ImageImageImageImageImage

Where/When Do We Find Our Next PG?

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

jbeachboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 359

Re: Where/When Do We Find Our Next PG? 

Post#61 » by jbeachboy » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:22 pm

im not sure larkin can be anything more than a backup in this league due to his height , he is 5 foot 11 and im not even sure he is even that tall, he looks even smaller . he doesnt seem like the strongest guy either
Ror1997
Analyst
And1: 911

Post#62 » by Ror1997 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:31 pm

jbeachboy wrote:im not sure larkin can be anything more than a backup in this league due to his height , he is 5 foot 11 and im not even sure he is even that tall, he looks even smaller . he doesnt seem like the strongest guy either

He's small but he's also very quick. We don't need him to put up 14 ppg but if he can move the ball and move around the court well, then he'll be a good piece for this team.
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach

Post#63 » by jbeachboy » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:38 pm

Ror1997 wrote:
jbeachboy wrote:im not sure larkin can be anything more than a backup in this league due to his height , he is 5 foot 11 and im not even sure he is even that tall, he looks even smaller . he doesnt seem like the strongest guy either

He's small but he's also very quick. We don't need him to put up 14 ppg but if he can move the ball and move around the court well, then he'll be a good piece for this team.

i know but im just concerned because i dont even think he is 5 foot 11 and he doesnt seem like the strongest guy either and alot of point guards are like 6 foot 4 or 6 foot 5 like russell and mudiay now
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,544

Post#64 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:45 pm

I don't like the idea of Larkin starting at all tbh.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Ror1997
Analyst
And1: 911

Post#65 » by Ror1997 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:04 pm

I look at Larkin kind of like a draft pick. He's only 22, hes new to our system and yeah he has 2 years of experience but they werent 2 years where he could actually prove himself.

Hollins has been watching him since Miami so I trust that he already has an idea of how he fits into this team.
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach

Post#66 » by jbeachboy » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:17 pm

larkin never really got much of a chance in dallas and was in a bad triangle offense system on an awful knicks team so im looking forward to seeing why he was the 18th pick
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#67 » by NyCeEvO » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:44 pm

Not like we have the assets to get him or anything but since he was mentioned earlier, I figured I'd post this article:

SN sources: Eric Bledsoe trade won't be easy for Suns, but Kings interested
June 29, 2015 11:06am EDT

As a report surfaced that the Suns were planning to re-sign restricted free agent point guard Brandon Knight, Eric Bledsoe's path out of Phoenix became clearer — if not easier.

Sporting News reported last week that the Suns had been shopping Bledsoe. But trading Bledsoe, according to league sources, will not prove to be easy for Phoenix. “There was a reason,” one general manager told SN, “that no one wanted to give him that ($70 million) contract last year. I think you still have to worry about his health. I think you worry about how coachable he is, too.”

Bledsoe played 81 games last season, but has missed significant portions of two of his five NBA seasons. Bledsoe tore cartilage in his knee in late 2013, and had surgery to repair it shortly thereafter. He had surgery on the meniscus of the same knee in 2011.

After an unexpectedly productive season in 2013-14, the Suns hit a major backslide last year, when a glut of guards — including Bledsoe, fellow starter Goran Dragic and free-agent signee Isaiah Thomas — created chemistry problems. Dragic and Thomas were both traded at last February’s trade deadline.

Bledsoe never caused any issues publicly or privately, sources said, but his performance suffered. He averaged 17.0 points, and his shooting dropped from 47.7 percent the previous year to 44.7 percent. He shot only 32.4 percent from the 3-point line.

Still, Bledsoe is only 25 and has value, even with the four years and $57 million left on his contract.

The Kings, one source said, are expected to express interest in Bledsoe. While Sacramento has been buried in rumors involving center DeMarcus Cousins, a league executive said the Kings have been far more focused on improving the point guard position. The Kings started Darren Collison at the position, but would like to move him into a backup role. And if Sacramento keeps Cousins, bringing in his former Kentucky teammate and good friend surely would help to keep him happy.

The more likely scenario, though, will have the Suns approaching the Bledsoe situation with patience. There is more cap space available out on the free-agent market this summer than there is talent, and that could leave some teams desperate by mid-July, when the first wave of top free agents signs, and few players are remaining.

“I would expect that to be a situation that you would be OK with extending into the late summer,” the league executive said. “There is no hurry and you have to know someone is going to be out there looking to make a move once the dust settles.”

via http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2015-06-29/nba-free-agency-trade-rumor-eric-bledsoe-sacramento-kings-phoenix-suns
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#68 » by NyCeEvO » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:37 am

The more I think about it and the more tape I watch, I think we really should try to target Eric Bledsoe.

2016 FA class isn't as good as we thought
The much heralded potential 2016 free agent class has lost a ton of its wow factor. The Bleacher Report actually did a solid job detailing how everyone thought players would go for 1+1 deals like LBJ. Instead it turned out that a lot of guys took long contracts. This means that in the year of the major cap spike, almost every team will have money to spend but there will be very few quality players to spend it on.

Outside of Kevin Durant, the only all-stars are Mike Conley and Al Horford.

Conley will be 28 this upcoming season and 29 by the start of the 2016 season.
Horford just turned 29 and will be 30 by the start of the 2016 season.

Do we want to go through the high salary, low impact scenario again?
Neither player is "old" in basketball years but the question is "Do you really want to give guys who are turning 30 4yr deals worth 80+mil?" If guys like Millsap are getting 4yr/$80mil in the pre-cap spike era, what will Conley and Horford get when the cap does increase? I kinda shudder at the thought.

And if we miss out on those guys, we have to overpay worse players just to meet the salary floor.

Who wants to offer Nic Batum 4yr/75mil?
How about an 3yr/$60mil contract to a breaking down Joakim Noah?
4yr/90mil for Eric Gordon?

In order to meet the salary floor next season, we have to have a total team salary of 90% of the cap. Current projections have the cap around $89-90mil and so that means we need to reach about $81mil in team salary. While a number of players have POs and Karasev has a TO, we're probably looking at some $40-45mil in cap space and $30-$35mil to reach the salary cap floor.

I don't want to use it on guys who are close to or already turning 30, or players who don't have a good impact. Signing big "name" players to huge, long-term contracts is exactly what got us into this mess. Now it seems like the organization has finally realized that being a luxury tax spender doesn't mean that you will automatically become a winning franchise.

I'd prefer to trade for a player who has a good deal under a pre-cap increase contract, so that it becomes a great deal under the new salary cap.

Why trading for a disgruntled star is actually realistic
As I've said a few times before, I believe the best chance for the Nets to acquire legit talent is for said talent to request a trade and force a trade to the Nets.

This might seem outlandish but it has happened before with Dwight. We all know what happened so there's no need to re-hash the details but disgruntled stars requesting out is something that has happened plenty of times before and still happens today.

Melo to NY...Dwight to BK LA...CP3 to LAL LAC...Love to CLE...Dragic to MIA

Every season a new star player is requesting a trade and oftentimes the writing is on the wall before it actually happens. And this is exactly the case with Bledsoe.

Bledsoe's frustration and possible destinations
It's well known that both Dragic and Bledsoe disliked the 3 PG experiment. And just when Bledsoe thought that he'd finally be the guy in Phoenix after the Dragic trade, in comes another PG (Brandon Knight) to continue this multi-PG system.

Eric Bledsoe is represented by LeBron's agent group, CAA. We know how much power they wield within the league. If Bledsoe is truly unhappy with the situation and he wants out, you better believe his agency is going to be naming teams he'd prefer to be traded to and you can expect the big city teams in need of a PG will be the first ones one the list.

LAL? Well wait...they just drafted a 19yo PG they believe could be a stud and an eventual successor to Kobe. While LAL would probably hesitate and think about it, the fact that they already have two young good guards on rookie deals may keep them from doing it before the season starts.

SAC?...well they just (foolishly IMO) gave away their draft considerations for the next two years and they don't even have a sizable expiring contract to offer in return for Bledsoe if they seriously believe they're a contender for free agents in the offseason.

CHI?...I don't think PHX will be excited to take on Rose and his issues and if Chicago doesn't trade Rose, Bledsoe is right back in the same multi-PG situation he had in PHX.

MIA?...just signed Dragic. Nope.

NYK?...Yeah, I could see them trading Grant for Bledsoe but who knows if Bledsoe really want to give the triangle a shot. (I don't buy that the triangle is really a system players want are actively trying to avoid. I think it's just an easy excuse to give for players who don't want to wait for the Knicks to finish rebuilding.)

The only big market team left? BKN.

Incentive for PHX to do a trade
Take note of this...PHX also has their own pick in 2016 and with known penny pincher Bob Sarver as owner, I'm sure they wouldn't mind saving more money for the future and tanking this season under the guise of preparing for the future and signing big FAs. Hey, this is exactly what NYK did this season but PHX was actually able to get Aldridge to seriously consider signing there. Maybe this offseason boosts their confidence heading into next offseason and they believe that they can sign multiple big time FAs to pair with their high 2016 draft pick, Knight, and a solid vet like Chandler.

Injury concern isn't that big of an issue anymore
Some of you may be wary of Bledsoe's injury history but I look at him just like a view Westbrook.

WB had 3 surgeries on the same knee and look at he's bounced back. He put up an MVP caliber season.
Look at D-Rose with his multiple serious knee injuries. He's came back and had a solid postseason run. His athleticism isn't what kept him back from playing well (that was his shooting).
Eric Bledsoe has had knee surgery and he played 81 games last season. I don't know how much more he can show that he's healthy.

While each player's body is different, given the way that some of the most explosive PGs that have ever graced a basketball court have come back and have been just as dominant and athletic as ever gives me confidence that Bledsoe can remain healthy. And even if he did have another injury, knee surgery has almost become a routine procedure for NBA guys now.

What it could take to get Bledsoe
Everyone knows we lack assets but I think there is a realistic way where we can come up with a somewhat appealing offer if Bledsoe actually wants out.

— PHX has made it clear that they want to get rid of Markieff Morris. You may not love his contract but a guy making $8mil per season is the new trade filler contract. I'd take him on if it means being able to giving PHX an incentive to deal Bledsoe.

He's the better of the two Morris brothers and he's actually a decent defender and scorer. His mid-range game is surprisingly good. The highest % of his FG came from the 10-16ft range (24.6% of them) and he shot 50.2% in that range and shoots 61.1FG% in the 0-3ft range. For $8mil/season, I'll take that.

— The proposed deal would be JJ/Karasev for Bledsoe/Markieff.

Again, the only way I can see PHX considering this deal is if Bledsoe asks out. If he does, that increases our leverage.
If we take on Markieff, that gives PHX more incentive although I'm sure other teams would offer to do the same.
If PHX and Sarver would actually consider the tank and splurge for 2016, then our offer might actually appeal to them since JJ is an expiring and Karasev is a TO. They can save a ton of money heading in 2016 FA and have a high draft pick to pair with Knight for the future. They could also play up the "Bringing JJ home" narrative like other teams have done for players who've left teams and come back years later. I can see it as a win-win for both teams.

Now back to us....

How to approach 2016 & 2017 free agency
All of a sudden, we have good young veteran core of Bledsoe/RHJ/Morris/Young/Lopez and would probably still have at least $15mil to spend on free agents. (I'm not buying that KD is coming here so I don't mind not having max space next year.) That's a good young core that could definitely make the playoffs in the East and would give Boston a non-lotto pick.

Fast forward to 2017 when the cap goes up another $17mil and we have max cap space. Look at the free agents who can be had then and we can actually speak of a good core that they can join. (I'm not including LBJ because I don't think he'd leave Cleveland again.)

Westbrook, Curry, Blake Griffin, Teague, Rose, Rudy Gay, Ibaka, and Zach Randolph.

I think we have a much better shot with attracting someone like Blake, who 1) knows Bledsoe well 2) will be seeing the end of CP3's peak, and 3) has an attraction for the big stage and media market.

At this point, it's an obvious dream but the kind of core I mentioned before is one that stars can join feeling confident that they can do some damage with especially in the East.

And who knows...maybe Hollins does teach Lopez how to really postup and Lopez becomes a bonafide top 3 center and superstar. Bledsoe is pretty underrated as it is and if he just becomes a tiny bit better as a shooter, you've got a guy who can be a top 5 PG in the league. Bledsoe/RHJ/Blake/Lopez...oh boy.

Eric Bledsoe's skills
I've written all of this and have yet to address the guy who I think can actually help become a much better team.

He attacks the paint like a bull (Westbrook-lite) and has shot 66.5% and 64.4% respectively from 0-3ft over the last two seasons. Over a 3rd of his FGs come in this range.

If you wonder, "Well, can't the defense just shut the paint down?"
I'd say back, "What do you think teams have tried to do against him? They're just unsuccessful because he has an extremely quick first step and his ISO game is actually very good. He blows by defenders regularly in ISO situations."

Check his FA scouting video from 2014-2014:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VohhomZgwMw[/youtube]

You know how I harped on Delon Wright and his defense? Well, just imagine a guy who's already succeeded as an NBA star and who plays very good, underrated defense at the NBA level already. Watch him stay in front of Russell freakin Westbrook and actually cause him trouble:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn7K_D3vMT0[/youtube]

And the funny thing is that he actually has potential to become an even better defender. He's 6'1.5" and has a 6'8" wingspan.

More videos:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2A3WEuE6gw[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUo3mHjHfSE[/youtube]

This post is already long enough and I'm sure you get the picture.

What's the likelihood of us getting Bledsoe? Low.

But I don't think it should discourage us from trying especially considering that he or DMC could very well be the next star players to ask out of their current situations.
Net Sentence
Veteran
And1: 334

Post#69 » by Net Sentence » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:09 am

NyCeEvO wrote:The more I think about it and the more tape I watch, I think we really should try to target Eric Bledsoe.

2016 FA class isn't as good as we thought
The much heralded potential 2016 free agent class has lost a ton of its wow factor. The Bleacher Report actually did a solid job detailing how everyone thought players would go for 1+1 deals like LBJ. Instead it turned out that a lot of guys took long contracts. This means that in the year of the major cap spike, almost every team will have money to spend but there will be very few quality players to spend it on.

Outside of Kevin Durant, the only all-stars are Mike Conley and Al Horford.

Conley will be 28 this upcoming season and 29 by the start of the 2016 season.
Horford just turned 29 and will be 30 by the start of the 2016 season.

Do we want to go through the high salary, low impact scenario again?
Neither player is "old" in basketball years but the question is "Do you really want to give guys who are turning 30 4yr deals worth 80+mil?" If guys like Millsap are getting 4yr/$80mil in the pre-cap spike era, what will Conley and Horford get when the cap does increase? I kinda shudder at the thought.

And if we miss out on those guys, we have to overpay worse players just to meet the salary floor.

Who wants to offer Nic Batum 4yr/75mil?
How about an 3yr/$60mil contract to a breaking down Joakim Noah?
4yr/90mil for Eric Gordon?

In order to meet the salary floor next season, we have to have a total team salary of 90% of the cap. Current projections have the cap around $89-90mil and so that means we need to reach about $81mil in team salary. While a number of players have POs and Karasev has a TO, we're probably looking at some $40-45mil in cap space and $30-$35mil to reach the salary cap floor.

I don't want to use it on guys who are close to or already turning 30, or players who don't have a good impact. Signing big "name" players to huge, long-term contracts is exactly what got us into this mess. Now it seems like the organization has finally realized that being a luxury tax spender doesn't mean that you will automatically become a winning franchise.

I'd prefer to trade for a player who has a good deal under a pre-cap increase contract, so that it becomes a great deal under the new salary cap.

Why trading for a disgruntled star is actually realistic
As I've said a few times before, I believe the best chance for the Nets to acquire legit talent is for said talent to request a trade and force a trade to the Nets.

This might seem outlandish but it has happened before with Dwight. We all know what happened so there's no need to re-hash the details but disgruntled stars requesting out is something that has happened plenty of times before and still happens today.

Melo to NY...Dwight to BK LA...CP3 to LAL LAC...Love to CLE...Dragic to MIA

Every season a new star player is requesting a trade and oftentimes the writing is on the wall before it actually happens. And this is exactly the case with Bledsoe.

Bledsoe's frustration and possible destinations
It's well known that both Dragic and Bledsoe disliked the 3 PG experiment. And just when Bledsoe thought that he'd finally be the guy in Phoenix after the Dragic trade, in comes another PG (Brandon Knight) to continue this multi-PG system.

Eric Bledsoe is represented by LeBron's agent group, CAA. We know how much power they wield within the league. If Bledsoe is truly unhappy with the situation and he wants out, you better believe his agency is going to be naming teams he'd prefer to be traded to and you can expect the big city teams in need of a PG will be the first ones one the list.

LAL? Well wait...they just drafted a 19yo PG they believe could be a stud and an eventual successor to Kobe. While LAL would probably hesitate and think about it, the fact that they already have two young good guards on rookie deals may keep them from doing it before the season starts.

SAC?...well they just (foolishly IMO) gave away their draft considerations for the next two years and they don't even have a sizable expiring contract to offer in return for Bledsoe if they seriously believe they're a contender for free agents in the offseason.

CHI?...I don't think PHX will be excited to take on Rose and his issues and if Chicago doesn't trade Rose, Bledsoe is right back in the same multi-PG situation he had in PHX.

MIA?...just signed Dragic. Nope.

NYK?...Yeah, I could see them trading Grant for Bledsoe but who knows if Bledsoe really want to give the triangle a shot. (I don't buy that the triangle is really a system players want are actively trying to avoid. I think it's just an easy excuse to give for players who don't want to wait for the Knicks to finish rebuilding.)

The only big market team left? BKN.

Incentive for PHX to do a trade
Take note of this...PHX also has their own pick in 2016 and with known penny pincher Bob Sarver as owner, I'm sure they wouldn't mind saving more money for the future and tanking this season under the guise of preparing for the future and signing big FAs. Hey, this is exactly what NYK did this season but PHX was actually able to get Aldridge to seriously consider signing there. Maybe this offseason boosts their confidence heading into next offseason and they believe that they can sign multiple big time FAs to pair with their high 2016 draft pick, Knight, and a solid vet like Chandler.

Injury concern isn't that big of an issue anymore
Some of you may be wary of Bledsoe's injury history but I look at him just like a view Westbrook.

WB had 3 surgeries on the same knee and look at he's bounced back. He put up an MVP caliber season.
Look at D-Rose with his multiple serious knee injuries. He's came back and had a solid postseason run. His athleticism isn't what kept him back from playing well (that was his shooting).
Eric Bledsoe has had knee surgery and he played 81 games last season. I don't know how much more he can show that he's healthy.

While each player's body is different, given the way that some of the most explosive PGs that have ever graced a basketball court have come back and have been just as dominant and athletic as ever gives me confidence that Bledsoe can remain healthy. And even if he did have another injury, knee surgery has almost become a routine procedure for NBA guys now.

What it could take to get Bledsoe
Everyone knows we lack assets but I think there is a realistic way where we can come up with a somewhat appealing offer if Bledsoe actually wants out.

— PHX has made it clear that they want to get rid of Markieff Morris. You may not love his contract but a guy making $8mil per season is the new trade filler contract. I'd take him on if it means being able to giving PHX an incentive to deal Bledsoe.

He's the better of the two Morris brothers and he's actually a decent defender and scorer. His mid-range game is surprisingly good. The highest % of his FG came from the 10-16ft range (24.6% of them) and he shot 50.2% in that range and shoots 61.1FG% in the 0-3ft range. For $8mil/season, I'll take that.

— The proposed deal would be JJ/Karasev for Bledsoe/Markieff.

Again, the only way I can see PHX considering this deal is if Bledsoe asks out. If he does, that increases our leverage.
If we take on Markieff, that gives PHX more incentive although I'm sure other teams would offer to do the same.
If PHX and Sarver would actually consider the tank and splurge for 2016, then our offer might actually appeal to them since JJ is an expiring and Karasev is a TO. They can save a ton of money heading in 2016 FA and have a high draft pick to pair with Knight for the future. They could also play up the "Bringing JJ home" narrative like other teams have done for players who've left teams and come back years later. I can see it as a win-win for both teams.

Now back to us....

How to approach 2016 & 2017 free agency
All of a sudden, we have good young veteran core of Bledsoe/RHJ/Morris/Young/Lopez and would probably still have at least $15mil to spend on free agents. (I'm not buying that KD is coming here so I don't mind not having max space next year.) That's a good young core that could definitely make the playoffs in the East and would give Boston a non-lotto pick.

Fast forward to 2017 when the cap goes up another $17mil and we have max cap space. Look at the free agents who can be had then and we can actually speak of a good core that they can join. (I'm not including LBJ because I don't think he'd leave Cleveland again.)

Westbrook, Curry, Blake Griffin, Teague, Rose, Rudy Gay, Ibaka, and Zach Randolph.

I think we have a much better shot with attracting someone like Blake, who 1) knows Bledsoe well 2) will be seeing the end of CP3's peak, and 3) has an attraction for the big stage and media market.

At this point, it's an obvious dream but the kind of core I mentioned before is one that stars can join feeling confident that they can do some damage with especially in the East.

And who knows...maybe Hollins does teach Lopez how to really postup and Lopez becomes a bonafide top 3 center and superstar. Bledsoe is pretty underrated as it is and if he just becomes a tiny bit better as a shooter, you've got a guy who can be a top 5 PG in the league. Bledsoe/RHJ/Blake/Lopez...oh boy.

Eric Bledsoe's skills
I've written all of this and have yet to address the guy who I think can actually help become a much better team.

He attacks the paint like a bull (Westbrook-lite) and has shot 66.5% and 64.4% respectively from 0-3ft over the last two seasons. Over a 3rd of his FGs come in this range.

If you wonder, "Well, can't the defense just shut the paint down?"
I'd say back, "What do you think teams have tried to do against him? They're just unsuccessful because he has an extremely quick first step and his ISO game is actually very good. He blows by defenders regularly in ISO situations."

Check his FA scouting video from 2014-2014:

You know how I harped on Delon Wright and his defense? Well, just imagine a guy who's already succeeded as an NBA star and who plays very good, underrated defense at the NBA level already. Watch him stay in front of Russell freakin Westbrook and actually cause him trouble:

And the funny thing is that he actually has potential to become an even better defender. He's 6'1.5" and has a 6'8" wingspan.

More videos:

This post is already long enough and I'm sure you get the picture.

What's the likelihood of us getting Bledsoe? Low.

But I don't think it should discourage us from trying especially considering that he or DMC could very well be the next star players to ask out of their current situations.

I would love to get Bledsoe. You have to look at the age of guys like you said. I dont want to get a guy on the back end of his career and have to redue the whole FA merry go round again. I want a guy like Bledsoe who is just getting into the best years of his career.

I dont think they would take JJ for him though. We dont really have the right assets for him. It's too bad we couldnt have did a sign and trade with Mirza to make it happen.
Net Sentence
Veteran

Post#70 » by Net Sentence » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:13 am

I think we just found a PG.

Denver is going to waive Prigioni. Problem solved.
Shark
Lead Assistant
And1: 980

Post#71 » by Shark » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:21 am

Meh, not a bit fan of Prigioni. He's another guy that's best as a backup and we've already have plenty of those.
Universe
Sixth Man
And1: 120

Post#72 » by Universe » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:23 am

Net Sentence wrote:I think we just found a PG.

Always liked Pablo and would make a lot of sense if we were bringing our Pablo over, but don't see it happening. Probably end up signing with the Spurs as an insurance policy.
Net Sentence
Veteran

Post#73 » by Net Sentence » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:35 am

Universe wrote:

Always liked Pablo and would make a lot of sense if we were bringing our Pablo over, but don't see it happening. Probably end up signing with the Spurs as an insurance policy.

He has to go through waivers first. We could use a trade exception for him. If we want him all we have to do is claim him. The only thing that could block us is a team with a worse record claiming him first.
Net Sentence
Veteran

Post#74 » by Net Sentence » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:47 am

Pablo would be perfect for us. He is at the point in his career where he wont expect big minutes. He is great at forcing turnovers and he is a career 39.8% 3pt shooter. He makes too much sense.

Throw out a lineup of:

Bargnani
Thad: Steals/36 = 1.7
RHJ: You know he is going to be a steal machine
Markel: Steals/36 = 1.4
Pablo: Steals/36 = 2.4

That is a seriously disruptive lineup. Throw Bargnani out there to add a shooter on the floor.
Universe
Sixth Man
And1: 120

Post#75 » by Universe » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:04 am

Net Sentence wrote:
Universe wrote:

He has to go through waivers first. We could use a trade exception for him. If we want him all we have to do is claim him. The only thing that could block us is a team with a worse record claiming him first.

Not sure how his salary would impact our tax situation. His guarantee contract is decided on Monday.
Net Sentence
Veteran

Post#76 » by Net Sentence » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:28 am

Universe wrote:
Net Sentence wrote:
Universe wrote:

Not sure how his salary would impact our tax situation. His guarantee contract is decided on Monday.

We would have to dump someone by the trade deadline. Not really an issue
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#77 » by NyCeEvO » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:32 am

It's sad but I'm pretty sure you're right.
Net Sentence
Veteran

Post#78 » by Net Sentence » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:35 am

NyCeEvO wrote:

I like the idea of getting Prigioni. He wont expect big minutes and he is a solid defender at PG. Prigioni is very good at forcing turnovers just like Thad and RHJ.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#79 » by NyCeEvO » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:58 am

Net Sentence wrote:I would love to get Bledsoe. You have to look at the age of guys like you said. I dont want to get a guy on the back end of his career and have to redue the whole FA merry go round again. I want a guy like Bledsoe who is just getting into the best years of his career.

I dont think they would take JJ for him though. We dont really have the right assets for him. It's too bad we couldnt have did a sign and trade with Mirza to make it happen.

The first domino in order for anything to take place would be Bledsoe and his agent officially coming out saying they want out. I don't think the reports about him not being happy about his position are false. There were rumors that Dragic was unhappy and then he came out and just said that there was no way he was coming back to PHX. Dragic obviously had more leverage than Bledsoe has because Dragic was a free agent but you don't want a powerful agent threatening to discourage clients from going to your team because of how they treated an earlier player.

If Bledsoe doesn't say anything formally, the ball never gets rolling. If he does, then the game starts. If he's got a list and we're on it, even better. That's when it gets down to who can make the best offer and who does PHX prefer to deal with.

There is always a preference to deal players out of conference so we have that working in our favor as a small but not unimportant asset.

The second is that all of the major markets already have a star PG in place or have just acquired their PG for the future. Some teams who drafted a PG may be willing to deal him for Bledsoe because they want to win now. If that's the case and PHX really wants to continue this multi-PG system, then we're probably beat. But if they don't want to trade for Bledsoe because they already have PGs on cheap rookie contracts that vaults us up pretty far.

The third and probably most important aspect is whether Phoenix wants to salary dump for 2016 FA or not. If they don't, we're definitely out. But if they do, we've got JJ's golden expiring contract.

I do think Knight, Devin Booker, high draft pick, Chandler and loads of cap space is a decent set of rebuilding assets but I'm not Phoenix and I don't know what they actually want. JJ the contract would be way more valuable than JJ the player in this scenario. It all depends whether this appeals to the Suns.

Even if we take Markieff Morris, I can easily see the Suns asking for RHJ and that's when I become really hesitant. I like RHJ. He can be a solid defender from day 1. But Bledsoe is an underrated PG who easily has the tools to become dominant.

Some people have an aversion to scoring guards but name me the last championship that won with a pure PG. SAS passing system, not a single player, is what won them the title. If we can have a team that passes well, I don't mind Bledsoe only being an above-average and not excellent passer. You need players who can draw fouls consistently in the playoffs and Bledsoe does so at a high level and knows how to finish around the basket. He's an attacker who also plays good defense and if he works on his 3pt shooting, his game goes to another level.

On the Mirza S&T note, it wouldn't be enough salary wise to do the deal. JJ's also a much better player than Mirza and has an expiring contract. I think Phoenix would find JJ way more valuable than Mirza even if they could S&T for him.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#80 » by NyCeEvO » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:59 am

Net Sentence wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:

I like the idea of getting Prigioni. He wont expect big minutes and he is a solid defender at PG. Prigioni is very good at forcing turnovers just like Thad and RHJ.

I like Prigs. I really do.

He's a savvy, heady vet who knows how to play the game. Knicks fans ragged on him but his BBIQ is rather high although sometimes he tries too hard to do something crazy and ends up making a silly turnover.

Other than that, he's solid.

I just don't like the fact that our PG rotation would be Jack, Larkin, and Prigs.

Return to Brooklyn Nets