ImageImageImageImageImage

PG: Hollins, Johnson & bench lead us to the loss

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,847

Re: PG: Hollins, Johnson & bench lead us to the loss 

Post#101 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Nov 5, 2015 3:41 pm

I try to be fair with Hollins because the team is full of D/F tier players. BUT, when you make decisions in games that are competitive to ruin your team's chances of winning, I don't care who you are you have to take blame for this. Case in point:

Hollins may be coaching an unfinished product of a rebuilding roster in a "bridge year," but his decision-making was particularly puzzling in the Brooklyn Nets’ 101-87 loss to the Atlanta Hawks on Wednesday night.

Especially odd was Hollins’ decision to play rookie defensive sparkplug Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, who was a plus-13 and recorded three steals during his time on the court, for just 11 minutes, including three minutes in the second half. This came after Hollins played Hollis-Jefferson for only four minutes in Monday night’s loss to Milwaukee.
NBA coaches aren’t in the business of losing games. So Hollins, 62, is going to play the guys he believes give his team the best chance to win, even if those decisions run counter to those supported by the advanced statistics.

For example, in RHJ’s 79 minutes this season, the Nets are outscoring opponents by an average of 15.8 points per 100 possessions. This is not to suggest that Hollis-Jefferson should become the team’s focal point, but his impact is clearly being felt, and there’s no reason he shouldn’t be playing more than the 15 minutes he has logged over the past two games combined.
With the Nets lacking in the talent department, Hollins is supposed to make up for at least some of that in the coaching department.

So far, he hasn’t, and the results speak for themselves.

http://espn.go.com/blog/newyork/brooklyn-nets/post/_/id/23101/for-nets-to-have-a-chance-lionel-hollins-needs-to-coach-better?sf14949442=1

This crap that he is pulling with Hollis-Jefferson, the lack of FGAs for Lopez, lack of PT for Bojan, all of this is on coaching.

Rondae is a difference maker out there, plain and simple. The eye test and the stats are enough to see that you play this kid and don't look back. Whatever issue with the talking back that happened vs. Milwaukee, okay. I can swallow that (even though we needed that kid out there). Last night? No. This is beyond ridiculous. He trusts Joe and Jack and both stink to high hell. Get them OFF of the floor. Lopez/RHJ/Bojan/Thad should be playing the most minutes on the team and Lopez should be leading in FGAs and FTAs every single night. Hollins doesn't believe in metrics yet what is he watching? Johnson would be benched by now for his putrid play. They talked all summer about leadership but leadership also needs to happen on the court. you know who shows leadership on the court? Lopez, by OUTSTANDING efficiency (even tho Monroe kicked his ass the other night). RHJ with his energy and defensive intensity. those two guys are leading. Joe/Jack are not.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#102 » by CalamityX12 » Thu Nov 5, 2015 4:20 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/APOOCH/status/662298137260896256[/tweet]

Really? wtf Hollins....

or wtf guys?
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#103 » by CalamityX12 » Thu Nov 5, 2015 4:22 pm

I swear if we lose to another winless team.....
The ModFather

isekii
Sixth Man
And1: 207

Post#104 » by isekii » Thu Nov 5, 2015 4:24 pm

What the hell is wrong with Johnson? How does one regress so much in a season?
Bynum = Future Olowokandi
Prepare to be disappointed Laker Fans.
Shark
Lead Assistant
And1: 980

Post#105 » by Shark » Thu Nov 5, 2015 4:41 pm

I think the signs of regression have been present since last season.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: RE: Re: GT: Brooklyn Nets @ Atlanta Hawks - Nov 4th - 8:00pm YES 

Post#106 » by Prokorov » Thu Nov 5, 2015 4:44 pm

I'd prefer to see Sloan.

Can Sloan get some burn???

As predicited, the carousel will continue to turn... with us fans continuing to call for whoever it is that ISNT playing, because whoever is playing is highly likely not to play well. you can say go to sloan, but to be realistic, if sloan is in there he wont be much better then jack/larkin and could very possibly be worse.

i just dont get the hollins bashing. upset at the dude for not having the right 2nd or 3rd string poing gaurd on the floor. the dude is playing chess with checkers right now
Prokorov
RealGM

Re: GT: Brooklyn Nets @ Atlanta Hawks - Nov 4th - 8:00pm YES 

Post#107 » by Prokorov » Thu Nov 5, 2015 4:46 pm

Net Sentence wrote:
Paradise wrote:Everything was going well until Hollins put the entire bench in to start the 4th quarter. At what point is his dumbass rotations get called out?

He's a huge reason why we didn't win against Milwauke and a big reason why we aren't winning this.

