ImageImageImageImageImage

Nets Summer League Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

SIC
Senior
And1: 208

Re: Nets Summer League Thread 

Post#121 » by SIC » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:52 pm

I really hope Larkin impresses and Hollins lets him start.

I took a look at some of Larkin's stats and videos. This kid really likes to steal the ball.

I can see a lot of easy points with a starting lineup of Larkin, Bogs, RHJ, and Thad with Lopez trailing with open 3pt shots.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#122 » by CalamityX12 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:17 pm

SIC wrote:I really hope Larkin impresses and Hollins lets him start.

I took a look at some of Larkin's stats and videos. This kid really likes to steal the ball.

I can see a lot of easy points with a starting lineup of Larkin, Bogs, RHJ, and Thad with Lopez trailing with open 3pt shots.

Only Bogs is the credible 3pt shooter though in that lineup...

Larkin has low % IIRC but not a lot of attempts.
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
kerry kittles
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,198

Post#123 » by kerry kittles » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:49 pm

Larkin started 22 games last year:
30.7 mpg, 6.4 ppg on 45.3 TS%, 2.5 rpg, 4.0 apg

Highlight videos can make anyone look good. He was significantly less efficient as a starter than as a reserve. Knicks fans and others have echoed he struggles when given a bigger role and is suited best a change of pace guard.

I don't love Jack as a starter either. We really don't have any great options here. I'm disappointed we didn't try to move up with the 29th pick packaged with Karasev, Brown, the 39th pick we acquired, etc. to grab a point guard in the draft.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#124 » by Trader_Joe » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:55 pm

kerry kittles wrote:

Highlight videos can make anyone look good. He was significantly less efficient as a starter than as a reserve. Knicks fans and others have echoed he struggles when given a bigger role and is suited best a change of pace guard.

I don't love Jack as a starter either. We really don't have any great options here. I'm disappointed we didn't try to move up with the 29th pick packaged with Karasev, Brown, the 39th pick we acquired, etc. to grab a point guard in the draft.

I'm not sure that package moves us up much..and not enough for a T.Jones, D.Wright, J.Grant
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
kerry kittles
Assistant Coach

Post#125 » by kerry kittles » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:00 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:
kerry kittles wrote:

I'm not sure that package moves us up much..and not enough for a T.Jones, D.Wright, J.Grant

Tyus Jones was traded for the 31st and 36th pick plus a future 2nd. If we acquired the 39th pick and moved it with the 29th woand Brown or Karasev wouldn't that be similar value?
Zachbretton
Rookie
And1: 322

Post#126 » by Zachbretton » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:08 pm

kerry kittles wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:
kerry kittles wrote:

Tyus Jones was traded for the 31st and 36th pick plus a future 2nd. If we acquired the 39th pick and moved it with the 29th woand Brown or Karasev wouldn't that be similar value?

You think Tyus Jones is a more NBA ready starter than Jack or even Larkin?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
kerry kittles
Assistant Coach

Post#127 » by kerry kittles » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:12 pm

Zachbretton wrote:
kerry kittles wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:I'm not sure that package moves us up much..and not enough for a T.Jones, D.Wright, J.Grant

TJ said we didn't have enough to acquire T. jones. All I was really saying is we did have enough.
Zachbretton
Rookie
And1: 322

Post#128 » by Zachbretton » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:13 pm

kerry kittles wrote:
Zachbretton wrote:
kerry kittles wrote:

TJ said we didn't have enough to acquire T. jones. All I was really saying is we did have enough.

Right, I agree we had the value as you pointed out. But my post stood more as a follow up question, because I see that even if we got a PG in the draft, he wouldn't be the starter over Jack or even Larkin

Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#129 » by Trader_Joe » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:15 pm

kerry kittles wrote:
Zachbretton wrote:
kerry kittles wrote:

Yeah we might have been able to get him. Not a huge fan though. I think we need a PG with size. I would have liked Wright
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
kerry kittles
Assistant Coach

Post#130 » by kerry kittles » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:23 pm

Zachbretton wrote:
kerry kittles wrote:
Zachbretton wrote:

Right, I agree we had the value as you pointed out. But my post stood more as a follow up question, because I see that even if we got a PG in the draft, he wouldn't be the starter over Jack or even Larkin

I don't really love Tyus Jones. On the surface he shot pretty well at Duke and we can use shooting. But Shane Larkin also shot well and that didn't translate too well. I think he is riding a bit of the championship wave - propelling his stock higher, but I haven't really read up on him too much, watched a ton of film, and feel in a great position to answer, but on the surface I don't think he'd be a starter.

I really wanted Delon Wright and I think a number of people here did. I think he's a good floor general who could play well with the starters. I think Jack for his shortcomings is still a good leader - curry credited him and someone who can help a young player develop. I would've given thought to moving Bogdanovic to grab him - I think Bogs has better value than THJR.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#131 » by Trader_Joe » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:27 pm

kerry kittles wrote:
Zachbretton wrote:
kerry kittles wrote:

I don't really love Tyus Jones. On the surface he shot pretty well at Duke and we can use shooting. But Shane Larkin also shot well and that didn't translate too well. I think he is riding a bit of the championship wave - propelling his stock higher, but I haven't really read up on him too much, watched a ton of film, and feel in a great position to answer, but on the surface I don't think he'd be a starter.

I really wanted Delon Wright and I think a number of people here did. I think he's a good floor general who could play well with the starters. I think Jack for his shortcomings is still a good leader - curry credited him and someone who can help a young player develop. I would've given thought to moving Bogdanovic to grab him - I think Bogs has better value than THJR.

The only PGs in the draft (besides of course Russel and Mudiay) I really like were Payne and D.Wright. I don't think we had enough to get either. Maybe Bogs could have landed us Wright, but that would have been very risky IMO. J.Grant is more a combo guard and not a great shooter.
kerry kittles
Assistant Coach

Post#132 » by kerry kittles » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:34 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:
kerry kittles wrote:
Zachbretton wrote:Right, I agree we had the value as you pointed out. But my post stood more as a follow up question, because I see that even if we got a PG in the draft, he wouldn't be the starter over Jack or even Larkin

The only PGs in the draft (besides of course Russel and Mudiay) I really like were Payne and D.Wright. I don't think we had enough to get either. Maybe Bogs could have landed us Wright, but that would have been very risky IMO. J.Grant is more a combo guard and not a great shooter.

In an ideal world:
I would still do the RHJ trade - I like him
I would trade Bogdanovic to Atlanta and draft Wright over Grant. I think Bogs is better than THJR and a good fit for Atlanta.
I move the 29th pick with some of the smaller assets above to move up a couple spots and draft RJ Hunter to replace Bogs shooting.

I think Wright/Hunter/RHJ would all compliment each other well with Thad + Brook in fold and give us something to build upon moving forward.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#133 » by Trader_Joe » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:41 pm

kerry kittles wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:
kerry kittles wrote:

In an ideal world:
I would trade Bogdanovic to Atlanta and draft Wright over Grant. I think Bogs is better than THJR and a good fit for Atlanta.
I move the 29th pick with some of the smaller assets above to move up a couple spots and draft RJ Hunter to replace Bogs shooting.

I think Wright/Hunter/RHJ would all compliment each other well with Thad + Brook in fold and give us something to build upon moving forward.

Not sure Atlanta would have done that trade as Korver and Bogs seem somewhat redundant and Hardaway is younger, cheaper and probably a better defender and fit. But, in general, yeah, I like that scenario.
SIC
Senior
And1: 208

Post#134 » by SIC » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:02 pm

kerry kittles wrote:

I understand what you are saying about Larkin last year, but remember what happened to JR Smith and Shumpert after they got traded. Larkin has already said the Triangle didnt fit his style. Maybe the Triangle didnt fit JR SMith and Shumpert style either.

I am not saying the Larkin is the ideal Starting PG but if I had to pick between Larkin and Jack mostly on how Jack played with Lopez and Thad last year, I would rather go with the UNKNOWN.

I agree with you that Nets should have found a way to draft a PG, but we would be in the same situation where we are thinking Jack is the STARTER. At least Larkin has been in the league for two years and has had some very good games in the NBA.
Zombiesonics
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,213

Post#135 » by Zombiesonics » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:16 pm

just for all the tyus jones can start talk

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPswLYiJajo[/youtube]
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#136 » by kamaze » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:15 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:In an ideal world:

Not sure Atlanta would have done that trade as Korver and Bogs seem somewhat redundant and Hardaway is younger, cheaper and probably a better defender and fit. But, in general, yeah, I like that scenario.[/quote]

Hardaway sucks Atlanta traded for him because he's an expiring bet NY offered him for the pick.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#137 » by kamaze » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:21 pm

"I think we need to find a third guy. there will be candidates. We just have to make sure that the two guys we have in Shane Larkin and also Jarrett stay healthy. We do have to have a third guy. I'm comfortable with Shane. I'm comfortable with Jarrett. Just want to have some insurance.

"[Boatright] is a candidate. No question about it. He is a candidate. I dont know who else we'll bring to camp. It's competition and you have to earn it. He's played well in summer league and earned the right to come back in training camp. But you never know we MAY make a trade. Anything is possible that could cause the situation to change."

From what Lionell Hollins said Boatwright has a shot in training camp wouldn't mind them bringing in another guard to look at.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Re: Re: Nets Summer League Thread 

Post#138 » by Paradise » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:42 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Alexander is a good prospect to look at considering the fact that our 1st rd pick will probably not play this season. Rebounding/Shot blocking translates. There's no crime in having him in camp and seeing what he can do against NBA talent. He's also young and has upside...its kind of odd to see fans of a team that has no control over its own picks until 2019 holding their nose up at young talent with upside. I take good long looks at Alexander and Boatright and don't think twice about it.

Exactly. Our best team in Brooklyn came with Kris Humphries and Reggie Evans being our two frontcourt PFs. What's wrong with developing Alexander to be a long term version of Kris Humphries?

Return to Brooklyn Nets