2015 Brooklyn Nets Offseason Thread II

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

kerry kittles
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,198

Re: 2015 Brooklyn Nets Offseason Thread II 

Post#1161 » by kerry kittles » Tue Jul 7, 2015 1:46 am

NyCeEvO wrote:
Mkdaman1818 wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/mazzespn/status/618106412468711425[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/notoriousohm/status/618107394749530112[/tweet]

The Nets are fools if they think any other team is going to take AV's contract for 2016-17 without any incentive.

None of the players the Nets are willing to give up have positive value to be combined with AV's contract.

I'd actually take AV's contract and use it for a team that will strikes out in 2017 FA. It will become an asset then.

Trading for Green and co. won't get us under the ltt.

I'd take Haywood/AV/Christmas/Harris. See if you can squeeze a protected 1st rd or a 2nd rounder as well.

Use the MLE and BAE to get a couple more players and let's roll.

Yes, no one is taking AV without a 1st round pick attached to him or the equivalent.

But taking him contract is a huge mistake. We'd be locked into a core that likely misses the post season for two straight seasons.

2015-16 salaries with AV:
Deron $21 million
Lopez $20 million
Thad $11.1 million
AV: $9.6 million
Jack $6.3 million
Bogs: $3.4 million
Blake: $2.1 million
Karasev $1.6 million
TRob $1.5 million
Larkin $1.5 million
RHJ $1.3 million
McC $1.1 million
CJeff $845k
Markell $845k
$82.1 million for 14 players

So we're really pretty much just under the projected tax of $83 so we couldn't use the MLE, BAE as we'd be over the tax if we use them. We'd have to further cut costs and trade players to use them.

For 2016-17
Deron $22.3 million
Lopez $20 million
Thad $12.5 million
AV $10.3 million
Bogs $3.6 million
RHJ $1.4 million
McC $1.2 million
Jack $500k gaurantee
$71.8 for 8 players (minimum salary)

Team options:
Karasev $2.5 million
Markell $1.2 million
$75.5 for 10 players (if TO's picked up)

Player options:
Larkin $1.5 million
TRob $1.5 million
$78.8 for 12 players (if TO's and PO's picked up)

Assuming a salary cap of $89 million they'd have $10-17 million cap space available - not enough to even offer a max. We discussed earlier how we're likely not a playoff team if we dump Joe and get nothing in return. We also significantly reduce our options for 2016-17 and commit ourselves largely to a core that frankly isn't good for two years. We're likely surrendering two high pick to the Celtics, wasting two years of our "cornerstones" primes.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#1162 » by Prokorov » Tue Jul 7, 2015 1:46 am

Mkdaman1818 wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/chrismannixsi/status/618233736522432512[/tweet]

i dont think the memphis deal works, not without other teams involved or without other moves happening first. we cant really do a 3 or 4 for 1 trade.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#1163 » by Prokorov » Tue Jul 7, 2015 1:50 am

kerry kittles wrote:
So we're really pretty much just under the projected tax of $83 so we couldn't use the MLE, BAE as we'd be over the tax if we use them. We'd have to further cut costs and trade players to use them.

For 2016-17
Deron $22.3 million
Lopez $20 million
Thad $12.5 million
AV $10.3 million
Bogs $3.6 million
RHJ $1.4 million
McC $1.2 million
Jack $500k gaurantee
$71.8 for 8 players (minimum salary)

Team options:
Karasev $2.5 million
Markell $1.2 million
$75.5 for 10 players (if TO's picked up)

Player options:
Larkin $1.5 million
TRob $1.5 million
$78.8 for 12 players (if TO's and PO's picked up)

Assuming a salary cap of $89 million they'd have $10-17 million cap space available - not enough to even offer a max. We discussed earlier how we're likely not a playoff team if we dump Joe and get nothing in return. We also significantly reduce our options for 2016-17 and commit ourselves largely to a core that frankly isn't good for two years. We're likely surrendering two high pick to the Celtics, wasting two years of our "cornerstones" primes.

the 16-17 numbers are bit different. AV is gauranteed 9.3 of his 10.3M deal so we save 1 M if he is waived. thads deal is also done with increases, he is due 13.3M in 16-17 not 12.5, so 800k more next year

overall your point is spot on. we can kill our cap space AND lock ourselves into a team that has to fight just to make the playoffs. if people think thad is worth it thats one thing, we can still potentially offer the smaller max deals with him here. with AV thats no max deals at all and really not that much to fill out the roster with starting talent.
kerry kittles
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,198

Post#1164 » by kerry kittles » Tue Jul 7, 2015 1:54 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Mkdaman1818 wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/wojyahoonba/status/618152442820206593[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/wojyahoonba/status/618153935048699904[/tweet]

david west on league minimum is the steal of the offseason.

basically the same as what kirilenko did to come here only west is healthier and better then ak was at that point

Notice...a team that wins, has a culture of accountability and competitiveness, gets themselves a legit starting PF for the vet min.

We will never, ever get deals like this unless the player is Russian and he's getting metal suitcases with unmarked cash left at his residence in an undisclosed location in Moscow.

We did get a deal like this AK47. It does annoy me a bit that all the talk is centered around the David West's financial sacrifice, will to win, the Spurs being a 1st rate organization and when we signed AK47 all the talk was about money under the table. On paper we were scheduled to be a very good team in 2013-14 and AK47 wanted to win, plus probably form a relationship with Prok - a powerful man in his country. I'm happy for the Spurs and David West and I greatly respect them both.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#1165 » by Paradise » Tue Jul 7, 2015 2:00 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ChrisMannixSI/status/618233736522432512[/tweet]
Zachbretton
Rookie
And1: 322

Post#1166 » by Zachbretton » Tue Jul 7, 2015 2:00 am

I just wouldn't expect any trade to go down between us and any team until after all the FA's are signed. Joe and DWill are only trades teams are going to make when they're in desperate need of talent at a position and are willing to over pay for it. So it's probably best to speculate after the 9th

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Mkdaman1818
Sixth Man
And1: 1,101

Post#1167 » by Mkdaman1818 » Tue Jul 7, 2015 2:07 am

Zachbretton wrote:I just wouldn't expect any trade to go down between us and any team until after all the FA's are signed. Joe and DWill are only trades teams are going to make when they're in desperate need of talent at a position and are willing to over pay for it. So it's probably best to speculate after the 9th

Most signings have already been announced. I see no reason why they'd have to wait till after the 9th. If anything, it's possible teams are waiting for the final cap figure.
Zachbretton
Rookie

Post#1168 » by Zachbretton » Tue Jul 7, 2015 2:11 am

Mkdaman1818 wrote:
Zachbretton wrote:I just wouldn't expect any trade to go down between us and any team until after all the FA's are signed. Joe and DWill are only trades teams are going to make when they're in desperate need of talent at a position and are willing to over pay for it. So it's probably best to speculate after the 9th

Most signings have already been announced. I see no reason why they'd have to wait till after the 9th. If anything, it's possible teams are waiting for the final cap figure.

I mean that too, but no team is going to overspend when they can still try and snag a couple smaller targets to fill the voids. No one is calling up Billy now for DWill when they can get another PG as a stop gap. Once all the chips fall, then people start noticing that trades are what's left

SIC
Senior
And1: 208

Post#1169 » by SIC » Tue Jul 7, 2015 2:14 am

Prokorov wrote:
SIC wrote:how about?

Nets: Allen/Lee, VC and Haywood
Cavs: Green
MEM: JJ

Nets get cap space, VC coming home, and another perimeter defender

Cav get another offensive option to play SF

Mem gets another offensive player.

hate it for the nets. what is the point of moving johnson if :

A) we dont get under the tax
B) we ADD 9.5M to out 16-17 cap

we should not be making short term win now moves that sacrafice future cap space and the ability to reset the repeater tax

What are you talking about?

It is basically the same deal as AV without including AV. Contracts from MEM are expiring and we still get Haywood's $10mil non guaranteed.

Like I have said before, you just hate things to hate them.

Not surprised.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#1170 » by Trader_Joe » Tue Jul 7, 2015 2:25 am

Guys..we're stretching D.Will. IMO it's obvious. Just not sure when..
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
Zachbretton
Rookie

Post#1171 » by Zachbretton » Tue Jul 7, 2015 2:39 am

Trader_Joe wrote:Guys..we're stretching D.Will. IMO it's obvious. Just not sure when..

Honestly I would still be surprised. Billy said it publicly that it's not happening... And at this point we have this year's contract already on our books.

I think we find a trade to be honest, an ugly one, but one nonetheless.

Mkdaman1818
Sixth Man
And1: 1,101

Post#1172 » by Mkdaman1818 » Tue Jul 7, 2015 2:44 am

Zachbretton wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:Guys..we're stretching D.Will. IMO it's obvious. Just not sure when..

Honestly I would still be surprised. Billy said it publicly that it's not happening... And at this point we have this year's contract already on our books.

My prediction is that we don't find a taker, we keep him to start this year, and either trade him at the deadline or stretch him next summer.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#1173 » by Trader_Joe » Tue Jul 7, 2015 2:50 am

Zachbretton wrote:

Why would we say we are?
That makes zero sense.

Of course the preferred method is a trade (and again why would a tram trade for a player if it was expected or announced we would stretch him?) But it is not realistic. Who would trade for him, why would they and what do they offer?
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Re: Re: 2015 Brooklyn Nets Offseason Thread II 

Post#1174 » by Paradise » Tue Jul 7, 2015 2:54 am

Yeah, I'm starting to believe that as well. It really comes down to if BK actually believes that 7 million cap hit will be worth removing Deron from this organization.
Swav718
Senior
And1: 138

Post#1175 » by Swav718 » Tue Jul 7, 2015 3:00 am

I think we start the season with him as our starting pg, rather him start than jack. I can see a team trading for him by the trade deadline if he pads his stats up a little, if we can't find a partner then he will be stretched next summer. Hopefully, he's kind enough to opt out next summer after all the pain he put us through and I believe he hates NY lol
Net Sentence
Veteran
And1: 334

Post#1176 » by Net Sentence » Tue Jul 7, 2015 3:28 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Net Sentence wrote:David West going to San Antonio puts huge pressure on both Houston and OKC to make a significant move to upgrade their roster.

Houston could possibly be a good destination in a potential DWill trade.

DWill & Bogs

for

Terrence Jones, Ariza, Montiejunas, Papanikolaou, Prigioni, Dorsey.

This makes sense for both teams. Houston desperately needs to upgrade at PG and shooting if they plan on contending in the West. They can resign Josh Smith to play PF and they drafted Montrez Harrell also. Sam Dekker can also play PF in a smaller lineup. Bogs would step in for Ariza at SF and be the catch and shoot threat for when Harden drives and kicks. Brewer can fill the defensive role that Ariza filled and they just resigned him. DWill's ability to play off the ball and catch and shoot matches up well with Harden also. Here is their lineup after the trade.

Howard
Josh Smith - Harrell
Bogs - Dekker - KJ McDaniels
Harden - Brewer - N Johnson
D Will - Beverly

For the Nets it will keep in line with the philosophical change to be more athletic. Before you say Houston is giving up too much consider that Montiejunas had back surgery and they were actively shopping T Jones.

Lopez - T Rob - Montiejunas
Thad - T Jones - Alexander - McCullough (IR)
Ariza - RHJ - Papanikolaou
Johnson - Markel - Boatright
Jack - Prigioni - Larkin

i love this trade.

That would turn us into an instant playoff team and a team that would make noise.

It would also put us over the tax.

It would clear cap for next season though.

Dorsey would be cut immediately.
Prigioni is an expiring
T Jones, Papanikolaou and Montiejunas are all RFA next year. If they pan out then they are under control for one more year.

Ariza is the only one under contract and it decreases the next two years consecutive.

If anyone is going to trade for DWill it's because of his catch and shoot ability. DWill shot 42.5% on catch and shoot 3s and had a eFG in catch and shoot situations of 62.5%. That was significantly higher then anyone on the Rockets. Morey is known for his strong belief in analytics so that is a big reason this makes sense. They lost to GS because they couldnt keep up with them. Adding DWill and Bogs would give them a lot more firepower
Born_Ready
Veteran
And1: 476

Post#1177 » by Born_Ready » Tue Jul 7, 2015 4:33 am

Net Sentence wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

i love this trade.

That would turn us into an instant playoff team and a team that would make noise.

It would clear cap for next season though.

Dorsey would be cut immediately.
Prigioni is an expiring
T Jones, Papanikolaou and Montiejunas are all RFA next year. If they pan out then they are under control for one more year.

Ariza is the only one under contract and it decreases the next two years consecutive.

If anyone is going to trade for DWill it's because of his catch and shoot ability. DWill shot 42.5% on catch and shoot 3s and had a eFG in catch and shoot situations of 62.5%. That was significantly higher then anyone on the Rockets. Morey is known for his strong belief in analytics so that is a big reason this makes sense. They lost to GS because they couldnt keep up with them. Adding DWill and Bogs would give them a lot more firepower

Mannnnn....fax that trade idea to the front office ASAP. Both teams win in that trade scenario.
OKC Thunder fan, too.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,769

Post#1178 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jul 7, 2015 5:07 am

kerry kittles wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
david west on league minimum is the steal of the offseason.

basically the same as what kirilenko did to come here only west is healthier and better then ak was at that point

Notice...a team that wins, has a culture of accountability and competitiveness, gets themselves a legit starting PF for the vet min.

We will never, ever get deals like this unless the player is Russian and he's getting metal suitcases with unmarked cash left at his residence in an undisclosed location in Moscow.

We did get a deal like this AK47. It does annoy me a bit that all the talk is centered around the David West's financial sacrifice, will to win, the Spurs being a 1st rate organization and when we signed AK47 all the talk was about money under the table. On paper we were scheduled to be a very good team in 2013-14 and AK47 wanted to win, plus probably form a relationship with Prok - a powerful man in his country. I'm happy for the Spurs and David West and I greatly respect them both.

Spurs are one of the best franchises in the modern day NBA

Nets are one of the worst franchises in the modern day NBA.

Who takes a paycut to come to the Nets? Seriously?
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Re: Re: 2015 Brooklyn Nets Offseason Thread II 

Post#1179 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jul 7, 2015 5:08 am

Paradise wrote:

Yeah, I'm starting to believe that as well. It really comes down to if BK actually believes that 7 million cap hit will be worth removing Deron from this organization.

I don't think its even about that. Its about the tax bill that will come due if they keep the piece of ****

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1180 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jul 7, 2015 5:23 am

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:That would turn us into an instant playoff team and a team that would make noise.

I think it would put us in a great position moving forward. get us some 2 way players and more competitive athletes. and free up more max money to build around lopez. allow us to offer a full max to a player with 10+ years in the league.

i dont know about "making noise" this year though. we would be really ugly at PG. we would have the same 3 point shooting issues(going from dwill/bogs to jack/ariza). we would still lack defense in the front court. i dont know that joe can gaurd the SG spot. and we still would lack 2 way players.

to me that team might be better. 43-45 wins instead of 38-42, but i dont think it raises the bar much other then having a team that plays harder nightly

This team is ugly at PG with or without Deron.

Either way, 45 wins would get us into the playoffs. Not a bad thing.

Reality is though....why would anyone trade for Deron? Seriously, this trade scenario is not even remotely realistic.

I love how we're supposed to care about the luxury tax expenses of an absentee owner and his basketball dumb front office, yet we'd assume that another team would be willing to go into the tax to have a bottom 30 PG making max dollars stink up their team.

Return to Brooklyn Nets