ImageImageImageImageImage

Media Day & Training Camp Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,847

Re: Media Day & Training Camp Thread 

Post#61 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Oct 2, 2015 3:38 pm

the mix of talent has always been bad. I just don't think Deron did much last year that says the team will lose 10 more games because he isn't here.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#62 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Oct 2, 2015 3:56 pm

I really hate how the NBA handles their preseason games. NHL, NFL, MLB all televise preseason stuff the NBA can't be bothered.

jbeachboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 359

Post#63 » by jbeachboy » Fri Oct 2, 2015 6:07 pm

Asked #Nets GM Billy King what has stood out to him most through camp so far. He said: "Probably (that) nobody can guard Brook."

Markel Brown suggested his strained left oblique will keep him out for a while. Said he's hopeful he'll be back for Oct. 28 season opener.

No practice for Markel and Willie Reed today. Both are currently standing on the side watching the scrimmaging.
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#64 » by kamaze » Fri Oct 2, 2015 7:07 pm

jbeachboy wrote:Asked #Nets GM Billy King what has stood out to him most through camp so far. He said: "Probably (that) nobody can guard Brook."

Markel Brown suggested his strained left oblique will keep him out for a while. Said he's hopeful he'll be back for Oct. 28 season opener.

No practice for Markel and Willie Reed today. Both are currently standing on the side watching the scrimmaging.

Thanks for the info any word on the other non-guaranteed centers?
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#65 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Oct 2, 2015 8:25 pm

Not good for either player. If you can't practice you won't get into the rotation.

Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Re: RE: Re: Media Day & Training Camp Thread 

Post#66 » by Paradise » Fri Oct 2, 2015 8:28 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:I really hate how the NBA handles their preseason games. NHL, NFL, MLB all televise preseason stuff the NBA can't be bothered.

Yeah, I don't get that either. I just found out the Nuggets/Clippers are playing tonight.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#67 » by Prokorov » Fri Oct 2, 2015 8:30 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:the mix of talent has always been bad. I just don't think Deron did much last year that says the team will lose 10 more games because he isn't here.

the drop off from deron to scrub backups is pretty bad. larkin is really bad. i hate dwill as much as anyone, but he is a big upgrade to larkin. also think losing anderson hurts, and we just have a lot of new faces in general. most of all a team starting jack isnt likely to win alot of games. offensively its going to be real ugly at times. defensively its always going to be ugly
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#68 » by Prokorov » Fri Oct 2, 2015 8:31 pm

jbeachboy wrote:Asked #Nets GM Billy King what has stood out to him most through camp so far. He said: "Probably (that) nobody can guard Brook."

Good news: brook is beasting

bad news: we dont have a big on the roster that can play a lick of defense
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach

Post#69 » by jbeachboy » Fri Oct 2, 2015 10:04 pm

Prokorov wrote:

willie reed looked like a decent rim protector and can block some shots during summer league, bargnani is decent man to man but sucks at rotation defense, heard thomas robinson is average but gets a nice block occasionally, mccullough gets steals and blocks but is average i heard and skinny at this point
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach

Post#70 » by jbeachboy » Fri Oct 2, 2015 10:10 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:the mix of talent has always been bad. I just don't think Deron did much last year that says the team will lose 10 more games because he isn't here.

the drop off from deron to scrub backups is pretty bad. larkin is really bad. i hate dwill as much as anyone, but he is a big upgrade to larkin. also think losing anderson hurts, and we just have a lot of new faces in general. most of all a team starting jack isnt likely to win alot of games. offensively its going to be real ugly at times. defensively its always going to be ugly

glad dwill is gone, so inconsistent, injured, complaining, or some excuse. billy king and nets bent over backwards to make moves all for him and it was a disaster.

i agree that jack's defense worries me more than his passing ability. hopefully hollins puts him in the doghouse if he does that. i think larkin will do better in this system than the mavs and knicks situation due to his pick and roll style. larkin was injured mostly his rookie year and didnt get much time and he was playing in a triangle offense in that bad system so this is his make or break year. plus sloan had a career year with pacers
Paradise

Post#71 » by Paradise » Sat Oct 3, 2015 2:15 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/briskuno/status/650085458035277824[/tweet]

McCullough has now gained 16 pounds since the draft workouts in June. That's pretty damn impressive. I think his work ethic is just fine thus far. I think the Nets should hold him out for the season. Let him continue to rehab and put on weight.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#72 » by Prokorov » Sat Oct 3, 2015 2:24 pm

jbeachboy wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

willie reed looked like a decent rim protector and can block some shots during summer league, bargnani is decent man to man but sucks at rotation defense, heard thomas robinson is average but gets a nice block occasionally, mccullough gets steals and blocks but is average i heard and skinny at this point

its hard to evaluate bigs in summerleague, most roster dont even have a guy over 6'9" on it. bargani is among the worst defensive bigs in the league, and submarines any defense. robinson works hard, but has a low bbiq and seemed out of position constantly on portland, didnt see him as much in philly but maybe it improved. mccullough doesnt look to see the court much if at all this season. and was extremely lazy defensively. maybe hollins helps with that. but that was the main reason i didnt want mccullough, we had enough dogs
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#73 » by Prokorov » Sat Oct 3, 2015 2:28 pm

jbeachboy wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

glad dwill is gone, so inconsistent, injured, complaining, or some excuse. billy king and nets bent over backwards to make moves all for him and it was a disaster.

