ImageImageImageImageImage

The state of the franchise

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Re: The state of the franchise 

Post#41 » by Keith Van Horn » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:02 pm

Things could turn around nicely with a Johnson and Lopez trade. As long as we get younger and secure some good talent, I'll be happy. The product that's being trotted out on a nightly basis now is sickening.

However I think a couple of other moves could really help us too:

-Resign Blatche for the second half of the season (IFF Lopez is traded)
-Start playing KG off the bench, which has been a glaring weakness all year long
Zachbretton
Rookie
And1: 322

The state of the franchise 

Post#42 » by Zachbretton » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:27 pm

I've been thinking about this recently, would you guys support Hollins if the higher up (or new higher ups, if and when that happens) offered him a Stan Van / Rivers type deal? I think through all of this, I trust Hollins 1000x more than I do Billy and would be interested in seeing the team he could put together if he had control?

Let me know what you guys think

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#43 » by Prokorov » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:47 pm

Zachbretton wrote:I've been thinking about this recently, would you guys support Hollins if the higher up (or new higher ups, if and when that happens) offered him a Stan Van / Rivers type deal? I think through all of this, I trust Hollins 1000x more than I do Billy and would be interested in seeing the team he could put together if he had control?

absolutely, in fact id be all for it.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,853

Post#44 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:12 pm

I'd be all for it because the last time Hollins had players that were worth a damn his team was making noise.

These players are just weak and they lack talent
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Zachbretton
Rookie

Post#45 » by Zachbretton » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:11 pm

I just feel that at this point, I'd rather put all my eggs into the Hollins basket because he's the ONLY person in this franchise who is a proven winner. At this point I'm just looking for anyway this team can become worth a damn
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,285

Post#46 » by brackdan70 » Mon Feb 2, 2015 4:40 am

I don't mean to rub it in (even though maybe it seems like it)...but Nets fans unfortunately have to look far in the future.
http://prospect-central.blogspot.com/20 ... M77XUsihuY

hope that the team puts a lot of effort into scouting the 2019 draft class. there is time.

in the mean time hope for decent ownership, which seems possible. Hope that ownership gets a new GM quickly...which also seems possible. and you have to nail this years first rounder..likely #30.

I don't think you can trade Lopez, Johnson or Williams...and you shouldn't unless there is another sucker GM out there??? They are at least an average core. once they become FAs. evaluate and be smart about whether or not to bring one or two or three of them back.

when you get some cap space in 2017 spend wisely....and do not trade away any more picks !!!!

I feel for you guys, I really do. It going to take some shrewd management and a lot of luck to come out of this dark place.
Sign here
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#47 » by MGrand15 » Mon Feb 2, 2015 5:41 am

Zachbretton wrote:I've been thinking about this recently, would you guys support Hollins if the higher up (or new higher ups, if and when that happens) offered him a Stan Van / Rivers type deal? I think through all of this, I trust Hollins 1000x more than I do Billy and would be interested in seeing the team he could put together if he had control?

No. Big believer that coaches and GMs should be separate. Doc has made some bad, bad moves since getting the gig. Hollins has expressed no interest in having that type of power.

We sign a competent GM and Hollins will be fine as just the head coach.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#48 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Feb 2, 2015 1:42 pm

brackdan70 wrote:I don't mean to rub it in (even though maybe it seems like it)...but Nets fans unfortunately have to look far in the future.
http://prospect-central.blogspot.com/20 ... M77XUsihuY" target="_blank

hope that the team puts a lot of effort into scouting the 2019 draft class. there is time.

in the mean time hope for decent ownership, which seems possible. Hope that ownership gets a new GM quickly...which also seems possible. and you have to nail this years first rounder..likely #30.

I don't think you can trade Lopez, Johnson or Williams...and you shouldn't unless there is another sucker GM out there??? They are at least an average core. once they become FAs. evaluate and be smart about whether or not to bring one or two or three of them back.

when you get some cap space in 2017 spend wisely....and do not trade away any more picks !!!!

I feel for you guys, I really do. It going to take some shrewd management and a lot of luck to come out of this dark place.

Enjoy those lottery picks we'll be giving you.

GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,499

Post#49 » by GoBobs » Sat Feb 7, 2015 6:42 am

Here is why the Nets have some hope. Take a look at the Hawks roster. There aren't a lot of stars or high draft picks.

Trade Lopez to Denver to get the pick. Try to buy some 2nd round picks in the next few years. Swing for the fences on the best college coach that wants a pay raise as long as his system includes man defense.
F3LON
Banned User
And1: 187

Post#50 » by F3LON » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:00 pm

I cant stand it when "other sites" say that we are modeling ourselves after the Spurs.

- It helps when you have the best player at his position all time. Last I checked we dont have a top 5 player at their position in the league.

- The Spurs took advantage of the lack of info on Euros. Manu and Parker came up when scouts hardly seen them play. It was a different world back then. Today's top Euro players are well scouted from an early age. The chances of hitting a HR on a player like Manu and Parker doesnt exist anymore.

- The Spurs play in one of the smallest markets in sports. Is their lack of knuckleheads a byproduct of not having anything to do on off nights? Brooklyn has plenty of distractions for a young rich athlete. It should be expected that players are going to occasionally screw up. Taking a hard line approach on players like Blatche and Lance is like implementing 1950's teen pregnancy protocols. It just doesnt fit in today's world.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#51 » by Prokorov » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:07 pm

F3LON wrote:I cant stand it when "other sites" say that we are modeling ourselves after the Spurs.

- It helps when you have the best player at his position all time. Last I checked we dont have a top 5 player at their position in the league.

- The Spurs took advantage of the lack of info on Euros. Manu and Parker came up when scouts hardly seen them play. It was a different world back then. Today's top Euro players are well scouted from an early age. The chances of hitting a HR on a player like Manu and Parker doesnt exist anymore.

- The Spurs play in one of the smallest markets in sports. Is their lack of knuckleheads a byproduct of not having anything to do on off nights? Brooklyn has plenty of distractions for a young rich athlete. It should be expected that players are going to occasionally screw up. Taking a hard line approach on players like Blatche and Lance is like implementing 1950's teen pregnancy protocols. It just doesnt fit in today's world.

we SHOULD model ourselves after the spurs...

1) draft one of the 10 best players of all time
2) win 5 rings

8-)
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#52 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:45 pm

F3LON wrote:I cant stand it when "other sites" say that we are modeling ourselves after the Spurs.

Those spin artists have a lot of balls to even remotely suggest that this mess has been modeled after the spurs.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#53 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:45 pm

Those spin artists have a lot of balls to even remotely suggest that this mess has been modeled after the spurs.

NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Re: Re: The state of the franchise 

Post#54 » by NyCeEvO » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:13 am

I'm pretty sure when Hollins was hired he said he subscribes to the idea in letting coaches coach, players play, and GMs manage.

We know the type of players Hollins like but we have absolutely no idea how his asset management skills are. I'd find it hard to believe he could be as bad as Billy but I just don't see great FO skills in him.
Lamak
Assistant Coach
And1: 704

Post#55 » by Lamak » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:13 am

State of the franchise is pretty terrible at the moment I'll hold off on my final opinion until the trade deadline has passed
Brooklyn Nets
Zachbretton
Rookie

Post#56 » by Zachbretton » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:16 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/uuords/status/567365630513647616[/tweet]

our dwill problem in numbers
Shark
Lead Assistant
And1: 980

Post#57 » by Shark » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:57 am

F3LON wrote:- The Spurs play in one of the smallest markets in sports. Is their lack of knuckleheads a byproduct of not having anything to do on off nights? Brooklyn has plenty of distractions for a young rich athlete. It should be expected that players are going to occasionally screw up. Taking a hard line approach on players like Blatche and Lance is like implementing 1950's teen pregnancy protocols. It just doesnt fit in today's world.

Nah, can't agree with this. I'm pretty sure you could say something along the same lines about Miami, Dallas, LA, and even Boston to some extent. All those teams have won championships within fairly large markets. The problem is that they had the type of coach and players with leadership to keep players in line. Our "big 3" haven't shown much of any of that in the years they've been together.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#58 » by Prokorov » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:07 pm

Zachbretton wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/uuords/status/567365630513647616[/tweet]

our dwill problem in numbers

so in other words the nets are a bad losing team with dwill on the floor, and even bigger embarasment when d-league darius morris or Bogdanvic are on the floor?
Shook Jones
Junior
And1: 75

Post#59 » by Shook Jones » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:01 pm

If the team doesnt make a move, doesnt even resign Blatche, there will be no bigger joke of a franchise in the nba. Just wait until the draft comes and the jokes will be flying as we give that pick to ATL. Oh you think its bad now??!!!

It will be unbearable to be a Net fan.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#60 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:00 pm

Shook Jones wrote:If the team doesnt make a move, doesnt even resign Blatche, there will be no bigger joke of a franchise in the nba. Just wait until the draft comes and the jokes will be flying as we give that pick to ATL. Oh you think its bad now??!!!

It will be unbearable to be a Net fan.

On draft night the Nets will be humiliated. Mark my words, they will get eviscerated by someone on the ESPN coverage panel, and rightfully so.

Return to Brooklyn Nets