ImageImageImageImageImage

Woj on WFAN: Billy King safe as long as Prokhorov owns Nets

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Woj on WFAN: Billy King safe as long as Prokhorov owns Nets 

Post#1 » by Paradise » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:52 am

Here is the Woj iaudio nterview from the Evan and Roberts show.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/audio/joe-b ... n-roberts/

On Billy King:

"The question in Brooklyn is with ownership and how soon Prokhorov will sell his share of the team.
Billy signed a three year extension last year so he's in the second year of a three year deal. I think, the way it's been told to me is he will continue there with this ownership group. You usually don't see high management changes when a team is sold. If someone is going to buy the team and come in, they want to come in and look at, they want to make a decision on who the new GM is or a potential new GM. So I think for right now, as long as Prokhorov owns the team, I don't see a change in the offing. I think it would be ... especially when you're in that place where a new owner, someone is going to pay $2 billion to buy the Nets, they're going to want to put in their own management or at least have a say in examining King and how they're going to go there. So, I think barring this team getting sold in the short term here and then the league approving the sale I think he will continue to go forward here on the job."

On Prokhorov:

"He's an absentee owner. This idea that he was going to have a great impact with free agents, players. Now they wound up doing most of their ... they tried in free agency and struck out. Then, they went all in on the Deron Williams and the Gerald Wallace and then brought in Pierce and Garnett, it was all through trades. But he's been an absentee owner. In this league, you've got to be involved, really put your imprint on it. If you look at successful organizations, you can't do it from across the world. I don't care who you put in place to be here and do it. You have to be a part of that. And I think he could have an impact if he was around but he wasnt and so, we all oversold what his impact would be. Spending money and going deep into the luxury tax --we saw it with the Knicks-- just doesn't work and you're seeing the results of that now."

On Trades:

"It's too soon to tell, Evan. I wish I had an answer for ya. Their talks with Denver, they haven't reconnected on Lopez in well over a week, almost two weeks, at least 10 days, they haven't spoken to Denver. That may start up again. Denver is engaged with a bunch of teams on a few different guys that they have.

"Deron Williams? That contract, if you suspected you'd be unable to move it, you know now that you're not moving it with the money left on his deal and the state of his game right now. It's not going to happen.

"Joe Johnson? I don't know. That's a lot of money for somebody to take on. Charlotte did have interest, but you've seen Charlotte now go out and Arron Afflalo is a less expensive alternative as a rental at shooting guard and you'll see teams going after him. Joe Johnson just makes so much money.

"So I think Lopez would be the one possibility. and Oklahoma City, I think they still have interest in Lopez but they have not re-engaged. That could start up again possibly, but Oklahoma City was pretty adamant on 'here's the package we want to do for him.' They didn't want to give up any more. Now, they may feel differently at the trade deadline but maybe they get the Nets involved in a three-way or maybe a four-way, a bigger deal but that stuff hasn't started to develop yet. I'm sure it will here now. Over the weekend, you'll see a lot of executives are here n New York. A lot of them will be over at Basketball without Borders, looking at the young international prospects and that triggers conversations again with people."

Woj also goes on to say the Nets are an attractive market in New York but much like the Knicks and Lakers. The Nets won't attract big-time free agents without becoming a good organization.

Wooohooo. What a bright future we have here. Proky needs to sell. I'm so done with him. He's a complete joke.
kerry kittles
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,198

Re: Woj on WFAN: Billy King safe as long as Prokhorov owns Nets 

Post#2 » by kerry kittles » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:19 am

Yea really hoping Prok sells before the summer of 2016.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#3 » by CalamityX12 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:52 am

The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
LOUiS-D
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,900

Post#4 » by LOUiS-D » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:30 am

This situation is beyond toxic now. The loonies are in charge of the asylum. We'll only get free agents that we overpay. The only hope for this team developing a positive image is if Hollins is able to create a team culture and identity in spite of management.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,763

Post#5 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:53 pm

This is what I've been saying the entire damn time, Prokhorov is an absentee owner, letting a bunch of jackasses blow through his money like vapid, pill popping golddiggers on a sugardaddy's yacht.

It will be a blessing from the universe when this dude sells his share. We need an owner who is passionate, engaged, but also sensible and wants to build an organization that focuses on player development and building a sustainable and competitive roster.

All of that **** these clowns were hyping up from a few years back is a joke. The only thing that has changed is the monetary value of the franchise and the location, the product has been boring, the core of players lack pride, passion, and heart, and now they are just awful to watch. You guys ever read what George Karl said? He echoed everything that we've been saying on this forum, because at least there's honesty and common sense on the nets real gm forum instead of a bunch of dishonest homering and pandering on suckthenetsownershipsballsdaily.com, who lies and pretends that this team has made improvements. The product was so much better and more fun to watch during the Kidd days and the Kidd/Carter days. Now? Pfft! No fanbase is being built with this loser ass **** they throw on the floor every year. People come into Barclays and the cheers are louder for the opponents than for the sadsack, garbage ass overpaid Nets players.

I became a Net fan in the early 90s because of DC, Kenny, and Drazen. I know some of the younger guys became fans when Kidd and then Vince were doing their thing here. What kid can watch Dog Williams, Bitch Lopez, and Joe Judas go out there and play hard 35% of the time and want to become a lifelong fans of this? And you wonder why there are so many fans of the Thunder, Bulls, Heat, Cavs etc in the Barclays when the Nets hosts games vs. those teams??

**** Billy King, **** Bobby Marks, and **** the Russians.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#6 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:06 pm

Seriously how the hell was a team that had a starting 5 of Jacques Vaughn, Jason Kidd, Vince Carter, Jason Collins and Nenad Krstic more exciting and entertaining than the last 3 years of the Nets shelling out the league's highest payroll??

Do you guys remember that? Compare how those guys fought tooth and nail to dig themselves out of the early season hole that the team had gotten themselves into due to roster turnover and Jefferson's injury once Vince came here to what Dog Williams, Bitch Lopez, and Joe Judas have done in the last three seasons. And the ass clowns want to blame the coach!! No one is getting anywhere with these LOSERS.

IN 2004-05, Kidd and Carter had carried bags of GARBAGE to the playoffs and made everyone better. If that roster played against the Nets of this season and the last two they would beat them half to death

But I suppose I am being unfair, comparing a 1st ballot HOF in Kidd and a future hall of famer in Vince to these three overpaid pieces of ****.

kerry kittles
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,198

Post#7 » by kerry kittles » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:07 am

I think the writing is on the wall that Prok is selling. I think there's some waiting for the 1st domino to fall, the Hawks sale, and it's just a lengthy process in general. At least that's my optimistic view of why King is "safe" with Prok as owner because if you're in the process of selling it doesn't make much sense to fire King - pay out the remainder of his contract, conduct a search, hire someone new. Though the prudent move IMO would just be to fire King and promote Marks for the interim period until the sale is made.

I'm hoping the sale occurs before free agency this summer. There's really a limited number of way for King to completely **** this franchise over. He already gave away our picks, no one wants any of our players, outside of Lopez. He is **** ing us over by not taking a good deal for Brook but not to the extent that the Gerald Wallace debacle set this franchise back.

He's pretty much driven the franchise into the ground and there's not much lower we can get. It is imperative we have new ownership in place before 2016, but I keep reverting back in my head to a doomsday scenario before then.

I think this the nightmare scenario that Im nervous of.... Thorn gave us a kick to the nuts on his way out by signing Outlaw to that disgusting 5 year/$35 million deal that we are still paying. No one loves Brook more than Billy himself, so my nightmare scenario is Brook opts out this summer and King gives him a lengthy, bloated contract. It would be the move that completely destroys the franchise.
Paradise

Re: Re: Woj on WFAN: Billy King safe as long as Prokhorov owns Nets 

Post#8 » by Paradise » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:02 am

kerry kittles wrote:I think this the nightmare scenario that Im nervous of.... Thorn gave us a kick to the nuts on his way out by signing Outlaw to that disgusting 5 year/$35 million deal that we are still paying. No one loves Brook more than Billy himself, so my nightmare scenario is Brook opts out this summer and King gives him a lengthy, bloated contract. It would be the move that completely destroys the franchise.

The saving grace in this scenario is the cap may potentially rise to 80 million. So, Lopez getting a salary increase around 18-19 million won't look that bad. Paying someone 20 million under the new cap will be the equivalent of someone getting paid 10 million today. However, it would be beyond embarrassing for that to happen regardless.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#9 » by NyCeEvO » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:00 am

kerry kittles wrote:No one loves Brook more than Billy himself, so my nightmare scenario is Brook opts out this summer and King gives him a lengthy, bloated contract. It would be the move that completely destroys the franchise.

If Billy King wants to have any shot at remaining GM with the next ownership group, he needs Hollins to be very successful because he's the only person Billy can say he hired himself without any outside influence.

I'm sure he'll say all the other moves were influenced by ownership.

I'm 100% sure none of that will save him but the only thing that give him a 1% chance is if Hollins proves to be a great coach.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#10 » by spearsy23 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:38 am

NyCeEvO wrote:
kerry kittles wrote:No one loves Brook more than Billy himself, so my nightmare scenario is Brook opts out this summer and King gives him a lengthy, bloated contract. It would be the move that completely destroys the franchise.

If Billy King wants to have any shot at remaining GM with the next ownership group, he needs Hollins to be very successful because he's the only person Billy can say he hired himself without any outside influence.

I'm 100% sure none of that will save him but the only thing that give him a 1% chance is if Hollins proves to be a great coach.

It's not like this is new ground for King, he has done the same sh*t Before. He's proof that being a member of the club is more important than your track record. He'll eventually be fired and end up as the GM of some other mediocre team where he'll trade for The next Glenn Robinson/Joe Johnson, overpay for the next Gerald Wallace/Aaron Mckie, never draft a player who impacts his team, and leave the team in worse shape than he inherited it. It's who he is, rather he has Prokhorov behind him or not.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#11 » by NyCeEvO » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:16 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:

It's not like this is new ground for King, he has done the same sh*t Before. He's proof that being a member of the club is more important than your track record. He'll eventually be fired and end up as the GM of some other mediocre team where he'll trade for The next Glenn Robinson/Joe Johnson, overpay for the next Gerald Wallace/Aaron Mckie, never draft a player who impacts his team, and leave the team in worse shape than he inherited it. It's who he is, rather he has Prokhorov behind him or not.

Nah, I think he knows it's his last gig.

There isn't a team in the world that think Billy King has even done a decent job. He needs to update his profile on LinkedIn and get switch to a new field cuz this is clearly not for him.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,094

Post#12 » by therealbig3 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:56 am

But we hired him. After he was a proven failure in Philadelphia. It's true, he did the same **** there: blow through draft picks and acquire/sign washed up players on bloated contracts.

It's a bigger deal now, because it was for a higher profile team, the ownership gave him more of a free reign with the budget, and the repercussions for such careless spending are a lot more serious now with the new CBA.

I think he'll convince another desperate team that he's a good GM, and he'll do the same thing there that he's always done. In which case, I would call him up for pretty much ANY trade we would need at that point, because you know he'll overspend.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Re: Re: Woj on WFAN: Billy King safe as long as Prokhorov owns Nets 

Post#13 » by NyCeEvO » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:30 am

therealbig3 wrote:But we hired him. After he was a proven failure in Philadelphia. It's true, he did the same **** there: blow through draft picks and acquire/sign washed up players on bloated contracts.

It's a bigger deal now, because it was for a higher profile team, the ownership gave him more of a free reign with the budget, and the repercussions for such careless spending are a lot more serious now with the new CBA.

I think he'll convince another desperate team that he's a good GM, and he'll do the same thing there that he's always done. In which case, I would call him up for pretty much ANY trade we would need at that point, because you know he'll overspend.

Prokorov was the perfect owner to get someone like Billy.

Heck, when selecting a coach I'm pretty sure they just picked the coach with the highest winning percentage and thought they would win. At the time Avery had the highest win percentage in NBA history, but the Nets didn't consider why he was unemployed in the first place.

When they interviewed Billy, Prokorov was impressed that Billy apparently had good connections and relationships with players thinking that would help him recruit. Again, there was a reason why he was unemployed at the time but we didn't pay attention.

Now that he's failed to do good yet again, I don't he stands a chance.
Paradise

Re: Re: Re: Woj on WFAN: Billy King safe as long as Prokhorov owns Nets 

Post#14 » by Paradise » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:37 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:But we hired him. After he was a proven failure in Philadelphia. It's true, he did the same **** there: blow through draft picks and acquire/sign washed up players on bloated contracts.

Heck, when selecting a coach I'm pretty sure they just picked the coach with the highest winning percentage and thought they would win. At the time Avery had the highest win percentage in NBA history, but the Nets didn't consider why he was unemployed in the first place.

When they interviewed Billy, Prokorov was impressed that Billy apparently had good connections and relationships with players thinking that would help him recruit. Again, there was a reason why he was unemployed at the time but we didn't pay attention.

Fun fact: King and Ferry both were interviewing for the GM position. Once Ferry realized his BFF was his competition. He withdrew himself so Billy could get the job. Everyone saw the position as a golden opportunity. Yet, Billy got it but I'm sure Ferry could've also gotten hired if he interviewed.

Makes you wonder if those pick swaps with Atlanta was King actually repaying Ferry for helping him land the job.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#15 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:04 pm

Paradise wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:

Fun fact: King and Ferry both were interviewing for the GM position. Once Ferry realized his BFF was his competition. He withdrew himself so Billy could get the job. Everyone saw the position as a golden opportunity. Yet, Billy got it but I'm sure Ferry could've also gotten hired if he interviewed.

Makes you wonder if those pick swaps with Atlanta was King actually repaying Ferry for helping him land the job.

:censored: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Born_Ready
Veteran
And1: 476

Post#16 » by Born_Ready » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:40 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Paradise wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:Prokorov was the perfect owner to get someone like Billy.

I really don't like to read stuff like what's posted above--because I don't want to think Billy King would maliciously sabotage this franchise. If so his dismissal is long overdue.
OKC Thunder fan, too.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#17 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:10 pm

Honestly, with the way the Nets have behaved over the last few years this would not shock me.

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#18 » by Prokorov » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:50 pm

with the way king tried to hide the pick swap from the public, i wouldnt doubt it one bit
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,881

Post#19 » by DaGawd » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:34 pm

This reminds me of the strange love affair Dolan had with Isiah Thomas
BaF
Washington Wizards
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#20 » by MGrand15 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:27 pm

Born_Ready wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Paradise wrote:

I really don't like to read stuff like what's posted above--because I don't want to think Billy King would maliciously sabotage this franchise. If so his dismissal is long overdue.

Honestly, I don't think it was "malicious sabotage" but this sort of stuff probably happens all the time. Billy was probably like - we're going to be better than Atlanta for the next couple years - let me just throw in these swaps as a favor to a friend. Get on ATL's good side in case we ever need to trade again. As MDB would say - "sweeten the pot". It's probably why he's still in the league. His relationships with other GMs and teams.

Considering those pick swaps were COMPLETELY unnecessary - there's no way that Ferry/King's friendship didn't play a role there.

I wouldn't go as far as calling it "malicious" or "sabotage" but a lot of what's been killing us is Billy sweetening deals for no basketball/financial reason. He sweetens the deal to remain in good favor with these GMs and teams and it's KILLED us.

Return to Brooklyn Nets