ImageImageImageImageImage

Predict Nets 2016 Offseason trades & transactions

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,850

Re: Predict Nets 2016 Offseason trades & transactions 

Post#421 » by MrDollarBills » Thu May 19, 2016 10:16 am

I've never really noticed that centers who can shoot threes open up things in the lane. Bigs usually don't close out on three point shooters, especially shot blocking bigs.

You're not going to get a Whiteside or Jordan away from the rim because Brook Lopez is jacking up threes.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Re: Re: Re: Predict Nets 2016 Offseason trades & transactions 

Post#422 » by NyCeEvO » Thu May 19, 2016 1:15 pm

DarkXaero wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:I'd prefer he worked on Brook's passing.
Brook's passing already improved a lot this year, and not as big of a concern anymore. Obviously he should keep working on it but there are other areas that take priority over it.

It has improved a lot but if we want to beat quality teams, he really needs to learn how to pass quickly.

Brook barely passed at all before these past two seasons. His passing game grew tremendously this past season but he could only execute if given enough time to look for guys. When other teams doubled hard, he still struggled.
DeRoma
Veteran
And1: 525

Post#423 » by DeRoma » Thu May 19, 2016 1:59 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:I've never really noticed that centers who can shoot threes open up things in the lane. Bigs usually don't close out on three point shooters, especially shot blocking bigs.

You're not going to get a Whiteside or Jordan away from the rim because Brook Lopez is jacking up threes.

Yeah because it forces teams to switch. However even if that's the situation. It's still good for us because of our versitile front court. It's strong since we are the ones who are in control of the game not them. And if they don't do a switch we get an open shot. That forces teams to a scramble situation where we can score easily

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#424 » by Prokorov » Thu May 19, 2016 4:13 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:I'd prefer he worked on Brook's passing.
Brook's passing already improved a lot this year, and not as big of a concern anymore. Obviously he should keep working on it but there are other areas that take priority over it.

It has improved a lot but if we want to beat quality teams, he really needs to learn how to pass quickly.

Brook barely passed at all before these past two seasons. His passing game grew tremendously this past season but he could only execute if given enough time to look for guys. When other teams doubled hard, he still struggled.

yea, the issue with brook has never really been knowing where to go with the ball but executing it and doing it timely. His passing, i wouldnt say it improved as much as id say he added to his game. he makes nice drop passes and passes well within the offense

the issue with brook has always more been handling double teams, not so much passing, and he still struggled w aith the hard double team. he gets down in that crouch, retreats and makes himself smaller. good teams still do it close and late situations.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#425 » by Prokorov » Thu May 19, 2016 4:15 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:I've never really noticed that centers who can shoot threes open up things in the lane. Bigs usually don't close out on three point shooters, especially shot blocking bigs.

yea, most teams shooting bigs are PFs... and the Center usually doesnt shoot 3s unless its a smallball big where the other team can just go small.

ideally i dont want brook shooting jumpers at all, but if he is going to do it id rather it be a three.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#426 » by NyCeEvO » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:41 pm

So who predicted Thad being traded for the 20th pick? :lol:
DeRoma
Veteran
And1: 525

Post#427 » by DeRoma » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:02 am

We might be trying to sign Rondo+Barnes this offseason from what it looks like
Zachbretton
Rookie
And1: 322

Post#428 » by Zachbretton » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:59 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MarcJSpearsESPN/status/746174157679923200[/tweet]

So it seems that Rondo is deciding between King and Us (atleast as the front runners). He had issues with Kings last season, so maybe we can get him on a solid contract... who knows.

But now that Oladipo is gone, gunna be hard to get Fournier, so looks like were gunna have to target Bazemore.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,095

Post#429 » by therealbig3 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:45 am

I was hesitant before, but I am firmly on the Conley bandwagon now. Especially if the other choice is Rondo.

Conley does everything better than Rondo. I'd rather pay him 20-25 million a year than Rondo 15-20 million.
Mkdaman1818
Sixth Man
And1: 1,101

Post#430 » by Mkdaman1818 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:48 am

Our only chance at Conley is if we convince another FA that he likes to team up together with Lopez (e.g. Conley and Horford). Dream scenario is Conley and Durant.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,095

Post#431 » by therealbig3 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:54 am

I might be in the minority, but yes, I would call signing Conley and Horford a success.

I think they're both legit All-Star level players that could definitely help us get into the playoffs. And they'd hold us over until we get our own picks again.

Those are the top 2 options on my wish list. Dwight would be my 3rd choice, which would include Lopez being traded for a wing.
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,069

Post#432 » by Netaman » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:49 pm

After dealing Thad (who I actually thought was our most likely "keep") here's what I expect:

PG - Though Rondo/Jennings are intriguing, if the focus is truly on character Lin makes by far the most logical sense, probably using the salary slot they vacated when they dealt Thad (3 years, 36m, or in that ballpark). Gets his chance to start this year and not too expensive to possibly shift to a 6th man role in the future if someone better comes along. Really though, we need 2 PG's because we don't even have a backup. I'm not a Jack fan, so I'm hoping he's either moved for another veteran or just cut to sign a gritty euro or Vasquez type.

PF/C - Without Thad there's a gaping hole here (and also no backup center to Lopez). I think they'll make a big push for Horford. Not sure it will be successful, but I think they go hard. If they miss on him I could see them having interest in Barnes, whose price has to have taken a hit with the way he played in the finals. Depending on price/health I could also see Noah being a target, mostly due to his character & intangibles, but it sounds like someone else will give him a crazy contract. Bottomline, with the huge hole on the roster and the Thad deal not exactly bringing back an overwhelming return, I expect they have a healthy list of starting caliber targets here.

Wing - It's obviously a weak position, but we at least have a lot of bodies - RHJ, Bogs, Kilpatrick, Markel and now LeVert/Whitehead. Bazemore is possible target but I don't see them wanting to overpay just to add another body in the mix, or anyone else that isn't a bonafide starter for that matter. I'd say it's much more likely they try to find the next Bazemore/Crabbe/Caroll, whether it's someone currently on the roster or someone who can be had cheap in a trade or FA.

That would give us:
Lin / euro PG
Bogs / Levert / Markel
RHJ / Kilpatrick / cheap FA
Vet / CMac
Brook / cheap FA

Assuming they get a decent PF that could be an interesting team if they get good PG play (which I assume is the #1 thing Atkinson is going to mold the system towards). Ultimately, this year is going to be about the development of our young wings.
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 359

Post#433 » by jbeachboy » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:22 pm

i dont want to overpay conley, lin , and some of these guys looking for big payday.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#434 » by NyCeEvO » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:16 pm

therealbig3 wrote:I might be in the minority, but yes, I would call signing Conley and Horford a success.

I think they're both legit All-Star level players that could definitely help us get into the playoffs. And they'd hold us over until we get our own picks again.

Those are the top 2 options on my wish list. Dwight would be my 3rd choice, which would include Lopez being traded for a wing.

But do you think Horford would leave the Hawks for the Nets? I don't. Don't get me wrong...in comparison with how things are looking for us now, I'd much rather go forward with Conley and Horford than the mediocre crop of free agents.

I just don't see why he'd choose us over the Hawks except for the fact that we could sell him the ability to play the 4.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#435 » by Prokorov » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:30 pm

Netaman wrote:After dealing Thad (who I actually thought was our most likely "keep") here's what I expect:

PG - Though Rondo/Jennings are intriguing, if the focus is truly on character Lin makes by far the most logical sense, probably using the salary slot they vacated when they dealt Thad (3 years, 36m, or in that ballpark). Gets his chance to start this year and not too expensive to possibly shift to a 6th man role in the future if someone better comes along. Really though, we need 2 PG's because we don't even have a backup. I'm not a Jack fan, so I'm hoping he's either moved for another veteran or just cut to sign a gritty euro or Vasquez type.

Lin would be a horrible signing. and a complete waste of the cap savings we got from thad. it would be turning a role player forward into a bench point gaurd and asking him to start. to me that would make the offseason a monunmental failure unless we somehow found a way to get derozan and horford.

PF/C - Without Thad there's a gaping hole here (and also no backup center to Lopez). I think they'll make a big push for Horford. Not sure it will be successful, but I think they go hard. If they miss on him I could see them having interest in Barnes, whose price has to have taken a hit with the way he played in the finals. Depending on price/health I could also see Noah being a target, mostly due to his character & intangibles, but it sounds like someone else will give him a crazy contract. Bottomline, with the huge hole on the roster and the Thad deal not exactly bringing back an overwhelming return, I expect they have a healthy list of starting caliber targets here.

I dont think its a huge hole. i think you can get away with a marginal player at PF if they can shoot 3s and or defend. stocking up on the wings has mroe impact

Wing - It's obviously a weak position, but we at least have a lot of bodies - RHJ, Bogs, Kilpatrick, Markel and now LeVert/Whitehead. Bazemore is possible target but I don't see them wanting to overpay just to add another body in the mix, or anyone else that isn't a bonafide starter for that matter. I'd say it's much more likely they try to find the next Bazemore/Crabbe/Caroll, whether it's someone currently on the roster or someone who can be had cheap in a trade or FA.

That would give us:
Lin / euro PG
Bogs / Levert / Markel
RHJ / Kilpatrick / cheap FA
Vet / CMac
Brook / cheap FA

thats probably the worst team in the NBA unless philly tanks again. even then we might be worse. that team has 1 starter on it.

Assuming they get a decent PF that could be an interesting team if they get good PG play (which I assume is the #1 thing Atkinson is going to mold the system towards). Ultimately, this year is going to be about the development of our young wings.

hard to expect good PG with lin as the PG. and this years FA market not much for high end PF.... its more excellent role guys like marving williams and anothony tolliver.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#436 » by Prokorov » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:31 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:I might be in the minority, but yes, I would call signing Conley and Horford a success.

But do you think Horford would leave the Hawks for the Nets? I don't. Don't get me wrong...in comparison with how things are looking for us now, I'd much rather go forward with Conley and Horford than the mediocre crop of free agents.

I just don't see why he'd choose us over the Hawks except for the fact that we could sell him the ability to play the 4.

i think if you get bazemore and horford in the same room with atkinson you might have a shot at both. horford alone probably not
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach

Post#437 » by jbeachboy » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:52 pm

horford wants to stay with hawks. any updates if bazemore wants out?
NJDrew2
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#438 » by NJDrew2 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:12 pm

After the Thad trade and the two picks in the draft, I think a guy like Terrence Jones might be a target. He was completely out of the rotation for the last month of the season and didn't play at all in the playoffs. He might be a buy low kind of player that Marks would take a chance on. He also fits next to Brook.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#439 » by Prokorov » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:16 pm

no, but you will get open threes out of it for lopez, which is a much better thing then an open long two.

brook need to ditch the 18-20 footer for a three. so this way when he shoots 33-39% on them its helping you, unlike doing the same from 18-20 feet. brook shooting threes is less about spacing the floor and more about turning the worst shot he takes into a positive shot.
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach

Post#440 » by jbeachboy » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:58 pm

i dont want lopez shooting threes.

Return to Brooklyn Nets