You have to play the subs there or else our starters will run out of gas half way through the 4th

this spot on...

you know what a bad nets lineup is? any lineup without lopez on the floor. it wasnt about who was in for the 4th qtr, it was about lopez going to the bench. he played the entire 3rd quarter and doesnt have great stamina to begin with. he isnt a guy you can ride for 20+ straight minutes.

once brook was out, it didnt really matter who was on the floor. we he is out, we are super easy to defend and score on
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#108 » by Prokorov » Thu Nov 5, 2015 4:48 pm

kerry kittles wrote:Reasons we lost:
- Could not stay in front of Shroder/Teague all night
- 19 turnovers. Can't turn it over that much against a top team
- Joe's poor shooting;
- Hollin's terrible rotations
- Bench was pretty awful outside RHJ

And expanding on the last 2 points RHJ was +13 everyone else had negative +/-. Play this man more Hollins!!

i ask this in every game thread, and no one gives me an awnser.

what would your rotation be? because honestly i dont see one that works given the roster. we have a ton of below average players who are going to have to play big minutes and play them at some point.

everyone wants more RHJ, and he should play more. it is also tough to get him on the floor when you are down 10+ and need scoring/shooters on the floor
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#109 » by Prokorov » Thu Nov 5, 2015 4:50 pm

CalamityX12 wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/APOOCH/status/662298137260896256[/tweet]

Really? wtf Hollins....

or wtf guys?

33% on hollins not making it an emphasis to get him the rock
33% on brook not being aggressive enough
33% on other teams saying "we are going to make someone other then brook beat us"

last night was worlds better. brook was much more aggresive looking to score. the opportunities are there, he needs to take them
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 359

Post#110 » by jbeachboy » Thu Nov 5, 2015 5:02 pm

LONG ISLAND NETS, NEW D LEAGUE TEAM FOR NETS

The Nets will return to the D-League next season, as long speculated.

The team is expected to announce the news and the team name --the Long Island Nets-- Friday, prior to the Nets-Lakers game at Barclays, an NBA source tells NetsDaily.

Brett Yormark hinted at the news Thursday at the groundbreaking for the Coliseum renovation, saying there will be a "major announcement" Friday regarding professional basketball at the arena.

The NBA source added that the team will play its first season at Barclays Center, then move in 2017-18 to the renovated Nassau Coliseum. Mikhail Prokhorov's ONEXIM Sports and Entertainment recently closed on a deal to purchase a controlling interest in Nassau Events Center, the entity that is rehabbing the 40-year-old venue.

Although details have to be fully worked out, said the source, there is the possibility that the Long Island Nets and the Brooklyn Nets will play some double-headers at Barclays next season.

The Nets will own the Long Island Nets outright. A second source says the Nets are paying the NBA a fee of $6 million to rejoin the D-League. That's the same as the Knicks paid the NBA to set up the Westchester Knicks, who play at the Westchester County Center in White Plains, NY.

The Nets had a so-called "hybrid" affiliate D-League team for three years in Springfield, Massachusetts, but two years ago, the owners of that team, the Armor, sold out to a group of businessmen from Grand Rapids, Michigan. The Grand Rapids Drive is now a Pistons affiliate.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#111 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Nov 5, 2015 5:23 pm

Prokorov wrote:
I'd prefer to see Sloan.

As predicited, the carousel will continue to turn... with us fans continuing to call for whoever it is that ISNT playing, because whoever is playing is highly likely not to play well. you can say go to sloan, but to be realistic, if sloan is in there he wont be much better then jack/larkin and could very possibly be worse.

i just dont get the hollins bashing. upset at the dude for not having the right 2nd or 3rd string poing gaurd on the floor. the dude is playing chess with checkers right now

This is a bit unfair to bash people wanting to take a look at Sloan. We haven't really seen him play all that much. I don't think he makes much of a difference either but if he can play a bit better on both ends than jack and larkin its worth a shot to see.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#112 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Nov 5, 2015 5:35 pm

Prokorov wrote:
kerry kittles wrote:Reasons we lost:
- Could not stay in front of Shroder/Teague all night
- 19 turnovers. Can't turn it over that much against a top team
- Joe's poor shooting;
- Hollin's terrible rotations
- Bench was pretty awful outside RHJ

And expanding on the last 2 points RHJ was +13 everyone else had negative +/-. Play this man more Hollins!!

i ask this in every game thread, and no one gives me an awnser.

what would your rotation be? because honestly i dont see one that works given the roster. we have a ton of below average players who are going to have to play big minutes and play them at some point.

everyone wants more RHJ, and he should play more. it is also tough to get him on the floor when you are down 10+ and need scoring/shooters on the floor

You'd figure we wouldn't be down 10 if he played more?

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#113 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Nov 5, 2015 5:36 pm

jbeachboy wrote:LONG ISLAND NETS, NEW D LEAGUE TEAM FOR NETS

The Nets will return to the D-League next season, as long speculated.

The team is expected to announce the news and the team name --the Long Island Nets-- Friday, prior to the Nets-Lakers game at Barclays, an NBA source tells NetsDaily.

