Maple Leafs to play Red Wings at the 2013 Winter Classic

Moderator: Crowned

leafsfan89
Freshman
And1: 0

Maple Leafs to play Red Wings at the 2013 Winter Classic 

Post#1 » by leafsfan89 » Thu Feb 9, 2012 6:53 pm

Simply can't wait for this.

Hopefully they do an HBO 24/7 for this matchup as well because the previous ones were just phenomenal! The stadium can seat apparently around 115 000 seats and I hope getting tickets won't be a problem. There are a lot of other events going on around that week as well including an OHL game, an AHL game, an alumni game, a college game I believe, and some high school/youth games. All of which will take place at Comerica Park (Home of the Detroit Tigers). The only game to be played at Michigan Stadium (The Big House) will be the main event in which the Toronto Maple Leafs take on the Detroit Red Wings. Also, there will be public skating for the fans at Comerica Park during that week of festivities.

As much as I would love to have had the winter classic in Toronto, watching the leafs play at The Big House would be pretty awesome as well. Hopefully in the near future (in time for the 2017 centennial season) the leafs can host an outdoor game right here in Toronto. At this point the only viable option for a stadium to hold the game would be BMO field but perhaps they would do it at Ivor Wynne.

As Brian Burke said, its going to be "Hockeytown vs The Center of the Hockey Universe!" :D
"Yes they deserved to die, and i hope they burn in hell!"
BobbyBoy
Banned User

Re: Maple Leafs to play Red Wings at the 2013 Winter Classic 

Post#2 » by BobbyBoy » Thu Feb 9, 2012 8:18 pm

Cool!
winwinz
Sophomore
And1: 30

Post#3 » by winwinz » Thu Feb 9, 2012 8:35 pm

ALUMNI game

Team Yzerman vs Team Sundin would be sick
leafsfan89
Freshman

Post#4 » by leafsfan89 » Thu Feb 9, 2012 9:03 pm

Haha yea that would be pretty awesome to watch. Imagine a line up something like:

Team Sundin:

F Mats Sundin
F Darryl Sittler
F Wendel Clark

D Borje Salming
D Al Iafrate

G Felix Potvin

and this brings me to another topic... when are they going to include a Leafs legend team in the EA Sport NHL series?! Not only Leafs, they should include legends teams for all the original six teams. Perhaps they start next year? :pray:
"Yes they deserved to die, and i hope they burn in hell!"
Brew666
Junior
And1: 22

Post#5 » by Brew666 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:35 pm

leafsfan89 wrote:Haha yea that would be pretty awesome to watch. Imagine a line up something like:

Team Sundin:

F Mats Sundin
F Darryl Sittler
F Wendel Clark

D Borje Salming
D Al Iafrate

G Felix Potvin

and this brings me to another topic... when are they going to include a Leafs legend team in the EA Sport NHL series?! Not only Leafs, they should include legends teams for all the original six teams. Perhaps they start next year? :pray:

I'd like to see Sittler moved to the 2nd line w/ McDonald and Vaive on the wing. Then have a 1st line of Gilmour, Sundin and Clark. It'll be interesting to see what players end up on the team. Does someone like Domi deserve a spot? Will the team be heavy on players from the early 90s run and 2000s runs or will it include some of the older guys like Ron Ellis or Dave Keon? I see goaltending being Joseph w/ either Potvin or Belfour.

Props to the Illich(sp?) family for making this a pretty incredible event as well. You always hear what great owners they are, but the fact that they're including AHL, OHL, NCAA games and a minor league hockey tournament outdoors is pretty awesome. Great exposure and support for the game.
BobbyBoy
Banned User

Post#6 » by BobbyBoy » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:55 pm

They went all out. An AHL game outside and they will have i think 2 NCAA games. I can't wait!!
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#7 » by Crowned » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:15 pm

What an incredible experience that'll be. I really hope I can get my hands on some tickets.
kavan
General Manager
And1: 89

Post#8 » by kavan » Tue Mar 6, 2012 12:44 pm

I think maybe eventually the Skydome host a game like this if not ASW!!
Raptors, Leafs, Jays. #Toronto
hsb
RealGM
And1: 15,858

Post#9 » by hsb » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:06 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0FvqRBew7U[/youtube]
"I definitely knew he traveled, but I didn't know they were going to call it. That was one of them situations in which a great player made a move...and they called the call. And I was like, 'Oh, man, there is a God.'

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs