ImageImageImage

Leafs 2014-15 Season Thread

Moderator: Crowned

s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,555

Leafs 2014-15 Season Thread 

Post#1 » by s e n s i » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:27 am

william nylander looked great today, i think we found our fourth member of legends row

honestly though, he'll be a good one for sure but i don't expect him to make the team nor do i think he's nearly ready for the grind of the NHL regular season - being a kid and all, which probably goes without saying. his skill is elite for his age, just don't think he's ready physically

anyway, i wonder what kind of catastrophe awaits us in this campaign, but in any event -- like last season and the one before that and the many before that, go leafs go
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).
Brew666
Junior
And1: 22

Re: Leafs 2014-15 Season Thread 

Post#2 » by Brew666 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:54 pm

Nylander is looking good out there, just not physically ready yet for the NHL. Local media suggesting he's going back to Sweden which I'm fine with. I was thinking they might want to have him on the Marlies so they could call him up during the season if he's lighting it up but another full season in Sweden isn't bad at all. It's not like he'll be dominating.

JVR, Kadri and Gards have looked good in the preseason for what it's worth.

Catastrophe for me would be finishing 9 - 14 in the east. I still think the best move for the long run is to take a step back for another year but it doesn't look like that's in the game plan. If things start heading south, I want to see a fire sale for a lot of the vets on the team asap.
BramptonYute
Head Coach
And1: 8,677

Post#3 » by BramptonYute » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:34 pm

I'd love for us to really **** the bed this year. You rarely get the chance to sign or trade for a true 1C, so you gotta draft them. If we get a top 5 pick this year, we're drafting a special player. Ideally you wanna get 1st or 2nd overall to get McDavid or Eichel.

We also have peices that could be moved if we flop. If some of the guys we brought in, like Winnik, Santorelli, Booth, Reimer and maybe other guys like Polak and Frattin. We could probably pick up some 2nd and 3rd rounders for them.
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,481

Post#4 » by bballsparkin » Sat Oct 4, 2014 3:28 pm

^^I've been saying for awhile the Leafs should **** the bed for a year. I agree why not this year. Though they always seem to have those hot starts hah.
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#5 » by whysoserious » Sat Oct 4, 2014 9:47 pm

I honestly wish they had the guts to rebuild through the draft properly. I'd love an opportunity to get a number 1 pick and franchise player but the Oilers have had plenty of number 1 pick, they've taken the consensus picks and while they've been good none of them have turned in to franchise players.

It comes down to actually having a sound coating and development program. The Leafs have never had that. Never. And so they make average to bad picks when they make them in the top 3rd of the draft and then keep trying to compensate with big signings. Won't work in the cap era.

As for this season, Gardiner looks amazing this camp and I'm glad they didn't rush to trade him. Rielly looks good, Kadri is still up and down. They gotta temper expectations. He's a solid number 2 centre but they keep selling him to the fans and so so many expect him to become a first line dominant center and he'll never be one.
BramptonYute
Head Coach

Post#6 » by BramptonYute » Sun Oct 5, 2014 5:54 pm

whysoserious wrote:I honestly wish they had the guts to rebuild through the draft properly. I'd love an opportunity to get a number 1 pick and franchise player but the Oilers have had plenty of number 1 pick, they've taken the consensus picks and while they've been good none of them have turned in to franchise players.

It comes down to actually having a sound coating and development program. The Leafs have never had that. Never. And so they make average to bad picks when they make them in the top 3rd of the draft and then keep trying to compensate with big signings. Won't work in the cap era.

As for this season, Gardiner looks amazing this camp and I'm glad they didn't rush to trade him. Rielly looks good, Kadri is still up and down. They gotta temper expectations. He's a solid number 2 centre but they keep selling him to the fans and so so many expect him to become a first line dominant center and he'll never be one.

The Oilers sucked because they had a **** GM. You need add other pieces to the team, something Tambellini didnt do. Luckily, for them, they fired him and brought in McTavish who's doing a way better job than him.

I still think Kadri can take that next step with his game. He needs to be better defensively, and he needs to get better at faceoffs. I wouldnt be opposed to moving him to the wing. But I think he's still at C because they dont have anyone to replace him.
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#7 » by whysoserious » Sun Oct 5, 2014 11:04 pm

Nored wrote:The Oilers sucked because they had a **** GM. You need add other pieces to the team, something Tambellini didnt do. Luckily, for them, they fired him and brought in McTavish who's doing a way better job than him.

I still think Kadri can take that next step with his game. He needs to be better defensively, and he needs to get better at faceoffs. I wouldnt be opposed to moving him to the wing. But I think he's still at C because they dont have anyone to replace him.

Yes, they had a poor GM who didn't build well around the young guys but those young guys also haven't developed for a variety of reasons either. Not a single one of them at this point looks like a franchise player.

The point is that it's not just important to rebuild through the draft, but to have good scouting and development in place. The Leafs simply haven't been good at developing their picks or scouting for a good 30 years really other than a few here and there. They've made some quality picks of late that look pretty good so we'll see.

