Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: Re: Rondae Hollis-Jefferson Official Thread 

Post#41 » by Prokorov » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:47 am

Paradise wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
halfHAVOC wrote:I like it, we got rid of plumlee and got an athletic wing defender.

The main thing i like about him is his motor and effort....this team LACKS heart, effort, motor so seems like the perfect spark to add to the team.

which is why it is inexcuseable they didnt draft montrez harrell. the highest motor hardest working player to come out in like a decade. him and RHJ could change the culture here. im not sure RHJ can, especially by himself.

i like RHJ, im ok with the trade but felt like it was pretty bad value. plumee was taken #22 and was a proven nba player and a big. to get a lower pick then we took plumlee on is kind of getting fleeced. we should have gotten another asset

How are we getting fleeced by taking the 23rd pick compared to the 22nd? It's the same thing but a much better prospect in return. Plumlee doesn't do anything great yet and he's 25. His value isn't as high as we thought.

plumlee is proven value and was picked 22. he should have gotten a pick in the teens. RHJ no matter how you project him is unproven. i like the player, im ok with the trade, but it was certainly poor value
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Re: Rondae Hollis-Jefferson Official Thread 

Post#42 » by NyCeEvO » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:54 am

Plumlee didn't get a pick in the teens because no one valued him in the teens. If they did, we would've got a pick in the teens.

The story from last night was how did NYK manage to get ATL to take for 1st rd pick, let alone #15. That's the mystery. It was THJr who was overvalued.

As other players began to fall in the draft, I'm sure teams in the teens who didn't think they'd get the guy they wanted all of a sudden valued their picks.

The question is also who in the teens believes Plumlee would fit their team, and if he was so good why didn't they offer their pick for him.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Re: Re: Re: Rondae Hollis-Jefferson Official Thread 

Post#43 » by Paradise » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:11 am

Prokorov wrote:
Paradise wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

which is why it is inexcuseable they didnt draft montrez harrell. the highest motor hardest working player to come out in like a decade. him and RHJ could change the culture here. im not sure RHJ can, especially by himself.

i like RHJ, im ok with the trade but felt like it was pretty bad value. plumee was taken #22 and was a proven nba player and a big. to get a lower pick then we took plumlee on is kind of getting fleeced. we should have gotten another asset

How are we getting fleeced by taking the 23rd pick compared to the 22nd? It's the same thing but a much better prospect in return. Plumlee doesn't do anything great yet and he's 25. His value isn't as high as we thought.

plumlee is proven value and was picked 22. he should have gotten a pick in the teens. RHJ no matter how you project him is unproven. i like the player, im ok with the trade, but it was certainly poor value

Everyone in the teens is much better than him. Nobody is going to give up a shot at Lyles, Payne, Booker and Miles Turner who are four and five years younger than Mason with more upside.

Everyone in this draft is unproven but you still have to draft and scout talent. RHJ is an elite defender and quality passer at 19 years old. Plumlee didn't have anything that stood out then and although, he's shown flashes of scoring efficiently. He hasn't developed anything to stand out now. This is an analytics league and everyone is aware he is a poor defender. The trade was fine. The biggest gripe I had was giving up Connaughton.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,851

Post#44 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:39 am

Claud wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:I don't mind this trade at all. Athletic SF that can defend both wing spots, long arms, can rebound, run the floor, handle the ball. Just gotta hope that he can develop a jumpshot. We needed this kind of player.

So he's kinda like Richard Jefferson?

I think RHJ at his age is better than RJ was IMO... better defender + more athletic. HUGE motor which is why I think he will succeed in this league. We drafted our starting SF for the next 5-7 years easily.

Only question mark is his shooting ability... but he's very young and he can improve. We need to hire a shooting coach ASAP.

Jefferson's shooting mechanics looked a lot better. This dude though is looks like he can be a stud defender/rebounder and I like his ball handle better than RJ's.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#45 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:40 am

Rich Rane wrote:
Claud wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:
So he's kinda like Richard Jefferson?

I think RHJ at his age is better than RJ was IMO... better defender + more athletic. HUGE motor which is why I think he will succeed in this league. We drafted our starting SF for the next 5-7 years easily.

Bold statements. I remember RJ could defend the 4 as well if he needed to. I remember when Lawrence Frank used to put him on Bosh for long stretches.

Pfft. You must have forgotten when Jason Collins shut Bosh down when we defeated the pussy ass Raptors.

what a glorious time

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#46 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:45 am

Prokorov wrote:
halfHAVOC wrote:I like it, we got rid of plumlee and got an athletic wing defender.

The main thing i like about him is his motor and effort....this team LACKS heart, effort, motor so seems like the perfect spark to add to the team.

You put too much value on Plumlee's original draft status. In a redraft he would have been picked higher honestly. It doesn't really matter. We used an asset to get a much needed athletic defensive wing and a back up PG to make jack expendable. I have no issues with the trade, or what we did in the draft

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#47 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:48 am

Net Sentence wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNWPLM8vo4A[/youtube]

Cant wait to see him play

All i see is

1)long ass arms

2)aggressiveness

3)defensive excellence in the passing lane

4)a rock pusher off of the steal, loose ball, or board. Every time his hands hit the ball he PUSHES it. That's what we've lacked since the kidd days. a dude that doesn't give a ****, and will push the ball up the court to make a goddamn play. He plays like a man goddamn it

i predict this guy will be the heart and soul of this team in years to come. perfect guy to have with brook and bojan.

Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,798

Post#48 » by Rich Rane » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:58 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:
Claud wrote:

Bold statements. I remember RJ could defend the 4 as well if he needed to. I remember when Lawrence Frank used to put him on Bosh for long stretches.

Pfft. You must have forgotten when Jason Collins shut Bosh down when we defeated the pussy ass Raptors.

what a glorious time

Twin was usually on Bosh, but I remember plenty of games where he would get into foul trouble and we had RJ guarding 4s and he held his own.

I remember that Game 6 back in 2007 though when RJ took it right at Bosh for the go-ahead and then denied the entry pass to seal the game. Great times.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#49 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:01 am

Rich Rane wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:

what a glorious time

Twin was usually on Bosh, but I remember plenty of games where he would get into foul trouble and we had RJ guarding 4s and he held his own.

I remember that Game 6 back in 2007 though when RJ took it right at Bosh for the go-ahead and then denied the entry pass to seal the game. Great times.

I was younger at that time, and I did not appreciate those teams.

Having a PG who played like a god. Having a stud SG. borderline all star SF. Two athletic wings who are # 2 and 3 all time leading scorers in nets history

wow. and look at us now :nonono:

halfHAVOC
Assistant Coach
And1: 176

Post#50 » by halfHAVOC » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:25 am

Prokorov wrote:
Paradise wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

Plumlee was so god awful after the allstar break though
Stream My New Basketball Anthem "KING": https://ampl.ink/7QwkY
Paradise

Post#51 » by Paradise » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:55 am

RHJ vs D'angelo Russell

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64DU-asXkAY[/youtube]
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#52 » by NyCeEvO » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:49 am

Paradise wrote:RHJ vs D'angelo Russell

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64DU-asXkAY[/youtube]

I've watched this video because other people have said RHD "shut down" D'Angelo and I just don't see it.

Don't get me wrong, he played solid defense but it looked more like D'Angelo had a bad shooting day than RHJ locking him.

I'm hoping that Hollins can teach RHJ proper defensive footwork. While it's not bad I think his length, athleticism, and intensity have covered up his average-level (for an NCAA player) technique. He's got the potential to have excellent technique and to learn how to defend better without expending extra energy.
Net Sentence
Veteran
And1: 334

Post#53 » by Net Sentence » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:25 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Net Sentence wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNWPLM8vo4A[/youtube]

Cant wait to see him play

All i see is

1)long ass arms

2)aggressiveness

3)defensive excellence in the passing lane

4)a rock pusher off of the steal, loose ball, or board. Every time his hands hit the ball he PUSHES it. That's what we've lacked since the kidd days. a dude that doesn't give a ****, and will push the ball up the court to make a goddamn play. He plays like a man goddamn it

i predict this guy will be the heart and soul of this team in years to come. perfect guy to have with brook and bojan.

Thad actually pushes the ball too, even though it was a small sample.

I agree with this guy being the heart and soul of the team. He is a charismatic guy and has leadership qualities.

Our core looks strong moving forward.

Lopez
Thad - McCullough
RHJ
Bogs - Markel
2016 FA

Billy King has done a pretty good job rebuilding this team since the Boston trade and the Kidd fiasco. One of the Nets biggest issues during the big 3 era has been getting easy baskets. The Nets were always playing vs set defenses because they couldnt force turnovers. Between Thad, RHJ, McCullough and Markel we should have a much improved defense in years to come. Thad isnt thought of as a great defender because he is undersized but he is one of the best players in the NBA at getting steals. Put RHJ's elite athleticism and length next to him and we should be much improved in transition.

RHJ is also a great rebounder for a SF as well as a great weak side shot blocker. This will allow Brook to challenge more shots this year when RHJ is on the floor because he knows someone is going to be rotating back to get his guy.
Born_Ready
Veteran
And1: 476

Post#54 » by Born_Ready » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:14 pm

I was curious to know what the Blazers fans thought of this pick- so I went down the hall to their forum. The majority of the board appeared to have liked the pick due to the fact they lost Batum. It got me thinking- do you think the Nets and Portland already had an agreement to send RHJ to Brooklyn for Mason? If not- why would Portland draft him when they have a void to fill at the SF position since Batum is no longer on the roster and not retain RHJ?

Either way-- I am starting to like what I am reading about Rondae Hollis-Jefferson. Just his athleticism alone is intriguing to me. I'm anxious to watch him ball out in summer league.
OKC Thunder fan, too.
Universe
Sixth Man
And1: 120

Post#55 » by Universe » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:35 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Paradise wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

Where he was taken has not much on his trade value. Bennett, Carter-Williams, Nogueira and Karasev were all drafted before him in 2013 and were traded for pretty much peanuts.

The problem with Mason and his value is that he needs Brook Lopez to get hurt to raise his stock. If Brook gets hurt though, we clearly can't trade him or Jerome Jordans would be our starting center. I too would rather have kept him, but getting someone who was ranked 16th in Draftexpress and fills a position of need is pretty decent.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Re: Re: Re: Rondae Hollis-Jefferson Official Thread 

Post#56 » by NyCeEvO » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:58 pm

Paradise wrote:Everyone in the teens is much better than him. Nobody is going to give up a shot at Lyles, Payne, Booker and Miles Turner who are four and five years younger than Mason with more upside.

Everyone in this draft is unproven but you still have to draft and scout talent. RHJ is an elite defender and quality passer at 19 years old. Plumlee didn't have anything that stood out then and although, he's shown flashes of scoring efficiently. He hasn't developed anything to stand out now. This is an analytics league and everyone is aware he is a poor defender. The trade was fine. The biggest gripe I had was giving up Connaughton.

Those two statements kinda contradict each other.

The bottom line is that we all know that Plumlee can have a positive impact on a team and add offensive verticality if there are multiple shooters/offensive options on the floor with him.

We saw how well he was playing when we adjusted our style to run with him and throw tons of lobs toward the basket.
We also saw how bad he could be when teams adjusted because we didn't have much outside shooting by keeping an extra man in the paint. Since he can't do much else on offense, he was rendered useless.

There will be several guys in the teens who won't contribute positively to a team the way Plumlee has done. But that's not the crux of the matter.

Every team places a high value on drafting the player they believe will succeed and won't be a bust. Every team drafting in the teens believes that their draftee will contribute and be better than what Plumlee has shown.

Just because the Hawks were off their rocker and valued THJr as a mid-1st rd pick doesn't mean that everyone else should go crazy and value Plumlee at a higher level.

During draft time, you're paying for potential.

Obviously the Nets believed one of two things about Plumlee or maybe both:
1) He would not reach his full potential in our system and the level that he is currently at is of less value to us than what we believe RHJ can do.

2) Plumlee is already close to or has reached his max potential and we believe RHJ has higher potential and a better chance of achieving his potential with us.

Portland is betting that we are wrong in evaluating Plumlee and we are betting that they are wrong in evaluating RHJ. It's as simple as that.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,801

Post#57 » by Chuck Everett » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:44 am

I love the pick personally. This kid has tremendous growth potential. Even without a jumper, this guy becomes a supped-up version of Tony Allen IMO. A jumper and the Nets have an all-star caliber wing. It's all up to Rondae. He has the tools.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#58 » by Prokorov » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:40 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:Plumlee didn't get a pick in the teens because no one valued him in the teens. If they did, we would've got a pick in the teens.

The story from last night was how did NYK manage to get ATL to take for 1st rd pick, let alone #15. That's the mystery. It was THJr who was overvalued.

As other players began to fall in the draft, I'm sure teams in the teens who didn't think they'd get the guy they wanted all of a sudden valued their picks.

The question is also who in the teens believes Plumlee would fit their team, and if he was so good why didn't they offer their pick for him.

I hate the knicks but THj is a good 2 way player and exactly the type the hawks covet... they look for not jsut 3 and D guys, but 3 and D guys who can put the ball on the floor and defend multipe positions. THj can defend 1-3, hit the 3, and put it on the deck. he is also a proven nba player, which is always valued.

i dont know that we couldnt have gotten a pick in the teens for plumlee, cause i just dont have faith in king, but lets say your right... why did we also have to include a #41 pick even with us takign on blakes salary? to me thats just classic king overpaying when he doesnt need to
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#59 » by Prokorov » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:44 pm

Net Sentence wrote:
Lopez
Thad - McCullough
RHJ
Bogs - Markel
2016 FA

i LOVE RHJ... but take your nets glasses off man. that is not a strong core at all. not a single 2 way player, and outside of lopez and who knows on RHJ not a single all-star calibur player.

2 second rounders, 2 20's picks, an overpaid thad, and a maxed brook is not a strong core.

The bar continues t be set so low by some fans.... this is like earlier in the season with people defending dwill when he would post 11/5 in a loss saying it was one of his better games and we can win if he keeps it up. :crazy:
Paradise

Post#60 » by Paradise » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:10 pm

Prokorov wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:Plumlee didn't get a pick in the teens because no one valued him in the teens. If they did, we would've got a pick in the teens.

I hate the knicks but THj is a good 2 way player and exactly the type the hawks covet... they look for not jsut 3 and D guys, but 3 and D guys who can put the ball on the floor and defend multipe positions. THj can defend 1-3, hit the 3, and put it on the deck. he is also a proven nba player, which is always valued.

What? Tim Hardaway Jr doesn't defend whatsoever. Ask the Knick board.

Return to Brooklyn Nets