im THRILLED deron is gone. but that doesnt mean it wasnt a massive talent downgrade to larkin.

i agree that jack's defense worries me more than his passing ability. hopefully hollins puts him in the doghouse if he does that. i think larkin will do better in this system than the mavs and knicks situation due to his pick and roll style. larkin was injured mostly his rookie year and didnt get much time and he was playing in a triangle offense in that bad system so this is his make or break year. plus sloan had a career year with pacers
[/quote]

Im nt sure where this pick and roll larkin stuff game from like he is john stockton. its not like he even ran it a ton in miami, and college defense is completely different then the NBA. im also not sure how the triangle became a "bad system"

larkin has been really awful, much much worse then dwill at his worst

sloans "breakout year" wasnt really a good one. he shot poorly and didnt defend. he had a couple big games, thats about it.
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach

Post#74 » by jbeachboy » Sat Oct 3, 2015 3:44 pm

any chance the nets choose quincy miller over karasev cause they want to keep sloan as an extra point guard? they said quincy miller has been impressive in camp so far in the 4 days
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#75 » by Prokorov » Sat Oct 3, 2015 6:01 pm

jbeachboy wrote:any chance the nets choose quincy miller over karasev cause they want to keep sloan as an extra point guard? they said quincy miller has been impressive in camp so far in the 4 days

if we keep miller id think id would be over reed or robinson.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#76 » by NyCeEvO » Sat Oct 3, 2015 6:20 pm

Prokorov wrote:
jbeachboy wrote:any chance the nets choose quincy miller over karasev cause they want to keep sloan as an extra point guard? they said quincy miller has been impressive in camp so far in the 4 days

It definitely would not be over Robinson, whom King has coveted since he played at Kansas. And I highly doubt it would be over Reed considering how strong Willie has played and how much he's improved.

We have absolutely no idea what Miller is doing. We're relying upon second-hand reports that Miller is doing well.

Just like how the other site lauded Karasev for throwing a 3/4 quarter court behind the back pass as a sign of his "court vision". No context was provided at all. Did he throw it because he was falling out of bounds and he just wanted to save it? Has Karasev turned into Jason Kidd now and has eyes in the back of his head on the break?

I see 0 chance of Robinson or Reed getting cut unless they suffer a devastating injury. IMO, it would be Karasev or one of the guards getting cut.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#77 » by NyCeEvO » Sat Oct 3, 2015 6:24 pm

Paradise wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/briskuno/status/650085458035277824[/tweet]

McCullough has now gained 16 pounds since the draft workouts in June. That's pretty damn impressive. I think his work ethic is just fine thus far. I think the Nets should hold him out for the season. Let him continue to rehab and put on weight.

Putting on weight is not that impressive. Every player has an offseason regimen and plan. He's just following the plan.

Skinny players plan to add weight and overweight players plan to lose it. But the notion of "Skinny guys + muscle weight = better player" doesn't work out for most. It's rare for weight to be the deciding factor for a guy's impact in the league. It really comes down to a player's talent level and his work ethic on the court, not in the weight room.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#78 » by Prokorov » Sat Oct 3, 2015 6:25 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

It definitely would not be over Robinson, whom King has coveted since he played at Kansas. And I highly doubt it would be over Reed considering how strong Willie has played and how much he's improved.

We have absolutely no idea what Miller is doing. We're relying upon second-hand reports that Miller is doing well.

Just like how the other site lauded Karasev for throwing a 3/4 quarter court behind the back pass as a sign of his "court vision". No context was provided at all. Did he throw it because he was falling out of bounds and he just wanted to save it? Has Karasev turned into Jason Kidd now and has eyes in the back of his head on the break?

I see 0 chance of Robinson or Reed getting cut unless they suffer a devastating injury. IMO, it would be Karasev or one of the guards getting cut.

I dont think miller makes the team either. Was more making the point that if Miller does make the team it would likely have to be over reed or robinson or i guess bargs. i dont see us carrying 7 bigs and brook/thad/mccullough arent going anywhere.
Paradise

Re: RE: Re: Media Day & Training Camp Thread 

Post#79 » by Paradise » Sat Oct 3, 2015 6:40 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:
Paradise wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/briskuno/status/650085458035277824[/tweet]

Putting on weight is not that impressive. Every player has an offseason regimen and plan. He's just following the plan.

Skinny players plan to add weight and overweight players plan to lose it. But the notion of "Skinny guys + muscle weight = better player" doesn't work out for most. It's rare for weight to be the deciding factor for a guy's impact in the league. It really comes down to a player's talent level and his work ethic on the court, not in the weight room.

Have you ever seen a big man weigh 199 pounds and successfully guard or score on established NBA talent?

The biggest knock on McCullough coming out of the combine was his weight and size. Adding 16 pounds of muscle and counting in only 3 months with no on-court workouts isn't some ho-hum thing. The first step to work ethic is improving your body. Not every prospect is committed to that.
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach

Post#80 » by jbeachboy » Sat Oct 3, 2015 6:47 pm

bargs and thomas robinson are locks due to guaranteed deals, willie reed is also a lock according to netincome who is covering the nets

Return to Brooklyn Nets