ImageImageImageImageImage

Brooklyn Nets 2016 Draft Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: Brooklyn Nets 2016 Draft Thread 

Post#281 » by Prokorov » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:32 pm

Sabonis is so polished and such a gritty player. I'd love to see us move thad to get into the teens to draft this guy. I think he can be a taller poor mans Thad as a roookie anyhow. he has a real knack around the rim, and is a 2 way player. and moving thad frees up another 12 million. could allow us to add 3 starters instead of 2 in free agency or 2 max guys.

He has a smooth jumper, agile enough to play the 4. excellent post game. money around the rim. and most importantly, high BBIQ.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfUc0GpcGEk[/youtube]
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,247

Post#282 » by Papi_swav » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:40 pm

Prokorov wrote:Sabonis is so polished and such a gritty player. I'd love to see us move thad to get into the teens to draft this guy. I think he can be a taller poor mans Thad as a roookie anyhow. he has a real knack around the rim, and is a 2 way player. and moving thad frees up another 12 million. could allow us to add 3 starters instead of 2 in free agency or 2 max guys.

He has a smooth jumper, agile enough to play the 4. excellent post game. money around the rim. and most importantly, high BBIQ.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfUc0GpcGEk[/youtube]

lol you really love this guy huh ? I would trade Thad for him but no way I would trade Lopez for him. Can he shoot 3's at a good rate? Because if not I doubt he plays the 4 and he looks a little small for the 5. He is very crafty but I'm not too sure about his defense. He did outplay Poeltl who is projected to go top 10 but I think he goes picks 10-16
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#283 » by Prokorov » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:50 pm

Papi_swav wrote:lol you really love this guy huh ? I would trade Thad for him but no way I would trade Lopez for him. Can he shoot 3's at a good rate? Because if not I doubt he plays the 4 and he looks a little small for the 5. He is very crafty but I'm not too sure about his defense. He did outplay Poeltl who is projected to go top 10 but I think he goes picks 10-16

there are a few different questions here...

can he shoot threes? well he shot 36% but it was on just 20 attempts. he can certainly knock down the mid range jumper. Either way, thad isnt really a three point shooter anyhow. As far as size goes, it doesnt matter if he is small for a 5, he is a PF in the NBA and he has more size then thad. id agree he goes around late lottery range.

as far as trading lopez for him, you dont trade brook so you can start sabonis. if you trade brook, its with a plan to sign howard/horford/gasol/noah/whiteside/whomever... C is very deep in free agency.

In a hypothetical trade with brook, you are hopefully getting a late lotto pick, and then signing a center. kind of a 2 for 1. Sabonis would be in a PF platoon with thad, or more likely we draft a wing or PG instead of sabonis.

I'm not really down to trade brook unless we are sure we can land howard horford or whiteside. if then you get a late lotto pick for brook and just replace someone who is just as good and probably a better fit
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Post#284 » by Keith Van Horn » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:09 pm

Maybe trade Bogs for Sabonis on draft night??
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#285 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:17 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:lol you really love this guy huh ? I would trade Thad for him but no way I would trade Lopez for him. Can he shoot 3's at a good rate? Because if not I doubt he plays the 4 and he looks a little small for the 5. He is very crafty but I'm not too sure about his defense. He did outplay Poeltl who is projected to go top 10 but I think he goes picks 10-16

can he shoot threes? well he shot 36% but it was on just 20 attempts. he can certainly knock down the mid range jumper. Either way, thad isnt really a three point shooter anyhow. As far as size goes, it doesnt matter if he is small for a 5, he is a PF in the NBA and he has more size then thad. id agree he goes around late lottery range.

as far as trading lopez for him, you dont trade brook so you can start sabonis. if you trade brook, its with a plan to sign howard/horford/gasol/noah/whiteside/whomever... C is very deep in free agency.

In a hypothetical trade with brook, you are hopefully getting a late lotto pick, and then signing a center. kind of a 2 for 1. Sabonis would be in a PF platoon with thad, or more likely we draft a wing or PG instead of sabonis.

I'm not really down to trade brook unless we are sure we can land howard horford or whiteside. if then you get a late lotto pick for brook and just replace someone who is just as good and probably a better fit

Is he athletic enough to be a 4 in today's NBA though? He's a little landlocked and vertically challenged. I think height and size is even a little overrated at the 5 these days, he has more of a center's game, or even a hybrid 4/5 game that could revolutionize the center position in the NBA in a sense. I'm not saying he's necessarily that good to do so, but has that type of skill set.

He is pretty damn mobile and light a foot, but IDK. I view him as more of a just about properly sized center.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#286 » by Papi_swav » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:18 pm

Prokorov wrote:

He is bugger than Thad but is he fast enough to keep up with other 4's like Thad ? i know Thad doesn't shoot 3's well but most 4's around the league can, if he shot 36% from 3 than I can see him developing a respectable shot

He's not a shot blocker and I think he may be a little to slow for the 4, I see him as a small ball 5 or coming off the bench. He can start if he have a good defender next to him like Ibaka etc...

I don't really want any of these centers to be honest . Gasol is old as dirt, Noah injury prone and decline, hell no to Dwight, we can just sign horford and put him next to brook, I like whiteside but idk don't think he really moves the needle. I mean he's not even starting with bosh out and he only plays like 25 mins a game, he is immature still , idk he has some red flags and I'm not sure you give a guy like that 20 million. Don't forget that all these guys will get over 20 mill besides maybe Noah and gasol.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#287 » by Prokorov » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:27 pm

Papi_swav wrote:He is bugger than Thad but is he fast enough to keep up with other 4's like Thad ? i know Thad doesn't shoot 3's well but most 4's around the league can, if he shot 36% from 3 than I can see him developing a respectable shot

Thad doesnt really keep up with 4's and is a pretty bad defender. he also gets bullied by strong 4s as well. so i wouldnt really be concerned at all on the defensive end

I don't really want any of these centers to be honest . Gasol is old as dirt, Noah injury prone and decline, hell no to Dwight, we can just sign horford and put him next to brook, I like whiteside but idk don't think he really moves the needle. I mean he's not even starting with bosh out and he only plays like 25 mins a game, he is immature still , idk he has some red flags and I'm not sure you give a guy like that 20 million. Don't forget that all these guys will get over 20 mill besides maybe Noah and gasol.

lopez has plenty of his own concerns. i think dwight and horford are clearly better players. i think gasol is better but older, agree on that. whiteside probably isnt as good but his game fitting more what you need to win to me trumps whatever the talent disparity is.

either way, even if you dont like those guys as much, you can have one of them and a lotto pick or just lopez. why not take one of them plus the lotto pick? this of course assume confidence is signing one of those guys
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#288 » by Prokorov » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:29 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

Is he athletic enough to be a 4 in today's NBA though? He's a little landlocked and vertically challenged. I think height and size is even a little overrated at the 5 these days, he has more of a center's game, or even a hybrid 4/5 game that could revolutionize the center position in the NBA in a sense. I'm not saying he's necessarily that good to do so, but has that type of skill set.

He is pretty damn mobile and light a foot, but IDK. I view him as more of a just about properly sized center.

i think he is mobile enough to play the 4. i mean you look at dudes like kaminsky, zeller, Montiejunas, aldridge all get by. i dont think he is any less mobile then those guys. maybe he is more of a 4/5 hybrid, either way he is a guy i want on my team. i think he has a pretty decent ceiling for a late lotto/mid teens pick as well.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#289 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:30 pm

Prokorov wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

i think he is mobile enough to play the 4. i mean you look at dudes like kaminsky, zeller, Montiejunas, aldridge all get by. i dont think he is any less mobile then those guys. maybe he is more of a 4/5 hybrid, either way he is a guy i want on my team. i think he has a pretty decent ceiling for a late lotto/mid teens pick as well.

Aldridge is incredibly mobile, in fact one of the most mobile 4's in the game.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#290 » by Prokorov » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:52 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:Is he athletic enough to be a 4 in today's NBA though? He's a little landlocked and vertically challenged. I think height and size is even a little overrated at the 5 these days, he has more of a center's game, or even a hybrid 4/5 game that could revolutionize the center position in the NBA in a sense. I'm not saying he's necessarily that good to do so, but has that type of skill set.

Aldridge is incredibly mobile, in fact one of the most mobile 4's in the game.

you think? I mean for a 5 i think he's mobile. for a 4 he doesnt seem all that mobile. id say sabonis is on that level. then again i cant say im watching west coast teams often enough to say it. either way, take him off that list and you get the idea.
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#291 » by Papi_swav » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:29 am

Well we can forget about that 2nd round pick thanks to the Clippers...
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,851

Post#292 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:41 am

Papi_swav wrote:Well we can forget about that 2nd round pick thanks to the Clippers...

Shout out to Billy King, still doing damage, where ever he is

lock this goddamn thread please. Its embarrassing.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#293 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:50 am

Buddy Heild is that dude. I wouldn't be shocked if he winds up the best player out of this draft. Also wouldn't be surpRised if he winds up the next Kerry Kittles, but he belongs.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#294 » by Prokorov » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:10 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:Buddy Heild is that dude. I wouldn't be shocked if he winds up the best player out of this draft. Also wouldn't be surpRised if he winds up the next Kerry Kittles, but he belongs.

Yup. he will probably lsoe a few draft slots because he is older... but man, it has done him a world of good. his game is so polished now. full arsenal. jump shooting, shooting off the dribble, step backs, range beyond NBA 3, drives to the hoop, finsihes with contact and both hands.

On the smallish side but his wingspan makes up for it. I can certainly see him becoming something like monte ellis. and as we all know, monte have it ALL
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#295 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:43 pm

Prokorov wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:Buddy Heild is that dude. I wouldn't be shocked if he winds up the best player out of this draft. Also wouldn't be surpRised if he winds up the next Kerry Kittles, but he belongs.

Yup. he will probably lsoe a few draft slots because he is older... but man, it has done him a world of good. his game is so polished now. full arsenal. jump shooting, shooting off the dribble, step backs, range beyond NBA 3, drives to the hoop, finsihes with contact and both hands.

On the smallish side but his wingspan makes up for it. I can certainly see him becoming something like monte ellis. and as we all know, monte have it ALL

Lol, Moped Ellis have it all.

I see better though. Like much better than Monta, or he tries to be a star for a few years and then settles into one of the top role players in the league and plays within himself if he isn't able to be an actual beast.

Monta has finally found his niche too, but it's still in that Crawford reckless chucker mantra.

Heild imho will try to be the man if the team that drafts him encourages him, but has the smarts to fall back into a top 3rd banana who plays within the flow guy and still gets paid big bucks role if it isn't working out after a few seasons.

Kind of like if Wes Matthews was drafted top ten and was asked to be a carry his team gunner, it didn't work well and he finds himself a really efficient 17ppg guy who does all the other little stuff, it shows in the stat sheet and he still gets damn near max on his first big contract.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#296 » by NyCeEvO » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:15 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

Lol, Moped Ellis have it all.

I see better though. Like much better than Monta, or he tries to be a star for a few years and then settles into one of the top role players in the league and plays within himself if he isn't able to be an actual beast.

Monta has finally found his niche too, but it's still in that Crawford reckless chucker mantra.

Heild imho will try to be the man if the team that drafts him encourages him, but has the smarts to fall back into a top 3rd banana who plays within the flow guy and still gets paid big bucks role if it isn't working out after a few seasons.

Kind of like if Wes Matthews was drafted top ten and was asked to be a carry his team gunner, it didn't work well and he finds himself a really efficient 17ppg guy who does all the other little stuff, it shows in the stat sheet and he still gets damn near max on his first big contract.

Agreed.

I don't see the Monta comparison simply because Monta is a athletic volume scorer who can't really play a lick of defense. Prime Monta has the impact Isaiah Thomas has for the Celtics. If he's surrounded by capable defenders, he can provide that offense that will push an average team that plays good defense over the hump, but if he's playing alongside a few weak defenders, he'll be filling up the stat sheet for a lotto team.

I've watched some tape of Heild over the last few weeks and I like what I see. As has already been noted, he's got a high BBIQ and has improved every year. (IMO, he would've been out of the NBA if he could've been drafted earlier because he was too raw. He's actually a good example of how staying in school can actually be better for your career than going straight to the league.)

I agree with the Kittles comparison. He's a heady offensive player who would possess the skills to be another Harden but is just a teeny bit too small and a tad too slow to be a superstar.

Here's the thing...I know many people say that Lopez isn't worth a lotto pick. I completely disagree, especially looking at the quality of this draft. Outside of Simmons and Ingram, there's no one who's being viewed as having allstar potential. (Even though I personally think Kris Dunn has a ceiling of being John Wall-lite). And if you present Lopez to a team who is tired of being in the lottery like the Wolves, Pelicans, Nuggets, or even the Bucks, I can definitely see a team giving up a pick between 4-14.

Trade Lopez and Thad in separate deals and I could quite honestly see two picks getting two picks in the 8-14 range. See if a Heild and Dunn are available and you'd have a young dynamic backcourt with ridiculous cap space.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,851

Post#297 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:34 am

I would not give up a 8-14 pick for Thad Young if I'm a GM. You're looking at late mid to late back end 1st.

Lopez, depending on where my team is, I'd consider it. If you're Minnesota, and you think that Karl Anthony Towns can possibly play next to Lopez, then I'd cut a deal and build a core of Lopez/Towns/Wiggins/Lavine and send Rubio and a 1st rder + filler back for Lopez.

In fact, the Wolves are the first team that I'd approach with an offer for Brook Lopez. Lopez for Rubio, Muhammad, and a 1st works straight up. Then you roll the free agency dice.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#298 » by NyCeEvO » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:51 am

MrDollarBills wrote:I would not give up a 8-14 pick for Thad Young if I'm a GM. You're looking at late mid to late back end 1st.

If you're a team like the Raptors who should have a lotto pick but needs players right now and doesn't have time to wait for a backend lotto player to develop, they could definitely consider it.

Look at the players in that range from last year's draft...Frank Kaminsky, Trey Lyles, Cameron Payne, Kelly Oubre, Terry Rozier. The Raptors would not take guys like that over a PF who doesn't cost that much but could push them into being an elite EC team. If the current evaluation of the draft holds true, I definitely think you'll see teams consider those types of deals.

Lopez, depending on where my team is, I'd consider it. If you're Minnesota, and you think that Karl Anthony Towns can possibly play next to Lopez, then I'd cut a deal and build a core of Lopez/Towns/Wiggins/Lavine and send Rubio and a 1st rder + filler back for Lopez.

In fact, the Wolves are the first team that I'd approach with an offer for Brook Lopez. Lopez for Rubio, Muhammad, and a 1st works straight up. Then you roll the free agency dice.

I don't know how Minny's management values Ricky but their fans and the advanced stats love him. I don't see them taking that sort of deal unless Sam Mitchell is still around. He seems to be the only one who values two-pointers over 3s and a super big rotation these days.
Ror1997
Analyst
And1: 911

Post#299 » by Ror1997 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:37 am

Would love to buy a late second round pick and draft Walkup. Let him play a year in the DLeague and then see what you've got.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#300 » by Prokorov » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:05 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:Agreed.

I don't see the Monta comparison simply because Monta is a athletic volume scorer who can't really play a lick of defense. Prime Monta has the impact Isaiah Thomas has for the Celtics. If he's surrounded by capable defenders, he can provide that offense that will push an average team that plays good defense over the hump, but if he's playing alongside a few weak defenders, he'll be filling up the stat sheet for a lotto team.

I've watched some tape of Heild over the last few weeks and I like what I see. As has already been noted, he's got a high BBIQ and has improved every year. (IMO, he would've been out of the NBA if he could've been drafted earlier because he was too raw. He's actually a good example of how staying in school can actually be better for your career than going straight to the league.)

yeah, when i said Monte Ellis, is was more of a compliment. the skillset and the output. not the chuker tendencies or the me-first persona. more ellis when he first broke in, that 23/5/4 guy who had a 58 TS early with the warriors before he started chucking up 22 shots a night... and more the size/skill comparison. smaller 2 gaurd but build strong and athletic enough to get his shots off, and a deadly range shooter

Here's the thing...I know many people say that Lopez isn't worth a lotto pick. I completely disagree, especially looking at the quality of this draft. Outside of Simmons and Ingram, there's no one who's being viewed as having allstar potential. (Even though I personally think Kris Dunn has a ceiling of being John Wall-lite). And if you present Lopez to a team who is tired of being in the lottery like the Wolves, Pelicans, Nuggets, or even the Bucks, I can definitely see a team giving up a pick between 4-14.

Yea, i think this offseason is the perfect time, if ever, to move lopez. teams arent bullish on stars in the mid to late lottery, and there are 3 or 4 centers in free agency who could replace lopez for nothing but money. if you can turn lopez into Horford + Hield and still have 35 in cap space to get a Point Gaurd/Wing you are in really good shape. but that all hinges on the confidence you can land that free agent center.
Trade Lopez and Thad in separate deals and I could quite honestly see two picks getting two picks in the 8-14 range. See if a Heild and Dunn are available and you'd have a young dynamic backcourt with ridiculous cap space.

If we could deal lopez for a pick in the 8-14 range and move thad for a PG i think that would potentially set up a great offseason. a 2 or 3 team deal where we turn thad into Teague, draft Hield, Sign Horford and steal an RFA like Beal/Fournier/Barnes and things start looking really good. we would also have 20+ million left for a Forward.

Teague/Hield/Parsons/Barnes/Horford

Thats like last year hawks only with 2 younger guys

Return to Brooklyn Nets