Leafs Offseason Discussion

Moderator: Crowned

whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Re: Leafs Offseason Discussion 

Post#121 » by whysoserious » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:38 pm

Any chance we get Schultz?

Seems like Toronto had the inside track early on but seems more and more teams are taking a run.

I feel like the Leafs are gonna come away with nothing of significance this summer. Not even Luongo at this point.

We'll be ending up with Colby Armstrong level guys and trying to spin that in to some kind of positive.
Omar CominYo
Banned User
And1: 21

Post#122 » by Omar CominYo » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:58 am

sanity wrote:I'll be mega pissed if Kadri isn't on the 2nd line next season. Ashton will likely play the entire season with the big club, but we really need to get some value/evaluation out of Kadri. Either we use him or Burke has to just trade him

The entire season I was dumbfounded that Kadri was rarely called up. Almost every game he played he scored.
sanity
RealGM
And1: 1,812

Post#123 » by sanity » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:18 am

Well, he didn't exactly play that well when he was called up early on in his Leafs career. He struggled because Murphy had the gull to believe he had to 'earn his stripes' playing a checking line role like its the '70s or something. I hate when coaches have this belief that every single player has to fulfill some criteria before being 'rewarded' on the offensive lines. His skillset is what got him drafted so high and we haven't even attempted to really tap it until the late 2nd half of last season.

Its like how this team benched Shenn and sent out this 'spell' to the rest of the league like he was struggling mightily last year. If it weren't for Murphy being a tool we might've actually gotten more out of Philly than just JVR. Either way I love that the trade went through. Now if Burke gets some goaltending... or perhaps Reimer will improve knowing he's unquestionably the #1 guy. Either way, we look better on paper now at least
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#124 » by Crowned » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:53 am

^^Are you referring to Wilson?
sanity
RealGM

Post#125 » by sanity » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:46 am

Ah crap, yeah I meant Wilson. For some reason I was thinking Mike Murphy
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

Post#126 » by YogiStewart » Sun Jul 1, 2012 3:23 am

no to Schultz.
and the Leafs bought out Armstrong. smart move.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#127 » by whysoserious » Sun Jul 1, 2012 1:20 pm

YogiStewart wrote:no to Schultz.
and the Leafs bought out Armstrong. smart move.

Gaustad also re-signed. I think at this point, the way guys are going and a weak FA crop, the Leafs would be better off holding tight, looking at trades as opposed to signing some massive deals to lesser players. Just play the young guys.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#128 » by whysoserious » Sun Jul 1, 2012 10:15 pm

Several depth guys the Leafs were said to be targeting like Parenteau and Prust signed elsewhere. I'm hoping this doesn't make Burke's trigger finger itchy and go do something stupid. Now may be the time to be extra patient, just let the kids play if you can't do something.

The fact that Florida/Vancouver talks are heating up doesn't bode well for us getting Luongo. Burke should try and put pressure on LA to get Bernier.
_venom_
Assistant Coach
And1: 100

Post#129 » by _venom_ » Mon Jul 2, 2012 2:03 am

I don't really like the McClement signing only because I'd rather see our young guys get playing time with the big club this year. These are our signed forwards for next year so far:

Lupul/Bozak/Kessel
JVR/Grabovski/MacArthur
Lombardi/Connolly/Frattin
McClement/Steckel/Brown

Plus you have Kulemin who will probably be back. That would mean no Ashton, no Colborne, and no Kadri again. I hope Burke finds a way to get rid of Connolly and Lombardi to open up some room for the young guys. Lombardi didn't show that he's an NHLer last year and Connolly was mediocre.
sanity
RealGM

Post#130 » by sanity » Mon Jul 2, 2012 11:58 am

Yeah, I agree, this team really needs to somehow fit Kadri and maaybe Ashton into the lineup somehow. Ashton has that huge frame and ability to work along the boards that most of our lines severely lack still

Getting rid of Armstrong was a good move. Our goaltending situation is still pretty messed though. If Reimer gets the nod to start, might as well chalk up next season as another throw-away year
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#131 » by YogiStewart » Mon Jul 2, 2012 2:12 pm

to use a Raptors' reference, it looks like Burke is "adding a deck".
plugging in a 3rd line centre will fill the Kuleimin void. or Armstrong voids. hell, they are both voids.
but it won't increase your record by much/at all.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#132 » by whysoserious » Mon Jul 2, 2012 3:35 pm

sanity wrote:Yeah, I agree, this team really needs to somehow fit Kadri and maaybe Ashton into the lineup somehow. Ashton has that huge frame and ability to work along the boards that most of our lines severely lack still

Getting rid of Armstrong was a good move. Our goaltending situation is still pretty messed though. If Reimer gets the nod to start, might as well chalk up next season as another throw-away year

If he can't land Luongo or Bernier, he should close up shop and look at moving a few pieces out. I'd like to see Colborne get an extended look along with Kadri. Some freedom to just go out there and play. This is why he should have never re-signed Grabovski at that time, it was a waste of a contract. Not that Grabo is a bad player, he's ben great for us and he's tough which I love. They guy just keeps going but you should have limited your liability with a shorter contract or waited it out.

I think if Burke re-adjusted and said, we're clearing some of the deck and prepping for 2013 draft and FA, it would be the right decision. But it doesn't secure him a job.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,569

Post#133 » by DreamTeam09 » Tue Jul 3, 2012 6:50 am

Whos this Ashton kidd that everyone is talking about?? Kadri/Colborne/Frattin/Franson/Ashton/Lashoff/Blacker. I know about all the other guys, but nothing about Ashton

In Raptor Ball I Trust
_venom_
Assistant Coach

Post#134 » by _venom_ » Tue Jul 3, 2012 8:47 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:Whos this Ashton kidd that everyone is talking about?? Kadri/Colborne/Frattin/Franson/Ashton/Lashoff/Blacker. I know about all the other guys, but nothing about Ashton

Carter Ashton. We traded Keith Aullie last year to Tampa Bay for him. He played with the Leafs at the end of last year for 15 games.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#135 » by whysoserious » Wed Jul 4, 2012 12:23 am

Derek Roy could have been a solid pickup for us. Not sure we had what Buffalo was looking for but he would have been good.

I think Nieuwendyk is looking like a much more competent GM than Burke has in the past 5 years in his 2 years on the job.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#136 » by YogiStewart » Thu Jul 5, 2012 4:01 pm

_venom_ wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:Whos this Ashton kidd that everyone is talking about?? Kadri/Colborne/Frattin/Franson/Ashton/Lashoff/Blacker. I know about all the other guys, but nothing about Ashton

Carter Ashton. We traded Keith Aullie last year to Tampa Bay for him. He played with the Leafs at the end of last year for 15 games.

Big body...and not much else.
prototypical Burke player.
sanity
RealGM

Post#137 » by sanity » Sat Jul 7, 2012 8:27 pm

He has some skill and speed. I think his value is of greater worth to this team because we absolutely stink along the boards/cycling the puck. I agree though there is a lot of potential depth to replace him with. Its more or less a shot in the dark that he could contribute next season in any capacity
Moxie
Junior
And1: 23

Post#138 » by Moxie » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:24 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dca_pS9bQE0&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#139 » by YogiStewart » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:10 pm

the Kuleiman deal is really a headshaker.
if i were the GM, i wouldn't even bring him back. 7 goals. ugg.
but...he got a RAISE compared to his 1st contract. why??

when you're the 5th worst team in the NHL, you need to make changes. bringing back a 7 goal 2-way player is not the way to make change.

this also means that guys like Colborne, Kadri, Frattin, D'Amigo are not making the team. which roster spot(s) are available?
_venom_
Assistant Coach

Post#140 » by _venom_ » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:11 pm

YogiStewart wrote:the Kuleiman deal is really a headshaker.
if i were the GM, i wouldn't even bring him back. 7 goals. ugg.
but...he got a RAISE compared to his 1st contract. why??

when you're the 5th worst team in the NHL, you need to make changes. bringing back a 7 goal 2-way player is not the way to make change.

this also means that guys like Colborne, Kadri, Frattin, D'Amigo are not making the team. which roster spot(s) are available?

He is one year removed from scoring 30 goals and arguably being our best forward. He had a bad year yes but he was still great defensively, he hits and he's discipline. Letting Kulemin go for nothing would have been an absolutely (Please Use More Appropriate Word) move. Kulemin will have a bounce back season and put up 20+ goals and that deal will be a bargain. Kulemin is not the forward we should be shedding to make room for the young guys, it should be Connolly/Lombardi/Steckel....

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs