ImageImageImage

Leafs 2014-15 Season Thread

Moderator: Crowned

Brew666
Junior
And1: 22

Re: Leafs 2014-15 Season Thread 

Post#301 » by Brew666 » Fri May 8, 2015 1:50 pm

I'm not sure about Eakins. I think his stock took a hit after the Oilers and I'm not sold that he's ready to be a Head Coach in the NHL.

He was well regarded as the head coach of the Marlies but it's not like any of those player over achieved development wise and I don't think any of the players in Edmonton improved with him as head coach either. It's great he's knowledgeable about fitness and health but how much value does that bring to a head coach? Not much imo

I think McLellan and Ted Nolan could be options and I'd be fine with either
bballsparkin
General Manager
And1: 7,421

Post#302 » by bballsparkin » Fri May 8, 2015 7:17 pm

Eakins is too soft. Ted Nolan, now that would be interesting.
J Dilla
Banned User
And1: 1,832

Post#303 » by J Dilla » Sun May 10, 2015 3:52 pm

Dallas Eakins and Ted Nolan are perfect coaches for a rebuilding situation. You can expect Eakins to get the most out of Kadri which I'm sure is what Shannahan wants if Kessel and Phaneuf are gone. Another coaching candidate that is quite intriguing with his innovative style is Guy Boucher. Based on what I've seen from Boucher, I think he'd also be a perfect coach for this team. Probably my first choice.

I don't know if I want Babcock. He's a guy that would increase everyone's expectations. Hiring an Eakins or Boucher will keep things calm. For Babcock and the success of the Red Wings, I think its more on Ken Holland and their scouting than Babcock himself. Red Wings remind me of the Spurs of Hockey for many reasons.
Asif16
RealGM
And1: 27,437

Post#304 » by Asif16 » Tue May 12, 2015 3:58 am

Was bored and was kind of just messing around with some possible lineups for next season.

Trades:

Tyler Bozak + Jake Gardiner for Ryan Oreilly. (If colorado doesnt pony up the money, We can. And the avs get a good return)

Dion Phaneuf (No salary retained) for James Wiznewski, Emerson Etem, 4th round pick. (Wiz is sort of a cap dump and has fallen out of the depth chart for ducks. Ducks prefer stoner and have great depth on D.)

Joffrey Lupul for 3rd/4th (Trade to anyone who is willing to take lupul.)

James Reimer for Anthony Peluso and 5th round pick (Adds major toughness and grit to the 4th line. Jets have their version of peluso in thorburn. Peluso falls out of favor because of depth. Reimer gets clean start and leaves disgruntled toronto)

See if you can sign back Daniel Winnik. (Played Great for us. One of our better players last season. Maybe he wants to sign back with his hometown team?

Resign Zach Sill (Played with Great energy/hustle/toughness and a lot of heart at the end of the season for us. Keep as depth player.)

Starting Lineup 2015/2016

JVR-Oreilly-Kessel
Etem-Kadri-Nylander
Komarov-Holland-Panik
Peluso-Winnik/Sill-Bailey

Reilly-Polak
Percy-Wiznewski
Loov-Robidas

Bernier
Mack

The youth movement/Rebuild would well be under way. Im guessing our 4th overall pick this year will start with the marlies most likely, like nylander.

Feel free to critque. Too Unrealistic? Let me know.
Brew666
Junior
And1: 22

Post#305 » by Brew666 » Tue May 12, 2015 7:57 pm

[quote="Asif16"][/quote]
^

If the Leafs deal Gardiner, I think they can get better value. O'Reilly is a free agent after this year so there's a huge risk he becomes a one year rental if you don't meet his price [i.e. Bolland]. He's making 6.2 million right now and probably will be looking for something long term around 7? If they could work out an agreeable contract extension prior, that'd help but I just get the drift that O'Reilly is looking to get paid with all the contract issues he's had in Colorado. I'm definitely not sold on Gardiner but he still has value as a relatively young mobile dman. I think they hold on to him unless they think he'll never get over the hump or he's a piece in a big return.

I don't think ANA is good match for Phaneuf b/c they're deep on the blue line with a ton of youth. They have a lot of key RFAs up for extensions next year as well as Kesler becoming a a free agent, I think they'd be better off to spend their money on the RFAs and keep the young blue line together.

If Winnik doesn't go to a contender, I'd be cool with bringing him back. Although it doesn't work out all the time [David Booth], I like the strategy of signing cheap reclamation projects and think it should continue. Fill the roster w/ youth and cheap vets and it should be a team that won't win a ton of games but at least will compete most nights.

When it comes to trade partners, I'm talking to any team in the mushy middle [not elite and not rebuilding] and everyone is available except Rielly. Picks and prospects as the main return and I have no issue taking back salary for the short term [expires within 2-3 years] if it means getting a deal done.

W/ the possibility of a lower cap hit next year, moving players w/ a large cap hit is going to be tough and I think the Leafs have to realistically think whether moving the big contracts [Phaneuf and Kessel] this summer makes the most sense long term. Leafs fans won't be happy seeing them return but why deal them at their lowest value? We know they're not going turn this team into a winner any time soon so time is on their side in that respect. If the right deal comes along you take it but it might be better to hold on to them for a bit longer, improve their stock a bit, than dealing them just to get rid of them. Strip Phaneuf of his captaincy and give it someone else, and take off the kid gloves w/ Kessel [cut his ice time if he doesn't play D] if they return. Give the captaincy to a vet who is going to be a professional and sets an example for the youth. If Robidas returns, I'd make him captain.
BramptonYute
Head Coach
And1: 8,677

Post#306 » by BramptonYute » Wed May 20, 2015 6:21 pm

Looks like we got Babcock as head coach.

8 years around 50 mill :o
kidr1211
RealGM
And1: 18,189

Post#307 » by kidr1211 » Wed May 20, 2015 6:32 pm

Nored wrote:Looks like we got Babcock as head coach.

8 years around 50 mill :o

MLSE sh**s money who cares. I wonder what this does for the "rebuild" now
GYBE
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 358

Post#308 » by GYBE » Wed May 20, 2015 6:32 pm

Wow. Didn't think he and Shanny wanted to work together, but that's cool.

Hopefully he gives the franchise some respect in the eyes of potential free agents.
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,720

Post#309 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Wed May 20, 2015 6:38 pm

Don't we still need to improve the talent level on the roster on BOTH offence & defense? just saying...
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,907

Post#310 » by JN » Wed May 20, 2015 7:04 pm

The rebuild was just Cockblocked
BramptonYute
Head Coach

Post#311 » by BramptonYute » Wed May 20, 2015 7:22 pm

JN wrote:The rebuild was just Cockblocked

Pretty sure it wasnt.
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,907

Post#312 » by JN » Wed May 20, 2015 8:16 pm

Nored wrote:

Pretty sure it wasnt.

A proper rebuild certainly has been blocked. Up front money, early contract out clauses. Whether it only starts next year an accelerated rebuild is the fairly obvious plan.
BramptonYute
Head Coach

Post#313 » by BramptonYute » Wed May 20, 2015 9:06 pm

JN wrote:
Nored wrote:

Pretty sure it wasnt.

A proper rebuild certainly has been blocked. Up front money, early contract out clauses. Whether it only starts next year an accelerated rebuild is the fairly obvious plan.

The 8 year term alone should tell you that he's in it for the rebuild.

The outclause is if the Leafs rebuild takes longer than planned. I dont think anyone expects the Leafs to be bottom feeders for 5 years.

