ImageImageImageImageImage

GT: Brooklyn Nets @ Toronto Raptors - Friday, 1/13/17 7:30pm.

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Re: GT: Brooklyn Nets @ Toronto Raptors - Friday, 1/13/17 7:30pm. 

Post#121 » by ChokeFasncists » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:00 am

KlicKlac wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:Why did Bogs play in trash time?

Pad the stats?

We all know why. Pad pad pad then trade him to some sucker team lol

TinmanZBoy wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:Why did Bogs play in trash time?

Pad the stats?

tradable asset

And maybe only after Bogs is traded that RHJ will get back to his SF spot and Acy plays backup PF.

The young ones need his PT. LVJ is ready for more. iHead and DVD can play the 2.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#122 » by Paradise » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:29 am

Youngsters usually don't get PT until post all star beak.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,850

Post#123 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:10 pm

Compare the way that Joel Embiid is elevating the Sixers around him and the way Lopez isn't really elevating anyone.

We need to move on. If we're going to lose, i want some pieces to lose with that we can build for tomorrow with. It's pointless to keep him here and his energy has been really trash, part of me can't blame him because he's been a part of so many losing years he's probably just lost his drive and knows he's going to get traded anyway. We competed for 3 qtrs before reality set in but can we say that Lopez really was the reason why were were playing so hard?

I blame the franchise over the years as well. Being apart of a poor culture has poisoned Lopez. It's a shame he wasn't around when we had Kidd, Carter, true professionals instead of what took place since we drafted him. I hope we can find a good team for him to go that can yield us a good return so everyone gets a fresh start.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#124 » by MGrand15 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:00 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Compare the way that Joel Embiid is elevating the Sixers around him and the way Lopez isn't really elevating anyone.

We need to move on. If we're going to lose, i want some pieces to lose with that we can build for tomorrow with. It's pointless to keep him here and his energy has been really trash, part of me can't blame him because he's been a part of so many losing years he's probably just lost his drive and knows he's going to get traded anyway. We competed for 3 qtrs before reality set in but can we say that Lopez really was the reason why were were playing so hard?

I blame the franchise over the years as well. Being apart of a poor culture has poisoned Lopez. It's a shame he wasn't around when we had Kidd, Carter, true professionals instead of what took place since we drafted him. I hope we can find a good team for him to go that can yield us a good return so everyone gets a fresh start.

Embiid is one of the most talented players to ever step foot in the NBA. Currently averaged 28, 10, 4 blocks per 36. Brook couldn't dream of doing that. Comparing them isn't necessary. Philly also has A LOT more talent than we do.

Lopez has probably handled this garbage as well as anyone could. He's been extra frustrated recently but as a whole, he's been a positive influence on the young guys. Often blaming the struggles on himself. But recently he's been bad. How many YEARS has he put up with this though? Teams with absolutely no talent, coaches changing his playstyle, coaches publicly embarrassing him, no short term or long term plan from the organization. This is another year - as a center - where he has NO ONE to give him the ball in the right spots or in easy spots.
Pistolpete1947
Pro Prospect
And1: 143

Post#125 » by Pistolpete1947 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:33 pm

Finally some good pg play. Dinwiddie and Foye combined for 19 pts, 10 assists, 1 TO, 8 rebounds, 43% FG%, 75% 3p%.

Dinwiddie has potential just needs more experience.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#126 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:39 pm

MGrand15 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Compare the way that Joel Embiid is elevating the Sixers around him and the way Lopez isn't really elevating anyone.

Embiid is one of the most talented players to ever step foot in the NBA. Currently averaged 28, 10, 4 blocks per 36. Brook couldn't dream of doing that. Comparing them isn't necessary. Philly also has A LOT more talent than we do.

Lopez has probably handled this garbage as well as anyone could. He's been extra frustrated recently but as a whole, he's been a positive influence on the young guys. Often blaming the struggles on himself. But recently he's been bad. How many YEARS has he put up with this though? Teams with absolutely no talent, coaches changing his playstyle, coaches publicly embarrassing him, no short term or long term plan from the organization. This is another year - as a center - where he has NO ONE to give him the ball in the right spots or in easy spots.

Which is why it's time to let him go. For his own good and ours. This team has paid him well, but frankly stonewalled his basketball career at the same time. I hope someone will give us a decent offer.

Pistolpete1947
Pro Prospect

Post#127 » by Pistolpete1947 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:46 pm

Dinwiddie has more potential than Whitehead IMO. He is better offensively already and just as good defensively. For the team's future they should concentrate more on developing him than IW.
Paradise

Post#128 » by Paradise » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:40 pm

Pistolpete1947 wrote:Dinwiddie has more potential than Whitehead IMO. He is better offensively already and just as good defensively. For the team's future they should concentrate more on developing him than IW.

Whitehead is much more talented. He's quicker, more athletic. I don't see why we need to prioritize one over another. Dinwiddie is more of an MCW.

Pistolpete1947
Pro Prospect

Post#129 » by Pistolpete1947 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:07 pm

Paradise wrote:
Pistolpete1947 wrote:Dinwiddie has more potential than Whitehead IMO. He is better offensively already and just as good defensively. For the team's future they should concentrate more on developing him than IW.

Whitehead is much more talented. He's quicker, more athletic. I don't see why we need to prioritize one over another. Dinwiddie is more of an MCW.

Whitehead is turnover prone and a poor shooter. After the first half-dozen games I see no improvement from him in terms of running the offense despite starting for over 30 games. Dinwiddie runs the offense better even with his limited experience. If he had the opportunity Whitehead has had he'd be light years ahead of him IMO. We need to prioritize because when Lin comes back only one will get the backup minutes. Unless Dinwiddie plays lights out for the next week the backup spot will go to Whitehead. This will be a big mistake for the Net's future.

If you don't agree with me on this just compare their stats so far this year. Dinwiddie's are better even though Whitehead has had tons more playing time than him.
bws94
Head Coach
And1: 1,222

Post#130 » by bws94 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:30 pm

Paradise wrote:

Yes, they're different. Both can be useful. I prefer Whitehead as backup PG and playing alongside Lin as he looks like he's an impressive shot blocker and Lin is also an impressive shot blocking PG. Dw is a good slasher and if his shot is working, he's fine. It just seems Whitehead is closer to running an offense to some degree than Dw, he just doesn't execute out of inexperience.
Paradise

Post#131 » by Paradise » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:37 pm

Pistolpete1947 wrote:
Paradise wrote:

Whitehead is turnover prone and a poor shooter. After the first half-dozen games I see no improvement from him in terms of running the offense despite starting for over 30 games. Dinwiddie runs the offense better even with his limited experience. If he had the opportunity Whitehead has had he'd be light years ahead of him IMO. We need to prioritize because when Lin comes back only one will get the backup minutes. Unless Dinwiddie plays lights out for the next week the backup spot will go to Whitehead. This will be a big mistake for the Net's future.

If you don't agree with me on this just compare their stats so far this year. Dinwiddie's are better even though Whitehead has had tons more playing time than him.

Whitehead is a rookie. A half dozen games when the guy has missed plenty of games as well? Come on man. This is a rebuild. That's not how talent is evaluated. Dinwiddie is a 3rd year guard. I'd hope Dinwiddie looked better than him. We signed him to be the Vasquez replacement. He's been in the league longer despite being only 23.

I'm not going to compare stats because this is a rebuild and both are apart of it. Dinwiddie lost us plenty of chances to win against the Pelicans and finished with 0 points. He's not that good either and while, I'm on board with him as a backup PG prospect. Great size, defensive instincts but the shooting and court vision upside is questionable. Whitehead is definitely has more offensive upside to get better than him.

bws94
Head Coach

Post#132 » by bws94 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:46 pm

Paradise wrote:
Pistolpete1947 wrote:
Paradise wrote:Whitehead is much more talented. He's quicker, more athletic. I don't see why we need to prioritize one over another. Dinwiddie is more of an MCW.

Whitehead is a rookie. A half dozen games when the guy has missed plenty of games as well? Come on man. This is a rebuild. That's not how talent is evaluated. Dinwiddie is a 3rd year guard. I'd hope Dinwiddie looked better than him. We signed him to be the Vasquez replacement. He's been in the league longer despite being only 23.

I'm not going to compare stats because this is a rebuild and both are apart of it. Dinwiddie lost us plenty of chances to win against the Pelicans and finished with 0 points. He's not that good either and while, I'm on board with him as a backup PG prospect. Great size, defensive instincts but the shooting and court vision upside is questionable. Whitehead is definitely has more offensive upside to get better than him.

IMO, Lin made a lot of the same mistakes over a season when he was a Houston Rocket. He made some of the same mistakes in the season after. One of these was jumping in the air on a drive with no outlet and turning the ball over. He hardly does that anymore, but it took awhile for him not to.

As a Lin fan, I apply the same standard I applied to Lin to others with little experience. Let the guy play through repeated errors and expect these errors. Look at his upside and let him play through his mistakes.

I don't feel that an approach that talks about anything less than a season or season and a half with a rookie to see less mistakes, is fair. Whitehead may become a top shot blocker, a strong defensive force against 1s and 2s, a guy who can absorb contact and get to the rim and finish, and he's done excellent on getting TOs and executing fast breaks. These areas Dinwiddie is weaker at. And I also find, while neither Dinwiddie or Whitehead have great vision, Whitehead, per their experience, has more potential. Whitehead actually attempts good passes and sees open guys more, he just messes up executing them. That's part of development.

As a Lin fan, I wish to support Whitehead and want to give him the same leeway for making errors as I think Lin should have received under McHale in Houston. It messed Lin up to mess with his minutes and not let him play through those mistakes, it slowed down his development. I think KA is taking the right approach with Whitehead. And really, Whitehead wasn't supposed to play this much. Lin was supposed to play 30 or so mpg, with IW getting the remainder time. He's done OK seeing the situation his been put in.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#133 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:06 pm

Pistolpete1947 wrote:
Paradise wrote:

Can you imagine if someone did this same kind of half assed assessment on Jeremy Lin at age 21? Just gave up on him after three months into his professional career? I bet your reaction would NOT be positive.

There's no need to prioritize. Both players will get proper time and assessment opportunities.

and i'm really restraining myself by not responding to that nonsense about "a big mistake for the Net's future" by actually attempting to develop Isaiah Whitehead. I'm like literally regretting the Nets ever signing Jeremy Lin every time i read this garbage. Whitehead is trying to learn one of the toughest positions in all of pro sports on the fly. He has been literally thrown into the water and by all accounts has exceeded expectations. I don't really know what else to say that won't trend towards something toxic.

Whitehead is viewed around the league as one of this year's better rookies, and here we have the **** ing peanut gallery saying we should toss the kid in the street. :crazy:

Pistolpete1947
Pro Prospect

Post#134 » by Pistolpete1947 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:14 pm

bws94 wrote:
Paradise wrote:

Yes, they're different. Both can be useful. I prefer Whitehead as backup PG and playing alongside Lin as he looks like he's an impressive shot blocker and Lin is also an impressive shot blocking PG. Dw is a good slasher and if his shot is working, he's fine. It just seems Whitehead is closer to running an offense to some degree than Dw, he just doesn't execute out of inexperience.

I know you like Whitehead but look at the stats:

PLAYER GP GS MIN PPG RPG APG TPG FPG A/TO FG% 3P% PER

IW, PG 31 23 22.6 6.9 2.6 2.8 2.3 2.6 1.2 402 .298 6.3

SD, PG 16 2 17.9 5.6 2.6 2.3 1.3 2.1 1.7 .449 .313 10.8

Dinwiddie is 3rd on the team in assists/turnover behind Lin and CLV, Whitehead is 7th. Dinwiddie has a higher shooting pct. and much higher PER. He was a better shooter than IW in college and now in the pro's. This is the 3rd season he's been in the NBA but he hasn't played much more than IW in total because he didn't play in many games and not many minutes. They've had roughly the same amount of NBA experience but at this point Dinwiddie is better.
Pistolpete1947
Pro Prospect

Post#135 » by Pistolpete1947 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:27 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Pistolpete1947 wrote:
Paradise wrote:Whitehead is much more talented. He's quicker, more athletic. I don't see why we need to prioritize one over another. Dinwiddie is more of an MCW.

Can you imagine if someone did this same kind of half assed assessment on Jeremy Lin at age 21? Just gave up on him after three months into his professional career? I bet your reaction would NOT be positive.

There's no need to prioritize. Both players will get proper time and assessment opportunities.

and i'm really restraining myself by not responding to that nonsense about "a big mistake for the Net's future" by actually attempting to develop Isaiah Whitehead. I'm like literally regretting the Nets ever signing Jeremy Lin every time i read this garbage. Whitehead is trying to learn one of the toughest positions in all of pro sports on the fly. He has been literally thrown into the water and by all accounts has exceeded expectations. I don't really know what else to say that won't trend towards something toxic.

Whitehead is viewed around the league as one of this year's better rookies, and here we have the **** ing peanut gallery saying we should toss the kid in the street. :crazy:

"Linsanity" happened after Lin played 29 games at 9.8 minutes per game the year before with Golden State. A lot less than three months of experience. But im not comparing IW to Lin because there is no comparison. You brought him up so I'm responding.Some poster on this forum actually said he felt IW's ceiling was higher than Lin - what a joke. I don't care how IW is viewed around the league. He fails the eyeball and stat test IMO. You can get mad, swear, etc. all you want but my opinion is that Dinwiddie has a higher upside than IW. Only time will tell whose opinion is right. Right now the stats say Dinwiddie is better.
Pistolpete1947
Pro Prospect

Post#136 » by Pistolpete1947 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:38 pm

bws94 wrote:
Paradise wrote:
Pistolpete1947 wrote:

IMO, Lin made a lot of the same mistakes over a season when he was a Houston Rocket. He made some of the same mistakes in the season after. One of these was jumping in the air on a drive with no outlet and turning the ball over. He hardly does that anymore, but it took awhile for him not to.

As a Lin fan, I apply the same standard I applied to Lin to others with little experience. Let the guy play through repeated errors and expect these errors. Look at his upside and let him play through his mistakes.

I don't feel that an approach that talks about anything less than a season or season and a half with a rookie to see less mistakes, is fair. Whitehead may become a top shot blocker, a strong defensive force against 1s and 2s, a guy who can absorb contact and get to the rim and finish, and he's done excellent on getting TOs and executing fast breaks. These areas Dinwiddie is weaker at. And I also find, while neither Dinwiddie or Whitehead have great vision, Whitehead, per their experience, has more potential. Whitehead actually attempts good passes and sees open guys more, he just messes up executing them. That's part of development.

As a Lin fan, I wish to support Whitehead and want to give him the same leeway for making errors as I think Lin should have received under McHale in Houston. It messed Lin up to mess with his minutes and not let him play through those mistakes, it slowed down his development. I think KA is taking the right approach with Whitehead. And really, Whitehead wasn't supposed to play this much. Lin was supposed to play 30 or so mpg, with IW getting the remainder time. He's done OK seeing the situation his been put in.

Lin made a lot of mistakes yes but he averaged over 13 points and 6 assists a game in his first season with the Rockets even with Harden dominating the ball. IW is averaging less than half of that.

Look I've been watching, playing and coaching bball for over 50 years and IMO Whitehead just doesn't have it as a PG. I wish he did because he's a good kid and he is very athletic but he just doesn't seem to have the court vision required for a pg. His shooting is also below average and has been since college. We'll see what happens but I wouldn't bet the ranch on a long NBA career for him.
bws94
Head Coach

Post#137 » by bws94 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:56 pm

Pistolpete1947 wrote:
bws94 wrote:
Paradise wrote:

Lin made a lot of mistakes yes but he averaged over 13 points and 6 assists a game in his first season with the Rockets even with Harden dominating the ball. IW is averaging less than half of that.

Look I've been watching, playing and coaching bball for over 50 years and IMO Whitehead just doesn't have it as a PG. I wish he did because he's a good kid and he is very athletic but he just doesn't seem to have the court vision required for a pg. His shooting is also below average and has been since college. We'll see what happens but I wouldn't bet the ranch on a long NBA career for him.

I'm not equating Whitehead and Lin's talent, and I've been watching basketball over 40 years, so we both have experience watching with you having more experience in the game. Great. I'm just saying give Whitehead much more time than given and then assess rather than the small amount of time that he's been playing. And I'm not as big on Dinwiddie although I think he can be useful as well. But Dinwiddie is a 3rd year player vs. Whitehead being a rookie. Big difference.
Pistolpete1947
Pro Prospect

Post#138 » by Pistolpete1947 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:03 pm

bws94 wrote:
Pistolpete1947 wrote:
bws94 wrote:

I'm not equating Whitehead and Lin's talent, and I've been watching basketball over 40 years, so we both have experience watching with you having more experience in the game. Great. I'm just saying give Whitehead much more time than given and then assess rather than the small amount of time that he's been playing. And I'm not as big on Dinwiddie although I think he can be useful as well. But Dinwiddie is a 3rd year player vs. Whitehead being a rookie. Big difference.

He's a 3rd year player but he played in 16 games last year and around 40 the year before. He also played a lot less mpg than IW has this year. So there is NO big difference in their amount of NBA experiemce. The biggest difference is that IW has played a LOT more minutes with KA's offense than Dinwiddie. Despite this Dinwiddie has out performed IW,
bws94
Head Coach

Post#139 » by bws94 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:07 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Pistolpete1947 wrote:

Look, Pete's been watching the game over 50 years and he's not big on Whitehead. There's no real reason not to support Lin here because Pete's opinion differs from others. It's his opinion and assessment. I'll debate him but he has a right to it.
bws94
Head Coach

Post#140 » by bws94 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:13 pm

Pistolpete1947 wrote:
bws94 wrote:
Pistolpete1947 wrote:

He's a 3rd year player but he played in 16 games last year and around 40 the year before. He also played a lot less mpg than IW has this year. So there is NO big difference in their amount of NBA experiemce. The biggest difference is that IW has played a LOT more minutes with KA's offense than Dinwiddie. Despite this Dinwiddie has out performed IW,

We'll agree to disagree. I feel IW has a feel for the game that Dinwiddie doesn't have as much of. But, I acknowledge your points on Dinwiddie vs. IW's numbers.

Return to Brooklyn Nets