Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

The Mad Scientist - Coach Kenny Thread 

Post#1 » by Paradise » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:59 pm

[Tweet]https://twitter.com/espnsteinline/status/720305538387435521[/Tweet]

[Tweet]https://twitter.com/espnsteinline/status/720305866365251584[/Tweet]

NI is also reporting that Mikhail and Dmitry will be meeting with Marks and Langdon tonight in Brooklyn. #HelloOff-Season
Mkdaman1818
Sixth Man
And1: 1,101

Re: The Head Coach Search Thread 

Post#2 » by Mkdaman1818 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:06 pm

JVG just sounds like the usual rumor mill. If I had to bet money right now, I'd say Ettore is a strong candidate.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#3 » by NyCeEvO » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:19 pm

I'm glad the offseason is finally here but it will be a long one.

I agree with Mkdm about JVG. If you're seriously interested in JVG, how can you not be interested in Thibs?

I also find it interesting that ownership went through an exhaustive GM search after talking with many people around the league but we keep hearing and seeing Marks nabbing Spurs guys. Yes, the Spurs are a great organization but they do not harbor all of the talented people in the world.

I'd like to see Marks show some independent thinking soon and prove to us that he KNOWS what he's doing rather than continuing to go back to his parent organization and give his former colleagues better jobs.
Paradise

Post#4 » by Paradise » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:19 pm

Kenny Atkinson is in the mix.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/mazzespn/status/720355465419358208[/tweet]
Zachbretton
Rookie
And1: 322

Post#5 » by Zachbretton » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:56 pm

I think the JVG look is something that made more sense when we were hiring Hollins, but we need a fresh face who can be here for a long time and help in building this culture.

I'm leaning more toward the Atkinson / Udoka path. I wouldn't have an issue with Messina, I think he can bring a lot to the table.

My short list would be:
Atkinson
Udoka
Messina
Blatt
Brooks
Larranaga
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#6 » by Prokorov » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:01 am

Would LOVE JVG, he would be my top choice. i didnt think he was a realistic option though based on prior comments and reporting. but if he is available, great guy to have on board.

not really a fan of atkinson, but whoever marks wants to bring in im cool with as long as its his choice and not ownership
Mkdaman1818
Sixth Man

Post#7 » by Mkdaman1818 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:19 am

Prokorov wrote:Would LOVE JVG, he would be my top choice. i didnt think he was a realistic option though based on prior comments and reporting. but if he is available, great guy to have on board.

not really a fan of atkinson, but whoever marks wants to bring in im cool with as long as its his choice and not ownership

JVG sounds like a choice we'd make to troll the Knicks. I'm sure part of the GM hiring process was discussing the types of coaches we'd hire and their merits. Now that we got a GM that isn't a rehashed guy like Colangelo, I want the coach we hire to also be a new up and comer. Whether it's David Blatt, Ettore, Atkinson, or maybe even a college guy like Wright or Ollie, I don't want a has-been. The exception I'll make for this is Thibs - a guy who got let go because of a pansy front office and their club is struggling without him. But JVG... I just think his time has passed.
Paradise

Post#8 » by Paradise » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:28 pm

Brett Brown, Luke Walton are in the mix according to Brian Lewis of the NY Post.

After this 21-61 season, the job will be a challenge for whoever gets it. Also in the mix are Atlanta assistant Kenny Atkinson, Bucks assistant (and former Nets employee) Sean Sweeney, current 76ers coach Brett Brown, Warriors assistant Luke Walton, Mark Jackson and Vinny Del Negro.

The coach the Nets choose will decide how they play and whom they pursue in free agency. But with Jack having just a $500,000 buyout and unlikely to return, a point guard (read current Grizzlies star Mike Conley) will top the list.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#9 » by Prokorov » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:36 pm

Mkdaman1818 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:Would LOVE JVG, he would be my top choice. i didnt think he was a realistic option though based on prior comments and reporting. but if he is available, great guy to have on board.

JVG sounds like a choice we'd make to troll the Knicks. I'm sure part of the GM hiring process was discussing the types of coaches we'd hire and their merits. Now that we got a GM that isn't a rehashed guy like Colangelo, I want the coach we hire to also be a new up and comer. Whether it's David Blatt, Ettore, Atkinson, or maybe even a college guy like Wright or Ollie, I don't want a has-been. The exception I'll make for this is Thibs - a guy who got let go because of a pansy front office and their club is struggling without him. But JVG... I just think his time has passed.

funny you'd make an exception for thibs, who was mentored who learned under vang undy in NY and houston, but wouldnt make an exceptionf or van gundy. i dont think van gundy is a has been. i think he is a great basketball mind, and a flexible one. he isnt some sour puss who will shun analytics, quite the opposite. this isnt hollins 2.0.
Paradise

The Head Coach Search Thread  

Post#10 » by Paradise » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:44 pm

According to Ken Berger, Tom Thibodeau and Mike D'Antoni are candidates.

"The Brooklyn job is a headscratcher, as GM Sean Marks -- cut from the secretive San Antonio cloth -- has been tight-lipped about his intentions. Player agents will be paying close attention to the Nets' interview process, and ultimately, the hire -- seeking a reason for their clients to consider Brooklyn as free agents in July. For that reason, Mike D'Antoni -- whose system is known for raising players' value -- could get a look, sources say. Tom Thibodeau, Jeff Van Gundy and Spurs assistant Ettore Messina are also believed to be on Marks' short list. Don't discount Hawks assistant Kenny Atkinson, who shares Marks' representation with CAA."

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nba/writer/ken-berger/25553104/starting-with-wizards-wittman-at-least-four-coaching-jobs-expected-to-open

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,837

Post#11 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:00 pm

lol

I smell bull **** on half of these names.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
DeRoma
Veteran
And1: 525

Post#12 » by DeRoma » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:35 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:lol

Yeah I can't see us signing D'antoni or JVG
Mkdaman1818
Sixth Man

Post#13 » by Mkdaman1818 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:00 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Mkdaman1818 wrote:

funny you'd make an exception for thibs, who was mentored who learned under vang undy in NY and houston, but wouldnt make an exceptionf or van gundy. i dont think van gundy is a has been. i think he is a great basketball mind, and a flexible one. he isnt some sour puss who will shun analytics, quite the opposite. this isnt hollins 2.0.

I don't view him as a sourpuss or a basketball idiot by any means - he is far and away my favorite analyst on tv right now. But I'd rather give the job to someone who's been cutting their teeth as a coach right now. There is a certain intensity and grind that comes with coaching, and I think it's a huge disadvantage that he's been out of it for so long. Give me Walton or any of the other names I mentioned, simply because they're used to the grind of coaching right now, and they're in tune with the game as it stands right now. I'd feel the same way about Thibs if he took another year off next year too.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#14 » by NyCeEvO » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:53 pm

DeRoma wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:lol

Yeah I can't see us signing D'antoni or JVG

It's the same thing that happened for our opening of the GM position.

Many of the usual suspects were reportedly "in the mix". We even heard Joe Dumars at one point and people were laughing at the Nets for considering him. We don't even know if he was really a candidate. Yet this is what happens when reporters need to meet deadlines and there's no new facts out there. They become imaginative and start throwing out the names of people that they think would be interested in the job.

It happens all of the time.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#15 » by CalamityX12 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:58 pm

wha??? no coach Cal???? lol
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#16 » by SpeedyG » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:10 pm

Udoka? What's his experience coaching?
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#17 » by NyCeEvO » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:44 pm

SpeedyG wrote:Udoka? What's his experience coaching?

Other than being a deep down the bench assistant coach, he's got no experience.
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,559

Post#18 » by DarkXaero » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:50 pm

I'm guessing Thibs isn't being considered because he isn't interested in us. Hell no to JVG, Mark Jackson, Vinny del Negro (LOL) and D'Antoni (would be happy with D'Antoni as assistant coach tho). Udoka would be a disappointing hire, profile wise but I would reserve full judgment until actual on court performances of course. I would be content with Messina. And out of the names mentioned, I would probably be happiest with Kenny Atkinson. He seems like a Thibs type coach waiting to break out as a HC.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#19 » by NyCeEvO » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:05 pm

DarkXaero wrote:I'm guessing Thibs isn't being considered because he isn't interested in us. Hell no to JVG, Mark Jackson, Vinny del Negro (LOL) and D'Antoni (would be happy with D'Antoni as assistant coach tho). Udoka would be a disappointing hire, profile wise but I would reserve full judgment until actual on court performances of course. I would be content with Messina. And out of the names mentioned, I would probably be happiest with Kenny Atkinson. He seems like a Thibs type coach waiting to break out as a HC.

If Thibs isn't being considered, I don't think it's because he has no interest.

From the start, when Marks has been asked about the prospects of hiring Thibs, he's gone out of his way to indicate that the chances of it happening are low. I'm not sure if he's heard something bad about Thibs or just doesn't like it but he's the only coaching prospect that he's had that reaction towards. I don't know what to make of it.

Maybe you're right. Maybe Thibs was contacted when the GM position was open to gauge his interest for being a POBO/HC and he said no. But the bottom line is that we don't know.

At this point I prefer Atkinson if Thibs isn't being considered. I just have this feeling that Messina isn't going to mesh well with a developing team. That's just a personal feeling though.
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,559

Post#20 » by DarkXaero » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:23 am

NyCeEvO wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:I'm guessing Thibs isn't being considered because he isn't interested in us. Hell no to JVG, Mark Jackson, Vinny del Negro (LOL) and D'Antoni (would be happy with D'Antoni as assistant coach tho). Udoka would be a disappointing hire, profile wise but I would reserve full judgment until actual on court performances of course. I would be content with Messina. And out of the names mentioned, I would probably be happiest with Kenny Atkinson. He seems like a Thibs type coach waiting to break out as a HC.

If Thibs isn't being considered, I don't think it's because he has no interest.

From the start, when Marks has been asked about the prospects of hiring Thibs, he's gone out of his way to indicate that the chances of it happening are low. I'm not sure if he's heard something bad about Thibs or just doesn't like it but he's the only coaching prospect that he's had that reaction towards. I don't know what to make of it.

Maybe you're right. Maybe Thibs was contacted when the GM position was open to gauge his interest for being a POBO/HC and he said no. But the bottom line is that we don't know.

At this point I prefer Atkinson if Thibs isn't being considered. I just have this feeling that Messina isn't going to mesh well with a developing team. That's just a personal feeling though.
When Marks was asked about Thibs, he said that Thibs "will have a lot of offers". To me, that indicated that Thibs likely isn't interested in coming here. The other bit that came out regarding Thibs said that Thibs wants a more influential role as a HC.

Return to Brooklyn Nets