2013-14 predictions

Moderator: Crowned

YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,400

2013-14 predictions 

Post#1 » by YogiStewart » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:25 am

Curious to what you guys are predicting standing-wise for the Leafs.

I have to say that they're one team i wouldn't feel comfortable betting on. I have no clue where they'll finish. would not be surprised if they didn't make the playoffs,
bingolong
Pro Prospect
And1: 198

Re: 2013-14 predictions 

Post#2 » by bingolong » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:42 pm

Division got tougher this year when Winnipeg and Detroit traded places. I see the Leafs squeeking in to the 8th spot. Ranked in no particular order:
Boston
Detroit
Pittsburgh
Ottawa
Montreal
Philadelphia
Rangers
Washington
Toronto (on the bubble in or out)

On the outside looking in:
Buffalo
Carolina
Florida
Tampa Bay
New York Islanders
Columbus
New Jersey
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Ado05
RealGM
And1: 5,930

Post#3 » by Ado05 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:20 am

^^^new format this year.

Thats what the new divisions look like.

The top three teams in each division will make up the first 12 teams in the playoffs. The remaining four spots will be filled by the next two highest-placed finishers in each conference, based on regular-season points and regardless of division. It will be possible, then, for one division to send five teams to the postseason while the other sends three.

The seeding of the wild-card teams within each divisional playoff will be determined on the basis of regular-season points. The division winner with the most points in the conference will be matched against the wild-card team with the fewest points; the division winner with the second-most points in the conference will play the wild-card team with the second fewest points.

The teams finishing second and third in each division will play in the first round of the playoffs. The winners of each series will play for berths in the conference championship series.

The winners of the conference championships advance to the Stanley Cup Final.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by YogiStewart » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:39 am

you can't discount the Islanders. plain and simple.
vini_vidi_vici
RealGM
And1: 20,796

Post#5 » by vini_vidi_vici » Sun Sep 1, 2013 4:15 pm

Call me crazy, but I like Columbus next year to challenge for a playoff spot. And id like to reserve judgement on the Leafs until they get Kads/Franson signed and/or moved. I think that goes a long way toward what they can accomplish this year. I agree with you Yogi, they could be anywhere and despite my negative views on Nonis and what hes done, I think the future is bright with Reilly in the system and not on this team yet.

After reading what Adrian posted, its a rough road for eastern teams, less playoff odds, opposing division guaranteed 3 spots, etc.. should be an exciting year of hockey in Toronto atleast, competing down the wire for a spot.
iDRTG is terrible. ** Paid for by Pfizer Inc.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by YogiStewart » Sun Sep 1, 2013 10:10 pm

man, the East is tough.

are Mtl and Toronto fool's gold?
what about Detroit?

Carolina, Columbus and NYI will all be pushing hard for a playoff spot.

i wonder how the Caps will do as well. i think the Flyers are a mess.

the west is more predictable. i expect good things from Wpg and Edmonton. the pundits do not.
bingolong
Pro Prospect
And1: 198

Post#7 » by bingolong » Mon Sep 2, 2013 11:04 pm

Thanks Adrian. That new format will hurt the Leafs chances.
Division C looks really good.
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Ado05
RealGM
And1: 5,930

Post#8 » by Ado05 » Tue Sep 3, 2013 2:10 am

Yup. Gonna be tough in the East, and especially in our division. Every team in our division, I could see making the playoffs.

I think Boston has got one of the three spots for sure, and so does Detroit and then its wide open, imo.

It should be interesting to see how this plays out, thats for sure.
Waylon Mercy
Banned User
And1: 6,644

Post#9 » by Waylon Mercy » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:20 pm

Last year I thought the Leafs would be one of the worst teams in the league and they made the
playoffs. I thought they'd be lucky to win a game against Boston and they should have won the
series.

I've loved every move Nonis has done in the offseason and I can honestly say this is the first
time i've been interested and excited about a Leafs team in 20 years.

I think the new NHL format is pretty stupid but I see the Leafs in the 3-5 range in the East.
Chevy Chase
Sixth Man
And1: 820

Post#10 » by Chevy Chase » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:40 pm

Waylon Mercy wrote:Last year I thought the Leafs would be one of the worst teams in the league and they made the
playoffs. I thought they'd be lucky to win a game against Boston and they should have won the
series.

I've loved every move Nonis has done in the offseason and I can honestly say this is the first
time i've been interested and excited about a Leafs team in 20 years.

I think the new NHL format is pretty stupid but I see the Leafs in the 3-5 range in the East.

This is a Toronto team so I'll keep my $$ in my pocket, but on a beer wager, I think the Leafs are the perfect darkhorse. Its a contract year for Dion, so he'll have to up his game. I think Kessel has finally got the monkey off his back after the way he played in the Boston series. If so, look out.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs