Leafs Preseason

Moderator: Crowned

Mohanad
Pro Prospect
And1: 698

Leafs Preseason 

Post#1 » by Mohanad » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:35 pm

they drop the puck tonight against Philly

this is the first training camp for Randy Carlyle. So he actually gets to put his stamp on exactly what he wants. (I mean you can argue it doesn't make a different, tweaks and whatever are made during the season), but I think for such a tactical guy like Randy he really relishes the idea of having three weeks of specifically what he wants done when line matching {Remember the issues with line changes in the 2nd period last year?} and the minuita of it all.

Sun, 15 Sep 2013 Maple Leafs Flyers
(London, ON) 6:00 PM LEAFS TV

Mon, 16 Sep 2013 Flyers Maple Leafs
7:00 PM

Thu, 19 Sep 2013 Maple Leafs Senators
7:30 PM TSN, NHLN-US

Sat, 21 Sep 2013 Maple Leafs Sabres
7:00 PM CBC, NHLN-US

Sun, 22 Sep 2013 Sabres Maple Leafs
7:00 PM LEAFS TV

Tue, 24 Sep 2013 Senators Maple Leafs
7:00 PM LEAFS TV

Fri, 27 Sep 2013 Maple Leafs Red Wings
7:30 PM

Sat, 28 Sep 2013 Red Wings Maple Leafs
7:00 PM CBC, NHLN-US

I would expect to see a lot of names that are competing for jobs in the line-up, while trying to get some veterans some ice time leading up to the season.

These aren't written in stone (Teams are required to dress at least 8 veterans. Ex: 100 games + in nhl or first round pick in 2013) My guess on the lineups we might see throughout:

James van Riemsdyk - Tyler Bozak - Carter Ashton
Mason Raymond - Dave Bolland - Josh Leivo
Jerry D'Amigo - Jay McClement - Greg McKegg
David Broll - Joe Colborne - Brad Ross

Paul Ranger - Stuart Percy
Morgan Rielly - Korbinian Holzer
Carl Gunnarsson - Zachary Yuen

Jonathan Bernier
Garret Sparks
Mohanad
Pro Prospect

Re: Leafs Preseason 

Post#2 » by Mohanad » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:31 am

Leafs announced Tuesday that the hockey club has reduced its training camp roster by 14 players. Toronto’s current roster (listed below) now stands at 37 players (21 forwards, 13 defencemen, and three goaltenders).

Forwards Sam Carrick, Andrew Crescenzi, Jerry D’Amigo, Josh Leivo, Greg McKegg and Brad Ross, defencemen Petter Granberg, Dylan Yeo and Zachary Yuen, and goaltenders Christopher Gibson and Garret Sparks have all been assigned to the Toronto Marlies of the American Hockey League.

Forwards Frederik Gauthier (Rimouski – QMJHL) and Ryan Rupert (London – OHL), as well as defenceman Kevin Raine (Sudbury – OHL) have been reassigned to their respective junior clubs.

they assigned Tyler Biggs & Jesse Blacker to the Marlies

Realistically there was little to no chance Bigges makes it so might as well send him down now to be ready for the AHL camp. Biggs needs a year as a top line winger, PP and PK. I expect Friday Percy will get cut

Surprised Blacker got the axe before his second game

remaining players:

VanR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
Raymond - Bolland - Kulemin
Colborne - McClement - Orr
McLaren

Ashton - Smith - Abbott
Devane - Ryan - Bodie
Broll

Gunnar - Phaneuf
Gardiner - (Franson)
Liles - Ranger
Fraser

Rielly - Brennan
Percy - Holzer
MacWilliam - Marshall

Reimer
Bernier

McIntyre

Bubble Guys that need to clear waivers to be sent down (5): C T.Smith, W T.Bodie, D T.Brennan, D K.Holzer, D K.Marshal
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,915

Post#3 » by ATLTimekeeper » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:56 am

I was a little surprised that they sent down Granberg so quickly. He made some big mistakes last game, but that seemed like jitters to me. Of all the hopefuls, he looked the closest to being NHL-ready. He's the kind of strong but mobile defender that they need, too. MacWilliam has been better than I expected, but he can't stay on his feet.

Also, I think all those goons (Devane, Broll, Bodie) still in camp isn't a reflection of how they've played relative to other prospects, but that the Leafs feel like they need extra muscle with McLaren out. It's pre-season, where guys are trying to impress their idiot coaches by taking a run at someone.
Mohanad
Pro Prospect

Post#4 » by Mohanad » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:24 pm

Yeah, Macwilliams showed up to camp. My buddy played against him at the college level in the playoffs. He's a ruthless hitter, has a powerful stride, but he doesn't have much speed. His defensive instincts/ability is there, but he needs to improve his skating. Could be a good homegrown replacement for Fraser down the road.

Definitely a tough defensive hitter

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO7sMIvP6vs[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ0hw9WqqBM[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33bQwpO68a0[/youtube]

My caveat is he has only ever played 40 games a season. It would be wise to see him play a full 80 with the marlies. Wouldn't want him hitting a wall during key games down the stretch.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,462
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#5 » by SharoneWright » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:05 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0FUHuhm_fo[/youtube]
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,384

Post#6 » by YogiStewart » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:07 am

well, expect Kessel to be suspended for a few games.
a few wicked slashed and a spear and him re-entering a fight.
Ado05
RealGM
And1: 5,929

Post#7 » by Ado05 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:20 am

In case you missed it

http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=pipe42/latest/1/0/1008937/clip/0

And Clarkson is gonna get 10 for coming off the bench.
Lord Eder
General Manager
And1: 16,625

Post#8 » by Lord Eder » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:00 am

What an unnecessarily entertaining set of exhibition games this weekend lol
"Jerome Moiso with 2 rebounds and a steal.... Put him in the hall of fame!"
- Chuck Swirsky
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#9 » by Crowned » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:09 am

Stupid move on Clarkson's part, but he saw a 6'8 hack go after the teams franchise player, so he jumped in. You have to give him some credit for that. That's like having Orr or McLaren go after Vanek next time they play, you don't do it.

On a side note, you've got to love Bernier.
Mohanad
Pro Prospect

Post#10 » by Mohanad » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:20 am

Crowned wrote:Stupid move on Clarkson's part, but he saw a 6'8 hack go after the teams franchise player, so he jumped in. You have to give him some credit for that. That's like having Orr or McLaren go after Vanek next time they play, you don't do it.

Exactly! It would be the equivalent of Orr pumping fists into an unsuspecting Vanek, or any other star.

We'll lose Clarkson from the sound of things but I do hope Scott gets a couple games, not that it matters

David Alter @DavidAlter590
Kessel said Scott told him "he is gonna drop me" which is how that got started

Gotta love Miller being diplomatic and Bernie being like too bad were going. Love Berniers attitude - hes easily going to be a fan favorite.

Waylon Mercy
Banned User
And1: 6,644

Post#11 » by Waylon Mercy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:59 am

Most entertaining preseason ever...

I think I'm starting to fall in love with a Toronto sports team since the 2001 Raptors
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by YogiStewart » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:08 am

Crowned wrote:Stupid move on Clarkson's part, but he saw a 6'8 hack go after the teams franchise player, so he jumped in. You have to give him some credit for that. That's like having Orr or McLaren go after Vanek next time they play, you don't do it.

don't worry...Clarkson's gonna get 10 games worth of credit.
1/8 of the season lost...over $5 mil/year for him.

i know one of you will be upset, but this is exactly what i was saying about his signing. you cannot spend $5 mil/year of capspace on someone who takes penalties like this. pure stupidity.

plus Kessel will be suspended, i assume, for 2 game.
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,941

Post#13 » by CPT » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:26 pm

Pretty disgusted by Kessel in that video, to be honest.

Swinging his stick at Scott's ankles is a bitch move. Scott shouldn't be going after him, but Kessel's stick swinging turned my stomach.

Don't know if this makes me like Clarkson more or less.

The only person who comes out of this looking good is Bernier, lol.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by YogiStewart » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:53 pm

CPT wrote:Pretty disgusted by Kessel in that video, to be honest.

Swinging his stick at Scott's ankles is a bitch move. Scott shouldn't be going after him, but Kessel's stick swinging turned my stomach.

Don't know if this makes me like Clarkson more or less.

The only person who comes out of this looking good is Bernier, lol.

Ryan Miller is 2 years removed from having a major concussion. not sure if i think he's the idiot for fighting or if he let up a bit because of his history
Ado05
RealGM

Post#15 » by Ado05 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:15 pm

Miller got owned in that fight. :lol:

What Clarkson did was pretty nice, it shows you he's there for the other guys, but it was a bonehead move (especially when you really take a good look at it). Now he's gone for 10 games.

Not really bothered by Kessel swinging his stick, I know I would if John **** Scott was coming at me.

Good on Ashton to get right in there and go after Scott, same goes for Brennan.

Also, that guy who got a bloodied up by Kessel should never drop the gloves again.

In case you're wondering what i'm talking about with Clarkson, if you look when he gets on the ice, Scott is already being taken out by 2 other leaf players (Ashton and Brennan), and then if you look at Kessel, theres 2 **** Sabres going after him.

I imagine Kessel will get 1 or 2 games, and Clarkson gets 10.
Mohanad
Pro Prospect

Post#16 » by Mohanad » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:00 pm

Carlyle: "I never believed in my wildest dreams that an attack would come on that type of player from our opposition."

If Scott gets loose and connects on Kessel he is going to cause a "Dennis Savard" situation for Phil. I don't blame Clarkson. It is rare that a legit HW fighter goes after a small non-scrapper like Phil so I don't blame someone that can at least tie Scott up jumping the boards. Scott snapped during that and when that happens he could have seriously hurt/injure Kessel. I'm not shocked that Clarkson went out there and sacrificed 10 games in defense of his teammate. That's just the guy that David Clarkson is. . As much as I appreciate the team mentality from him, that will cost the team in the long run.

Leave the law of enforcing to Orr

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaF_IxUvZI4[/youtube]
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,462
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#17 » by SharoneWright » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:12 pm

The type of 'tv' only HBO could inspire...
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Ado05
RealGM

Post#18 » by Ado05 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:23 pm

whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#19 » by whysoserious » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:32 pm

Scott was a complete idiot for even starting anything with Kessel.

First of all, he was pissed off about the Devane fight but it's not like Devane went chasing after Tropp to start the fight, it looked like both guys initiated it and Tropp lost. **** thing to happen with him falling on his head.

But if Scott wants to respond, go after someone that's the same size and make it a fair contact. Attacking Kessel makes absolutely no sense. It's not on Carlyle to match up. Scott could have easily waited till Devane was back on the ice.

In saying that, Kessel is also an idiot for chopping at a players feet and it's not the first time he's done it. The first one I could kind of understand in the heat of the moment to react, the second one and you're just being stupid out there. But in the pre-season, that's been Kessel's MO in respone to players coming after him. He simply can't do that, he's putting a target on his own back.

Clarkson, I kind of understand why he did jump off the bench, but he's gotta be smarter than that and wait, the other 4 guys jumped in pretty quick to help Kessel out. But Scott was jawing at the bench also before the faceoff so who knows.

This was just an escalation that was totally unnecessary.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs