ImageImageImageImageImage

The 15-16' Nets Point Guard Platoon of Doom Thread

jbeachboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 359

Re: The 15-16' Nets Point Guard Platoon of Doom Thread 

Post#41 » by jbeachboy » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:27 pm

jack looked really good in preseason last year but became really selfish in regular season , is this the first time he has ever been starter from training camp?
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach

Post#42 » by jbeachboy » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:28 pm

jack looked really good in preseason last year but became really selfish in regular season , is this the first time he has ever been starter from training camp?
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: The 15-16' Nets Point Guard Platoon Thread 

Post#43 » by Prokorov » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:12 pm

jbeachboy wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
jbeachboy wrote:

not too high on ex knicks players? , i think they will do better in reserve role with less pressure

less pressure? they were on a team last season whose goal was to lose.

did larkin and bargnani start for knicks? how many minutes did they play? their roles are less here though and expectations are lowered

having lower expectations doesnt make you a better player. it may limit how much you hurt the team, but thats about it.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#44 » by Prokorov » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:15 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:When you have 3 D tier players at one position, that is a platoon.

i think a platoon is a situation where 2 or 3 guys all get similar minutes at the same spot. i dont see that being the case.

i see jack playing 32-36 minutes a night. with larkin or sloaning backing him up and the other racking up CD-DNPs

you are right as far as quality though. its not just starting pg thats an issue, our backup pgs are bad too. so thats 48 minutes of sub-par to bad PG play. that doesnt bode well
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,852

Post#45 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:14 pm

Jack and Sloan are D-Tier, honestly Larkin is F Tier til proven otherwise.

Who knows how things will play out during the season. If our defense on the perimeter is as horrible as I believe it to be the best defensive guard may end up playing the most. Sloan imo could mess around and become the starter.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#46 » by Prokorov » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:37 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Jack and Sloan are D-Tier, honestly Larkin is F Tier til proven otherwise.

Who knows how things will play out during the season. If our defense on the perimeter is as horrible as I believe it to be the best defensive guard may end up playing the most. Sloan imo could mess around and become the starter.

my gut tells me jack has 2 or 3 good games the first week before eventually evening out to what he is and plays like trash, at which point billy king makes a trade for another PG
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#47 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:44 pm

Jack is a defensive sieve and he makes really poor decisions defensively that can become costly. I'm pretty certain King has his eyes open for any potential deals.

jbeachboy
Assistant Coach

Post#48 » by jbeachboy » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:33 pm

what trades are going to be available during the first few months for a point guard? they will give sloan and larkin a chance at starting before they do any trades
TroubleS0me
Head Coach
And1: 5,192

Post#49 » by TroubleS0me » Thu Oct 1, 2015 3:48 am

“I will say in that way that we have a great leader at point guard in Jarrett Jack,” Prokhorov said. “All the league knows what Jarrett is about.”

http://nypost.com/2015/09/30/mikhail-prokhorov-wont-even-talk-about-deron-williams/
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#50 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Oct 1, 2015 10:44 am

TroubleS0me wrote:
“I will say in that way that we have a great leader at point guard in Jarrett Jack,” Prokhorov said. “All the league knows what Jarrett is about.”

http://nypost.com/2015/09/30/mikhail-prokhorov-wont-even-talk-about-deron-williams/

If someone stole your money, I doubt you'd want to talk about them either.

Prokorov
RealGM

Post#51 » by Prokorov » Thu Oct 1, 2015 10:36 pm

jbeachboy wrote:what trades are going to be available during the first few months for a point guard? they will give sloan and larkin a chance at starting before they do any trades

there are always guys who become available. who thought MCW or Knight were going to be traded?

sloan and larkin are low level backups. if they have to play big minutes we are in a world of trouble.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#52 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Oct 2, 2015 12:41 am

Then we're in trouble, because one of them is going to play a lot

SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#53 » by SpeedyG » Fri Oct 2, 2015 5:49 pm

Prokorov wrote:
SIC wrote:I wanted BKing to draft a PG in past draft.

I would be saying the same thing if we had gotten Wright or Grant. I would be saying the same thing if we got Jones, Rozier and even Joseph Young.

The bottomline is Nets IMO would have had to take a chance on those options too because Jack is just NOT the answer.

The only positive with Larkin is he has NBA experience where the rookies would not have had. Even though the experience hasnt been great for Larkin it is still MORE than what a rookie PG would have had and I would be calling for him to start TOO. There is no reason to baby any of these young guys. If we are going to lose games, might as well be with the young guys and have them figure things out among themselves.

Anyway BKing and Hollins wants Lopez to be a LEADER then send out the young guys with him and have him lead.

Give Lopez Larkin, bogs and RHJ and let him guide these guys to what HE wants them to be instead of having Jack and JJ on the court where Lopez can automatically defer.

Larkin, Bogs, RHJ, Thad, Lopez let them figure it out. I can see a lot of running with this squad with the way larkin, Bogs, RHJ and thad likes to cut off passing lanes to help out the PnR Game of Larkin, Lopez and Thad. I would even run some PnR with RHJ in some possessions to get RHJ involved in the offenses by attacking the basket and dishing it off to Bogs, Thad and Lopez for jumpers.

Jack, Brown, JJ, TRob, Barg can be the second unit. They would be playing against weaker second units and would be able to put up A LOT of points to help whatever the Starting lineup lacks.

i dont think you can make someone a leader. leaders are born not taught or molded. we can want lopez to be a leader, but thats not who he is. and even if he was the GOAT leader, that doesnt make him a miracle worker who can turn scrubs into players. that isnt how it works

our best bet on offense is to put our best shooters around lopez and run as many JJ/Brook pick and rolls as we can

This is simply not true. You have people who have a natural charisma to them that attracts others (see Tebow, Tim), but charisma alone does not make one a leader.

Jason Kidd does not fit your traditional "leader" mold, yet he's looked at as one everywhere he goes even in a team with elite players like Kobe, Lebron and Wade.

The same thing with Tim Duncan, who is every bit as quiet and reserved as Lopez.

Grant Hill wasn't vocal either.

Being loud and rah-rah does not make a leader.

A leader leads by example. A leader holds people, including himself, accountable. A leader has to be smart enough to know he's not always right and listens to others. There are many traits that a leader possesses that makes them a good/great leader. Many of which are learned and developed.
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#54 » by Prokorov » Fri Oct 2, 2015 7:25 pm

SpeedyG wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
SIC wrote:I wanted BKing to draft a PG in past draft.

I would be saying the same thing if we had gotten Wright or Grant. I would be saying the same thing if we got Jones, Rozier and even Joseph Young.

The bottomline is Nets IMO would have had to take a chance on those options too because Jack is just NOT the answer.

The only positive with Larkin is he has NBA experience where the rookies would not have had. Even though the experience hasnt been great for Larkin it is still MORE than what a rookie PG would have had and I would be calling for him to start TOO. There is no reason to baby any of these young guys. If we are going to lose games, might as well be with the young guys and have them figure things out among themselves.

Anyway BKing and Hollins wants Lopez to be a LEADER then send out the young guys with him and have him lead.

Give Lopez Larkin, bogs and RHJ and let him guide these guys to what HE wants them to be instead of having Jack and JJ on the court where Lopez can automatically defer.

Larkin, Bogs, RHJ, Thad, Lopez let them figure it out. I can see a lot of running with this squad with the way larkin, Bogs, RHJ and thad likes to cut off passing lanes to help out the PnR Game of Larkin, Lopez and Thad. I would even run some PnR with RHJ in some possessions to get RHJ involved in the offenses by attacking the basket and dishing it off to Bogs, Thad and Lopez for jumpers.

Jack, Brown, JJ, TRob, Barg can be the second unit. They would be playing against weaker second units and would be able to put up A LOT of points to help whatever the Starting lineup lacks.

i dont think you can make someone a leader. leaders are born not taught or molded. we can want lopez to be a leader, but thats not who he is. and even if he was the GOAT leader, that doesnt make him a miracle worker who can turn scrubs into players. that isnt how it works

our best bet on offense is to put our best shooters around lopez and run as many JJ/Brook pick and rolls as we can

This is simply not true. You have people who have a natural charisma to them that attracts others (see Tebow, Tim), but charisma alone does not make one a leader.

Jason Kidd does not fit your traditional "leader" mold, yet he's looked at as one everywhere he goes even in a team with elite players like Kobe, Lebron and Wade.

The same thing with Tim Duncan, who is every bit as quiet and reserved as Lopez.

Grant Hill wasn't vocal either.

Being loud and rah-rah does not make a leader.

A leader leads by example. A leader holds people, including himself, accountable. A leader has to be smart enough to know he's not always right and listens to others. There are many traits that a leader possesses that makes them a good/great leader. Many of which are learned and developed.

those thigns are still traits you are born with. not just the rah rah stuff.
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach

Post#55 » by jbeachboy » Fri Oct 2, 2015 10:19 pm

shane larkin and donald sloan , did anyone watch them play the past few years? can they run an offense or pass well? are they awful on defense?
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Post#56 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sat Oct 3, 2015 4:27 am

This is the worst PG situation for the Nets in recent memory. God awful.

Whoever starts, we lose. I'm just writing this position off. I hope Jack can play at close to a decent level.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#57 » by Prokorov » Sat Oct 3, 2015 2:20 pm

jbeachboy wrote:shane larkin and donald sloan , did anyone watch them play the past few years? can they run an offense or pass well? are they awful on defense?

Larkin averaged:
34.5 minutes per game
6 points
3 assists
30.5 3pt%
50.4 TS%
-1.79 defensive RAPM(really bad,54th among nba point gaurds)

Larkin as a starter (22 games):
30 minutes per game
6 ppg
4 apg
22.6 3pt%
45.3 TS%

Sloan Averaged:
21 minutes per game
7.4 points
3.6 assists
31.3 3pt%
50.3 TS%
-1.28 Defensive RAPM(48th among pgs)

Sloan as a starter(21 games):
31 minutes per game
11 points
5 assists
31.5 3pt%
48.2 TS%

pretty similar both overall and as starters last season. both really shot poorly and did not defend very well.

as far as eyeball test, i didnt see much of sloan. larkin looked woeful

Return to Brooklyn Nets