The Mad Scientist - Coach Kenny Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Re: Re: Re: Nets hire Kenny Atkinson as Head Coach 

Post#261 » by NyCeEvO » Tue May 17, 2016 2:31 am

Net Sentence wrote:Im glad we have Atkinson on board. The Nets havent gotten the coach right in years.

It was interesting to hear him talk about Thad being like Milsap. Ive been saying that for a while now despite those who wont be named **cough*Proky***cough*** saying otherwise. Thad's career mirrors Milsap as much as his game does.

I don't see Thad being like Millsap that much.

Millsap can put the ball on the floor and score from anywhere. He's basically Melo-lite with the ability to be a good team defender.

Thad has a ways to go before his offensive game could be foundational to our offense like Millsap's game.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: Re: Re: Nets hire Kenny Atkinson as Head Coach 

Post#262 » by Prokorov » Tue May 17, 2016 8:34 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:
Net Sentence wrote:Im glad we have Atkinson on board. The Nets havent gotten the coach right in years.

It was interesting to hear him talk about Thad being like Milsap. Ive been saying that for a while now despite those who wont be named **cough*Proky***cough*** saying otherwise. Thad's career mirrors Milsap as much as his game does.

I don't see Thad being like Millsap that much.

Millsap can put the ball on the floor and score from anywhere. He's basically Melo-lite with the ability to be a good team defender.

Thad has a ways to go before his offensive game could be foundational to our offense like Millsap's game.

yeah thad is a serviceable player not some scrub... but he isnt milsap. Milsap is a 2 way player who can really be a weapon on both sides of the ball. he can defend wings and bigs, he blocks shots, high iq on both ends. defenively there is a pretty wide margin between thad and milsap

offensively its a bit closer, but still milsap clearly ahead. milsap is a step above him in shooting and scoring efficiency despite creating more for him self and being a guy who more focus on him.

he is just on another level then thad.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,831

Re: Nets hire Kenny Atkinson as Head Coach 

Post#263 » by MrDollarBills » Tue May 17, 2016 8:39 pm

Milsap is a superior player to Thad and he showed as much when he whipped Thad like a ragdoll
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#264 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue May 17, 2016 9:29 pm

Millsap is still incredibly underrated by some I see.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
spaceballer
Head Coach
And1: 2,707

Post#265 » by spaceballer » Fri May 20, 2016 10:20 pm

Atkinson's interview on ESPN radio yesterday:

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/newyork/play?id=15612606

After the interview, the ESPN guys said that if they had a choice between Jeremy Lin and Jeff Teague, they would choose JLin over Teague.

They're calling the Nets defensive plan the "Atkinson Diet" :lol:
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Kenny Atkinson radio interview the Atkinson Diet! 

Post#266 » by kamaze » Sat May 21, 2016 2:34 am

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/newyork/play?id=15612606

Said he wants ball movement in the offense and talked about Shane Larkin.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Nets hire Kenny Atkinson as Head Coach 

Post#267 » by Paradise » Tue May 24, 2016 2:54 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/wojverticalnba/status/735108016463171585[/tweet]
shakendfries
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,063

Post#268 » by shakendfries » Thu Jun 2, 2016 8:28 pm

Atkinson is already breaking in the practice facility hardwood with Markel, Kilpatrick, Chris, & Rondae

Making his NBA debut halfway through the 2015-16 season, McCullough’s persistence and drive has defined him as a rookie, and has continued into the offseason.

“My summer has been coming along good,” he said after wrapping up a basketball clinic for fans at Barclays Center in May. “I’ve been in the gym lately, four or five days a week and sometimes going in by myself late nights to work on my game.”

But he’s not the only one exceedingly focused on preparing for next season.

“Rondae, Markel, Sean and I have all been on the court competing and working hard together -- trying to find a good balance,” McCullough said. “We played last season together and it’s about having a better bond. Working out together is going to be a great thing for us. We keep getting better.”

Building up those relationships and camaraderie during the summer has been both a key and highlight for the younger members of the Brooklyn squad, and recently, they’ve been joined by the newest member of the Nets family.

“Coach Atkinson is working us hard in the gym every day basically,” McCullough said. “I love his enthusiasm. He’s very energetic and wants the guys to get out there and get after it. That’s what we’ve been doing. Overall it’s been great.”

“Getting after it” has even included a mini-team yoga session, which Nets guard Sean Kilpatrick tweeted about earlier this month.

“I did yoga in college and high school. I think it was great. Just another bonding experience,” he said. “We worked out with all the coaches and training staff with everybody, we all did yoga together. I would definitely do it again.”

Just as productive as the team bonding this summer, McCullough’s personal goals haven’t wavered.

“One of the main things is just working on my body,” he said. “I’m focused on my overall game – anything I can work on, like my ball handling, shooting and my overall skill set.”

A Bronx native, McCullough said his new home office in Brooklyn at the HSS Training Center couldn’t be a better place to work on this development.

“I love that place. It’s the best practice facility I’ve seen,” he said. “Just looking at that view -- I’m from New York so being able to look out at the city when I’m practicing is a great feeling. The upstairs and the roof deck, everything about it is amazing.”

As the offseason continues, McCullough won’t let his hustle diminish.

“My season ended early last season, only having played 24 games,” he said. “Just being back on the court next season is what I’m looking forward to most.”
ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,831

Post#269 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Jun 2, 2016 10:01 pm

good to see them taking this summer seriously and Kenny working with them directly before the fall.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Ror1997
Analyst
And1: 911

Post#270 » by Ror1997 » Thu Jun 2, 2016 11:31 pm

Definitely feels like Markel will be back
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#271 » by CalamityX12 » Fri Jun 3, 2016 1:07 pm

Why is Brook not with these guys again?
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#272 » by Paradise » Fri Jun 3, 2016 3:05 pm

CalamityX12 wrote:Why is Brook not with these guys again?

He lives in Cali during the off-season.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#273 » by CalamityX12 » Fri Jun 3, 2016 3:18 pm

Paradise wrote:

ohhh did not knew this....
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#274 » by NyCeEvO » Tue Jul 5, 2016 5:07 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BrooklynNets/status/750374367947853824[/tweet]

BROOKLYN (July 5, 2016) – The Brooklyn Nets have announced Head Coach Kenny Atkinson’s coaching staff, naming Jacque Vaughn, Chris Fleming and Bret Brielmaier assistant coaches, Adam Harrington assistant coach and director of player development, Jordan Ott assistant coach and manager of advance scouting and Mike Batiste player development assistant. Per team policy, terms of the deals were not released.

via http://www.nba.com/nets/news/2016/07/05/brooklyn-nets-finalize-coaching-staff

You can view the link to see the bios for the entire staff.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#275 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue Jul 5, 2016 5:48 pm

Paradise wrote:

Brook&Lin both born in SoCal and both moved to Palo Alto. Wow!
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Roy Tarpley
Veteran
And1: 987

Post#276 » by Roy Tarpley » Thu Jul 7, 2016 7:08 pm

An article about the summer league practice quotes Yogi Ferrell revealing about Atkinson's offense: "We're gonna get out and run."
spaceballer
Head Coach

Post#277 » by spaceballer » Thu Jul 7, 2016 9:44 pm

Roy Tarpley wrote:An article about the summer league practice quotes Yogi Ferrell revealing about Atkinson's offense: "We're gonna get out and run."

Sounds like this might be a fun transition team to watch.
spaceballer
Head Coach

Post#278 » by spaceballer » Sat Jul 9, 2016 4:46 am

Nice article about how Atkinson sees Brook Lopez and Jeremy Lin fitting together. Lots of informative quotes from Atkinson.

http://nypost.com/2016/07/08/how-jeremy-lins-strength-can-sharpen-brook-lopezs-game/
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#279 » by ChokeFasncists » Sat Jul 9, 2016 9:03 am

Roy Tarpley wrote:An article about the summer league practice quotes Yogi Ferrell revealing about Atkinson's offense: "We're gonna get out and run."

Sounds like Lin, TJ, Crabbe, RHJ, CMC and Booker are all gonna be studs on the break. Makes perfect sense.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
spaceballer
Head Coach

Post#280 » by spaceballer » Thu Aug 4, 2016 8:13 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Brooklyn Nets