Brett Yormark hinted at the news Thursday at the groundbreaking for the Coliseum renovation, saying there will be a "major announcement" Friday regarding professional basketball at the arena.

The NBA source added that the team will play its first season at Barclays Center, then move in 2017-18 to the renovated Nassau Coliseum. Mikhail Prokhorov's ONEXIM Sports and Entertainment recently closed on a deal to purchase a controlling interest in Nassau Events Center, the entity that is rehabbing the 40-year-old venue.

Although details have to be fully worked out, said the source, there is the possibility that the Long Island Nets and the Brooklyn Nets will play some double-headers at Barclays next season.

The Nets will own the Long Island Nets outright. A second source says the Nets are paying the NBA a fee of $6 million to rejoin the D-League. That's the same as the Knicks paid the NBA to set up the Westchester Knicks, who play at the Westchester County Center in White Plains, NY.

The Nets had a so-called "hybrid" affiliate D-League team for three years in Springfield, Massachusetts, but two years ago, the owners of that team, the Armor, sold out to a group of businessmen from Grand Rapids, Michigan. The Grand Rapids Drive is now a Pistons affiliate.

Meanwhile, the D-League team will continue to play games the rest of the season at the Barclays Center.

Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Re: RE: Re: PG: Hollins, Johnson & bench lead us to the loss 

Post#114 » by Paradise » Thu Nov 5, 2015 6:16 pm

Prokorov wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/APOOCH/status/662298137260896256[/tweet]

Really? wtf Hollins....

or wtf guys?

33% on hollins not making it an emphasis to get him the rock
33% on brook not being aggressive enough
33% on other teams saying "we are going to make someone other then brook beat us"

last night was worlds better. brook was much more aggresive looking to score. the opportunities are there, he needs to take them

It has nothing to do with Brook or anybody else except Hollins. He should have never been resting Brook until the 8 minute mark while the Hawks took a 2 point lead to 8 within 3 minutes. Hollins kept Brook on the bench against the Bucks until the 30 second mark. We were down by four at that point.

Anybody with a negative impact seems to get more of a reward than the positive players on this team. This is why he got fired from Memphis.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#115 » by CalamityX12 » Thu Nov 5, 2015 6:46 pm

I will say I'm glad some fans are seeing the whole Hollins' rotation killer... the consistent sitting out X minutes straight or staying in at X mins straight really does no one any good... or else I may be the crazy one here lol

this is why guys get gased or some guys come back in the game(if) cold.

JJ n Brook are not guys you want out there for a qtr length(unless its 4th Q in big games etc..) they need their breaks and breathers more so than the others... a coach n staff needs to account for that. Stop running these guys to the ground...
The ModFather

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#116 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Nov 5, 2015 6:59 pm

I don't think asking Brook to play 75% of the 4th qtr is asking a lot.

Joe doesn't need to play, period. He's literally one of the worst players on the team right now

therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,095

Post#117 » by therealbig3 » Thu Nov 5, 2015 7:43 pm

So it turns out my preseason prediction was right: we're going to suck.

We just don't have much NBA-caliber talent, and we don't have a good coach (any coach that stubbornly refuses to acknowledge the importance of analytics isn't a good coach imo). That combination is going to lead to a sub-30 win team, plain and simple.

I'm still wondering how anyone actually thought we would compete for a playoff spot this year, when we were lucky to make the 8 seed last year with 38 wins, and we got significantly worse this year.
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 359

Post#118 » by jbeachboy » Thu Nov 5, 2015 10:53 pm

the goal this season is to let the young players play as much as possible and develop. its a lost season anyway.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Post#119 » by Hello Brooklyn » Fri Nov 6, 2015 2:32 am

therealbig3 wrote:So it turns out my preseason prediction was right: we're going to suck.

We just don't have much NBA-caliber talent, and we don't have a good coach (any coach that stubbornly refuses to acknowledge the importance of analytics isn't a good coach imo). That combination is going to lead to a sub-30 win team, plain and simple.

I'm still wondering how anyone actually thought we would compete for a playoff spot this year, when we were lucky to make the 8 seed last year with 38 wins, and we got significantly worse this year.

I don't know either man. Everyone was hyping up the rookies and undrafted player beyond belief. As if it was some achievement that King got team.

Were a bottom 5 NBA team in terms of talent.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#120 » by Prokorov » Fri Nov 6, 2015 4:55 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
I'd prefer to see Sloan.

This is a bit unfair to bash people wanting to take a look at Sloan. We haven't really seen him play all that much. I don't think he makes much of a difference either but if he can play a bit better on both ends than jack and larkin its worth a shot to see.

im not saying he shouldnt get time... and i think eventually he will. its more the thought that any of these guys can fill the role. which i dont believe is even remotly realistic

Return to Brooklyn Nets