Nets Summer League Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Re: Nets Summer League Thread 

Post#41 » by NyCeEvO » Mon Jul 6, 2015 1:33 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Not surprised that Boatright is killing it.

Meanwhile, I think that the Nets should have had Brown focus on becoming a 3 and D guard instead of anything else.

I don't know why they told him to focus on playing PG.

He doesn't have court vision nor the ballhandling skills. His goal should be to become the best Tony Allen/Demarre Carroll hybrid he can be.

We need shooters on this team. If you want another ball distributor, go sign one. Brown isn't going to develop into one.
JoseRizal
General Manager
And1: 2,233

Post#42 » by JoseRizal » Mon Jul 6, 2015 2:03 pm

Looking at Brown manning the point is like looking at a 13yo girl wearing stilettos for the first time...
SIC
Senior
And1: 208

Post#43 » by SIC » Mon Jul 6, 2015 2:30 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Not surprised that Boatright is killing it.

Meanwhile, I think that the Nets should have had Brown focus on becoming a 3 and D guard instead of anything else.

I don't know why they told him to focus on playing PG.

He doesn't have court vision nor the ballhandling skills. His goal should be to become the best Tony Allen/Demarre Carroll hybrid he can be.

We need shooters on this team. If you want another ball distributor, go sign one. Brown isn't going to develop into one.

They probably told him that at exit interview. With Larkin and Boatright, I think the plan has changed.

I agree with Dolla. Now Brown has to be a 3nD guy.
SIC
Senior

Post#44 » by SIC » Mon Jul 6, 2015 2:31 pm

JoseRizal wrote:Looking at Brown manning the point is like looking at a 13yo girl wearing stilettos for the first time...

Brown hasnt played PG in the first two games of the Summer league.

Not sure what you are talking about.
SIC
Senior

Post#45 » by SIC » Mon Jul 6, 2015 2:36 pm

We wont be seeing much in these games from Brown, CJ, RHJ and Alexander until Wolf plays them the right way.

No coincidence they played better yesterday because they were play their games. Brown playing off Dwill in this situation playing off Boatright. RHJ playing good defense and attacking the rim. I think Alexander looks lost out there. CJ looks solid until he messes up with in bounds and careless TOs.

Brown needs to keep playing tough D and keep shooting.
AHJ needs to keep playing tough D and Keep attacking the rim.
Boatright needs to keep playing Tough D and Keep shooting the ball.
Alexander needs to try to play tough D and keep rebounding the ball.
CJ needs to keep playing Tough D, Rebound the ball, attack the rim and shoot the mid range jumper
Net Sentence
Veteran
And1: 334

Post#46 » by Net Sentence » Mon Jul 6, 2015 5:15 pm

Joseph Young is 4-4 with 9 pts in the first quarter. :(
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#47 » by Paradise » Tue Jul 7, 2015 7:37 pm

Markel showing signs of shooting improvement
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#48 » by NyCeEvO » Tue Jul 7, 2015 8:09 pm

This is the first summer league game I've watched.

This is brutal.
Born_Ready
Veteran
And1: 476

Post#49 » by Born_Ready » Tue Jul 7, 2015 8:10 pm

Markel's shooting ability is beyond putrid. He just shot the ball that hit the left side of the backboard (wasn't even close to the rim). Yikes.
OKC Thunder fan, too.
Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#50 » by Claud » Wed Jul 8, 2015 2:57 am

Thoughts after 3 games:

First of all, it is just summer league so let's keep that in mind.

1) RHJ reminds me of a young Artest AKA Metta World Peace. Just something about him. He looks like he can be part of the rotation from day one because of his length and defensive activity but I expect him to have a rough rookie season. He will need to learn to play smart defense in the pros which means avoid gambling so much and not fouling a lot. His offense will be fine once he plays with more talented players like Brook and the rest. His shot isn't MKG bad thankfully.

2) I would be surprised if Markel Brown is still in the league in 2-3 years. His strengths are good defense and athletic ability but he seems too short to play SG and has no business running the point. He is athletic but doesn't finish good enough around the rim IMO. Unless he can consistently knock down shots, I just don't see it unfortunately. I want to be wrong.

3) CJ looks bigger which is a really good thing for his game. Still makes a lot of dumb mistakes but I see some improvement. I think he will make it to training camp.

4) Clark is the Jack of summer league. He is just a negative. I don't see him making the team.

5) Boatright's scoring ability and shooting has been an interesting development. I think he pounds the ball too much for my liking but I hope it's just because it is summer league... he needs to share the rock. Solid 3rd string option Behind Dwill/Larkin.

6) Cliff Alexanders seems to be raw as hell... Still, I see talent. I really hope he makes it to training because I can see him becoming a solid rotation big in 2-3 years.

7) Thames seems to only have one solid NBA skill... quick hands/ solid on ball D... after that not much to see. No PG skills and inconsistent shooting.

8) J.Simmons and K.Birch have had good flashes and players like them is the reason why we should have a D-League in place... I hope they fix that ASAP.

9) The rest of the roster looks very shaky. I doubt there are any NBA players tbh.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#51 » by Paradise » Wed Jul 8, 2015 7:42 am

Johnathon Simmons has been a nice surprise. His motor is impressive as well as his offensive skills. If he continues to play well he should definitely get a look in training camp.

Boatright didn't score well at all today but he made up for it by showcasing good on ball defense, rebounding and making plays for his teammates.

Seems like RHJ is molding his offensive game by going inside- out. He looks comfortable shooting jumpers from the mid-range elbow.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#52 » by Prokorov » Wed Jul 8, 2015 11:38 am

Claud wrote:4) Clark is the Jack of summer league. He is just a negative. I don't see him making the team.

Clark is the clark of summer league :D

dude was chucky mcchukerson last season for us
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#53 » by Prokorov » Wed Jul 8, 2015 11:42 am

Paradise wrote:Johnathon Simmons has been a nice surprise. His motor is impressive as well as his offensive skills. If he continues to play well he should definitely get a look in training camp.

Boatright didn't score well at all today but he made up for it by showcasing good on ball defense, rebounding and making plays for his teammates.

Seems like RHJ is molding his offensive game by going inside- out. He looks comfortable shooting jumpers from the mid-range elbow.

he does, however id try and break him from thad. pairing himw ith thad/lopez who already shoot a high volume of mid range jumpers not necessarily a good thing. with time, i think he could become a decent 3 point shooter if thats his main focus.

Look at trevor ariza, he was a poor 3 point shooter when he came in, and he came in the league pretty young too. but after his 7th or 8th season he became a guy who you cant leave open from 3.

if RHJ can become ariza that would be big. hopefull he would develop faster, but i think thats the end game we want
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,486

Post#54 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jul 8, 2015 1:04 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/618581596837425152[/tweet]

Agreed.

I think Simmons is worth a training camp invite, but not having a d league team is killing us right now.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Net Sentence
Veteran

Post#55 » by Net Sentence » Wed Jul 8, 2015 10:33 pm

Joseph Young put up 25 today. :cry:

The Nets should have drafted this kid. He is going to be a lights out scorer. Between Young and Myles Turner, the Pacers had a good draft.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#56 » by Prokorov » Wed Jul 8, 2015 11:14 pm

Net Sentence wrote:Joseph Young put up 25 today. :cry:

The Nets should have drafted this kid. He is going to be a lights out scorer. Between Young and Myles Turner, the Pacers had a good draft.

he probably isnt going to play much. let alone be a lights out scorer. 25 points in summer pick up ball doesnt mean alot. take a look back at the last decade of summer league. guys have balled out and not been able to keep a job in the nba.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#57 » by Prokorov » Wed Jul 8, 2015 11:16 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/618581596837425152[/tweet]

Agreed.

I think Simmons is worth a training camp invite, but not having a d league team is killing us right now.

we have alot of young guys going to be in camp. i dont think we are going to really miss out if a guy like simmons isnt brought here. the team has seen the kid, if they thought he was better then other options they would have him in camp. lets keep in mind all these guys are really long shots, as much heart as they might show.
Net Sentence
Veteran

Post#58 » by Net Sentence » Wed Jul 8, 2015 11:25 pm

Prokorov wrote:

he probably isnt going to play much. let alone be a lights out scorer. 25 points in summer pick up ball doesnt mean alot. take a look back at the last decade of summer league. guys have balled out and not been able to keep a job in the nba.

If he doesnt play much this year it will be because of who is ahead of him. Monta Ellis and Rodney Stuckey. Steve Nash never got to play when he got to the NBA because Kidd and Kevin Johnson were ahead of him.

Here is the general summer league rule. If you play well then it doesnt say much. If you play poorly vs non NBA comp then it is a concern. Young isnt struggling and his shot looks money.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#59 » by Prokorov » Wed Jul 8, 2015 11:55 pm

Net Sentence wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

If he doesnt play much this year it will be because of who is ahead of him. Monta Ellis and Rodney Stuckey. Steve Nash never got to play when he got to the NBA because Kidd and Kevin Johnson were ahead of him.

Here is the general summer league rule. If you play well then it doesnt say much. If you play poorly vs non NBA comp then it is a concern. Young isnt struggling and his shot looks money.

steve nash was the 15th pick in the nba draft and a better player then young. i dont see the comparison. young wont play because he isnt good enough. and he wouldnt be if ellis wasnt on the team either.

actually, playing poorly in summer league isnt really a concern

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/618581596837425152[/tweet]
Net Sentence
Veteran

Post#60 » by Net Sentence » Thu Jul 9, 2015 5:40 pm

Joe Young is tearing it up yet again. Damn, why did we pick that Euro over him SMH

Return to Brooklyn Nets