Leafs Off-Season Thread

Moderator: Crowned

Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Re: Leafs Off-Season Thread 

Post#41 » by Crowned » Fri Jul 4, 2014 6:37 pm

I've seen all over the place, people expecting Santorelli to be the next 2nd line winger. If that's the case, we are in trouble. My post earlier about wasting money further proves my point with the Legwand signing today. If you want to contend and not play the kids in the bottom 6, why spend close to what Legwand is making on Santorelli and this Finnish guy? I'd take Legwand over those 2 for close to the same price any day of the week.
Ado05
RealGM
And1: 5,930

Post#42 » by Ado05 » Fri Jul 4, 2014 10:15 pm

Santo is pretty good. Dont see why you're hating on the signing. I've read around that Kionola and he seems like he's pretty good. Pretty skilled. He looks like he's going to be on the team, and on the depth chart, I think he is on the same level as Holland.

But I do like the Legwand signing for the Sens. Pretty good deal, but Santo and Kionola both have way higher upsides than him.

I'm just worried about our PK. Besides Bozak, and theres no one out there who can win a face off late in a 1 goal game.

EDIT: Just saw Santo's FO% was 51.3. But he only play 48 games, so in an 82 game season, you would expect it to drop a little.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#43 » by Crowned » Sat Jul 5, 2014 1:59 pm

Why is the Santorelli signing good? There is a reason why he bounces around the league, and signed for 1.5 million when he's supposed to be a 'good, skilled winger'. Have you personally seen him play? He's not that good.
GYBE
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 358

Post#44 » by GYBE » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:04 pm

Okay, now I love Brendan Shanahan.

He just fired idiot "capologist" Claude Loiselle and Dave Poulin. The hiring of Kyle Dubas, 28-year old analytical wunderkind, to be the new assistant GM is the most refreshing and surprising Leafs move I can remember. He's realized the old-school approach hasn't worked and has gone decisively in the opposite direction.

This is a great day for the Leafs.

Link
GYBE
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 358

Post#45 » by GYBE » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:04 pm

Okay, now I love Brendan Shanahan.

He just fired idiot "capologist" Claude Loiselle and Dave Poulin. The hiring of Kyle Dubas, 28-year old analytical wunderkind, to be the new assistant GM is the most refreshing and surprising Leafs move I can remember. He's realized the old-school approach hasn't worked and has gone decisively in the opposite direction.

Link
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#46 » by whysoserious » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:19 pm

GYBE wrote:Okay, now I love Brendan Shanahan.

Link

There's been tons of regime changes over the years that have looked refreshing and different take and yet the results have been pretty much the same. I'll hold my breath.

BTW, not saying I don't like the hiring, I think it's a step in the right direction but we'll see if the results follow.
s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,552

Post#47 » by s e n s i » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:42 pm

nifty little pick-up getting daniel winnik today on the cheap (1yr/1.3m) compared to comparable bottom-6 players who produced less last season. that's two sensible signings in a row. there's quite a logjam up front, but there is no doubt the bottom 6 is very serviceable now, with the booth signing and now winnik - two pretty good possession players
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).
Ado05
RealGM
And1: 5,930

Post#48 » by Ado05 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:41 pm

I like Winnik. Booth will probably be injured a lot. He's like Nolan Reimold.

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Clarkson
Booth-Santorelli-Frattin
Komarov-Holland/Winnik-Winnik/Holland

Extra: Kontiola, Orr (AHL), McLaren (AHL), Ashton, Bodie

I think Kontiola, Ashton and Bodie will battle for the 13th forward spot

Phaneuf-Robidas
Reilly-Polak
Gardiner-Franson

I think Franson will be moved, hopefully we get something decent for him. Maybe Edmonton and Detroit are interested.

Best part about all these signings is that they're one year. If we suck, and these guys are having decent seasons, you can sell them off and collect the DP's.
s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,552

Post#49 » by s e n s i » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:04 pm

gards resigned to 5yr/20.25m deal - an AAV of $4.05m, no no-movement clauses either

very fair at face value as it could end up being a steal in 2-3 years if he breaks out and the cap is at ~$80m. worst case is he doesn't reach his potential and we overpay by about $2m max total
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,930

Post#50 » by ATLTimekeeper » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:40 pm

Are we way over the cap now? Anyway, I've made it pretty clear I think Gardiner was unfairly maligned all year and so to have him back for 5 is more evidence that the Leafs have found some religion.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs