Leafs Offseason Discussion

Moderator: Crowned

ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,915

Re: Leafs Offseason Discussion 

Post#141 » by ATLTimekeeper » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:01 pm

_venom_ wrote:
YogiStewart wrote:the Kuleiman deal is really a headshaker.
if i were the GM, i wouldn't even bring him back. 7 goals. ugg.
but...he got a RAISE compared to his 1st contract. why??

when you're the 5th worst team in the NHL, you need to make changes. bringing back a 7 goal 2-way player is not the way to make change.

this also means that guys like Colborne, Kadri, Frattin, D'Amigo are not making the team. which roster spot(s) are available?

He is one year removed from scoring 30 goals and arguably being our best forward. He had a bad year yes but he was still great defensively, he hits and he's discipline. Letting Kulemin go for nothing would have been an absolutely (Please Use More Appropriate Word) move. Kulemin will have a bounce back season and put up 20+ goals and that deal will be a bargain. Kulemin is not the forward we should be shedding to make room for the young guys, it should be Connolly/Lombardi/Steckel....

Bingo. He's had more 15+ goal seasons than he has 7. Good signing.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,441

Post#142 » by Morris_Shatford » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:03 pm

While its sorta off topic;

The Leafs could have outbid the Rangers in what they ultimately paid to land Nash,
Given the low cost and Burkes need to make some degree of deal to impact the roster, what gives?
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,915

Post#143 » by ATLTimekeeper » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:44 pm

Morris_Shatford wrote:While its sorta off topic;

The Leafs could have outbid the Rangers in what they ultimately paid to land Nash,
Given the low cost and Burkes need to make some degree of deal to impact the roster, what gives?

No clue, especially considering we had interest in him. Kind of surprised there isn't more outrage.
_venom_
Assistant Coach
And1: 100

Post#144 » by _venom_ » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:27 pm

The Leafs were not on Nash's list of teams he'd be willing to go to.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#145 » by Crowned » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:57 am

^This.

We weren't on his list, there were very few that were. If we were, he'd be a Leaf...almost guaranteed.
Relentless88
RealGM
And1: 101

Post#146 » by Relentless88 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:57 pm

The NHLPA submitted their latest proposal yesterday. Less revenue for players and expanded revenue sharing program. It seems as though the players have diverted this from owners vs. players to big market owners vs. small market owners?

Anyways, what are the implications of this for the Leafs (they are a big market..), and how likely is it that we avoid a lockout? I can't even imagine what another lockout would do to the league...
Secueritae
Sixth Man
And1: 2,448

Post#147 » by Secueritae » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:06 pm

How is TSN going to cope if there's a lockout??
Seems they show 20 minutes worth of highlights like 2 mins a game with a seperate screen to show the final score and top 5 players on each team, not to mention have those analysts on each Canadian team game. In contrast they show 1-2 buckets (20 seconds) per NBA game and have that small box underneath with the final score and 1 top player.
How will they cope having to cover NBA games more and only show 5-10 mins worth of lockout progress?
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#148 » by whysoserious » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:43 pm

I am fairly certain they will just fill that time covering the lockout itself with hockey specials and what not. It's a joke trying to watch a sports news cast and to have to wait 20 minutes to get 10 minutes of all the other sports only to reset and start all over again.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,441

Post#149 » by Morris_Shatford » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:06 pm

Crowned wrote:
We weren't on his list, there were very few that were. If we were, he'd be a Leaf...almost guaranteed.

Based on Burke's almost flawless record of getting big deals done?
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
Ado05
RealGM
And1: 5,930

Post#150 » by Ado05 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:10 pm

Morris_Shatford wrote:
Crowned wrote:

I guess the fact that the Leafs could have put together a better package than the rangers did.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#151 » by Crowned » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:33 pm

Morris_Shatford wrote:
Crowned wrote:

Based on the fact that he could've offered a more attractive package than what they ended up with. He could've thrown Kadri, Schenn, Colborne and a pick at Columbus, and it would've been a better deal.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#152 » by whysoserious » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:31 pm

So Allaire is out as Goaltending Coach. I wasn't a fan of his work overall with the guys on the big club but this shows again the problems with this organization where too many people interject and try to assert themselves in areas they should back off. I don't see things getting better with Rogers/Bell on board.

It's so sad to watch this **** constantly for so long with Toronto sports franchises.
sanity
RealGM
And1: 1,812

Post#153 » by sanity » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:26 am

Was it Allaire who attempted to turn Gustavsson into a butterfly goalie? If so he pretty much ruined his 2011-2012 year
Bankai
RealGM
And1: 26,477

Post#154 » by Bankai » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:49 am

I hear that the Leafs were interested in going for Roberto Luongo. I think its a good idea. They need that bonifide starting goalie. Ive seen Roberto give up poor goals in the past, but when he is on, he is ON! And as we have seen with Halak and Quick, you just need your Goalie to get hot in the playoffs and your team could ride him all the way to the Stanley Cup Final.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 31,946

Post#155 » by G R E Y » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:31 am

Not sure where to post this, but while we wait for the lockout to end, there's some Leafs related news in that Burke is doing some great charity work. He's the co-chair of Sleep Out: Executive Edition for Covenant House, an organization that helps homeless youth.

http://covhou.convio.net/site/TR/SleepOut/National?sid=1100&type=fr_informational&pg=informational&fr_id=1080

Yahoo article:

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/downtown-toronto-maple-leafs-gm-brian-burke-slept-212424275--nhl.html

Say what you will about the product he puts together on the ice, but off the ice he gets top marks for his involvement in bringing attention to and actively supporting important causes. :clap:
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
Ado05
RealGM
And1: 5,930

Post#156 » by Ado05 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:27 pm

Good on BB for doing that. :clap:
Brew666
Junior
And1: 22

Post#157 » by Brew666 » Mon Jan 7, 2013 10:04 pm

Ok, there''s not much left but what do people think will be BB plans for the rest of the offseason?

We have 2 amnesty clauses and Franson is still a RFA. I'm hoping one amnesty is spent on Komi and then we hold on to the other one (no idea when it would expire). Then with the money saved, we resign Franson (not a huge a fan of him but we shouldn't let him walk). I don't really see a point in amnestying Connolly or Lombardi b/c they're off the books by next year anyhow. If we have a significant piece we can add, sure, but I don't expect that.

Other than that I'd hold steady b/c I don't know how to gauge this team. It feels like we see 2 different teams play every year; whether it's the team that comes out like hot stink and drops a record number games in a row or vice-versa. Though it' s a shortened season, I think mgmt has to decide this year whether to continue the current path or blow it up (again). If we're out of the playoff race, then it's time to have a fire sale with whatever assets we have and start all over again. If we're in the running, then continue with what we have.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#158 » by whysoserious » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:51 pm

If the Leafs are smart, there is no better year to tank for them than now. A shortened season, no high end talent available right at the moment. This year should be about leaving guys like Kadri up and playing them heavy and teaching them. They've got capspace coming on the horizaon whereas many teams are capped out.

Don't make the move for Luongo, stay the course for one more shortened season. Making a quick push to the playoffs this year would be about the worse thing they could do right now.
whysoserious
RealGM

Post#159 » by whysoserious » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:21 pm

Leafs put Connoly on waivers for a potential buyout. The cap hit still counts, this one makes no sense. he expires after this season anyway. That's a total waste of a compliance buyout IMO.
Homer Jay
Assistant Coach
And1: 674

Post#160 » by Homer Jay » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:01 pm

whysoserious wrote:Leafs put Connoly on waivers for a potential buyout. The cap hit still counts, this one makes no sense. he expires after this season anyway. That's a total waste of a compliance buyout IMO.

Want to open up a roster spot maybe?

Down the centre this year looks like Bozak, JVR, Steckel, and McClement. Grabo can play C in a pinch and they probably want to bring up Colborne at some point this year as well. Leo Komarov will probably given a looksy as well.

Just no room for Conolly.

I think this strongly indicates that they intend to keep Bozak and the deal for Luongo as rumoured could be dead.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs