ImageImageImageImageImage

The Cyclone - The Isaiah Whitehead Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

ignisyon
Ballboy
And1: 7

Re: The Isaiah Whitehead Official Thread 

Post#201 » by ignisyon » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:01 pm

He's gotten a lot better at passing off of the pick and roll and making better decisions, which is great. His overall decision making has been quicker too recently.

But I do think Whitehead may have to tinker with his shooting form a little. His shot selection isn't that bad, but there are some times where he absolutely bricks open looks and other times where contested shots look smooth.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#202 » by Prokorov » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:21 pm

Whitehead is sitll learning to be a PG. at seton hall he wasnt really a point gaurd he was just the only guy who could actually dribble shoot or score. so he always had the rock
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#203 » by Paradise » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:09 pm

Dunk Of The Year candidate.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Lead Assistant
And1: 277

Post#204 » by 624 » Wed Mar 8, 2017 3:45 am

What do you guys think Whitehead 's ceiling is? I'm thinking Oladipo

Sent from my SM-G920V using RealGM mobile app
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#205 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Mar 8, 2017 6:44 am

624 wrote:What do you guys think Whitehead 's ceiling is? I'm thinking Oladipo

I have been tracking Whitehead all year cause he rated high in my draft model, one thing that could help him is he could end up being a good shooter. He projected as one of the better shooters in the draft for me cause although his 36.5% in college was good not great, it was on a really high volume (8.1 attempts per 40 minutes) with a solid 76% FT. This year he's been tracking upwards, he's at 33% from 3 for the year but 36% in 2017 and 40% since the ASB. His FT% has followed a similar trend at 84% for the year, 89% in 2017 and 93% after the ASB. Based on this it wouldn't be that surprising if he turned into a 36%+ player

His advanced stats for the year are pretty horrible so I'm not going to say he's a guarantee to be good, but I think his upside is pretty high just cause he's shown potential to be a good driver to the basket (I believe he gets to the basket the most of rookie guards), he has potential to shoot 3s, he has potential to defend, he has potential to get assists, there's not a lot that you can say he for sure he won't be able to do. But he wouldn't be the first player who couldn't translate tools into production
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,842

Post#206 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Mar 8, 2017 3:21 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:

I have been tracking Whitehead all year cause he rated high in my draft model, one thing that could help him is he could end up being a good shooter. He projected as one of the better shooters in the draft for me cause although his 36.5% in college was good not great, it was on a really high volume (8.1 attempts per 40 minutes) with a solid 76% FT. This year he's been tracking upwards, he's at 33% from 3 for the year but 36% in 2017 and 40% since the ASB. His FT% has followed a similar trend at 84% for the year, 89% in 2017 and 93% after the ASB. Based on this it wouldn't be that surprising if he turned into a 36%+ player

His advanced stats for the year are pretty horrible so I'm not going to say he's a guarantee to be good, but I think his upside is pretty high just cause he's shown potential to be a good driver to the basket (I believe he gets to the basket the most of rookie guards), he has potential to shoot 3s, he has potential to defend, he has potential to get assists, there's not a lot that you can say he for sure he won't be able to do. But he wouldn't be the first player who couldn't translate tools into production

I think that he is definitely on his way to being a 3+D combo guard. But his driving ability is something that is underrated and underused. I think he has the chops to be a decent scorer as well in the future.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
sprost
Sophomore
And1: 40

Post#207 » by sprost » Wed Mar 8, 2017 3:59 pm

I think Whitehead finally won me over last game.

I continue with my opinion that he doesn't show me anything in potential that he'll ever be, or should be considered worth investment in as, a starting NBA PG due to decisionmaking/ballhandling-handles/overall BB IQ...
But he played like a champ after mistakes and showed, as much as I think athleticism is oft overrated, that his athleticism/attitude (dare I say grit)/driving ability etc. does indeed make a difference and perhaps he could be someday that starting NBA SG/quality 6th man.
2k15
Pro Prospect
And1: 193

Post#208 » by 2k15 » Wed Mar 8, 2017 6:27 pm

Read on Twitter

SMH
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#209 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Mar 8, 2017 7:12 pm

2k15 wrote:
Read on Twitter

SMH

:lol:

kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#210 » by kamaze » Wed Mar 8, 2017 9:14 pm

sprost wrote:I think Whitehead finally won me over last game.

I continue with my opinion that he doesn't show me anything in potential that he'll ever be, or should be considered worth investment in as, a starting NBA PG due to decisionmaking/ballhandling-handles/overall BB IQ...
But he played like a champ after mistakes and showed, as much as I think athleticism is oft overrated, that his athleticism/attitude (dare I say grit)/driving ability etc. does indeed make a difference and perhaps he could be someday that starting NBA SG/quality 6th man.

He's not a point guard he's a combo guard the team could utilize him best off the bench with another ball handler. The same with Lin in the starting lineup.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
shakendfries
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,063

Post#211 » by shakendfries » Wed Mar 8, 2017 11:38 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:

I made the argument earlier this season that in terms of ceiling I could see peak Brandon Roy as Whitehead's ceiling.

shakendfries wrote:
Roy Tarpley wrote:What do people think about iHead's ceiling?

There was a big discussion about whether KA should've allowed iHead to take those FTs in the Clippers games, and the importance of development.

But I'm not sure whether iHead is worth developing. He shot 37% and 38% in his two years at Seton Hall -- I can't think of another player who shot sub-40% in college and became a decent NBA player.

Certainly, Isaiah's defense seems solid. So is his ceiling someone like Patrick Beverley or Marcus Smart?

I think Whitehead's ceiling could be as high as peak Brandon Roy

Brandon is not so different from Tim Duncan in that he plays the game with strong fundamentals. He may not be flashy, but he always manages to get the job done.

While Roy is average in the speed department, he's a crafty player who uses his high basketball I.Q. to make plays.

Even though Roy is probably better known for his deadly jumper, he can do it all on offense. Lacking the quick first-step of some of the elite slashers in the NBA, Roy uses deliberate moves to fake or lull opponents as he changes gears and passes them by.

With great vision capable of spotting the smallest lanes to exploit, defenses cannot afford to sleep on him or he will make them pay.

When defenses collapse on him, Brandon patiently finds routes to maneuver around as he attacks the basket. Once near the rim, Roy is proficient with both hands and is creative enough to score with a mixture of moves.

I could see the same from Whitehead. He has solid PG fundamentals in terms of finding his teammates. As he improves on his shot creation & finishing at an NBA level, I don't think it'll be long till he finds the range like he did at Seton Hall.

With the way the Marks is building the team with bigs capable of spacing the floor, Whitehead's potential is in his ability to create for himself and others with his modest athleticism as a slasher. And there's no better example than that of Brandon Roy.
ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#212 » by NyCeEvO » Wed Mar 8, 2017 11:40 pm

Whoa, peak Brandon Roy was a boss who went toe to toe with Kobe. Let's pump the brakes on that ceiling. We're just happy that he was/is top 10 on the rookie ladder lol.
shakendfries
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,063

Post#213 » by shakendfries » Wed Mar 8, 2017 11:47 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:Whoa, peak Brandon Roy was a boss who went toe to toe with Kobe. Let's pump the brakes on that ceiling. We're just happy that he was/is top 10 on the rookie ladder lol.

:D
ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
Roy Tarpley
Veteran
And1: 987

Post#214 » by Roy Tarpley » Thu Mar 9, 2017 12:35 am

Yeah, I see no basis for comparing IW to Roy. I still think Marcus Smart, Patrick Beverley, or Randy Foye is the peak ceiling. Compare Foye's numbers to Whitehead's, they're very similar.
Paradise

Post#215 » by Paradise » Thu Mar 9, 2017 12:40 am

NyCeEvO wrote:Whoa, peak Brandon Roy was a boss who went toe to toe with Kobe. Let's pump the brakes on that ceiling. We're just happy that he was/is top 10 on the rookie ladder lol.

He's got some of his moves atleast.

Read on Twitter

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#216 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Mar 9, 2017 1:14 am

Comparing him to Roy is a massive comparison. Roy was a top 25 player before injuries cut his career short.

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#217 » by Prokorov » Thu Mar 9, 2017 1:39 pm

whitehead is fitting in nicely. he now has a mroe defined role and less on his shoulders and it is showing. he can just come in and play hard with that chip on his shoulder and be aggressive for 10-15 mintues a night. thats the roll he can thrive in
All Nets
Sophomore
And1: 75

Post#218 » by All Nets » Thu Mar 9, 2017 2:27 pm

Whitehead had a nice spin move finish on one of the ATL bigs last night. His ability to finish has improved quite a bit. But his awareness needs to improve. There's no stat out there but I'm pretty sure he's up there for offensive fouls on the Nets. If the lane isn't there for him, he needs to either kick back out or trust his mid-range.
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#219 » by kamaze » Thu Mar 9, 2017 2:35 pm

All Nets wrote:Whitehead had a nice spin move finish on one of the ATL bigs last night. His ability to finish has improved quite a bit. But his awareness needs to improve. There's no stat out there but I'm pretty sure he's up there for offensive fouls on the Nets. If the lane isn't there for him, he needs to either kick back out or trust his mid-range.

He's a rookie damn we're some tough critics.
Can you blame him for trying to make something happen? He's at his best attacking the lane.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
Paradise

Post#220 » by Paradise » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:34 am

Return to Brooklyn Nets