ImageImageImageImageImage

Best Lineups and PT Distribution

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Von Bismarck
Pro Prospect
And1: 651

Re: RE: Re: Best Lineups and PT Distribution 

Post#161 » by Von Bismarck » Mon Sep 5, 2016 11:33 am

MrDollarBills wrote:RHJ is not coming off of the bench.

Here in the NY/NJ area the Nets already have radio commercials about the team, and 3 names were mentioned:

Brook Lopez
Jeremy Lin
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson

he's not sitting bench, and every metric i've seen says that the team would be insane to bring him off of the bench, spacing be damned.

Sorry for interrupting your discussion but there was an interview with Bojan in Croatian newspaper where he talked a lot about Nets, his situation, new coach and so on. Basically, he said he's been on the line with Atkinson every couple days or so and that Atkinson counts on Bojan, Brook and Lin as core players. Basically starters that will get biggest share of the shots.

Does that mean Bojan starts at 2 and RHJ at 3 or that Bojan starts at 3, I have no idea. I thought you'd find this info interesting.
reelsgm
Junior
And1: 71

Post#162 » by reelsgm » Mon Sep 5, 2016 12:48 pm

Von Bismarck wrote:

Here in the NY/NJ area the Nets already have radio commercials about the team, and 3 names were mentioned:

Brook Lopez
Jeremy Lin
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson

he's not sitting bench, and every metric i've seen says that the team would be insane to bring him off of the bench, spacing be damned.

Sorry for interrupting your discussion but there was an interview with Bojan in Croatian newspaper where he talked a lot about Nets, his situation, new coach and so on. Basically, he said he's been on the line with Atkinson every couple days or so and that Atkinson counts on Bojan, Brook and Lin as core players. Basically starters that will get biggest share of the shots.

Does that mean Bojan starts at 2 and RHJ at 3 or that Bojan starts at 3, I have no idea. I thought you'd find this info interesting.

Bogs fits perfectly with Chris Fleming's 4-out-1-in motion offense, can't imagine he won't start. Scola also stretches the floor but per Kenny he will be fighting for a starting spot against Booker. Booker and RHJ essentially fill the same defensive role with Booker having the better outside jumper. Wouldn't surprise me to see RHJ come off the bench.
"I don't like the word REBUILD... I know Kenny and everyone at some point that word has floated around... I want it to happen NOW" - JLIN
hood30
Rookie
And1: 229

Post#163 » by hood30 » Mon Sep 5, 2016 2:41 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
hood30 wrote:
Roy Tarpley wrote:
You're running a little loose there with words. This lack of precision is what undercuts your arguments.

I guaranteed that Booker will have a high volume this year, NOT that he will have good volume AND shoot 35%. 35% is aspirational.

I don't reject Scola, I reject that Scola is "clearly" the better fit offensively than Booker, which is what you said. If you said Scola is "arguably" a better fit offensively, that is defensible.

Anyways, I enjoy this Booker vs. Scola argument, it's helping to tide us over until the start of the preseason!

As for court spacing and keeping defenses honest, Scola is clearly the better fit because he's more likely to hit the 3PT shot than Booker.

Now, as I've stated, Booker may be the better rebounder and defender BUT he will destroy your spacing because he won't be a better shooter than Scola.

This is specially important for this Brooklyn team who already lacks legit shooters in their projected starting-5...

I've always stated that I wouldn't mind Booker starting if Lin/Bogs and RHJ were good 3PT shooters...But when you can only count on Bogs as a reliable good outside shooter, you can't have a guy like Booker starting.

So to answer your question, Booker is a terrible fit for a team that already lacks good perimeter shooters...

Brooklyn has the same problem that the Chicago Bulls will have..Butler, Rondo and Wade don't think enough 3PT shot and are career average from 3's.....But the difference is these 3 are proven and legit NBA players...unlike Booker/Bogs/RHJ.

I agree with the poster who stated that if you start RHJ, you can't start Booker..and vice versa...If Atkinson decide to start Booker, you can't start RHJ alongside him....I won't be surprise if Atkinson decided to bring one of RHJ/Booker off the bench simply because these 2 hurts court spacing.

RHJ is not coming off of the bench.

Brook Lopez
Jeremy Lin
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson

Well, that's exactly the problem with Brooklyn...They have no flexibility on who they can start..Atkinson is basically handcuffed into starting a unit that can't spread the floor with little shooting from 3PT range.

I agree with you that RHJ has to start simply because he's already the best wing defender on the team that could use one, specially with Bogs being a bad defender...But Booker is also a lock because he's getting paid $9M per...eventhough his career stats of "6ppg/5rebound" per suggest that he shouldn't be a lock to start for any team..If he's a lock-starter for your team, that's a problem

You know your team is in big trouble when you are basically forced to start a career back-up like Booker who is not known as a good outside shooter..You better pray McCollough breaks out or Scola has something left in his tank...or maybe a guy like Hamilton can play PF alongside Lopez.

My hope is Atkinson will allow competition for the PF spot..If Booker perform best during the preseason games, he should start...It could be that Booker becomes the default starter simply because everyone else is no better than he is.

Booker will be competing against a bunches of "nobodies"..Scola is 36yo..McCollough is very raw...Hamilton played in Europe..Bennett is a D-Leaguer...So Booker should love his odds, but as a Nets fan, that should cause you great lamentation that Booker will start for your team that already lacks shooters.

If McCollough shows any ability as a shooter and can look decent on defense, I'd rather start him..same with Scola or Hamilton...Make it a fair competition, but I'm not certain that will happen with Booker's money...He'll probably start no matter what happens during preseason.
Roy Tarpley
Veteran
And1: 987

Post#164 » by Roy Tarpley » Mon Sep 5, 2016 3:44 pm

hood30 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
hood30 wrote:
As for court spacing and keeping defenses honest, Scola is clearly the better fit because he's more likely to hit the 3PT shot than Booker.

Now, as I've stated, Booker may be the better rebounder and defender BUT he will destroy your spacing because he won't be a better shooter than Scola.

This is specially important for this Brooklyn team who already lacks legit shooters in their projected starting-5...

I've always stated that I wouldn't mind Booker starting if Lin/Bogs and RHJ were good 3PT shooters...But when you can only count on Bogs as a reliable good outside shooter, you can't have a guy like Booker starting.

So to answer your question, Booker is a terrible fit for a team that already lacks good perimeter shooters...

Brooklyn has the same problem that the Chicago Bulls will have..Butler, Rondo and Wade don't think enough 3PT shot and are career average from 3's.....But the difference is these 3 are proven and legit NBA players...unlike Booker/Bogs/RHJ.

I agree with the poster who stated that if you start RHJ, you can't start Booker..and vice versa...If Atkinson decide to start Booker, you can't start RHJ alongside him....I won't be surprise if Atkinson decided to bring one of RHJ/Booker off the bench simply because these 2 hurts court spacing.

Brook Lopez
Jeremy Lin
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson

Well, that's exactly the problem with Brooklyn...They have no flexibility on who they can start..Atkinson is basically handcuffed into starting a unit that can't spread the floor with little shooting from 3PT range.

I agree with you that RHJ has to start simply because he's already the best wing defender on the team that could use one, specially with Bogs being a bad defender...But Booker is also a lock because he's getting paid $9M per...eventhough his career stats of "6ppg/5rebound" per suggest that he shouldn't be a lock to start for any team..If he's a lock-starter for your team, that's a problem

You know your team is in big trouble when you are basically forced to start a career back-up like Booker who is not known as a good outside shooter..You better pray McCollough breaks out or Scola has something left in his tank...or maybe a guy like Hamilton can play PF alongside Lopez.

My hope is Atkinson will allow competition for the PF spot..If Booker perform best during the preseason games, he should start...It could be that Booker becomes the default starter simply because everyone else is no better than he is.

Booker will be competing against a bunches of "nobodies"..Scola is 36yo..McCollough is very raw...Hamilton played in Europe..Bennett is a D-Leaguer...So Booker should love his odds, but as a Nets fan, that should cause you great lamentation that Booker will start for your team that already lacks shooters.

If McCollough shows any ability as a shooter and can look decent on defense, I'd rather start him..same with Scola or Hamilton...Make it a fair competition, but I'm not certain that will happen with Booker's money...He'll probably start no matter what happens during preseason.

I'm not sure why there is such hand-wringing for Booker. He'll be the starter and he'll be fantastic. Atkinson is not "handcuffed" into starting Booker, I get the sense that Marks "deliberately" intended to start Booker based on the contract amount.

Booker is already the #2 best defensive player on the team, hands down. His defensive prowess plus RHJ's lockdown abilities plus Lin and Lopez providing decent defense -- I'm excited already about the defensive character of the team.

Offensively, Booker will provide the necessary spacing, as that recent video of him knocking down 11 straight 3pters suggests. Sure, it's just practice and not real game situation but it shows the potential that Booker has.

I don't understand why people are hung up on Booker being a career backup -- he's started 28% of his career games. It's like no one understands the concept of potential or extrapolation. It's this weird Catch-22 where you're not a legit starter unless you've demonstrated that you're a legit starter!

McCullough is not even close to starting, he has no track record. Same thing for Bennett or Hamilton. Scola is the only other decent candidate but he's a defensive crime against humanity, and 36 yrs old. Even on offense, Scola is not like Steve Novak, who has been a 40+% 3pt shooter for many years. Scola shot 40% one year.

Booker will give 10pts/7reb and 200+ 3pt at 34%, and stellar defense. This is EXACTLY what the Nets need -- why the hand-wringing?
hood30
Rookie

Post#165 » by hood30 » Mon Sep 5, 2016 4:36 pm

Roy Tarpley wrote:
hood30 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Brook Lopez
Jeremy Lin
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson

I'm not sure why there is such hand-wringing for Booker. He'll be the starter and he'll be fantastic. Atkinson is not "handcuffed" into starting Booker, I get the sense that Marks "deliberately" intended to start Booker based on the contract amount.

Booker is already the #2 best defensive player on the team, hands down. His defensive prowess plus RHJ's lockdown abilities plus Lin and Lopez providing decent defense -- I'm excited already about the defensive character of the team.

Offensively, Booker will provide the necessary spacing, as that recent video of him knocking down 11 straight 3pters suggests. Sure, it's just practice and not real game situation but it shows the potential that Booker has.

I don't understand why people are hung up on Booker being a career backup -- he's started 28% of his career games. It's like no one understands the concept of potential or extrapolation. It's this weird Catch-22 where you're not a legit starter unless you've demonstrated that you're a legit starter!

McCullough is not even close to starting, he has no track record. Same thing for Bennett or Hamilton. Scola is the only other decent candidate but he's a defensive crime against humanity, and 36 yrs old. Even on offense, Scola is not like Steve Novak, who has been a 40+% 3pt shooter for many years. Scola shot 40% one year.

Booker will give 10pts/7reb and 200+ 3pt at 34%, and stellar defense. This is EXACTLY what the Nets need -- why the hand-wringing?

I can't take the youtube video showing him draining 3's seriously..I think you're putting too much into this video as proof Booker will be good at shooting...The other players haven't released videos of them draining 3's..does that mean Booker will be better at it than them, eventhough it was during a practice session with no pressure, unguarded and no real game situation scenario...That's a huge difference, my friend.

Booker past history and stats gives us a better hint on what he'll do in the future instead of a youtube video..The key stats for Booker is the fact that a strong proportion of his FG attempt are within 5 feet from the basket..That shows his comfort zone...The reason he's only made 30something 3PT shot " in 9 years" is because he's not that comfortable or not confident enough at taking them during real game pressure situation.

Booker second damning stats is the fact that in general, he's not a good jump-shooter...as is shown by the fact that he's bad at hitting simple 10 foot jump shots...He's not good at jump shots..He's an opportunist dunker...A smaller version of Shaq..with a better jump shot.

I think these 2 stats should hold more weight than a training youtube video....until Booker can prove us wrong..He'll have his chance in preseason.

I want to see Booker knock down some 3's consistently in preseason..Let's see if he can do it.
Roy Tarpley
Veteran

Post#166 » by Roy Tarpley » Mon Sep 5, 2016 5:09 pm

hood30 wrote:
Roy Tarpley wrote:
hood30 wrote:

I can't take the youtube video showing him draining 3's seriously..I think you're putting too much into this video as proof Booker will be good at shooting...The other players haven't released videos of them draining 3's..does that mean Booker will be better at it than them, eventhough it was during a practice session with no pressure, unguarded and no real game situation scenario...That's a huge difference, my friend.

Booker past history and stats gives us a better hint on what he'll do in the future instead of a youtube video..The key stats for Booker is the fact that a strong proportion of his FG attempt are within 5 feet from the basket..That shows his comfort zone...The reason he's only made 30something 3PT shot " in 9 years" is because he's not that comfortable or not confident enough at taking them during real game pressure situation.

Booker second damning stats is the fact that in general, he's not a good jump-shooter...as is shown by the fact that he's bad at hitting simple 10 foot jump shots...He's not good at jump shots..He's an opportunist dunker...A smaller version of Shaq..with a better jump shot.

I think these 2 stats should hold more weight than a training youtube video....until Booker can prove us wrong..He'll have his chance in preseason.

I want to see Booker knock down some 3's consistently in preseason..Let's see if he can do it.

I'm not putting too much weight into the video -- it is only one of many points that cumulatively point to Booker as having the POTENTIAL to serve the stretch four role. That's why I use words like "suggests" instead of "proves."

I don't discount his jump shooter stats though I'd want to see other people's relative jumpshooting stats to make a real comparison. Lots of good 3pt shooters can't hit their FTs, like Parsons.

I don't know why you give so much credence to McCullough and give no benefit of the doubt to Booker.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#167 » by Prokorov » Tue Sep 6, 2016 3:21 pm

Von Bismarck wrote:

Brook Lopez
Jeremy Lin
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson

both bojan and rhj will start. its a lock

lin, rhj, bogs, booker, lopez are starting barring injuries. this was never really in question. as far as who the team promotes... thats a different story. they will even push guys like whitehead.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#168 » by Prokorov » Tue Sep 6, 2016 3:24 pm

reelsgm wrote:
Von Bismarck wrote:

Brook Lopez
Jeremy Lin
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson

Bogs fits perfectly with Chris Fleming's 4-out-1-in motion offense, can't imagine he won't start. Scola also stretches the floor but per Kenny he will be fighting for a starting spot against Booker. Booker and RHJ essentially fill the same defensive role with Booker having the better outside jumper. Wouldn't surprise me to see RHJ come off the bench.

this team lacks EVERYTHING.... there is no lineup that fits together, any combination has multiple big time flaws...

the only thing that makes sense is to put the 5 best guys out there. and thats lin, bogs, rhj, booker, and lopez. yes defensive issues, yes shooting issues, yes scoring issues. but its the lineup with the best chance to keep games close withthem playing hard.
Roy Tarpley
Veteran

Post#169 » by Roy Tarpley » Tue Sep 6, 2016 3:44 pm

Prokorov wrote:
reelsgm wrote:
Von Bismarck wrote:

this team lacks EVERYTHING.... there is no lineup that fits together, any combination has multiple big time flaws...

the only thing that makes sense is to put the 5 best guys out there. and thats lin, bogs, rhj, booker, and lopez. yes defensive issues, yes shooting issues, yes scoring issues. but its the lineup with the best chance to keep games close withthem playing hard.

A bit pessimistic outlook. The Nets have good starting lineup scoring in Lopez, Lin, and Bogs. Good defense except for Bogs. Ability to play post up with Lopez or run and gun with Booker and RHJ. The starters are a bit weak on 3s -- a lot will depend on Booker. I wish the starters had a secondary ballhandler/playmaker. The real weakness is the bench, I think -- there's no defense and lots of unproven players.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,846

Post#170 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Sep 6, 2016 4:02 pm

Von Bismarck wrote:

Brook Lopez
Jeremy Lin
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson

hey thanks for the info :nod:

It doesn't really matter, more than likely Bojan will be considered the 2 guard and will draw the least difficult match up defensively. Kenny already said that he has RHJ as the 3 man.

Bojan really, really needs to bring the level of play that we saw from him in the olympics.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#171 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Sep 6, 2016 4:06 pm

reelsgm wrote:
Von Bismarck wrote:

Brook Lopez
Jeremy Lin
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson

RHJ is not coming off of the bench :lol: did you see him play last year? When he was on the floor the Nets were a better team hands down and he was displaying near elite defensive impact. He will see 28-32 mins a night on the wing. Booker isn't going to set in and check the opponent's best perimeter player either.

CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Re: Best Lineups and PT Distribution 

Post#172 » by CalamityX12 » Tue Sep 6, 2016 4:07 pm

Bojan is gonna need an Oxygen tank for the season... lol
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#173 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Sep 6, 2016 4:08 pm

Prokorov wrote:
reelsgm wrote:
Von Bismarck wrote:

If Bojan brings the type of play we saw from him towards last season's tail end and in the Olympics, and if Booker can knock down those corner 3 looks that starting 5 will be alright but thats a big big if.

Prokorov
RealGM

Post#174 » by Prokorov » Tue Sep 6, 2016 5:08 pm

Roy Tarpley wrote:
A bit pessimistic outlook. The Nets have good starting lineup scoring in Lopez, Lin, and Bogs. Good defense except for Bogs. Ability to play post up with Lopez or run and gun with Booker and RHJ. The starters are a bit weak on 3s -- a lot will depend on Booker. I wish the starters had a secondary ballhandler/playmaker. The real weakness is the bench, I think -- there's no defense and lots of unproven players.

I wouldnt confuse pessimism for a realistic observation on a team that just currently isnt very good at all. Nothing wrong with that. its gonna be a 3-5 year process.

The nets absolutely do NOT have a good scoring starting lineup. you have 1 guy you can ignore in RHJ. our only proven range shooter is bogdanovic, who has struggle on the road and with consistency. Lopez is very efficient, but you can bait him into taking jumper and he rarely takes over games offensively... which is magnified by teams playing us straight up, and letting lopez get his 25 points in a nets loss.

there isnt a single guys teams worry about. lopez can score, but teams arent really concerned, since its not enough to beat them. the starting lineup has 1 proven shooter(bogs) and 1 shooter who should be solid(lin). it has 1 player who can create offense for others.

The nets had the 4th worst offense in the NBA last year, and lost their second leading scorer from that team. Lin probably makes up for that, maybe improves it a tad, but not enough to go from 4th worst to anything good. especially when you factor in the nets worst offensive player (RHJ) will be starting and playing more.

dont get me wrong, i LOVE rhj overall, but he wont help the offense by playing more. overall +/- the team is better, but thats due to his defensive impact and impact on possessions.
Lamak
Assistant Coach
And1: 704

Post#175 » by Lamak » Tue Sep 6, 2016 9:35 pm

Lin/Bog/RHJ/Booker/Lopez

Whitehead/Kilpatrick/Lavert/CMac/Scola

I would run these lineups and see how it plays out.
Brooklyn Nets
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#176 » by Prokorov » Tue Sep 6, 2016 10:12 pm

Lamak wrote:Lin/Bog/RHJ/Booker/Lopez

Whitehead/Kilpatrick/Lavert/CMac/Scola

I would run these lineups and see how it plays out.

no grevis?
hood30
Rookie

Post#177 » by hood30 » Tue Sep 6, 2016 10:30 pm

I think we may get some surprises during the preseason..Can't wait for these games to start so we can start assessing some of these roles players and who's ahead of who.

I'd like to get a closer look at a guy like Hamilton who could be a dark horse...He's printed as a back-up stretch 4, but maybe he could be a stretch-PF...Showned good 3PT range in Europe, so he probably can give you more than Booker when it comes to shooting.

From his highlight clips, he doesn't look like a slow footed guy..He looks agile for his size...Maybe he could be a better fit for the Nets at PF and could probably give Nets a bit more scoring to support Lin/Lopez/Bog but more importantly, to stretch the floor.

I''ll also be looking for a guy like Joe Harris who, according to some shooting competition, shoots very well in compare to his Nets teammates, so maybe he could impress...

If Harris can show he's a legit shooter, he could probably jump ahead of Levert for the time being and be RHJ back-up at SF..Kilpatrick will back-up Bogs.

My rotation

Lin
Bogs
RHJ
Hamilton
Lopez

Bench:
Vasquez
Kilpatrick
Harris
Booker
Scola

Rotational players:
Whitehead
Foyle
Levert
McCollough
Beech
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#178 » by Prokorov » Tue Sep 6, 2016 11:23 pm

hood30 wrote:I think we may get some surprises during the preseason..Can't wait for these games to start so we can start assessing some of these roles players and who's ahead of who.

I'd like to get a closer look at a guy like Hamilton who could be a dark horse...He's printed as a back-up stretch 4, but maybe he could be a stretch-PF...Showned good 3PT range in Europe, so he probably can give you more than Booker when it comes to shooting.

From his highlight clips, he doesn't look like a slow footed guy..He looks agile for his size...Maybe he could be a better fit for the Nets at PF and could probably give Nets a bit more scoring to support Lin/Lopez/Bog but more importantly, to stretch the floor.

I''ll also be looking for a guy like Joe Harris who, according to some shooting competition, shoots very well in compare to his Nets teammates, so maybe he could impress...

If Harris can show he's a legit shooter, he could probably jump ahead of Levert for the time being and be RHJ back-up at SF..Kilpatrick will back-up Bogs.

My rotation

Lin
Bogs
RHJ
Hamilton
Lopez

Bench:
Vasquez
Kilpatrick
Harris
Booker
Scola

Rotational players:
Whitehead
Foyle
Levert
McCollough
Beech

i can see hamilton getting some burn, but honestly i dont see how harris ever plays outside of late game situations or short 1 minute bursts where you need a 3 or diesng an end of quarter/half/game play.

hemmight stretch the floor but he makes you easier to defend since once you run him off the 3 point line he cant hurt you.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#179 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Sep 7, 2016 1:50 pm

I don't see Harris cracking the rotation with RHJ, Bojan, Kilpatrick, and LeVert all needing time.

Vasquez will play over Whitehead.

PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,977

Post#180 » by PerkinsFor3 » Wed Sep 7, 2016 4:39 pm

Roy Tarpley wrote:

200+ 3pt shots I assume?

Return to Brooklyn Nets