ImageImageImage

Leafs Offseason Discussion

Moderator: Crowned

Drake_02
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: Leafs Offseason Discussion 

Post#81 » by Drake_02 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:40 pm

Luongo also has a buy out in 2018. He will be 39 at that time.
Drake_02
Banned User

Post#82 » by Drake_02 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:30 pm

What about Kesler? What about Kesler and luongo to Toronto for something?
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#83 » by Crowned » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:57 am

I doubt Kesler will be available.
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#84 » by whysoserious » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:27 pm

Drake_02 wrote:What about Kesler? What about Kesler and luongo to Toronto for something?

I'd love to get Kesler here, but it would take a big package to get both Luongo and Kesler.

Also, Vancouver is not blowing things up just for the sake of it. They are still a good team and would still be considered a Cup favourite next season. I could see them considering moving Kesler had they not just dealt away Hodgson but that would leave them very thin and there's nothing down the middle on the Leafs that could even be considered 50 cents on the dollar as a center compared to Kesler.
Drake_02
Banned User

Post#85 » by Drake_02 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:26 pm

whysoserious wrote:
Drake_02 wrote:What about Kesler? What about Kesler and luongo to Toronto for something?

I'd love to get Kesler here, but it would take a big package to get both Luongo and Kesler.

Also, Vancouver is not blowing things up just for the sake of it. They are still a good team and would still be considered a Cup favourite next season. I could see them considering moving Kesler had they not just dealt away Hodgson but that would leave them very thin and there's nothing down the middle on the Leafs that could even be considered 50 cents on the dollar as a center compared to Kesler.

I think Vancouver is a good team, BUT they have a bunch of playoff chokers. The sedins don't really show and neither does Kesler. It's one thing to do good in the regular season, but it's another to perform in the playoffs.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#86 » by whysoserious » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:55 pm

Kesler was huge for them last year at different points and he's played hurt this season now and parts of last playoffs. Not sure you can call him a playoff choker. He plays a style that you want a leader on your team to play and they aren't moving the Sedins any time soon.

This is not blow-up time in their minds, this is tweak and continue making a run for the cup.

Sure i'd love to get Kelser here, but I doubt they're looking to move him.

Anyone know Jarret Stoll's contract status, wish we'd got him years ago in the fax machine fiasco and he'd be perfect compliment down the middle for us.
Drake_02
Banned User

Post#87 » by Drake_02 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:17 pm

whysoserious wrote:Kesler was huge for them last year at different points and he's played hurt this season now and parts of last playoffs. Not sure you can call him a playoff choker. He plays a style that you want a leader on your team to play and they aren't moving the Sedins any time soon.

This is not blow-up time in their minds, this is tweak and continue making a run for the cup.

Sure i'd love to get Kelser here, but I doubt they're looking to move him.

Anyone know Jarret Stoll's contract status, wish we'd got him years ago in the fax machine fiasco and he'd be perfect compliment down the middle for us.

Kesler was good in the Nashville series and he never really did anything of big impact for the playoffs. As for stoll, I believe he is going to be a UFA this offseason.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#88 » by whysoserious » Wed May 2, 2012 12:37 pm

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/h ... le2419885/

Great, this will just add to the quick fix decisions he's likely to make this summer in an attempt to make the team look good on HBO. Not to mention, if the team falls apart, he's got a built-in excuse to blame HBO and the 24/7 coverage.

Burke really needs to get over his ideaolgy towards the cap and way teams should operate. His notion that RFA's are off-limit...eff that, it's part of the CBA. He won't give out long-term deals, that's the reality of todays NHL, eff it and play against the teams your competing with. Standing on some morale high ground saying this is the way things should be done is hurting him and the Leafs.
Drake_02
Banned User

Post#89 » by Drake_02 » Wed May 2, 2012 3:25 pm

There is going to be a lot of role players. Guys like Prust,Paille,Kelly ETC. reas this blog.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Mike-Aug ... /120/44185
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#90 » by whysoserious » Wed May 2, 2012 4:00 pm

I have no problem with looking at the bottom 6 forwards but Burke's history has shown that he's overspent on mediocre guys in this category and targeted these guys. He needs to put all his focus on the goalie situation first, the top 6 forward group, adjusting the defensive group that he's put together and then look at his bottom 6 forwards.
Drake_02
Banned User

Post#91 » by Drake_02 » Wed May 2, 2012 7:24 pm

whysoserious wrote:I have no problem with looking at the bottom 6 forwards but Burke's history has shown that he's overspent on mediocre guys in this category and targeted these guys. He needs to put all his focus on the goalie situation first, the top 6 forward group, adjusting the defensive group that he's put together and then look at his bottom 6 forwards.

IMO, we need to get a goaltender and then focus on the bottom 6. The top 6 looked fine to me, but they did look bad in the gritty games because the leafs had no grit.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#92 » by whysoserious » Wed May 2, 2012 9:06 pm

Top 6 has talent but their lack of size hurts them. When things tighten up, they don't have that missing piece to battle....aside from Lupol.
Drake_02
Banned User

Post#93 » by Drake_02 » Wed May 2, 2012 9:16 pm

whysoserious wrote:Top 6 has talent but their lack of size hurts them. When things tighten up, they don't have that missing piece to battle....aside from Lupol.

