ImageImageImage

Leafs Offseason Discussion

Moderator: Crowned

Brew666
Junior
And1: 22

Re: Leafs Offseason Discussion 

Post#161 » by Brew666 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:41 pm

I'd have to agree; doesn't make a lot of sense unless you need that roster spot. Couple tweets from Mark Masters have me thinking Kadri is making the club out of camp.

@markhmasters: Carlyle says, from an offensive standpoint, Kadri has been among the top players at camp

@markhmasters: Kadri in the middle of JVR & Komarov at practice; Steckel & Frattin the extras it appears; top line & Grabo unit remain in tact
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#162 » by Crowned » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:46 pm

Connolly will not be bought out, I've heard he'll be assigned to the Marlies once he clears waivers.
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#163 » by whysoserious » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:18 pm

Opening a spot for Kadri to play the whole year makes sense. Bozak is no answer and though he's solid, this shortened season is the season to let Kadri center the top line for the season and play through it.

Also, as far as opening the roster spot up putting Connoly on wavers, it makes sense to send him down. It doesn't make sense to waste a compliance buyout on a player with an average cap hit that comes off next year anyways. Sending him to the Marlies makes sense, not the buyout. Unless there's a trade to absorb a big deal. There's no big FA's left to sign.

In a shortened year, play all the kids this year as much as possible.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,915

Post#164 » by ATLTimekeeper » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:42 pm

whysoserious wrote:Opening a spot for Kadri to play the whole year makes sense. Bozak is no answer and though he's solid, this shortened season is the season to let Kadri center the top line for the season and play through it.

Also, as far as opening the roster spot up putting Connoly on wavers, it makes sense to send him down. It doesn't make sense to waste a compliance buyout on a player with an average cap hit that comes off next year anyways. Sending him to the Marlies makes sense, not the buyout. Unless there's a trade to absorb a big deal. There's no big FA's left to sign.

In a shortened year, play all the kids this year as much as possible.

You might get your wish. Nonis sounds like he's talking directly to Gillis, but still the past two moves seem to be pointed at clearing the deck.

[url]http://espn.go.com/nhl/preview2012/story/_/id/8854584/new-toronto-maple-leafs-gm-dave-nonis-looking-make-mark
[/url]
"Am I asking the fans to be more patient? Not really, because I understand what they've gone through," he said. "We've got fantastic fans. I don't think you ask the fans to be patient. But we have to be. We have to be. It's up to us to try to put together a team that can win and win for a long time. Our ownership group has made it clear what they want: a winning team that can win for a very long time. They've been very supportive and given us all the resources, we have everything we need here to try and put together a winning team. But we're going to take the time that we need to allow these players to grow. If we can make moves that will fast-track it, we will, but not at the expense of first-round picks and good, young players."
emfive
General Manager
And1: 16

Post#165 » by emfive » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:56 am

This is not a compliance buyout. He is on simple waivers. They wouldn't save a cent on the cap. This is his last year, Time to move on. Get rid of middling of the road vets and develop the younger players. Maybe BC can have a looksee.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs