ImageImageImage

Tuuka Rask: downfall of Leafs

Moderator: Crowned

north-of-border
Ballboy
And1: 5

Tuuka Rask: downfall of Leafs 

Post#1 » by north-of-border » Thu Nov 6, 2014 5:20 am

Forget all the other bad moves the leafs made this decade. At least they got a top 10 scorer in the Seguin trade..... What really screwed this team was the Rask for Raycroft deal.

Leafs only made the playoffs 1 time in the past decade... But its not like they were always a last place team. For the majority of time they were a fringe playoff team that could never put it together. They always came close. So what could have changed it all?........... Tukka RASK!

Leafs would have made the playoffs at least 5-6 times this decade.

What a screw up.... Thanks to Justin Poggie and John Ferguson jr
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Re: Tuuka Rask: downfall of Leafs 

Post#2 » by whysoserious » Fri Nov 7, 2014 12:25 am

That's just one bad trade in a long line of bad trades, bad FA signings and just a lack of direction.

Tukku Rask alone was not going to make that team a playoff team 5-6 times. Heck, Bernier had a pretty solid season last year and couldn't get them to the playoffs.
BramptonYute
Head Coach
And1: 8,677

Post#3 » by BramptonYute » Fri Nov 7, 2014 2:07 am

If Bernier didnt get injured, we probably would have made the playoffs.

Anyways, the Rask trade happened a long time ago. Time to forget about it.
Brew666
Junior
And1: 22

Post#4 » by Brew666 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:00 pm

If Rask is the difference between playoffs and no playoffs then that's a sign your team isn't good enough to be in the playoffs. Great goaltending should be the difference between a great/cup contending team and a good/playoff bound instead of playoffs/no playoffs.

That said, I think goalies in Boston have had the benefit of having Chara playing 25+ minutes in front of them. He has a Brodeur affect on the team and could have been awarded the Norris almost every year he's been w/ Boston.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,214

Post#5 » by LLJ » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:21 pm

Nored wrote:If Bernier didnt get injured, we probably would have made the playoffs.

As I recall, we also had troubles on offence. Kessel pretty much went on a drought at the worst possible time.
s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,559

Post#6 » by s e n s i » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:11 pm

JFJ **** us with that trade for sure, but who wouldn't trade kadri/1st for jeff carter right now? gardiner looks like he is what he is at this point. phaneuf still has 6 years left on his deal. just a whole bunch of deals and non-deals that have screwed us to the point of perennial treadmill laughingstock
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).
Ganjamayne
Starter
And1: 5,308

Post#7 » by Ganjamayne » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:31 am

Let's be honest everyone though Raycroft and even Pogge was the future at that time. Nobody thought Rask would even be an NHL caliber goalie.
north-of-border
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#8 » by north-of-border » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:20 pm

Ganjamayne wrote:Let's be honest everyone though Raycroft and even Pogge was the future at that time. Nobody thought Rask would even be an NHL caliber goalie.

Raycroft was only suppose to hold the fort down for a couple if season. He was not the future long term plan.

....... Rask and Poggie were the future. Yeh Leas had to chose one. Unfortunately they chose wrong.

What made it worse was what they got in return. Raycroft had a great rookie year, but was a backup when the Leafs made the deal. He sucked in Boston.
CptLouHefner
Banned User
And1: 243
Location: Somewhere getting suspended for trolling the garbage ass Knicks team.

Post#9 » by CptLouHefner » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:16 pm

This is silly. In hindsight, there are a ton of trades/drafts that you can do this with. Nobody knew that Rask would have been this good, he wouldn't have been traded if that were the case.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#10 » by Crowned » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:58 pm

Actually, Rask was regarded as a can't miss prospect at the time. He was absolutely incredible at the World Juniors too.
BramptonYute
Head Coach
And1: 8,677

Post#11 » by BramptonYute » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:18 pm

Its Tuuka Rask were talking about here, not Sidney Crosby or someone.

Rask is not the downfall of the Leafs.
TRNBA12
Junior
And1: 176

Post#12 » by TRNBA12 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:02 pm

I don't know if Tuuka does more with a horrible d situation than Reimer and Bernier did who stood on their heads quite a bit. Plus who knows how Tuuka the milk crate thrower handles the pressure here.

Still think half the problem with Leafs is JFJ era drove them to ground zero in terms of talent and assets. Brian Burke added better talent and assets to the team but if he had taken over at a 5/10 situation instead of a 1/10 it would've changed everything.
That and Dave Nonis has been a trainwreck since he take over and Shanahan has felt like as much of a ghost as Mikael Prokherov is with the Nets. Possible Brian Burke would have them going to 3rd straight playoff season
North_of_Border
Pro Prospect
And1: 369

Post#13 » by North_of_Border » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:54 pm

all im saying is, there were about 3-4 seasons where the Leafs came close to the playoffs and but just missed out..... yes the Goalies were not the ONLY problem, but we have all season what an effect a superstar goalie can have on a team with about average defense. Which the leafs had for many seasons. Think Bobrovsky in his first season with Columbus. That team shouldbnt have been anywhere near the playoffs.

......... now if the leafs were getting top draft picks year after year, maybe u live with it. But since they couldnt evenh manage that, u might as well have tried for the playoffs. Where Tuuka Rask comes to mind.
snomeister
Starter
And1: 1,853

Post#14 » by snomeister » Thu Jul 2, 2015 3:15 pm

I hated that trade the second I heard it. Both Rask and Pogge were great during the WJC, but after seeing Rask's performance in it, I knew he'd be a star someday. I thought Pogge would at least have a career in the NHL, don't know what went wrong.
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,786

Post#15 » by Dennis 37 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:12 pm

Leafs got Tom Kurvers for a pick that New Jersey used to get Scott Niedermayer. That was the trade that was the downfall of the Leafs.
Or one could argue Lanny MacDonald and Joel Quenville for Pat Hickey and Wilf Paiement as well.

Except for the trade that brought Doug Gilmour, every trade the Leafs have made has been their downfall.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,497

Post#16 » by bballsparkin » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:59 pm

^^Sundin trade was a good one.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,889

Post#17 » by OAKLEY_2 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:24 am

bballsparkin wrote:^^Sundin trade was a good one.

Felix Potvin for Bryan Berard was a good trade.

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs