ImageImageImageImageImage

The 2016 Off-Season Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Net Sentence
Veteran
And1: 334

Re: The 2016 Off-Season Thread 

Post#4141 » by Net Sentence » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:47 am

I would take Waiters over Foye, J Harris and Bennett. None of those 3 have a future in the NBA IMO.

Waiters has shown flashes in his NBA career, he just lacks the consistency. He has 2 seasons under his belt of 35.8% or greater on 3s on good volume and has the ability to create his own shot. He is nothing but upside and is durable. He's not someone you start off free agency targeting but at this point he would be a very good get.
Ror1997
Analyst
And1: 911

Post#4142 » by Ror1997 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:53 am

Whitehead counts as a roster spot because he's signed to an NBA deal. If he signed a DLeague contract then the Nets could've stuck him down there and kept his draft rights. But since they didn't, he can only play there on assignment.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,227

Post#4143 » by Papi_swav » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:25 am

jbeachboy wrote:no to rudy gay, he makes teams worse. plus we have nothing to offer if we wanted him anyway.

I don't think we can be any worse than we are now, at least he is a certified starter in this league. Plus right now we don't have any players that can play both the 3 AND the 4, Gay can do both. Looks like the Kings dont have much offers for him now so maybe Bogs and cap space gets it done
KennyD
Ballboy
And1: 10

Post#4144 » by KennyD » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:36 am

jbeachboy wrote:no to rudy gay, he makes teams worse. plus we have nothing to offer if we wanted him anyway.

++++ Gay is so overrated. he will definitely makes the team worst. The guy has a me first mentality.
hood30
Rookie
And1: 229

Post#4145 » by hood30 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:19 am

Papi_swav wrote:

I don't think we can be any worse than we are now, at least he is a certified starter in this league. Plus right now we don't have any players that can play both the 3 AND the 4, Gay can do both. Looks like the Kings dont have much offers for him now so maybe Bogs and cap space gets it done

Exactly....Gay, a career 17ppg scorer, is extremely versatile and as you stated, can play both PF/SF which allows you to stretch the floor properly...Nets can also use another scoring threat beside Lopez and Lin..Most team who wants to be good needs at least 3 15+ppg players.

Whether the Nets can acquire Rudy Gay is a different story..Probably not, but the Kings are starting to get a bit desperate..They have no leverage since Gay will leave next year anyway...and why would a trading partner give up decent asset for a player that may only be with them for 1 year?

At this point, Sacramento "might" have to give up a 2nd round pick to a trading partner just to get him off their book...just like Houston had to actually give the Lakers their 1 round draft pick to take Lin's $11M salary off their book.

Unlike other teams, Nets have the space to fit in Gay's $12M cap without forcing Sacramento to take assets worth the same amount.

Gay will opt out next year, so the Nets aren't stuck with his contract for too long...so it's a win win situation for them since they won't have to give up talented assets for Gay.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,227

Post#4146 » by Papi_swav » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:27 am

hood30 wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:

Exactly....Gay, a career 17ppg scorer, is extremely versatile and as you stated, can play both PF/SF which allows you to stretch the floor properly...Nets can also use another scoring threat beside Lopez and Lin..Most team who wants to be good needs at least 3 15+ppg players.

Whether the Nets can acquire Rudy Gay is a different story..Probably not, but the Kings are starting to get a bit desperate..They have no leverage since Gay will leave next year anyway...and why would a trading partner give up decent asset for a player that may only be with them for 1 year?

At this point, Sacramento "might" have to give up a 2nd round pick to a trading partner just to get him off their book...just like Houston had to actually give the Lakers their 1 round draft pick to take Lin's $11M salary off their book.

Unlike other teams, Nets have the space to fit in Gay's $12M cap without forcing Sacramento to take assets worth the same amount.

Gay will opt out next year, so the Nets aren't stuck with his contract for too long...so it's a win win situation for them since they won't have to give up talented assets for Gay.

Thats a fact, these guys on here talking about he will make us worse? HOW?! we are already a 15 win team. then they say "he's going to ruin development blah blah" who's development is he hurting? RHJ and Levert can play the 2 or 3, every team need that hybrid 3/4 on the team which we dont have. We barely have a starting small or power forward.
hood30
Rookie

Post#4147 » by hood30 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:50 am

Papi_swav wrote:
hood30 wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:I don't think we can be any worse than we are now, at least he is a certified starter in this league. Plus right now we don't have any players that can play both the 3 AND the 4, Gay can do both. Looks like the Kings dont have much offers for him now so maybe Bogs and cap space gets it done

Thats a fact, these guys on here talking about he will make us worse? HOW?! we are already a 15 win team. then they say "he's going to ruin development blah blah" who's development is he hurting? RHJ and Levert can play the 2 or 3, every team need that hybrid 3/4 on the team which we dont have. We barely have a starting small or power forward.

I'm 100% with you on this...Looking at the Nets Projected starting 5, one has to scratch his head at the idea that Gay would actually make the Nets worse.

I mean, we're talking about a starting 5 that consist of Lin/Bogs/RHJ/Booker/Lopez....You mean to tell me Gay wouldn't be an upgrade on either Booker, RHJ or Bogs?

When you look at this Nets starting 5 unit, there's 2 things lacking...Shooters and players who can create their own shot to score....Basically, the only guy you can count on to get buckets easily is Lopez at 20ppg...After that, you have to HOPE Lin gets you as much as 18ppg...

After Lin, there's really nobody out there..and even Lin is not that great at creating his own shots..Lin is mostly, a PnR guy who likes to drive to the basket....It's not a given he will give you 18-20ppg which is exactly what you will need from Lin if you do not have another legit scorer beside Lopez.

The Nets has by far the worst looking starting 5 in the league right now...It's understandable why many will pick them to finish last...How worst can they actually get with Gay who is better than RHJ, Booker and Bogs.
tonman
Senior
And1: 131

Post#4148 » by tonman » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:14 am

Concur on gay. Win win for Nets. Give 3rd scorer. Get a pick out of it would be awesome. Makes sense.
Shark
Lead Assistant
And1: 980

Post#4149 » by Shark » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:59 am

Wouldn't mind Waiters as an UFA at this point.
Curns13
Pro Prospect
And1: 267

Post#4150 » by Curns13 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:10 am

tonman wrote:Concur on gay. Win win for Nets. Give 3rd scorer. Get a pick out of it would be awesome. Makes sense.

Is there a suggestion that the Kings would give away a pick for someone to take Gay off their hands? I wouldn't have thought they would be willing to do that.
hood30
Rookie

Post#4151 » by hood30 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:08 am

Curns13 wrote:
tonman wrote:Concur on gay. Win win for Nets. Give 3rd scorer. Get a pick out of it would be awesome. Makes sense.

Is there a suggestion that the Kings would give away a pick for someone to take Gay off their hands? I wouldn't have thought they would be willing to do that.

The Kings hasn't really made it clear on what it would take to get Gay, but we know they've been trying to unload his contract off their book since last trade-deadline and couldn't get any team to offer good young assets for Gay

So people are suggesting they may have to give him away for very little..If Kings can't get good young prospect back for Gay, they might as well just clear out $13M of cap space by trading Gay with no significant salary coming back to them...That gives them flexibility for 2017 free agency or to acquire a star player via trade in mid-season.

When Houston traded Lin to Lakers, they were forced to actually give Lakers their 1st round pick because Lin had an expiring contract and Houston could not get any other teams to offer anything of value in exchange..They really wanted to remove Lin's cap money so they had to pay a price for that.

Why is Brooklyn a good fit and not others??...Because Brooklyn is among the few team that can fit Gay's $13M salary into their cap...With the exception of maybe 2, no one has room for Gay...Clearing cap space may be more important for Sacramento now.
Ror1997
Analyst
And1: 911

Post#4152 » by Ror1997 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:11 am

I think I would take Rudy Gay for a year as a stretch 4, but in no way do I see him as a long term answer at either forward position. I l also wouldn't give up anything of value for him. The only rotation player I would give up in a trade for him is Bogs.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#4153 » by ChokeFasncists » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:28 am

I'm pretty sure the Kings are looking to get quite a bit for him, otherwise would have been able to trade him.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
r0drig0lac
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,265

Post#4154 » by r0drig0lac » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:47 pm

RG and DW on 1 year contracts, would be win-win for the Nets this season
Rockice_24
Starter
And1: 816

Post#4155 » by Rockice_24 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:13 pm

Net Sentence wrote:I would take Waiters over Foye, J Harris and Bennett. None of those 3 have a future in the NBA IMO.

Waiters has shown flashes in his NBA career, he just lacks the consistency. He has 2 seasons under his belt of 35.8% or greater on 3s on good volume and has the ability to create his own shot. He is nothing but upside and is durable. He's not someone you start off free agency targeting but at this point he would be a very good get.

32 teams must be missing the boat on this good get because I haven't heard a whisper of one team even interested. You make it sound like teams would be lining up once he became a UFA.

#trusttheprocess
spaceballer
Head Coach
And1: 2,707

Post#4156 » by spaceballer » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:34 pm

Rockice_24 wrote:
Net Sentence wrote:I would take Waiters over Foye, J Harris and Bennett. None of those 3 have a future in the NBA IMO.

32 teams must be missing the boat on this good get because I haven't heard a whisper of one team even interested. You make it sound like teams would be lining up once he became a UFA.

#trusttheprocess

Yup. You've got Sixers fans in the GB hoping the Nets pick Dion Waiters up so that he doesn't end up on the Sixers. And Celtics fans hoping the Nets pick him up to help the draft pick swap.

Fortunately, Marks is smarter than that. Latest word from Stein is that the Nets haven't changed their minds.

Marc Stein
@ESPNSteinLine

Early indications are that the Nets haven't changed their stance on pursuing Dion Waiters now that he's an unrestricted free agent but ...

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/755773579845775360

Marc Stein
@ESPNSteinLine

But it's a safe bet that the Nets' interest level in Dion Waiters is sure to be a topic this afternoon at the team's planned news conference

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/755774340356935681
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,432

Post#4157 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:39 pm

It doesn't take but one look at his numbers across the board to see that this guy is a horrible player.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
shakendfries
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,063

Post#4158 » by shakendfries » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:13 pm

spaceballer wrote:
Rockice_24 wrote:

#trusttheprocess

Yup. You've got Sixers fans in the GB hoping the Nets pick Dion Waiters up so that he doesn't end up on the Sixers. And Celtics fans hoping the Nets pick him up to help the draft pick swap.

Likewise

shakendfries wrote:
jbeachboy wrote:kevin durant did not curse at him, i dont see that anywhere and i can read durants lips pretty good in that video.

:nonono:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llTGrQks62I[/youtube]

Dion Waiters is a trash player who thinks he's better than he actually is

Let him go to Philly so he can shoot them out of games and ruin any chance they have to win under pressure
ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
m40
Freshman
And1: 83

Post#4159 » by m40 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:44 pm

Not sure if I got it wrong... I feel Celtics line up is even stronger than Knicks, they are so deep in bench and young at prime and all healthy.

Cav, Cel, Tor, hawk, nyk, heats , bull, pacer are likely in PO, others like Hornets and Pistons are also not bad. So competitive in East.
Zachbretton
Rookie
And1: 322

Post#4160 » by Zachbretton » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:28 pm

m40 wrote:Not sure if I got it wrong... I feel Celtics line up is even stronger than Knicks, they are so deep in bench and young at prime and all healthy.

Cav, Cel, Tor, hawk, nyk, heats , bull, pacer are likely in PO, others like Hornets and Pistons are also not bad. So competitive in East.

Celtics are clearly better than the Knicks, that's not even close to a question.

On a separate point, I think we all have to keep an open mind this season. We have a **** ton of cap space and I think it's HIGHLY possible this season we'll be making a trade or two to take on players for our one year contracts like Bogs. We have space to hit the floor, and can imagine we'll be looking for deals that will net us a pick or so.

This roster can easily change depending on how teams feel about their signings come December/January. Teams can, and will become desperate to rid themselves of salary now that the 2017 space is lower than expected. We can easily take on contracts and still have room for a max player next offseason.

Return to Brooklyn Nets