The upfront money is to compensate for the amount of losing we will be doing in the early parts of the contract.
bballsparkin
General Manager
And1: 7,421

Post#314 » by bballsparkin » Thu May 21, 2015 5:15 am

As an outsider I have to wonder if the Leafs will show the perseverance needed to do a proper rebuild? I mean great signing. But the roster is pretty **** and building through the draft is a must. I've been living in Tdot a decade and I've been telling my Leaf friends all these years. Friend tells me, "we just signed Jeff Fingers for 20 million!". Lol.

Good luck. Team is due. An accelerated rebuild is not the answer. I will say I listened to Shanny's press interview and he said all the right things. Leafs should aim to get another top 5 pick next year regardless of the coach imo.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,915

Post#315 » by ATLTimekeeper » Thu May 21, 2015 11:36 am

JN wrote:
Nored wrote:

Pretty sure it wasnt.

Don't think there are any out clauses, according to Bob McKenzie. "Proper rebuild" is always a nebulous term, but anyone who thought the Leafs would intentionally lose for 3-5 years with Rogers bleeding money isn't paying attention. They might still suck next year as they try and shed some contracts, but they have enough of a starting point with young players and have overhauled their scouting department. Babcock will be sold as a part of their "proper rebuild."
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,176

Post#316 » by LLJ » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:22 pm

Looking at the Blackhawks, I can't help but feel we're so far away from being a contender. We're not just a few moves away, we're like 4 core players away, and if you know how hard it is to get 4 players who are top 10 let alone top 5 of their position, you know how far we are.

And looking at all these past champions always having STUD defensemen, I can't remember the last time the Leafs had a stud defenseman. Probably pre 1980s. Is Tomas Kaberle really the greatest Leafs defenceman of the last 30 years? MY GAWD. How does this happen? Does this organization not value defensemen all that much? They pay lip service to it all the time but have never shown any urgency to go get a stud defenseman. We've had great forwards, centers and goaltenders over the past few decades. But never a great defensemen, It pisses me off when I think of clowns like McCabe and Phaneuf having been propped up as being elite by the Toronto media.
metafisical
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,714

Post#318 » by metafisical » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:05 pm

LLJ wrote:Looking at the Blackhawks, I can't help but feel we're so far away from being a contender. We're not just a few moves away, we're like 4 core players away, and if you know how hard it is to get 4 players who are top 10 let alone top 5 of their position, you know how far we are.

And looking at all these past champions always having STUD defensemen, I can't remember the last time the Leafs had a stud defenseman. Probably pre 1980s. Is Tomas Kaberle really the greatest Leafs defenceman of the last 30 years? MY GAWD. How does this happen? Does this organization not value defensemen all that much? They pay lip service to it all the time but have never shown any urgency to go get a stud defenseman. We've had great forwards, centers and goaltenders over the past few decades. But never a great defensemen, It pisses me off when I think of clowns like McCabe and Phaneuf having been propped up as being elite by the Toronto media.

For the last decade or two, defence took a back step to goal-scoring and goaltending. Toronto has greatly benefited from superstar goaltending. I'm not hockey expert, but my brain works this way -- the better your defencemen, the less shots your goalie faces, or the less dangerous shots your goalie faces. Am I wrong?

Whatever, hopefully they copy what LA and/or Chicago is doing.
I acknowledge and thank the lək̓ʷəŋən peoples of the Songhees, Esquimalt and W̱SÁNEĆ First Nations for allowing me to live, work and play on their unceded traditional territories. I also acknowledge the Métis Charter Community of Victoria.
metafisical
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,714

Post#319 » by metafisical » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:03 pm

Maple Leafs make a trade. Some guy from the Islanders for some AHL guys.
I acknowledge and thank the lək̓ʷəŋən peoples of the Songhees, Esquimalt and W̱SÁNEĆ First Nations for allowing me to live, work and play on their unceded traditional territories. I also acknowledge the Métis Charter Community of Victoria.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,176

Post#320 » by LLJ » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:08 am

Is he a star? Alex Anthopoulos would have gotten a star for a bunch of prospects...

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs