Game 1: NETS @ HAWKS - Sunday, 4/19/15 5:30pm TNT

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: Game 1: NETS @ HAWKS - Sunday, 4/19/15 5:30pm TNT 

Post#321 » by Prokorov » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:35 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
I think we just need two max slots available and the rest of the money needs to go towards building depth, getting shooters/athletics/defenders.

MAx salaries are tied to the cap. cap goes up, so do max salaries. max salaries will be the same portion of the cap as they are now. so 2 max deals still is eating up a ton of your cap. then throw in lopez, and whatever rookies or holdovers we have (bogs, plumlee, brown, cj) and that leaves little for anyone else.

so basically you would be trading dwill/joe/brook for like conley/love/brook or whatever duo you want to add. basically locking us into the same kind of thing we just suffered through... hoping lopez doesnt get hurt, plays consistent, and the other 2 guys mesh with him
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,842

Post#322 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:42 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:I don't believe that guys are swooning at the idea of playing with Brook, but the idea that Free agents are going to swoon to play for a roster that has nothing tangible in place aside from the promise that the Nets -MAY- be able to sign two other max players is wishful thinking.

Brook has not been perfect nor healthy during his time here, but if we can get another season full of him playing the way he has now, the Nets look a little more attractive than the situation that you want: a team that will have millions in capspace, yet is coming off of a horrible season and no lottery pick to show for it. Players that want to win will avoid this team like the plague, and then what you'll be left with is Billy King doling out max deals to guys that are cut from the same cloth as Deron and Joe and you're right back where we started.

On the national scale, the Nets are viewed as a joke. The new car smell has worn off. Thinking that Durant, Horford, and Conley are going to trip over themselves to play here following an 18 to 20 win season in 2015-16 just because we have cap space is ludicrous Prok

i just completely disagree. i think there are few things more attractive to a free agent then a team with no players under contract in a major market. they basically can do and play with whomever they want at that point. I think the only thing more attractive would be having superstar players in place. brook is not a superstar. he is likely not a top 20 player.

i think players who want to win would be more likely to go to a roster they can build around them isntead of going to a roster of guys who have done nothing but lose and/or underachieve.

I also think you can easily change the outside view of the franchise with a new GM. if osmething like say that rumor about calapari. a team GM'd and coahced by calapari likely has much more appeal then one GM'd by king.

there is too much risk signing lopez. risk he will keep playing well, risk he wont get injured, and risk some big free agents would want to play with him.

not to mention, most of the top FA's are centers. so with lopez you remove all those options

This is false. Players want to at least have someone they know can play alongside them...before they even sign to the team. The Knicks thought that way and they got burned in free agency and had no choice but to offer Amare one of the league's worst contracts.

Lopez is not perfect, nor do I advocate signing him to a max deal(any GM that would do that would be insane), I'm just saying having him, a guy that NBA players know can play, would at least be a bit better than having nothing to offer players but empty promises of signing guys.

I understand that you would rather part ways with Brook, honestly if the lightswitch didn't go off in his head I'd be with you, but I'm not confident at all that guys are going to line up to play for a Nets team that may end up being a bottom 5 team with no picks and nothing on the roster if Lopez decides to bolt. The Nets had cap space in the summer where Lebron and other guys hit FA and no one took the Nets seriously because they were a complete joke.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,842

Post#323 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:48 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
I think we just need two max slots available and the rest of the money needs to go towards building depth, getting shooters/athletics/defenders.

MAx salaries are tied to the cap. cap goes up, so do max salaries. max salaries will be the same portion of the cap as they are now. so 2 max deals still is eating up a ton of your cap. then throw in lopez, and whatever rookies or holdovers we have (bogs, plumlee, brown, cj) and that leaves little for anyone else.

so basically you would be trading dwill/joe/brook for like conley/love/brook or whatever duo you want to add. basically locking us into the same kind of thing we just suffered through... hoping lopez doesnt get hurt, plays consistent, and the other 2 guys mesh with him

Yeah but I'm not advocating or sure that Brook will get a max contract...unless some other team is insane.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#324 » by Prokorov » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:55 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
This is false. Players want to at least have someone they know can play alongside them...before they even sign to the team. The Knicks thought that way and they got burned in free agency and had no choice but to offer Amare one of the league's worst contracts.

i dont think that is anywhere near true. plus guys can talk to other free agents before signing to recruit them. I think they would much rather build their team then join guys who arent stars.

Lopez is not perfect, nor do I advocate signing him to a max deal(any GM that would do that would be insane), I'm just saying having him, a guy that NBA players know can play, would at least be a bit better than having nothing to offer players but empty promises of signing guys.

again, just disagree 100%. and id actually think it would be looked upon negatively if lopez deal prevented 3 max deals from being a possibility. I also think top FAs being bigs makes it an issue as well. if a top FA wants to play with dwight, and brook is here then you have an issue

I understand that you would rather part ways with Brook, honestly if the lightswitch didn't go off in his head I'd be with you, but I'm not confident at all that guys are going to line up to play for a Nets team that may end up being a bottom 5 team with no picks and nothing on the roster if Lopez decides to bolt. The Nets had cap space in the summer where Lebron and other guys hit FA and no one took the Nets seriously because they were a complete joke.

i dont think it matters if the nets go 0-82. thats irrelevant. who cares what a team full of guys who arent on the roster did? the roster is bare and you are building a team with 3 new max guys. what does the prior season mean? on the flip side, who wants to play with lopez if the team just had back to back losing seasons with him?

no one took the nets serious because we were in NJ playing in a dump arena in a swamp. now we are in NY in one of the leagues best venues.

you simply cant limit your options when your only chance is free agency. Brook would severly limit our options. the only way you keep brook is if you think he could be the first or second best player on a championship team. i dont think that is the case
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#325 » by Prokorov » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:56 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Yeah but I'm not advocating or sure that Brook will get a max contract...unless some other team is insane.

im not talking about brook, im talking about the FA's we would chase.

Return to Brooklyn Nets