Overall though, this organization doesn't truly have the patience to rebuild the right way, a way that's almost a necessity. You can't spend your way to success, especially when you're spending boatloads on guys like Clarkson and what not.
Brew666
Junior

Post#8 » by Brew666 » Mon Oct 6, 2014 3:53 pm

So I'm sure people have seen the final cuts. Below are the practice lines which could be their opening night roster:

FORWARDS
James van Riemsdyk – Tyler Bozak – Phil Kessel
Joffrey Lupul – Nazem Kadri – Brandon Kozun
Leo Komarov – Mike Santorelli – David Clarkson
Daniel Winnik – Peter Holland – Matt Frattin

DEFENCEMEN
Dion Phaneuf – Stephane Robidas,
Jake Gardiner – Morgan Rielly
Stuart Percy – Roman Polak

GOALIES
Jonathan Bernier
James Reimer

I'm glad to see Kozun and Percy make the team. Both had great camps and deserved a spot. Did not expect to see Kozun on the 2nd line but looking forward to seeing what he can do w/ Kads and Lupul. Definitely a better option than Clarkson. That said, I like the line that Clarkson is on b/c it looks like pretty solid checking line. He needs to simplify his game. On a line w/ Komarov and Santorelli, they should be able to focus on possession and board play, wear the other team down. Force mistakes in the o zone and hopefully they can capitalize.

Really hoping Percy continues his solid play too. I would love him to force the Leafs' hand and deal Franson or whoever for another piece.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,197

Post#9 » by LittleOzzy » Wed Oct 8, 2014 4:35 pm

I'm only going to do this once, so if you are interested in talking Leafs hockey, this thread is the place to do it.

If you have no interest in hockey, just keep the comments to yourself. Thanks.

Sooo.....

Who's exciting for tonight's game?
Brew666
Junior

Post#10 » by Brew666 » Wed Oct 8, 2014 5:44 pm

I always look forward to opening night as I think most Leafs fans do. Long off-season and rarely the same team coming back.

A lot of story lines to watch this year:

The continued development of Gardiner and Rielly

Does Kadri make the next step?

Can Kozun and Percy stay with the team?

Will the additions of Polak and Robidas improve the overall d core?

My heart wants them to make the playoffs and have a solid season but my head is saying it's better for them to take that step back this year, sell off some vets and create some spots for the youth. Regardless I'll be cheering for them and hoping for the W.
Flight33
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,887

Post#11 » by Flight33 » Wed Oct 8, 2014 6:59 pm

Montreal Canadians are the best!!!!
tdotboyy
Banned User
And1: 6,678

Post#12 » by tdotboyy » Wed Oct 8, 2014 7:12 pm

are the leaves good? what nba team would u compare them to?
Brew666
Junior

Post#13 » by Brew666 » Wed Oct 8, 2014 7:28 pm

tdotboyy wrote:are the leaves good? what nba team would u compare them to?

Definitely the Knicks. Storied franchise that never seems to get it right. Both have their history with meddling owners. Even when it seems they're on the right track, something seems to happen. Not sure who's the worse owner: MLSE or Dolan
theaub
Senior
And1: 993

Post#14 » by theaub » Wed Oct 8, 2014 8:20 pm

MLSE just hires bad talent evaluators, they don't meddle in player operations (at least not since the Stavro days).

Although I'm also not sure if that makes them better or worse than Dolan.
Jonn
RealGM
And1: 19,076

Post#15 » by Jonn » Wed Oct 8, 2014 9:14 pm

Boooooooooooooo Leafs Suck!
J Dilla
Banned User
And1: 1,832

Post#16 » by J Dilla » Wed Oct 8, 2014 9:48 pm

playoffs seem way out of reach imo.

carlyle would be the first coach to get fired.
Slim_Charles
Sixth Man
And1: 1,516

Post#17 » by Slim_Charles » Wed Oct 8, 2014 9:53 pm

I like the Leafs...it just the pompous Leaf fans that I do not like.
BramptonYute
Head Coach

Post#18 » by BramptonYute » Wed Oct 8, 2014 10:38 pm

Sportsnet went all out with the new studio and stuff. Looks cool.

Best case scenario imo, is that we **** the bed, Carlyle gets fired, we draft McDavid or whoever seems like the best #1 pick, and Babcock leaves the Wings and comes to us.

Buttttttt, I'll also take making the playoffs :D
Stolen Identity
Veteran
And1: 4,010

Post#19 » by Stolen Identity » Wed Oct 8, 2014 10:40 pm

LittleOzzy wrote:I'm only going to do this once, so if you are interested in talking Leafs hockey, this thread is the place to do it.

If you have no interest in hockey, just keep the comments to yourself. Thanks.

Sooo.....

Who's exciting for tonight's game?

I will be ready. Opening games are always fun, especially since it's against Montreal. Love their women, though.

Brew666 wrote:
tdotboyy wrote:are the leaves good? what nba team would u compare them to?

Definitely the Knicks. Storied franchise that never seems to get it right. Both have their history with meddling owners. Even when it seems they're on the right track, something seems to happen. Not sure who's the worse owner: MLSE or Dolan

True, I've had this discussion in real life and other boards. These are by far the worst teams in terms of great history (Leafs are much better than the Knicks in this regard), but seemingly no title success since then and poor team management for the most part (Knicks in 01-10,14; Leafs post 06).

Interesting to note that Knick fans are also happy James Dolan is not running the team personally anymore and that since the New York Rangers had such success last year (only Glen Sather), it will translate to the Knicks having success with Phil Jackson alone running the team. Easier said that done. The NBA and NHL parity is just too different for me seeing the Knicks trying to repeat the same success as the Rangers.
Stuck in Dystopia.
TDotsfinest97
Banned User
And1: 5,953

Post#20 » by TDotsfinest97 » Wed Oct 8, 2014 10:59 pm

Enjoy your L baby

GO HABS GO!

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs