ImageImageImageImageImage

2015 Brooklyn Nets Offseason Thread II

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,829

Re: 2015 Brooklyn Nets Offseason Thread II 

Post#2301 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:27 pm

One thing I like about Lionel is that he will not sit there and stick with a line up that won't work unlike other coaches who have come through here.

Unless that starting 5 can miraculously become a solid team defense oriented unit, we're going to have a problem because positions 1-3 can't play defense, and you can make an argument that the 4 man is a liability against back to the basket power forwards, as we saw in the playoffs when Milsap took Thad outside and **** ed him in the street(You get a +1 if you can name the movie reference that phrase comes from). This puts a LOT of pressure on Lopez. Offensively yeah that's our firepower unit with all 5 players a threat to score, and I definitely want to see them get minutes together but something is going to have to give otherwise this group will just trade baskets.

Bojan can chase after SGs, but Joe can't. I think eventually RHJ is going to have to start to defend the opponents best perimeter player. You can start RHJ with either one and let RHJ take the tougher match up. I honestly think Joe and Bojan are competing for that perimeter scorer spot in the starting 5. We need and want Bojan to step up to become a 16-18ppg scorer and a consistent threat on offense.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/BRK/2015/lineups/

Our best line up was with Markel in there with Joe/Thad/Brook and he who shall never be mentioned again.

Incidentally, the proposed all offense line up was a + in the playoffs against the Hawks...but they only played 17 mins lol
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#2302 » by Prokorov » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:42 pm

Lamak wrote:
Paradise wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/MazzESPN/status/646062702796926976[/tweet]

Brook is about to have a monster year offensively and defensively. Maybe people will finally consider him a star if he doesn't get hurt.

no considers him a star because he hasnt yet done anything to be considered a star. he had 1 allstar season with excellent offense. he is yet to be more then average defensively and his offense has dropped of from a consistency standpoint.

people will consider brook a star when he consistently plays like one
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#2303 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:06 pm

Yeah Brook needs to put together a full season of Beast Lopez mode to get that kind of respect.

On another note, I can't wait to til Chris McC gets cleared to play. If he can become a legit stretch 4 and RHJ develops, those are some solid pieces going forward.

jbeachboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 359

Post#2304 » by jbeachboy » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:26 pm

why did Hollins say that joe Johnson isn't a shooting guard or wont play there? looks like McCullough isn't playing until February at the earliest now
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#2305 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:14 pm

Joe is too old and stiff to defend SGs.

jbeachboy
Assistant Coach

Post#2306 » by jbeachboy » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:36 pm

• Hollins also seemed to reiterate Wayne Ellington is going to go into camp as the third wing behind Johnson and Bogdanovic
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Post#2307 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:20 am

Crazy how everyone has as the 2nd or 3rd worst team in the East. I don't expect us to be good, but this is ridiculous. We did make the playoffs last year and we still have Johnson/Lopez.

Why would anyone think we'll win 20 games?
kerry kittles
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,198

Post#2308 » by kerry kittles » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:24 am

i know it'll never happen, but jumped on the raps board and some fans there think they might deal patrick patterson with bennett signing there. He's been a certified nets killer; i like him as a stretch 4. Think we'll continue to struggle from deep next year so i think he could be a good option.

doubt it happens because masai hates us and king is super high on trob and this would cut into his minutes inevitably.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#2309 » by Paradise » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:45 am

Prokorov will be joining the Nets at training camp.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BrooklynNets/status/647521677702733824[/tweet]
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Re: RE: Re: 2015 Brooklyn Nets Offseason Thread II 

Post#2310 » by Paradise » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:48 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote:Crazy how everyone has as the 2nd or 3rd worst team in the East. I don't expect us to be good, but this is ridiculous. We did make the playoffs last year and we still have Johnson/Lopez.

People want us to fail. It was amusing seeing how angry the GB was when we tied up that Atlanta series. We were hated from the time Prokorov came in and we were absolutely hated during the 2013 summer. Everyone swore we were doing shady business getting KG and Kirilenko here.

Everyone would love to see us suffer for those very moves. These are the same folks that will guarantee Brook will break a foot and miss the season but will give you multiple reasons why Derrick Rose will stay healthy.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#2311 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:00 pm

I don't understand why people think that Deron Williams is the difference between 18 wins and 38. Williams was horrible for most of the season and the reason the Nets made the post season is because of Brook, Thad, Jack, Bojan, and Anderson stepping up. Deron and Joe looked like they didn't even want to play in the post season (and realizing that they hated each other they probably wanted to get away from each other as fast as possible) I'm not sure how in one breath people can say D-Will is trash and then the next make it like he was the reason the team won any games at all.

I'm keeping expectations tempered but I think we'll be a competitive team at least in games. May not translate to wins every night until we can add more talent but I would be shocked to see the same lethargic, apathetic team that was commonplace during Williams' time here. Joe Johnson appears to be fully engaged with the situation as well so I think we should see a decent year from Joe as long as Hollins doesn't run him into the ground.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#2312 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:02 pm

jbeachboy wrote:• Hollins also seemed to reiterate Wayne Ellington is going to go into camp as the third wing behind Johnson and Bogdanovic

That's pretty much a given, Ellington is going to replace AA's role.

Interesting to see how things go with Markel.

jbeachboy
Assistant Coach

Post#2313 » by jbeachboy » Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:01 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:Crazy how everyone has as the 2nd or 3rd worst team in the East. I don't expect us to be good, but this is ridiculous. We did make the playoffs last year and we still have Johnson/Lopez.

i think cause jarrett jack , point guard situation, the young guys are unproven and unknown, bargnani injuries and decline
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach

Post#2314 » by jbeachboy » Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:03 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
jbeachboy wrote:• Hollins also seemed to reiterate Wayne Ellington is going to go into camp as the third wing behind Johnson and Bogdanovic

That's pretty much a given, Ellington is going to replace AA's role.

Interesting to see how things go with Markel.

nets were successful with markel when he was playing shooting guard at end of season cause of his athleticism and defense and now he is 3rd string sg to start off though
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#2315 » by Prokorov » Sat Nov 7, 2015 5:13 pm

What are everyones thoughts on the Thad signing now that we have seen this team in action a bit?

I got alot of backlash during the summer suggesting we would be better off with the cap space as it would allow us to offer 2 full max deals as opposed to keeping thad as he wasnt a difference maker.

Most of the reaction was that "we would be a joke team without thad and no FA would consider us".... my thoughts where that doesnt change with thad

if you could go back, would you still have signed thad?
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#2316 » by NyCeEvO » Sat Nov 7, 2015 6:12 pm

Prokorov wrote:What are everyones thoughts on the Thad signing now that we have seen this team in action a bit?

I got alot of backlash during the summer suggesting we would be better off with the cap space as it would allow us to offer 2 full max deals as opposed to keeping thad as he wasnt a difference maker.

Most of the reaction was that "we would be a joke team without thad and no FA would consider us".... my thoughts where that doesnt change with thad

You already know my stance on this.

Re-signing Thad was solely about management trying to save face. After giving up picks to Boston just for a year of Pierce, the Nets weren't going to allow themselves to face the embarrassment of losing one of their own again. In a twisted sense, it reminds you of the Gerald Wallace signing in that you knew the Nets were going to do everything to re-sign him just to prove that they didn't make the trade for no purpose.

As I've said before, Thad is garbage man player. His skills have the greatest impact when you already have a solid team but don't have an energy guy who can clean up the boards.

Even though D-Will was bad last season, teams still needed to gameplan enough for him so that D-Will wouldn't have a throwback game. By gameplanning for Brook, JJ, and D-Will, Thad was able to roam free and provide a spark for a team that really didn't have energy. But now, he plays the role of a 2nd/3rd option player on the court. With him garnering defensive attention, we're seeing how little he provides within a set offense.

I'm kinda hoping/wondering that Thad was/is just a holdover for McCullough. Once Chris is healthy and ready, I want him in the starting lineup so he can get as much experience as possible. Therefore, I'd be shipping off Thad just before the trade deadline.

He's a nice guy and I'd feel bad for his family because I know they really like Brooklyn but this is a business and he doesn't have a useful role on this team going forward.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#2317 » by CalamityX12 » Sat Nov 7, 2015 9:15 pm

I think I saw more 3s made in that Chris McCullough workout vid than I did with the NETs this season....
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#2318 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Nov 7, 2015 11:54 pm

Prokorov wrote:What are everyones thoughts on the Thad signing now that we have seen this team in action a bit?

Well, yeah because we're not getting Durant/Lebron (which was your reason behind not wanting to use space to resign thad), and none of the top FAs this summer will consider us/or are too old to max out. So yeah, it was still the right decision.

Your argument breaks apart when you look at the list of FAs that may command 2 max deals as is. We'll make sensible signings this offseason and maintain flexibility for the much better 2017 FA group.

Okay, here:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nba/post/_/id/6711/free-agents-2016-and-2017

Looking only at the 2016 FAs, and excluding Durant/Lebron (because frankly, that whole idea was and is ridiculous), list the two players you're maxing out among this group.

Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Post#2319 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sun Nov 8, 2015 1:10 am

I think your point makes more sense now. But I still don't think its plausible for us to just let Thad walk away to go on a wild goose chase for Lebron.

We had to try and look like we want to compete for a playoff spot. And frankly I don't think your 2 max FA theory every happens, even if this team were to somehow win 50 games.
Net Sentence
Veteran
And1: 334

Post#2320 » by Net Sentence » Sun Nov 8, 2015 1:33 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote:

I think your point makes more sense now. But I still don't think its plausible for us to just let Thad walk away to go on a wild goose chase for Lebron.

We had to try and look like we want to compete for a playoff spot. And frankly I don't think your 2 max FA theory every happens, even if this team were to somehow win 50 games.

I think Thad is playing well outside of his in bounding debacle. He has only taken 5 3's because we are playing him down low but his rebounding per 36 is at a career high rate, 8.5/36. He seems to be the guy who pushes the ball up the floor in transition also.

Thad was definitely worth resigning because he is good enough to start and humble enough to be move to the 1st big off the bench if we get someone better. I want to see McCullough play already because I think he can be the starter as early as next season with Thad moving into a 6th man role.

Return to Brooklyn Nets