ImageImageImageImageImage

Nets 2015 Roster Moves

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,850

Re: Nets 2015 Roster Moves 

Post#61 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:13 pm

Veg_Lasagna wrote:Raps fan here. What do you guys think of Thaddeus Young, and what do you think the Raptors would have to offer to grab him mid-season? Would a couple of later first-round draft picks and some cap space for 2017 be enough? Patrick Patterson and James Johnson expire either this season or next. I see some chatter in this thread about tanking for 2017, so perhaps Young and his long-term contract aren't as valueable to the Nets as they are to the Raps.

Picks? sure. but we want deals that expire this summer.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 359

Post#62 » by jbeachboy » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:23 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Veg_Lasagna wrote:Raps fan here. What do you guys think of Thaddeus Young, and what do you think the Raptors would have to offer to grab him mid-season? Would a couple of later first-round draft picks and some cap space for 2017 be enough? Patrick Patterson and James Johnson expire either this season or next. I see some chatter in this thread about tanking for 2017, so perhaps Young and his long-term contract aren't as valueable to the Nets as they are to the Raps.

Picks? sure. but we want deals that expire this summer.

thats awful return for nets, patrick patterson and james johnson, why would nets do that for thad?
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach

Post#63 » by jbeachboy » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:24 am

raptors draft pick will not even be good either, they will all be in 20s, rather keep thad than that offer
Net Sentence
Veteran
And1: 334

Post#64 » by Net Sentence » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:01 am

jbeachboy wrote:raptors draft pick will not even be good either, they will all be in 20s, rather keep thad than that offer

You mean you would rather keep Thad and not take on a shtty multi-year contract
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,850

Post#65 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:28 pm

jbeachboy wrote:raptors draft pick will not even be good either, they will all be in 20s, rather keep thad than that offer

if the contracts were expiring i'd do it. Getting back into the first round and extra cap space can't hurt.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#66 » by Prokorov » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:52 pm

expiring + second rounder would do it for me. just need to get out of his contract. johnson or patterson would be ideal if they expire.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#67 » by Prokorov » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:54 pm

shakendfries wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:
Veg_Lasagna wrote:Would a couple of later first-round draft picks and some cap space for 2017 be enough?

I'm pretty sure most fans would do this without thinking. Would the Nets management do it? Based on their previous foolish actions, I'd so no but I really hope I'd be wrong.

shakendfries wrote:no

You're kidding, right? Of course the Nets would take that offer.

Thad is not a difference maker for us as a team. This team is bereft of assets. Why would we reject a chance to re-stock a bare cabinet?

One doesn't simply make a trade just to make a trade. Unless you pick in the top 10, chances are you're trying to draft a role player. And 9/10 rookie role players can't make meaningful contributions until their 3rd season. It is extremely rare to draft a player who can make an immediate impact. For every RHJ, there's a TRob, Derrick Williams, and Bargnani - all of whom were top 10 picks. Ultimately, draft picks aren't extremely valuable unless they're in the upper half of the lottery, and even then, its a crapshoot. Remember Delon Wright, Terry Rozier, and Jerian Grant, the PGs everyone thought would be perfect for the Nets this season? They're trash. Would you trade Thad Young for any of those late first round picks? No, I didn't think so.

...now if Toronto had a Brazillian Kevin Durant or something, that's a different story entirely! :lol: (sarcasm)

its not "making a trade to make a trade". its making a trade to aquire some picks and clear the salary so we can offer 2 max deals in the summer

thad does nothing for us. he doesnt help us from being a terrible team this seaosn and he has no role moving forward. he is the 6th man on a good team, not a guy you build a team on
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach

Post#68 » by jbeachboy » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:40 pm

Prokorov wrote:
shakendfries wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:I'm pretty sure most fans would do this without thinking. Would the Nets management do it? Based on their previous foolish actions, I'd so no but I really hope I'd be wrong.

Thad is not a difference maker for us as a team. This team is bereft of assets. Why would we reject a chance to re-stock a bare cabinet?

One doesn't simply make a trade just to make a trade. Unless you pick in the top 10, chances are you're trying to draft a role player. And 9/10 rookie role players can't make meaningful contributions until their 3rd season. It is extremely rare to draft a player who can make an immediate impact. For every RHJ, there's a TRob, Derrick Williams, and Bargnani - all of whom were top 10 picks. Ultimately, draft picks aren't extremely valuable unless they're in the upper half of the lottery, and even then, its a crapshoot. Remember Delon Wright, Terry Rozier, and Jerian Grant, the PGs everyone thought would be perfect for the Nets this season? They're trash. Would you trade Thad Young for any of those late first round picks? No, I didn't think so.

...now if Toronto had a Brazillian Kevin Durant or something, that's a different story entirely! :lol: (sarcasm)

its not "making a trade to make a trade". its making a trade to aquire some picks and clear the salary so we can offer 2 max deals in the summer

what do people think they are going to get for thad young that is worth trading him for? thad is still a good player and is having a pretty good year. i just dont see any assets that are worth trading him for, what is best asset that the nets are going to get if they trade thad?

thad does nothing for us. he doesnt help us from being a terrible team this seaosn and he has no role moving forward. he is the 6th man on a good team, not a guy you build a team on
shakendfries
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,063

Post#69 » by shakendfries » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:02 pm

Prokorov wrote:
shakendfries wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:I'm pretty sure most fans would do this without thinking. Would the Nets management do it? Based on their previous foolish actions, I'd so no but I really hope I'd be wrong.

I think we could move Jarrett Jack for a comparable pick, and accomplish the same thing in freeing up the necessary cap space- putting the Nets in a far better position to build than they would be by giving up a much better player in Thad. Say what you want but Thad does a helluva lot more for us than Jack.
ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
shakendfries
Assistant Coach

Post#70 » by shakendfries » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:34 pm

jbeachboy wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
shakendfries wrote:

what do people think they are going to get for thad young that is worth trading him for? thad is still a good player and is having a pretty good year. i just dont see any assets that are worth trading him for, what is best asset that the nets are going to get if they trade thad?

The Utah Jazz are currently a top 3 defense in the NBA. Their frontcourt of Derrick Favors, Godon Hayward, and the Stifle Tower Rudy Gobert is one of the best young frontcourts in the Western Conference. Gobert is an excellent shot blocker and the combo of Gordon and Derrick can put up points. With Sacramento and the Pelicans floundering, the Jazz could absolutely be in the running for that 6-8 spot in the West. If they are in the playoff picture by January, they could look to make a move to improve their backcourt. The Jazz are one of the worst passing teams in the NBA- 29th in assists. However, their offensive rating is middle of the pack- 16th. Although fans will vehemently deny it, I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to move on from Dante Exum, who is out for the season with an ACL tear, if they feel they could acquire a player who could take them to the playoffs this season.

Jarrett Jack is playing like a starter right now. He's 5th in assists and is a veteran player who knows his limits on offense. If Jarrett Jack keeps it up (averaging 14pts, 7ast) the Jazz FO may feel as if their defense is good enough to keep them in games and compensate for Jack's turnovers.

Jack is not a building piece, he's a veteran player. Thad is a building piece, a young player who is still developing his game. Remember when the Nets gave up on Derrick Favors? He is balling right now. Giving up on Thad now would essentially be the asme thing. Even if the Nets feel they may be able attract 2 max contracts, moving Jack is a much better move to free up cap space than moving on Thad.
ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach

Post#71 » by jbeachboy » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:47 pm

if nets get a first round pick in 20s for jack, that would be great.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#72 » by Prokorov » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:55 pm

shakendfries wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
shakendfries wrote:

I think we could move Jarrett Jack for a comparable pick, and accomplish the same thing in freeing up the necessary cap space- putting the Nets in a far better position to build than they would be by giving up a much better player in Thad. Say what you want but Thad does a helluva lot more for us than Jack.

trading jack doesnt free up space. he is only gauranteed 500k next season. moving thad would free 12 million
shakendfries
Assistant Coach

Post#73 » by shakendfries » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:55 pm

Prokorov wrote:
shakendfries wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

trading jack doesnt free up space. he is only gauranteed 500k next season. moving thad would free 12 million

Jarrett Jack signed a 4 year / $25,200,000 contract with the Cleveland Cavaliers, including $19,400,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $6,300,000. In 2015-16, Jack will earn a base salary of $6,300,000. Jack has a cap hit of $6,300,000 while his dead money value is $6,800,000.

2016 $500,000 guaranteed, fully guaranteed if not wiaved on or before 6/30/16 [via spotrac]
ImageImage

jbeachboy
Assistant Coach

Post#74 » by jbeachboy » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:00 pm

Prokorov wrote:
shakendfries wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

it frees up 12 million but what exactly are the nets replacing thad with? why do people want to give up thad already?
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#75 » by NyCeEvO » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:37 pm

Prokorov wrote:

expiring + second rounder would do it for me. just need to get out of his contract. johnson or patterson would be ideal if they expire.

Yeah, I have no idea what people are complaining about.

We're taking on players with shorter and cheaper contracts than Thad in addition to getting a pick out of it. I just don't see where we lose in such a deal.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#76 » by NyCeEvO » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:47 pm

shakendfries wrote:Jack is not a building piece, he's a veteran player. Thad is a building piece, a young player who is still developing his game. Remember when the Nets gave up on Derrick Favors? He is balling right now. Giving up on Thad now would essentially be the asme thing. Even if the Nets feel they may be able attract 2 max contracts, moving Jack is a much better move to free up cap space than moving on Thad.

How is Thad a "building" piece? He's 27 years old and it's already his 9th season in the league. Thad is he who he is.

Derrick Favors and Gordon Hayward are 24 and 25 years old respectively and they are both in their 6th season. Rudy Gobert just turned 23 and is in his 3rd season. Each of these players is younger, better, and have way more room to improve than Thad. Also, it's the collection of talent that makes them a good group. Thad isn't like those guys at all.

You're acting like we're giving up some blooming prospect.

Cap space and picks are more important than what Thad brings to this team especially considering that there are a bunch of players who can do what he does (if not more) and are cost less.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#77 » by NyCeEvO » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:56 pm

For everyone who can't understand why acquiring a late 1st rd pick is way more than just locking you into some scrub rookie who will never pan out:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/666450938102743040[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/666451360381075456[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/666452763350560768[/tweet]

There are plenty of reasons why having picks/assets are good. As Bobby Marks has pointed out, Boston acquired Isaiah Thomas, the guy who is really the jumpstarter for their offense, for a late 1st round pick.

You guys are complaining about the value of a late first rounder but there is so much you can do with it that reducing its value to a bad rookie player completely misses the larger point.

If a team came forward and asked for Thad Young and was willing to give me shorter, cheaper contracts and a draft pick for it, I would do it without hesitation. Picks can be used to facilitate trades and can help major trades to take place. Simply being the 3rd or 4th wheel in a multi-team trade can oftentimes work very well for you because you're not giving up anything that will greatly alter your current team and yet you can walk away with assets that will help you in the short and/or long term.

We're 1-9 with Thad. Let's not act like he's some world beater.
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach

Post#78 » by jbeachboy » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:35 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:For everyone who can't understand why acquiring a late 1st rd pick is way more than just locking you into some scrub rookie who will never pan out:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/666450938102743040[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/666451360381075456[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/666452763350560768[/tweet]

There are plenty of reasons why having picks/assets are good. As Bobby Marks has pointed out, Boston acquired Isaiah Thomas, the guy who is really the jumpstarter for their offense, for a late 1st round pick.

You guys are complaining about the value of a late first rounder but there is so much you can do with it that reducing its value to a bad rookie player completely misses the larger point.

If a team came forward and asked for Thad Young and was willing to give me shorter, cheaper contracts and a draft pick for it, I would do it without hesitation. Picks can be used to facilitate trades and can help major trades to take place. Simply being the 3rd or 4th wheel in a multi-team trade can oftentimes work very well for you because you're not giving up anything that will greatly alter your current team and yet you can walk away with assets that will help you in the short and/or long term.

We're 1-9 with Thad. Let's not act like he's some world beater.

thad has been pretty good this season and he isnt even in top form yet. we arent losing because of thad. he has been very solid and efficient this year. thad would be on the bottom of list of which players the nets should trade first.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#79 » by NyCeEvO » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:28 am

jbeachboy wrote:thad has been pretty good this season and he isnt even in top form yet. we arent losing because of thad. he has been very solid and efficient this year. thad would be on the bottom of list of which players the nets should trade first.

What is Thad's top form? He's a 6th-7th man on a good team, not a 2nd or 3rd option. He's not making going to be the difference between a 15 and 25 wins for the Nets.

I agree that we aren't losing because of him but we're not winning with him either. The goal is ultimately to win games, not "try to avoid losing".

The tweets were an example of the players you can get at the trade deadline for a late 1st rd pick. Isaiah Thomas is easily better than Thad Young and he's the reason why Boston's offense doesn't suck.

I could see if Thad were a great complement to Brook on offense and that we'd lose something if we were gone but Lopez and Thad's games aren't symbiotic. If I knew I could get a 1st rd pick, flip it for a player like Thomas (or wait to be a part of another bigger trade) and then get guys who expire before Thad's deal, I do the deal with no questions asked.
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach

Post#80 » by jbeachboy » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:50 am

NyCeEvO wrote:
jbeachboy wrote:thad has been pretty good this season and he isnt even in top form yet. we arent losing because of thad. he has been very solid and efficient this year. thad would be on the bottom of list of which players the nets should trade first.

What is Thad's top form? He's a 6th-7th man on a good team, not a 2nd or 3rd option. He's not making going to be the difference between a 15 and 25 wins for the Nets.

I agree that we aren't losing because of him but we're not winning with him either. The goal is ultimately to win games, not "try to avoid losing".

The tweets were an example of the players you can get at the trade deadline for a late 1st rd pick. Isaiah Thomas is easily better than Thad Young and he's the reason why Boston's offense doesn't suck.

I could see if Thad were a great complement to Brook on offense and that we'd lose something if we were gone but Lopez and Thad's games aren't symbiotic. If I knew I could get a 1st rd pick, flip it for a player like Thomas (or wait to be a part of another bigger trade) and then get guys who expire before Thad's deal, I do the deal with no questions asked.

so we get a first round pick and end up with a short nate robinson replacing thad? who is our pf? who are you flipping the pick for?

isaih thomas doesnt get the nets anywhere either. we just get smaller with maybe some more offensive punch.

Return to Brooklyn Nets