact that the box score would suggest he had.

I think he is fine as long as he isnt one of your top options or a guy making the max or if you can suppliment him with defensive bigs and have a coach willing to sit him for stretches
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#104 » by Prokorov » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:04 pm

Paradise wrote:I like what I'm seeing. The individual improvement is there but the defensive end is scary bad. I think we will better. This team needs a culture shock. I'm glad Hollins is calling out Brook.

In terms of Joe's comments, I love it to be honest. Even if he had a poor game, he has earned the right to show some form of leadership. We've been waiting for someone to take accountability.

This is spot on... the team has long needed a leader to call out other guys. Joe Johnson has sacraficed a ton as far as shots, play style, and stats for this team. If anyone wants to complain about others being selfish it should be him since he has been so unselfish.

Love what im seeing out of hollins and now johnson. The team is at its best when johnson is the focal point
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#105 » by Prokorov » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:06 pm

MGrand15 wrote:
Just to add: after scoring 10 straight points in the 1st quarter, he didn't check back into the game until there were 2 minutes left in the 2nd. That probably annoyed him since he probably thought he was in for a big night.

thats not really accurate... he started the second quarter... they didnt pull him at the end of the first. with having played the entire first and starting the second its not eally unusual he didnt check back in until right before halftime.

and i liked the move... he was hot so hollings rode him to start the 2nd
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#106 » by Prokorov » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:06 pm

GODeron wrote:Deron Williams so far...

19 ppg
49% FG%
32% 3P%
7 apg
2.5 tov

TOP 4 PG behind CP3, Curry and Wall?

id have lowry over him but he is playing at a high level the last 3 games for sure
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#107 » by Prokorov » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:11 pm

my thoughts on the game...

1) we shouldnt be struggling with the magic at home when their gaurds arent even playing well. payton was trash and ridnour should not be having success vs us. IF we are fending off terrible teams at home thats not a great sign.

2) Bogs looked good again, love how hard the dude plays. he is a keeper.

3) dwill looked really good again and i like how JJ played with some anger down the stretch.

4) Hollins is the man... none of our past coaches would have benched lopez down the stretch. hollins doesnt care who you are or what you make, if you arent getting it done he is gonna sit you. sitting brook late helped us win. Vucevic was non exsistant once KG was on him.

4-2 isnt bad, but id be lying if i said i wasnt a bit disappinted the first 6 games. no reason we arent 5-1 or 6-0 right now other then 2 pathetic efforts vs the wolves and celtics. We have played nothing but bad lotto bound teams and a thunder team that would lose 60 games if they didnt have durant/russ the whole year.

We could be 4-6 after this road trip if we dont step it up defensiely. on the other hand if we go and take 3 of 4 on the road thats a big statement.
HelloBrooklyn
Rookie
And1: 68

Post#108 » by HelloBrooklyn » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:46 pm

Bogs reminds me of a young Manu Ginobili. This guy is legit
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#109 » by Prokorov » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:00 pm

HelloBrooklyn wrote:Bogs reminds me of a young Manu Ginobili. This guy is legit

i lvoe bogs so far but i dont really see that comparison. Manu was an unreal slasher and an insane finisher at the rim who was also able to get to the FT line 6 or so times a game. i dont see that from bogs.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#110 » by Prokorov » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:03 pm

macgyver893 wrote:You guys hear Hollins in post game about Brook? "He was watching Vuv make shots, so he didn't get to play, simple. Decided to go with Kg to close it, and it worked better." Said he hopes Brook gets better from this for future games so he can play.

+1 Hollins.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums

after 4 or 5 tries we finally have a real coach :D
HelloBrooklyn
Rookie
And1: 68

Post#111 » by HelloBrooklyn » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:31 pm

Prokorov wrote:
HelloBrooklyn wrote:Bogs reminds me of a young Manu Ginobili. This guy is legit

i lvoe bogs so far but i dont really see that comparison. Manu was an unreal slasher and an insane finisher at the rim who was also able to get to the FT line 6 or so times a game. i dont see that from bogs.

The reason Manu is such a great slasher is because he is in the top 3 fastest shot release in the league. He uses a triple threat pump/jab to create an imbalance towards the defender and uses witts to create contact, defensive rotation, etc. for him to score. That is where Manu base his whole entire game because of his shot.

As far as the Bogs comparison I'm not saying they are completely alike but Bogs has a really quick shot release. He hasn't utilize this skill yet since he is still unknown around the league. He is also really flashy and creative in the open court like the way Manu played his first 2 years in the league. I hope you know what i'm talking about because this how Manu torched us his rookie year in the NBA finals against us. I'm still having flashes from that year with his crazy behind the back moves
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#112 » by Prokorov » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:52 pm

also, after watching this game, i stick by my prediction that payton will be an enormous bust. he is like all the bad of rajon rondo without any of the good.
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#113 » by MGrand15 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:04 pm

therealbig3 wrote:
Garnett said he saw something he wanted to stop in Vucevic’s game, “but if I told you it would be worthless.”

This is why I call KG a defensive genius. The guy just sees things that other people don't.

If Lopez could learn even half of what KG knows defensively, he'd be a SIGNIFICANTLY better player than he is right now.

To be fair - it doesnt take a genius to see that Vucevic was scoring all his points off of open jump shots, offensive rebounds and deep paint catches :lol: Not to take anything away from KG. Not many Cs can effectively stop all 3 and play effective help defense. KG is so quick and physical that when he plays up on guys like Vucevic and Frye, he can shut down the jump shot and the drive. Lopez wasnt confident enough in his ability to stop the drive to press up effectively.

It's funny that consensus around the league/media is that KG is done (even guys on this board were saying that after watching him all of last year) yet he can completely shut down a young center who just signed a huge contract in the middle of a career night. While racking up 7 dimes.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#114 » by Prokorov » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:09 pm

MGrand15 wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:

To be fair - it doesnt take a genius to see that Vucevic was scoring all his points off of open jump shots, offensive rebounds and deep paint catches :lol: Not to take anything away from KG. Not many Cs can effectively stop all 3 and play effective help defense. KG is so quick and physical that when he plays up on guys like Vucevic and Frye, he can shut down the jump shot and the drive. Lopez wasnt confident enough in his ability to stop the drive to press up effectively.

It's funny that consensus around the league/media is that KG is done (even guys on this board were saying that after watching him all of last year) yet he can completely shut down a young center who just signed a huge contract in the middle of a career night. While racking up 7 dimes.

he is less cooked at Center. he needs to play there more. id like to see us go with KG at center and mirza or AK at PF. that maxmizes what KG does. at PF he looks pretty awful
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Post#115 » by DarkXaero » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:13 pm

I understand why Hollins benched Lopez and I agree with the move, but I feel like he should be more careful in regards to his comments on players. He already criticized Brook a lot after the Twolves game, and he criticized him again a lot last night after the game. It's okay to criticize your player's performance in the media, every once in a while, but if you keep doing it, there's a real risk of alienating and angering the player.

If you look at some all time great coaches, they were masters at team management and managing egos. While not a basketball example, Sir Alex Ferguson for Manchester United used to protect his players in the media a lot, even though he would go off on them in the locker room.
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#116 » by MGrand15 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:13 pm

Cant believe a basketball fan would say Brook is passionate about comics not bball. Skip Bayless level stuff.

Brook will be fine. This shows that Hollins is willing to make adjustments if Brook is struggling or there's a bad matchup. As a slow footed giant who's played a handful of games in the last year, there's gonna be nights where Brook doesnt work. Ideally we'd have Plumlee to back Brook up but he's clearly not ready at all.

Hollins is going about this the right way. Thats all that matters. Its up to Brook to step it up.
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#117 » by DarkXaero » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:15 pm

MGrand15 wrote:Cant believe a basketball fan would say Brook is passionate about comics not bball. Skip Bayless level stuff.

Brook will be fine. This shows that Hollins is willing to make adjustments if Brook is struggling or there's a bad matchup. As a slow footed giant who's played a handful of games in the last year, there's gonna be nights where Brook doesnt work. Ideally we'd have Plumlee to back Brook up but he's clearly not ready at all.

Hollins is going about this the right way. Thats all that matters. Its up to Brook to step it up.
Especially after he just said this in a recent interview:

What bothers him in terms of criticism...

"I’d say if there was anything, it would be more that I pay more attention or care more about off-court stuff, my other interests that somehow are taken in a negative way, and that I don’t care about the game as much as I should, ’cause I love the game, I’ve played it my entire life. It’s what I do, it’s my job, it’s what I live for, and I love being out on the floor."

Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#118 » by Paradise » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:21 pm

DarkXaero wrote:I understand why Hollins benched Lopez and I agree with the move, but I feel like he should be more careful in regards to his comments on players. He already criticized Brook a lot after the Twolves game, and he criticized him again a lot last night after the game. It's okay to criticize your player's performance in the media, every once in a while, but if you keep doing it, there's a real risk of alienating and angering the player.

If you look at some all time great coaches, they were masters at team management and managing egos. While not a basketball example, Sir Alex Ferguson for Manchester United used to protect his players in the media a lot, even though he would go off on them in the locker room.

Yeah but when you are giving up 70% as an interior defender, you need to be called out. Brook has showed he could be a great rim protector. It's a matter of focus. He's not even trying on certain possessions.
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#119 » by DarkXaero » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:27 pm

Paradise wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:I understand why Hollins benched Lopez and I agree with the move, but I feel like he should be more careful in regards to his comments on players. He already criticized Brook a lot after the Twolves game, and he criticized him again a lot last night after the game. It's okay to criticize your player's performance in the media, every once in a while, but if you keep doing it, there's a real risk of alienating and angering the player.

Yeah but when you are giving up 70% as an interior defender, you need to be called out. Brook has showed he could be a great rim protector. It's a matter of focus. He's not even trying on certain possessions.
Well, Hollins can certainly let Brook know that inside the locker room, without the media. What I'm saying is that there is a major difference between criticizing a player inside a locker room privately, and doing it publicly. If you keep roasting your player publicly, it can lead to serious problems between the coach and the player. Which is why it's not wise to do that
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#120 » by Paradise » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:45 pm

DarkXaero wrote:
Paradise wrote:

Well, Hollins can certainly let Brook know that inside the locker room, without the media. What I'm saying is that there is a major difference between criticizing a player inside a locker room privately, and doing it publicly. If you keep roasting your player publicly, it can lead to serious problems between the coach and the player. Which is why it's not wise to do that

Lionel has said since Day 1 that Brook has to defend and rebound better. If it's not working in the locker room, what other alternative is there?

If Brook is angry, he needs to go do something about it.

Return to Brooklyn Nets