Rookie
And1: 229

Re: Official Caris LeVert Thread 

Post#321 » by hood30 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:30 am

Net Sentence wrote:
hood30 wrote:
Net Sentence wrote:
I agree with the underlined sector.

I've slowly come under the same conclusion...Marks is not really trying to win. This year is more to set up the team for the future.
This is why he probably not that bothered by the terrifying-bad projected starting 5 of Lin/Bogs/RHJ/Booker/Lopez.

The Nets projected starting 5 has got to be the worst looking starting 5 in the league...No shooters...no one that can create his own shot beside Lin, who is not great at it.

As a Lin fan, that has to be a bit worrisome because Lin is in his prime and even if he puts up decent stats like 16/6, he will still be regarded as a back-up because he's not good enough to improve a team..

Problem is, this Nets team is not clearly better..While Lin is an upgrade on Jack...Booker is a down-grade to Thad Young..So it's arguable that they didn't get better..They got better at one position but got worse in another position.

Marks was better off keeping Thad.

People are in denial about how bad we are going to be and how poorly Marks built the roster. Lin was a good get, I'll give Marks that but Lin is here because of Atkinson and not Marks.

Marks didnt get rid of Thad for a younger player or a better shooter. Booker is both older and a worse shooter than Thad. He is also undersized just like Thad. Booker is only here because he played with Marks in Washington.

I see the blog trying to sell us that the "culture" has changed but that is laughable. How are we building a "culture" if no one has more then a 2 year commitment? SMH Im tired of all of the hyperbole being thrown around about "culture" and "vision" and "not the same old Nets" at the same time they plan to throw out a subpar product out on the floor. Shooting is still a huge issue as well as defense. It's going to be hard to win when both the offense and defense sucks.

The Trevor Booker move is really where Marks got it wrong..As you stated, nothing wrong with moving Thad, but to move him for a guy that is a year older and is a worst fit for Brook Lopez?

I wanted Thad Young to be moved simply because I felt in this new age of NBA spread-out system, it would be best to replace him with someone that can actually stretch the floor and shoot 3's, to give Lopez more room to operate in the paint.

Also, with Lin tendency of trying to get into the lane, a stretch-4 would also open up more space for Lin...But of course, the problem is Booker is a down-grade as an outside shooter to Thad..So Marks did terrible there.

At this point, since Marks is not trying to win or at least compete for the 8th playoff seat, why even start Booker....Why not go with McCollough and see if he can develop into a stretch-4.

Booker got $9M, so I guess he's a lock to start, but at this very moment, since he's not going to make much of a difference, you might as well go with your raw talent and see if you can get lucky with one of them.
Ror1997
Analyst
And1: 911

Post#322 » by Ror1997 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:58 am

Net Sentence wrote:
Ror1997 wrote:You're 100% right. Marks doesn't care about the teams short term success. He cares about the long term success.

Does he? Did anyone he signed get a 3rd year? SMH He did nothing to make us better long term or short term. But hey, he tried. :nonono:

Stop being petty. The guys worth keeping for our future were ordered 4 year deals. Lin got a 3 year deal. The deals YOU didn't like don't have 3rd years. Because none of them except maybe booker are apart of the long term plan.
Net Sentence
Veteran
And1: 334

Post#323 » by Net Sentence » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:04 am

Ror1997 wrote:
Net Sentence wrote:
Ror1997 wrote:You're 100% right. Marks doesn't care about the teams short term success. He cares about the long term success.

Does he? Did anyone he signed get a 3rd year? SMH He did nothing to make us better long term or short term. But hey, he tried. :nonono:

Stop being petty. The guys worth keeping for our future were ordered 4 year deals. Lin got a 3 year deal. The deals YOU didn't like don't have 3rd years. Because none of them except maybe booker are apart of the long term plan.

I dont know what ordered 4 year deals means?

Lin has a player option for a 3rd year. If he plays well he can opt out. Marks has no control of that 3rd year.

Im calling you out for saying things backed by nothing. You said he was making us better long term and that isnt true. Dont get mad because I easily proved that. Now you are agreeing with me. So if he didnt make us better long term, and he didnt make us better short term then how the hell are you still saying he is doing a good job? He couldnt have done worse.
Ror1997
Analyst
And1: 911

Post#324 » by Ror1997 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:44 am

Net Sentence wrote:
Ror1997 wrote:
Net Sentence wrote:

Lin has a player option for a 3rd year. If he plays well he can opt out. Marks has no control of that 3rd year.

Im calling you out for saying things backed by nothing. You said he was making us better long term and that isnt true. Dont get mad because I easily proved that. Now you are agreeing with me. So if he didnt make us better long term, and he didnt make us better short term then how the hell are you still saying he is doing a good job? He couldnt have done worse.

obviously an autocorrect mistake, once again, stop being petty.

Lin signed a 3 year deal. Even if he has a player option its still a 3 year deal. If he took less to play here and likes playing here ( something marks is working on...making this an enjoyable place to play) then why wouldn't he opt in?

I don't know what words you're trying to put into my mouth but I am in no shape or form agreeing with you. I'm not making empty statements and you simply haven't proved Jack sh*t. When I do prove anything to you, you ignore me. And you twist every little thing into your conspiracy theory and then be little anybody who doesn't agree with you. I'm calling you out for that.
Curns13
Pro Prospect
And1: 267

Post#325 » by Curns13 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:11 am

Ror1997 wrote:
Net Sentence wrote:
Ror1997 wrote:

obviously an autocorrect mistake, once again, stop being petty.

Lin signed a 3 year deal. Even if he has a player option its still a 3 year deal. If he took less to play here and likes playing here ( something marks is working on...making this an enjoyable place to play) then why wouldn't he opt in?

I don't know what words you're trying to put into my mouth but I am in no shape or form agreeing with you. I'm not making empty statements and you simply haven't proved Jack sh*t. When I do prove anything to you, you ignore me. And you twist every little thing into your conspiracy theory and then be little anybody who doesn't agree with you. I'm calling you out for that.

Not sure what any of this has to do with LeVert (especially after Net Sentence went on and on about Lin fans derailing threads) but seeing as we are here, Nets Daily had a roundtable and were talking about Marks performance.

Here are some of the things a number of different members of the media said: "I woulf give Marks a B", "I think the Nets did a fine job, overall, given their situation", "Past that (missing out on RFAs), Marks did a great job in his first go at free agency", "I think the Nets did sneakily good at the draft" and "I'd give them a B-". As well as comments from other journo's about Lin being the steal of free agency and another about Hamilton being a sneaky good under the radar signing.

While I am positive that not all media about our offseason has been positive, there is a huge amount of positivity about Marks' first FA period. But lets ignore all that, they are only professinal basketball analysts after all. What would they know? Net Sentence is 100% correct. Marks' first offseason has been a complete failure and he should be fired immediately.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#326 » by ChokeFasncists » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:32 am

Net Sentence wrote:People are in denial about how bad we are going to be and how poorly Marks built the roster. Lin was a good get, I'll give Marks that but Lin is here because of Atkinson and not Marks.

Marks didnt get rid of Thad for a younger player or a better shooter. Booker is both older and a worse shooter than Thad. He is also undersized just like Thad. Booker is only here because he played with Marks in Washington.

I see the blog trying to sell us that the "culture" has changed but that is laughable. How are we building a "culture" if no one has more then a 2 year commitment? SMH Im tired of all of the hyperbole being thrown around about "culture" and "vision" and "not the same old Nets" at the same time they plan to throw out a subpar product out on the floor. Shooting is still a huge issue as well as defense. It's going to be hard to win when both the offense and defense sucks.

~lol~ After all this talk, I'm beginning to warm up to this roster.

It has some potential if they do all the right moves and maximize everyone's potential. Its bread and butter would be BrookLin. Let's say it works well, Brook averages 23 and Lin 18. The second weapon is Bogs' shooting. Let's say he averages 15. His D sucks, but it's covered by Lin, RHJ and Booker. RHJ and Booker aren't very good offensively, but they are great at finishing. This is the third weapon, run, run, run, easy baskets, slashing, dunks, put backs, Lobs. Let's say they average 12/9 each. (both with an improved jumper)

The bench isn't bad offensively with Vasquez, Foye, Skil, Bennett, Scola, Hamilton, CMC. All capable offensive players for backups, but pretty bad defensively. If Atkinson gets them to play extremely hard to get PT, it might be able to hold the fort.

LeVert is the wild card. If he stays healthy and pans out, excels both ways, could make this roster a lot more versatile.

Ultimately, it's on Atkinson to make it work well. Not gonna be easy, he's a rookie coach and I'm not expecting the best case scenario. But it isn't necessarily all doom and gloom this season. This team pretty much for sure won't make the playoffs but if it competes, it's gonna be nice to watch and be looking forward to the future.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Kaiser30
Senior
And1: 172

Post#327 » by Kaiser30 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:59 pm

Net Sentence wrote:I see the blog trying to sell us that the "culture" has changed but that is laughable. How are we building a "culture" if no one has more then a 2 year commitment? SMH Im tired of all of the hyperbole being thrown around about "culture" and "vision" and "not the same old Nets" at the same time they plan to throw out a subpar product out on the floor.

Right after being hired, Marks made it clear that an organization's culture has a lot to do with the people who are around. And it is not only about the players but especially the staff. That's why Marks brought in a new staff because they will be instrumental in establishing the culture and will likely stick around for several years.
The roster consists of both long-term pieces and journeymen. And even journeymen can help in establishing a certain culture by teaching their approach in preparing for games to the young players. Even if they are only around for a limited amount of time. Kevin Ollie played only one season for OKC before retiring. Nevertheless, KD and Russell have high praise for him to this day because he was a great example for them on how to behave and prepare as a true professional.

Edit:

“Kevin Ollie, he was a game-changer for us,” Durant told ESPN’s Bill Simmons on the B.S. Report during All-Star weekend. Ollie only spent 25 games with the Thunder (after a short run some years earlier with the Sonics), playing a total of 263 minutes and scoring 44 points. Whatever it was, Ollie made an impression on Durant and the rest of the team. “He changed the whole culture, I think. He might not say it, but I think he changed the whole culture in Oklahoma City.”

[...]

The Thunder were 23-59 in the season prior to Ollie’s arrival, then jumped to 50-32 the following season, the team’s second in Oklahoma City after moving from Seattle.

“[Ollie’s] mindset, his professionalism, every single day. And we all watched that, we all wanted to be like that, and it rubbed off on Russell [Westbrook], myself, Jeff Green, James Harden. And you know, everybody that comes through now, there’s a standard you’ve got to live up to as a Thunder player. And that started with Kevin Ollie.”

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2014/02/18/durant-says-kevin-ollie-is-responsible-for-thunders-winning-ways/

So despite being on a short-term deal, Ollie's influence seems to have been massive for the Thunder's development and culture.
Net Sentence
Veteran

Post#328 » by Net Sentence » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:25 pm

Kaiser30 wrote:
Net Sentence wrote:I see the blog trying to sell us that the "culture" has changed but that is laughable. How are we building a "culture" if no one has more then a 2 year commitment? SMH Im tired of all of the hyperbole being thrown around about "culture" and "vision" and "not the same old Nets" at the same time they plan to throw out a subpar product out on the floor.

Right after being hired, Marks made it clear that an organization's culture has a lot to do with the people who are around. And it is not only about the players but especially the staff. That's why Marks brought in a new staff because they will be instrumental in establishing the culture and will likely stick around for several years.
The roster consists of both long-term pieces and journeymen. And even journeymen can help in establishing a certain culture by teaching their approach in preparing for games to the young players. Even if they are only around for a limited amount of time. Kevin Ollie played only one season for OKC before retiring. Nevertheless, KD and Russell have high praise for him to this day because he was a great example for them on how to behave and prepare as a true professional.

That is laughably naive and factually incorrect.

1. We dont have long-term pieces. Here is our salary cap 3 years out
http://www.spotrac.com/nba/brooklyn-nets/cap/2018/

Lin has a player option so the Nets have no control over his situation

RHJ is a RFA (King's guy)
McCullough is a RFA (King's guy)
LeVert and Whitehead are on the books.

That's it. 2 King guys. A second round pick and LeVert. LeVert is the only guy who Marks possibly got for a long term deal. Im not counting on a 2nd rounder being good. Whitehead has to prove it before I say he is part of the long term plan. LeVert better be a Kobe level prospect. People are buying the story that the Nets had him at 11 on their board. I dont. There are two stories you can guarantee every offseason. One is that "so and so team" will say they had their player ranked higher then they picked him. The second is that "so and so player" is in the best shape of his life. Time will tell if Levert is worth it but the bar is set higher on expectations. He isnt going to be measured by what the 20th pick in the draft is suppose to do, he will be measured against what level of player Thad is. The odds are strongly stacked against him.

2. Having a bunch of guys on contract years is a horrible way to build culture. None of these guys have played with each other before. It has a much higher chance of breaking into selfish play then it does of the cohesiveness people are assuming it will be. We did the same thing last year and once we lost Jack and his leadership the team spiraled. Joe Johnson mentioned it when he got to Miami. He said we had a bunch of guys chasing stats. It's going to be the same thing this season. Who is the leader of this locker room? Randy Foye? Luis Scola? :lol: :lol: :lol:

You keep seeing the Spurs culture brought up and it's a god damn joke to compare us to them. It's much easier to have the Spurs culture when you have an all time great there for 20 years to police the locker room. Pop didnt become a genius untill he got Duncan. Saying it's not about the players is a joke. I dont care how professional the players are, without talent you arent winning sht. We only have 3 people on the team who were lottery picks, Lopez(10th), Foye(7th) and Bennett. Bennett is already on his 4th team at 23. Foye was one of the worst players in the NBA last year.

This team is filled with a bunch of late first rounders, 2nd rounders and undrafted players. That means they never really made any money. Culture doesnt change a hunger belly. These guys are going to play extremely selfish as they try to pad their stats for a contract.
Kaiser30
Senior

Post#329 » by Kaiser30 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:02 pm

Net Sentence wrote:That is laughably naive and factually incorrect.

So I'm naive just because I'm not judging prematurely? And you're realistic because you already expect Marks efforts to change the culture to be a massive failure? As mentioned earlier, for now I'm just giving him the benefit of the doubt and will critcize him as soon as it becomes clear he hasn't reached the goals set by himself.
You used to be one of the most optimistic posters here, it's really sad it has changed to the opposite and the point that you're disrespecting my post just for not being super critical.

1. We dont have long-term pieces. Here is our salary cap 3 years out
http://www.spotrac.com/nba/brooklyn-nets/cap/2018/

Lin has a player option so the Nets have no control over his situation

RHJ is a RFA (King's guy)
McCullough is a RFA (King's guy)
LeVert and Whitehead are on the books.

That's it. 2 King guys. A second round pick and LeVert. LeVert is the only guy who Marks possibly got for a long term deal. Im not counting on a 2nd rounder being good. Whitehead has to prove it before I say he is part of the long term plan. LeVert better be a Kobe level prospect. People are buying the story that the Nets had him at 11 on their board. I dont. There are two stories you can guarantee every offseason. One is that "so and so team" will say they had their player ranked higher then they picked him. The second is that "so and so player" is in the best shape of his life. Time will tell if Levert is worth it but the bar is set higher on expectations. He isnt going measured by what the 20th pick in the draft is suppose to do, he will be measured against what level of player Thad is. The odds are strongly stacked against him.

First of all, I was not factually wrong. Because despite not being on a long-term deal, there is zero evidence that some of these players couldn't stick around for longer. Scola and Foye are both on a one-year deal and pretty old, so definitely no long-term pieces. But other than these two, it could be very possible that 5 players or maybe even half of the roster will still be here in 3 or 4 years.
I gave King credit for his draft last year and I'm still convinced that both RHJ and CMC are good prospects. But they are both flawed as well and will need a lot of development which is the responsibility of Marks and Atkinson. So if these players turn out to be really good players, both GMs should get credit for it.

2. Having a bunch of guys on contract years is a horrible way to build culture. None of these guys have played with each other before. It has a much higher chance of breaking into selfish play then it does of the cohesiveness people are assuming it will be. We did the same thing last year and once we lost Jack and his leadership the team spiraled. Joe Johnson mentioned it when he got to Miami. He said we had a bunch of guys chasing stats. It's going to be the same thing this season. Who is the leader of this locker room? Randy Foye? Luis Scola? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Other than Scola and Foye who I have already mentioned, there is only one more player on a one-year deal: Greivis Vasquez. All of the other players have at least a non-guaranteed second year. So this is indeed a difference compared to last year where every player got a player option and made it clear from day one that they were looking to get a big payday in the upcoming free agency bonanza. Bennett, Harris and Kilpatrick are not auditioning for other teams, but for the Nets not to waive them, so they better play according to Atkinson's instructions instead of playing selfishly. They can only get paid two years from now.
But I acknowledge that this is not an ideal situation and we all know this is only one of Marks' backup plans because he would have rather gotten Johnson and Crabbe instead of Vasquez and Foye.

You keep seeing the Spurs culture brought up and it's a god damn joke to compare us to them. It's much easier to have the Spurs culture when you have an all time great there for 20 years to police the locker room. Pop didnt become a genius untill he got Duncan. Saying it's not about the players is a joke. I dont care how professional the players are, without talent you arent winning sht. We only have 3 people on the team who were lottery picks, Lopez(10th), Foye(7th) and Bennett. Bennett is already on his 4th team at 23. Foye was one of the worst players in the NBA last year.

This team is filled with a bunch of late first rounders, 2nd rounders and undrafted players. That means they never really made any money. Culture doesnt change a hunger belly. These guys are going to play extremely selfish as they try to pad their stats for a contract.

Implementing a new culture won't translate into more wins immediately because of course it requires legit players. Nevertheless, it is important to have a system in place which is able to get the best out of the players. The Nets have had a baaad reputation around the league because of a lack of long-term vision. I really can't blame Marks for trying to change this point and re-establish a better recognition. And of course he won't be able to copy the Spurs culture (e.g. not having Tim Duncan) and I really hope he doesn't because it's about developing a Brooklyn culture. But it sure as hell won't be detrimental to know what makes San Antonio so successful, because in no way, Tim Duncan has been the only factor during this process.

Moreover, you should really read Durant's comments about Kevin Ollie which I have added to my last post later.
Net Sentence
Veteran

Post#330 » by Net Sentence » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:09 pm

Kaiser, I like you as a poster and I respect your opinion but the Nets have a ton of guys playing for $ this year

- Bogdanovic is a RFA and had a large buyout to get here. He wants to get paid.
- Kilpatrick contract is unguaranteed and he is making peanuts this year.
- RHJ has a team option next year. I doubt we wouldnt pick him up but it's still a fact
- McCullough also has a team option next year. Same as RHJ
- Bennett is an unrestricted FA. He's playing for $ this year
- Joe Harris has an unguaranteed contract for next season.
- Vasquez is an unrestricted FA
- Scola is an unrestricted FA
- If Yogi makes the team he will also be an UFA
- Foye will be an unrestricted FA.

That is 10 of the 16 players.
Kaiser30
Senior

Post#331 » by Kaiser30 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:37 pm

Net Sentence wrote:Kaiser, I like you as a poster and I respect your opinion

:)

but the Nets have a ton of guys playing for $ this year

- RHJ has a team option next year. I doubt we wouldnt pick him up but it's still a fact

Bennett has a fully non-guaranteed second year as well. Of course, you're right that all of these players do have something to prove in order to get their money next year. But in case of RHJ, CMC, Kilpatrick, Bennett and Harris, the Nets have the final say about their fate and I believe Marks and Atkinson won't make a decision based on empty stats but on whether they are buying into the system and following Atkinson's instructions. At least I hope so. :lol:
Bogie, Vasquez, Scola and Foye indeed have a big incentive to produce numbers and we need to keep an eye on them but let's not judge them prematurely. Every other team has players on expiring deals, but not everyone shoots his team out of games. Hopefully, Atkinson holds these players accountable for playing for themselves instead of for the team.
In case of Yogi, I believe they signed him in order to cut him after training camp and develop him in the D-League. The roster seems to be pretty much set with 15 players on fully-guaranteed deals.

Edit: In case of RHJ and CMC, the Nets already need to make a decision on their 3rd year before the start of this season. But you could also say that they need to use this season in order to audition for their fourth year.
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 359

Post#332 » by jbeachboy » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:10 pm

nets decide rhj and mcculloughs third year?
Kaiser30
Senior

Post#333 » by Kaiser30 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:58 pm

jbeachboy wrote:nets decide rhj and mcculloughs third year?

Quoting Larry Coon's CBA FAQ:

Teams have until the October 31 preceding the player's second regular season to exercise their option for the player's third season. Likewise, they have until the October 31 preceding the player's third regular season to exercise their option for the player's fourth season (see question number 59 for more information on options). If the team invokes both options (keeping the player for all four seasons) and submits a qualifying offer after the fourth season, then the player becomes a restricted free agent (see question number 44 for more information on restricted free agency). If the team declines either option, then the player enters free agency as an unrestricted free agent.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#334 » by ChokeFasncists » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:04 pm

Net Sentence wrote:2. Having a bunch of guys on contract years is a horrible way to build culture. None of these guys have played with each other before. It has a much higher chance of breaking into selfish play then it does of the cohesiveness people are assuming it will be. We did the same thing last year and once we lost Jack and his leadership the team spiraled. Joe Johnson mentioned it when he got to Miami. He said we had a bunch of guys chasing stats. It's going to be the same thing this season. Who is the leader of this locker room? Randy Foye? Luis Scola? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lin's a pretty good leader. He's older now, is more proven, has seen more and has played well in the postseason. Big egos like Melo and Harden didn't want to let him be, but this group should be fine.

If well managed it could be a good thing. Lucky thing is that all the core players (BrookLin, RHJ, Booker, LeVert) are under contract, the only ones who might play selfishly are potential bench players. Atkinson could surely reduce their PT if they play selfishly. Play hard, all out, team ball or you don't play, that would work wonders. Sorta like the Doc led Magic.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
brook
Senior
And1: 115

Post#335 » by brook » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:19 am

Net Sentence wrote:Kaiser, I like you as a poster and I respect your opinion but the Nets have a ton of guys playing for $ this year

RHJ and McCullough are under rookie contract, we have two TO on next two years and QO on final year.
Bennett, Harris and Kilpatrick are under contract next year, guaranteed or non guaranteed don't change anything.
Scola, Bogdanovic, Foye and Vasquez have a one year-deal and I think someone or all are traded at the deadline.

You are looking for any excuse to criticize Marks, but there aren't...
Net Sentence
Veteran

Post#336 » by Net Sentence » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:10 pm

brook wrote:
Net Sentence wrote:Kaiser, I like you as a poster and I respect your opinion but the Nets have a ton of guys playing for $ this year

RHJ and McCullough are under rookie contract, we have two TO on next two years and QO on final year.
Bennett, Harris and Kilpatrick are under contract next year, guaranteed or non guaranteed don't change anything.
Scola, Bogdanovic, Foye and Vasquez have a one year-deal and I think someone or all are traded at the deadline.

Do you read what you post? Because what you wrote makes no sense. SMH
brook
Senior

Post#337 » by brook » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:22 pm

Net Sentence wrote:
brook wrote:

no sense? Guys are under contract with us next year, they don't playing for $$$ this season. And if they play bad, we can cut.
Net Sentence
Veteran

Post#338 » by Net Sentence » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:31 pm

brook wrote:
Net Sentence wrote:
brook wrote:

no sense? Guys are under contract with us next year, they don't playing for $$$ this season. And if they play bad, we can cut.

If guys are playing this year without a guarantee for next season then that means they are playing for $ like my original post said. It was kind of the whole point of my post. :lol:
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#339 » by kamaze » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:51 pm

Sean Marks couldn't possibly be making a smart move by giving him a on year deal.

He’s great, a workout/developmental guy. We worked a lot of hours,’’ Scola said. "I had a lot of fun working with him. He’s a good coach and good person and am happy to play for him."

"They’re really trying to develop a good future with a lot of young players and they felt they needed balance. They thought I could help. I thought I could help. At first, they didn’t win a lot of games last year — I was like maybe not a good feeling. But I started talking and looking from another perspective."

The feeling is mutual. At Wednesday’s press conference, Atkinson said of Scola: "I was with him in Houston, so I know him really well. Again, incredible system fit. He fits the way we want to play. He’ll provide great leadership."
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
brook
Senior

Post#340 » by brook » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:19 pm

Net Sentence wrote:
brook wrote:
Net Sentence wrote:

If guys are playing this year without a guarantee for next season then that means they are playing for $ like my original post said. It was kind of the whole point of my post. :lol:

You write this:

Having a bunch of guys on contract years is a horrible way to build culture. None of these guys have played with each other before. It has a much higher chance of breaking into selfish play then it does of the cohesiveness people are assuming it will be.

Non guaranteed contract is not the same of unrestricted free agent. If you are UFA next year, you play this season for money that 30 franchise can give you.

If you have a non guaranteed contract (at minimum, in this case) you don't play for money, you play for a chance to make the team also next year. Isn't only question of numbers or stats, is a question of your utility in this team. Marks isn't stupid.
Control players with TO or not guaranteed contract is a good thing for all teams and everyone, except for you :lol:

Return to Brooklyn Nets