And that's where you rely on your bottom six, too score some goals, and open things up. Just look at the playoffs. The bottom six has been huge for every team in the playoffs.
Drake_02
Banned User

Post#94 » by Drake_02 » Thu May 3, 2012 12:16 am

Random thought: what do you think about Justin schultz? Think he ends up in Toronto?
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#95 » by whysoserious » Thu May 3, 2012 1:46 am

Drake_02 wrote:
whysoserious wrote:Top 6 has talent but their lack of size hurts them. When things tighten up, they don't have that missing piece to battle....aside from Lupol.

And that's where you rely on your bottom six, too score some goals, and open things up. Just look at the playoffs. The bottom six has been huge for every team in the playoffs.

Not discounting the importance of a bottom 6 group. Just saying that's something you find very easily, the other parts are where upgrades are needed and a better overall mix. This team may have scored but not a single player strikes fear in other teams as an offensive weapon. Well, Kessel to a certain extent. Put this top 6 forward core against some of the top teams and it doesn't compare.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#96 » by Crowned » Thu May 3, 2012 3:44 am

The bottom 6 isn't a cause for concern. We could use a shutdown player or two, but that won't be too difficult to acquire. There's a couple of players that might make a jump into our lineup, guys like D'amigo, Carter Ashton and Matt Frattin might have a role on the 3rd line next year. Our 2nd line is fine, as I think Kulemin will have a bounceback season next year.

What this team needs is a big, talented player next to Kessel on the top line. I could see Burke target someone like Jordan Staal this summer.

If they could address their #1 center area, as well as a shutdown player like Travis Moen, I'd see it as a successful summer. This season should be about bringing along some of their youth, and developing the youth internally. Having guys like Colborne and Kadri get some NHL experience is a must IMO.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#97 » by Crowned » Thu May 3, 2012 3:47 am

Drake_02 wrote:Random thought: what do you think about Justin schultz? Think he ends up in Toronto?

Should be their #1 target this summer IMO. He'd instantly be one of our best prospects. I could see him going to Vancouver. That, and I think Edmonton is going to do everything possible to sign him.

Remember, this is the guy that Burke wanted in the Lupul trade. He settled on Gardiner.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#98 » by whysoserious » Thu May 3, 2012 12:58 pm

Crowned wrote:The bottom 6 isn't a cause for concern. We could use a shutdown player or two, but that won't be too difficult to acquire. There's a couple of players that might make a jump into our lineup, guys like D'amigo, Carter Ashton and Matt Frattin might have a role on the 3rd line next year. Our 2nd line is fine, as I think Kulemin will have a bounceback season next year.

What this team needs is a big, talented player next to Kessel on the top line. I could see Burke target someone like Jordan Staal this summer.

If they could address their #1 center area, as well as a shutdown player like Travis Moen, I'd see it as a successful summer. This season should be about bringing along some of their youth, and developing the youth internally. Having guys like Colborne and Kadri get some NHL experience is a must IMO.

If they can somehow manage to land Jordan Staal, that would be the perfect move for the Leafs up front. Better than going after Rick Nash, IMO. I think there's a deal there, maybe Schenn and something else for him. Pittsburgh could use some help on D possibly.

As for Schultz, didn't realize he was going to be an FA but would be a good move. Since other teams are lining up to sign him and Anaheim doesn't have much leverage, could you see the Leafs send a middle round pick to them for his rights earlier than his FA date and try and sign him. It's a risk, but one I'd probably do if I'm Burke.
Drake_02
Banned User

Post#99 » by Drake_02 » Thu May 3, 2012 4:40 pm

whysoserious wrote:
Crowned wrote:The bottom 6 isn't a cause for concern. We could use a shutdown player or two, but that won't be too difficult to acquire. There's a couple of players that might make a jump into our lineup, guys like D'amigo, Carter Ashton and Matt Frattin might have a role on the 3rd line next year. Our 2nd line is fine, as I think Kulemin will have a bounceback season next year.

If they can somehow manage to land Jordan Staal, that would be the perfect move for the Leafs up front. Better than going after Rick Nash, IMO. I think there's a deal there, maybe Schenn and something else for him. Pittsburgh could use some help on D possibly.

As for Schultz, didn't realize he was going to be an FA but would be a good move. Since other teams are lining up to sign him and Anaheim doesn't have much leverage, could you see the Leafs send a middle round pick to them for his rights earlier than his FA date and try and sign him. It's a risk, but one I'd probably do if I'm Burke.

Anaheim would be asking a lot. Maybe Kadri and a 2nd. This guy is a great talent. Some say he is better than Gardiner. But if we could land Shultz, we could move Liles for something, maybe even in a Deal that would bring J.Staal to Toronto.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#100 » by whysoserious » Thu May 3, 2012 4:59 pm

Drake_02 wrote:Anaheim would be asking a lot. Maybe Kadri and a 2nd. This guy is a great talent. Some say he is better than Gardiner. But if we could land Shultz, we could move Liles for something, maybe even in a Deal that would bring J.Staal to Toronto.

They have no leverage, it's simple we can just sign him after his FA date passes, instead they can take a middle-round pick or even a second or third rounder if you needed to. But they have no leverage to ask for anything.

Maybe you can figure out someone off the roster to clear some capsapce but them asking for Kadri and a 2nd is just not realistic. You're basically trading for a 1 month window to negotiate earlier.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs