ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Markel Brown Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

jbeachboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 359

Re: Official Markel Brown Thread 

Post#61 » by jbeachboy » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:35 pm

his shot looks much more improved, his form is kind of odd but not that bad. he just needs consistent playing time and i dont mind keeping him since he plays good defense and is on a cheap contract. i would look to deal ellington and bogdanovic to give him and rhj more playing time.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Official Markel Brown Thread 

Post#62 » by Paradise » Sat Mar 5, 2016 10:49 am

21 points, 8 rebounds, 7 assists on 8/14 shooting in 33 minutes.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqiXWtJbta4&sns=em[/youtube]
Shook Jones
Junior
And1: 75

Post#63 » by Shook Jones » Sat Mar 5, 2016 4:01 pm

He won us that game last nite. Lopez tip shouldnt even have had to happen. Brown was hitting HUGE shots last nite with confidence, he was the best player on the floor. It was really incredible.

He was GLUED to the Nets bench hahahahah Hollins and King were so bad. My lord.
shakendfries
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,063

Post#64 » by shakendfries » Sat Mar 5, 2016 4:19 pm

David Nurse...the shooting whisperer
ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
Net Sentence
Veteran
And1: 334

Post#65 » by Net Sentence » Sat Mar 5, 2016 4:35 pm

My problem with Brown is the same one I have with Larkin. When they are looking for their shots they play at their best but it's not in their nature to play that way.

Larkin was great in the beginning of the season when he was playing aggressive. He was looking to shoot every time a player went under a screen. Once Jack got hurt, he stopped taking that shot and his production has nosedived. Markel is the opposite. He started the season off playing timid and is just now playing confidently/aggressively. If this is how he is going to play from here on out then he is worth bringing back but I need to see a much large sample before I say that.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,227

Post#66 » by Papi_swav » Sat Mar 5, 2016 6:10 pm

I'm so proud of Markel's improvement, I don't understand why a guy that started in playoff games have been sitting on the bench all season until now, makes no sense. He is doing great now and he is a RFA this summer. What would you guys offer him ? I don't think any other team will give him big money because not many teams get to see him play and we probably value him more than any other team. I think we should give him a 4-5 year deal for like 4-5 million a year. It can turn out to be a bargain for us because he is definitely improving as a player and is still young, and maybe by the 3rd year he can develop into a Avery Bradley type player which will help us tremendously. Even if he doesn't live up to that , at least we know he's going to bring energy and give it his all every night. We need to keep our own players and develop them, starting with Markel.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#67 » by NyCeEvO » Sat Mar 5, 2016 6:37 pm

UPS is playing well!
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,433

Post#68 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Mar 5, 2016 6:46 pm

Net Sentence wrote:My problem with Brown is the same one I have with Larkin. When they are looking for their shots they play at their best but it's not in their nature to play that way.

Larkin was great in the beginning of the season when he was playing aggressive. He was looking to shoot every time a player went under a screen. Once Jack got hurt, he stopped taking that shot and his production has nosedived. Markel is the opposite. He started the season off playing timid and is just now playing confidently/aggressively. If this is how he is going to play from here on out then he is worth bringing back but I need to see a much large sample before I say that.

Brown's problem is the uneven minutes. Last night was the first game he broke the 30 minute mark and he produced. When he gets more time he does pretty well. But you can't expect consistency when you play the guy 24 minutes one night and then 9 the next. Brown should be getting a consistent 28-30 minutes a night for the rest of the season. When the guy isn't looking over his shoulder he plays with some swagger.

Wayne Ellington doesn't need to play. He has no future here. When RHJ comes back he DEFINITELY shouldn't play. Until then let Brown play and be consistent about it.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Paradise

Post#69 » by Paradise » Sat Mar 5, 2016 6:52 pm

Shook Jones wrote:He won us that game last nite. Lopez tip shouldnt even have had to happen. Brown was hitting HUGE shots last nite with confidence, he was the best player on the floor. It was really incredible.

He was GLUED to the Nets bench hahahahah Hollins and King were so bad. My lord.

But according to Hollins, the front office was "micro managing" him. What that stubborn fool would never admit is they were simply getting him to give Markel and Rondae consistent minutes and defined roles.
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach

Post#70 » by jbeachboy » Sat Mar 5, 2016 7:56 pm

i was screaming for that fool hollins to play markel over ellington
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach

Post#71 » by jbeachboy » Sat Mar 5, 2016 7:56 pm

whats markels contract situation? i would keep him if he is cheap,
Ror1997
Analyst
And1: 911

Post#72 » by Ror1997 » Sat Mar 5, 2016 10:14 pm

Markel should've gotten a chance to prove himself with Hollins, but we can't blame it all on Hollins. The team needed perimeter shooting early in the year and Brown didn't have a good shot. RHJ was already getting alot of the PT, and they couldn't pair the 2 together because then you have no offensive production from the wing. We already had bad production from our Wings to begin with and Jack/Thad/Lopez couldn't win games by themselves so the only hope to win was that Ellington, Joe and Bogs could knock down shots. Brown was able to start in the playoffs because he was their best defender (I remember a radio interview with Hollins on wfan where he was raving about his defense against Harden, so we know Hollins liked Markels game)

Now, Brown is playing well and shooting with confidence. But I'm going to give credit to David Nurse on this. Brown was terrible in the Orlando Summer league. His FG% was 29%, and it was 42% in Vegas summer league.
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,571

Post#73 » by DarkXaero » Sat Mar 5, 2016 10:22 pm

Brown's stats are still crap for the season but he has actually been pretty good since February. Averaging 10 PPG, 2.5 APG, 2.5 RPG on 48% FG% over his last 10 games (21.5 MPG). But it's still a small sample size and who knows how long he can keep this from now till the rest of the season. Although it's still impressive that he was written off earlier in the season and has improved his play a lot over the season.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,174

Post#74 » by Keith Van Horn » Sat Mar 5, 2016 10:57 pm

I like him. Young, plenty of energy, does whatever needs to be done, and is a highlight reel dunk machine. I hope he stays around after this season.

I really hope Ellington is canned after this season.

Still 50/50 on keeping Bogs around.
Paradise

Post#75 » by Paradise » Sun Mar 6, 2016 8:53 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE5xAlN2WPc&sns=em[/youtube]
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,433

Post#76 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Mar 6, 2016 11:22 am

Very, very pleased with his progress. He looks like an entirely different player from this time last year, he steps into each shot with confidence and I love when he goes to the basket, he's athletic enough to finish against bigger opponents. The jumpshot is dropping and I love the attacks to the rim. What he needs to improve next is his attacks to the basket with the left hand.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Re: RE: Re: Official Markel Brown Thread 

Post#77 » by NyCeEvO » Sun Mar 6, 2016 11:22 am

Paradise wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE5xAlN2WPc&sns=em[/youtube]

UPS!!
DeRoma
Veteran
And1: 525

Post#78 » by DeRoma » Sun Mar 6, 2016 2:22 pm

By his 3rd season i'm expecting him to gain 10 pounds of muscle at the very least
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach

Post#79 » by jbeachboy » Sun Mar 6, 2016 2:48 pm

he needs to play minutes, he wont do much barely playing where that fool hollins had him wasting away on bench. he is gaining more confidence with playing time and his jumper is much improved. i want him to start and ellington should barely play.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#80 » by Prokorov » Mon Mar 7, 2016 2:21 am

minutes are key for brown. at the same time him playing big minutes and being given tons of shots really isnt the best thing for him. his role will never be a top offensive option with big minutes. id rather see him playing 20-25 minutes next to a legit scoring option. because in the future he will be a 7th or 8th man in for his defense getting the secondary offense and open shots that come to him.

games like last night are encouraging, but id be more encouraged in a game where thad and brook player nad brow gives you 12 points on 4/7 shooting with some steals and excellent defense and no turnovers

Return to Brooklyn Nets