ImageImageImageImageImage

GT: Brooklyn Grit @ Dallas Mavericks - Friday, 3/10/17 9:00 PM. Lopez is OUT

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

PG13
Starter
And1: 845

Re: GT: Brooklyn Grit @ Dallas Mavericks - Friday, 3/10/17 9:00 PM. Lopez is OUT 

Post#201 » by PG13 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:37 pm

People who didn't watch the game shouldn't be allowed to comment on others' comments in the game thread. Some of these comments are so generic and don't reflect what happened last night.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,442

Re: GT: Brooklyn Grit @ Dallas Mavericks - Friday, 3/10/17 9:00 PM. Lopez is OUT 

Post#202 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:14 pm

Roy Tarpley wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
What you're saying vastly differs from what has actually happened on the court. Where were you after the Golden State game? The Memphis game? I find it hilarious that RHJ's detractors were quiet, then he has two games where he hasn't been that good and here come the cries for him to be benched. :roll: you guys seriously need to relax.

I don't think he's played particarlly great since the Memphis game mind you, but there's no reason for him to sit. He needs to learn from his mistakes and play through them, it has worked all season long to help him improve into a nightly contributor.

We don't have the luxury of benching young players when we have to rebuild this team while being severely handicapped. some folks really want to pretend that our situation is NORMAL when it's anything but.

I don't care if we win. I just want guys to learn, guys to get time, guys to keep working hard. Sitting here crying about a March loss to the Mavericks in a season that was lost from the start is a waste of time, and frankly, neither Marks nor Atkinson give a damn about fan expectation this season nor should they. The fans will shut up and fall in when they get this ship turned around, and not a moment sooner.

alot of these guys are watching the game through a filter...

its all about Lin and then if/when the nets lose its through whomever they can who didnt play well that game under the bus. A net player scores and the run to the live box score to see if that counted as an assist for lin.

Nonsense. I do think, however, that some folks, including me, have high expectations of the team, and are critical (and praising when appropriate) of ALL players.

If you have high expectations such as perfect play and winning games with a roster full of marginal talent, that is not the fault of the team, management (who warned fans this would not be easy), etc. That is your fault for putting out frankly outlandish, unrealistic expectations versus the reality of the situation. Guys were on this forum putting up crap about 30 wins, 40 wins...in what league would this team remotely even be able to do that? The Israeli league?

My expectations are for guys to compete hard and to gain experience. Both of those are being met. I can't expect d league level players, rookies and maybe 2 or 3 legit nba pro rotation guys to win against teams that have legit talent from players 1 through 9.

There is not one team that this team isn't outmatched against. Not a single one, and some people on here carry on like we should be stomping people out like the 1996 Bulls
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Roy Tarpley
Veteran
And1: 987

Post#203 » by Roy Tarpley » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:25 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Roy Tarpley wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
alot of these guys are watching the game through a filter...

its all about Lin and then if/when the nets lose its through whomever they can who didnt play well that game under the bus. A net player scores and the run to the live box score to see if that counted as an assist for lin.

Nonsense. I do think, however, that some folks, including me, have high expectations of the team, and are critical (and praising when appropriate) of ALL players.

If you have high expectations such as perfect play and winning games with a roster full of marginal talent, that is not the fault of the team, management (who warned fans this would not be easy), etc. That is your fault for putting out frankly outlandish, unrealistic expectations versus the reality of the situation. Guys were on this forum putting up crap about 30 wins, 40 wins...in what league would this team remotely even be able to do that? The Israeli league?

My expectations are for guys to compete hard and to gain experience. Both of those are being met. I can't expect d league level players, rookies and maybe 2 or 3 legit nba pro rotation guys to win against teams that have legit talent from players 1 through 9.

There is not one team that this team isn't outmatched against. Not a single one, and some people on here carry on like we should be stomping people out like the 1996 Bulls

No need for hyperbole. NO ONE is saying that Nets should go 82-0 or 72-10 or 62-20 or 52-30. I just wanted the Nets to do in the 4Q what they did in the 1st half. You seem to fine if the Nets go 0-20 the rest of the way as long as everyone gets 20 minutes a piece for development purposes. You say the Mavs have legit talent from 1-9? Like Yogi Ferrell, who the Nets discarded?

Again, it's not unreasonable for the expect the Nets to win SOME games the rest of the way.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#204 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:26 pm

Dirk Nowitzki wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:So what should the coach do? Because I guarantee not even Carlisle would get much out of this bunch. The fact that this team continues to compete despite being outmatched on the other side every night says more to me than the complaints about "the system".

There is no "system" that can get anything better out of this roster. If there is, I'd love to hear what it is. Maybe the Nets should start running the triangle?

Like I said, in vacuum it's fine to not focus on 'short term gains' and to believe that even in game, the coach is sacrificing 'a better chance at winning', preferring to 'stick with his system' believing that the experience/reps are better for the future than to adapt and maybe win an extra game or two.

The Mavericks switched to a zone, the Nets then proceed to look like a high school team. The whole 4th quarter I kept seeing bad play after bad play and nothing changed. The Mavericks have the #4 defensive rating in 2017. They start: Yogi Ferrell/Seth Curry/Dirk. A guy the Nets ditched is 12-6 with the Mavericks. He learned on the fly. I know... the justification is that the Mavs 'have talent' [he has been paired with an unexperienced 26 year old Seth Curry... in a midget backourt] - the Mavericks are not an overly talented team. This to say: 1) system is adaptable; 2) coach makes the most of the talent available.

For all the talk about competing, the Nets have the 3rd worst net rating since the all star break -6.1. Not saying that's bad coaching, but just underlining that this team is still really bad. The 'untalented' roster will give this coach a lot of margin for error. You will never quite know when you can criticise the coach or just keep talking about the 'lack of talent', 'the system' and player development. It's not the wins/losses, is simply the in game adjustments that any good coach should make. The bizarre part about this particular game was that it ended up with a blowout feel to it. If the Mavs play that bad/flat, I expect the Nets to take advantage. The Mavs aren't good enough to sleep walk through the game and then have a couple of spurts and win easily. That's on the Nets.

Kenny's not to be absolved from in game screw ups, but in reality, I'm not really going to sit here and call for his head this season when the talent is bottom of the barrel and as a coach he's also learning. Now when we get into year 3, when this team should be a lot better and experienced, and we're seeing coaching decisions cost the team games, then I'll start to say Kenny needs to get his **** together, but not a moment sooner. There isn't any coach in basketball that can coach up this bunch to meet some of these obscene expectations, system or otherwise be damned. I think that the pace and system that the team plays at are one of the big reasons as to why they can stay in most of these games.

Also, if you're going to sit here and use net rating as some kind of stat to toss out the idea that the Nets don't compete in games, maybe you aren't watching enough of this team as opposed to your own (not that I wouldn't blame you). You have zero idea what a team that doesn't compete looks like if you're going to insinuate that about this group, meanwhile most Net fans have seen uninspired dogs on better roster roll out of bed and get blown off of the floor or tank games without hesitation. There's a huge difference between these guys who lack talent but play hard, and the other guys from years past who had talent but didn't give a damn.

and yeah, I think playing with a hall of famer and better talent has more to do with Yogi being 12-6 with you guys than anything else, but that's up for debate. Honestly though, as a Mavericks fan, don't you think its a bit much to come onto our forum and use that as an underhanded slight towards the Nets?

Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,831

Post#205 » by Vae Victus » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:27 pm

Roy Tarpley wrote:Where's the self-flagellating VaeVictus when you need him?!

You rang? *jumps on soapbox to start yelling at Lin* :vent: naw jk

Last 2 years i tended to jump down Lin's throat alot calling out his passive bitch mode play and praising him when he finally plays with a chip on his shoulder. Utterly misused by Byron Scott and heavily muzzled by Steve Clifford, i'm thankful that at least Atkinson has full confidence in Lin and wont yell/yank him him for any little mistake, and despite not giving him the full reins of the offense. Which is by design and i think Lin understands that these young bucks need the run to establish themselves in the league, Lin "got" his payday, and he was in their shoes before trying to prove that he belonged in the league and is thus willing to take a step back instead of trying to hog all the glory/shots ala decrepit broken down Kobe Bryant and yelling at his teammates for their TOs or missed shots that should "rightfully" goto the "star" of the team.

This year as much as i want to yell at him for being more aggressive, i gotta take into account, he's not 100% and the last time he went balls to the wall (CHA game) his hammy got tweaked. Lin just doesnt have all his tools available to play the game we know he can play. Lin looked like he was on the right track in the beginning of the year until injury decided to rape him.

I'm pleasantly surprised at his perimeter game. He's taking 3s aggressively, comfortably, AND making them. His mid range J has also seen massive growth as he's now looking for it instead of using it as a bail out option when he doesnt have his driving lane. FT draw rate is down, but again, hard to get FTs if u dont attack the bucket which he's simply unable to right now.

Not much for me to to be angry about, except losing a chunk of money on betting on the Nets on the over. Kenny definitely could've won more games if he was a better coach, but thats not his focus and i just gotta live with that.

Oh btw Prok, Carlisle HAS taken a bunch of scrubs and done pretty damn well with them. After the Malice at the Palace decimated his roster with Jerm, Artest, SJack, and others suspended for huge chunks of the season, Carlisle was able to cobble together journeyman and last second call ups to do respectably well until all the idiots got back from suspension. Now i consider Carlisle a top 3 coach in the league and he's pretty much the best coach to maximize whatever talent possible out of a player/roster, except for complete **** hard headed knuckleheads like Raging Rajon Rondo.

If Carlisle were coach, i'm confident to say we'd be at 20-24 wins right now DESPITE the injury situation, i think he woulda eked out every ouch of talent and hammered hard at what works and discard what doesnt work (BrookLin PnR all day long). Now is that a good thing for future development, not really, as Carlisle would likely pigeon hole players into their best roles and any deviation from it results to a swift benching. Kenny right now is what the team needs, player development, and the Lin injury **** my Vegas bet :waaa: :waaa: :waaa:
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#206 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:35 pm

Roy Tarpley wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Roy Tarpley wrote:

No need for hyperbole. NO ONE is saying that Nets should go 82-0 or 72-10 or 62-20 or 52-30. I just wanted the Nets to do in the 4Q what they did in the 1st half. You seem to fine if the Nets go 0-20 the rest of the way as long as everyone gets 20 minutes a piece for development purposes. You say the Mavs have legit talent from 1-9? Like Yogi Ferrell, who the Nets discarded?

Again, it's not unreasonable for the expect the Nets to win SOME games the rest of the way.

Most teams in the NBA have better talent that the Nets from spots 1 to 9. If you want to debate this, by all means, maybe you think that this team is better overall than I do.

Outside of Lopez, Lin, and Booker, we have d league guys trying to hang on and a bunch of kids. What in the world makes you think that this group can sustain high level play for 48 minutes? if we do, its an outlier, like the clippers game earlier this season and the grizzlies game the other day. every other game, it always comes down to the talent gap and basketball IQ, which the Nets lack in both areas. I mean outside of LeVert and Lin, the bball IQ drops significantly after that. and even then, LeVert is prone to kid mistakes, and Lin gets himself into trouble at times off of the dribble or allowing himself to get trapped.

This team's record is as it should be. These games end predictably. I'm not losing sleep over 10 wins, 12 wins, 15 wins, none of it matters at the end of the day.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#207 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:41 pm

Roy Tarpley wrote:MDB, I do find it funny that you are defending Lin against criticisms from Lin fans. :)

I think all of it is unwarranted, but again, we are all free to express, debate, and challenge opinions so I can't be mad that some folks view Lin as maybe better than what he really is, I'm not mad at all but I vehemently disagree with some of those notions. I like Lin a lot, he's my kind of player who gets in there and gets his hands dirty, and on offense he's not scared to challenge his defender or pull up with confidence from down town.

Listen, after watching that sack of trash who I won't name for a few years, I'll take a guy like Lin on my team and defend him against what I find to be frankly overly harsh criticism.

When you watch uninspired basketball for years, you actually learn to appreciate having guys on the team that actually give a crap. But at the same time, I know that Lin is not perfect and have him graded as a "C tier" player, meaning an above average player, which means "a good pro" in my book. I don't expect perfection, but I expect effort, and that's what he brings on both ends.

bws94
Head Coach
And1: 1,222

Post#208 » by bws94 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:10 pm

From my perspective, if you've ever seen a what I will call "Super Saiyan Lin" game, he at times does play on a level where he's virtually unstoppable. There was a game for the Hornets where Lin almost single-handedly won the game against the Spurs. He had Kawhi on him at times, and Lin just was able to get into the paint and score or get fouled, or hit tough jumpers and scored 29 for the game. So fans may think that Lin can go into that mode more if he turns up the effort, but really, in my opinion, if he was able to do that he'd do it. Sometimes he can, but often he can be put in check by hard double teams and traps. And even if you look at the Spurs game with the Hornets, the Hornets had Kemba who is explosive and is a premiere scoring PG, and Batum who is a solid playmaker, and they had guys who can make stops on defense and rebound.

But overall, I don't see a problem with fans wanting more from Lin, at least in terms of going to and/or demanding the ball in the 4Q. But, we also have to see that Lin was targeted not to get the ball, LaVert wasn't having a big game so there wasn't that much concern about him, and if I were Dallas, I'd put the ball in Skil's hand knowing he's turnover prone. I would want not to have it in Lin's hands knowing he can come alive in the 4Q so some of the credit can go to Dallas for running an effective D. I think the team missed some good looks. As for should Skil be on the court 4Q, he's a scorer and should be.

Overall, look at Whitehead again. Yes, the kid makes tons of unfortunate mistakes, but he has potential on both ends of the court to really contribute. I think he is a Smart type of player, or at least has the potential to be. I think if this team had Tyler Johnson, we'd win more because he's really a capable guy we can have Lin play 1.5 with, where he shares PG with Tyler. But Lin has Foye or Dinwiddie or the mistake-prone Tyler. LeVert will get there, he's a fine, talented player. He's going through some growing pains, but he'll be a force as a playmaker and defensive player next season. He has to work on his scoring, however, and not going for fakes on his D.
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach
And1: 4,700

Post#209 » by TinmanZBoy » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:53 pm

Dirk Nowitzki wrote:If you told me the Mavs would play such an horrible game... I would have expected a definite loss. IThe Nets had everything to build a bigger lead when the Mavs were so flat and then they were so easily beaten in the 4th quarter. It almost felt like the Nets were a tanking team with so many dumb plays and no accountability.

Levert and RHJ looked brutal in this game. There's just too much free styling going on for the Nets. I get the culture, system and all those things, but at the end of the day... I don't think you can be rigid about it - a good coach is able to adapt and make changes on the fly. Everyone saw how brutal the Mavs looked yesterday, what did Carlisle do? He adapted and changed the game. This is what makes him one of best coaches in the game... he is always tinkering with 'his system' and does whatever it takes to get the most out of his roster.

I guess the narrative of putting the system above short term gains, may fly this year and maybe even next year, but it's still puzzling how the Nets continue to run a system that they can't really execute and just exposes the lack of talent even more.

so true...if I can give you and2,3,4...
can't believe some of hard core Nets fans here are still ringing the praise of Kenny...
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
ghostowl
Sophomore
And1: 46

Post#210 » by ghostowl » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:00 pm

TinmanZBoy wrote:
Dirk Nowitzki wrote:If you told me the Mavs would play such an horrible game... I would have expected a definite loss. IThe Nets had everything to build a bigger lead when the Mavs were so flat and then they were so easily beaten in the 4th quarter. It almost felt like the Nets were a tanking team with so many dumb plays and no accountability.

Levert and RHJ looked brutal in this game. There's just too much free styling going on for the Nets. I get the culture, system and all those things, but at the end of the day... I don't think you can be rigid about it - a good coach is able to adapt and make changes on the fly. Everyone saw how brutal the Mavs looked yesterday, what did Carlisle do? He adapted and changed the game. This is what makes him one of best coaches in the game... he is always tinkering with 'his system' and does whatever it takes to get the most out of his roster.

I guess the narrative of putting the system above short term gains, may fly this year and maybe even next year, but it's still puzzling how the Nets continue to run a system that they can't really execute and just exposes the lack of talent even more.

can't believe some of hard core Nets fans here are still ringing the praise of Kenny...

If your team is the Houston Rockets, why are you constantly here?
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#211 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:05 am

ghostowl wrote:
TinmanZBoy wrote:

to troll this goddamn board.

TinmanZBoy
Head Coach
And1: 4,700

Post#212 » by TinmanZBoy » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:12 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
ghostowl wrote:
TinmanZBoy wrote:

to troll this goddamn board.

seriously? I echo what "Dirk Nowitzki" said, and I've pointed it out before... I am not impressed with Kenny's development plan, I am also not a fan of any "process"...I am a Lin fan, I am interested in the team that he is playing for, what's wrong with that...
I commend you and Prok's passion about your team, but at times it seems you guys want to monopoly opinions, can't embrace different opinions and perspectives...
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#213 » by NyCeEvO » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:18 pm

Can coaches not be rookies as well?

Have we forgotten that Brad Stevens was 25-57 in his first year? And he still had Rajon Rondo, Avery Bradley, Jeff Green, and Brandon Bass.

Some of the other players who were very young (i.e. Marcus Smart, Jae Crowder, Jonas Jerebko, Kelly Olynyk) and had marginal talent then have become much better players.

Boston had a more talented roster than we currently have and didn't suffer the kind of injury situation we have this year.

No one thinks about Brad Stevens winning 25 games his first year anymore. Everyone just thinks about right now and how he's coaching a very good Celtics team.

Just like players, we need to give coaches room to grow and do things.

This season has been all about missing the forest for the trees.

Yeah, you can look at every thing individually and critique the heck out of it, but if you step back and look at the overall picture, I can see the forest growing. This precisely what all of the recent articles have been talking about.

Yes, it's painstaking to watch the individual seedlings grow and sometimes experience periods non-growth but in the end I see the blueprint and I believe much of the minutiae that we complain about now, will be forgotten after the Nets hardwork of sowing leads to a harvest.

Obviously, this is all just my opinion. I could very well be overglorifying things that aren't really good and that one should expect more change by now. It's just my feeling that I've seen enough good things to have faith that the rest of the process will work itself out.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#214 » by Prokorov » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:06 pm

Roy Tarpley wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Roy Tarpley wrote:

im fine with 0-20. record is 1000000% irrelevant for this team at this point in the rebuild. Luckily we have a GM/Coach and ownership whoa re willing to be pateint and not pressured into going all out for meaningless wins
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#215 » by Prokorov » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:10 pm

TinmanZBoy wrote:

Who wouldnnt sing kennys praises? he has done an ELITE job.... nearly 1-15 every single guy has developed.... some drastically, some added whole new dimensions, and most are low talent low ceiling guys.

He didnt turn water into wine, no coach can do that. but he did as good as could have been expected and then some developing what amounts to 1-2 pros and mostly dleague talent beyond that
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#216 » by Prokorov » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:14 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:

Can coaches not be rookies as well?

Have we forgotten that Brad Stevens was 25-57 in his first year? And he still had Rajon Rondo, Avery Bradley, Jeff Green, and Brandon Bass.

Some of the other players who were very young (i.e. Marcus Smart, Jae Crowder, Jonas Jerebko, Kelly Olynyk) and had marginal talent then have become much better players.

Boston had a more talented roster than we currently have and didn't suffer the kind of injury situation we have this year.

No one thinks about Brad Stevens winning 25 games his first year anymore. Everyone just thinks about right now and how he's coaching a very good Celtics team.

Just like players, we need to give coaches room to grow and do things.

This season has been all about missing the forest for the trees.

Yeah, you can look at every thing individually and critique the heck out of it, but if you step back and look at the overall picture, I can see the forest growing. This precisely what all of the recent articles have been talking about.

Yes, it's painstaking to watch the individual seedlings grow and sometimes experience periods non-growth but in the end I see the blueprint and I believe much of the minutiae that we complain about now, will be forgotten after the Nets hardwork of sowing leads to a harvest.

Obviously, this is all just my opinion. I could very well be overglorifying things that aren't really good and that one should expect more change by now. It's just my feeling that I've seen enough good things to have faith that the rest of the process will work itself out.

This is spot on... hopefully we can get a return for lopez like boston got for rondo. a crowder type 2 way guy and a first. add that with 1 good free agent singing and this is a 30 win team with alot of young talent.

Give me a first for lopez. take on demarre carrole and low level pick compensation from toronto for cap space then go max noel or a defensive big and this team instantly lookS alot better:

Lin, Levert, Carrole, RHJ, FA Center

Whitehead, Harris, Rookie 1st, Rookie 1st, Booker, Acy, Hamilton, Skil

thats a 25-30 win team.
Yit
Junior
And1: 31

Post#217 » by Yit » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:08 pm

Tracking Players' performance vs Mavericks 10 Mar 2017

By GCP
Whitehead - 45
Lin - 30
Booker - 26
Acy - 23
KJM - 13
Kilpat - 11
Nicholson - 11
Hamilton - 10
RHJ - 8
Dinwiddie - 6
Foye - 5
CLV - 5

Best Offensive effort = Booker (11), Best Defensive effort = Dinwiddie (19)

Opponent's GCP
S.Cur - 36
H.Bar - 34
Y.Fer - 24
D.Now - 20
W.Mat - 18
D.Pow - 18
S.Mej - 16
JJB - 14
D.Har - 10
DFS - 7
J.Uth - (-1)
M.Har - (-1)

Best 5 players averages comparisons Nets (27) vs Mavs (26) - we shouldn't have lost this not sure what happened towards the end of the game. Hopefully, the players learnt something from this.
Stability is a myth perpetuated by the agents called homeostasis and status quo....

Return to Brooklyn Nets