Moderator: Crowned

MAS
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35

RealGM Article: Buds Woes Continues 

Post#1 » by MAS » Fri Apr 6, 2007 6:51 pm

http://www.realgmhockey.com/src_between ... _continue/

I think there are a few things here. I don't think Raycroft deserves the flak he's gotten so far. Yes Toronto fans are used to greatness in the pipes here, but Raycroft has had a different set of circumstances here.

Cujo and Eddie were in the prime of their careers here in Toronto, they were already considered All-Star goalies. Yes they were expected to be great here, but only because they have done it before in multiple citys. Raycroft is only 27 years old just becoming his own guy. As for Potvin, he kinda was in the same situation as Raycroft is in now. A pretty much rookie goalie entering probably the biggest hockey market and expected to make it big. The difference there is that the team around him was much different. A team that made the Western Conference finals twice.

Raycroft is here to stay for at least 2 more years after this one. He signed a 3 year contract last offseason and the Leafs have invested some time in him. He will be the guy to hold the fort when/if Pogge is ready to take over.

none the less, Jonathan Volpe did make a good a good article here
Marmoset
Veteran
And1: 563

Post#2 » by Marmoset » Fri Apr 6, 2007 9:20 pm

I agree with you that Raycroft doesn't deserve the flack that he's been taking. but I think he's just not that good. I don't get mad at Pape Sow for not being able to score 20ppg, because that's beyond his abilities, and I believe that being a top-notch goalie at the level of Belfour, Potvin, Joseph, etc. is beyond his abilities. There's still time for him to show it, but aside from possibly one year (and maybe not even that), there has never been any indication that Raycroft is in that class. He's a good goalie, but just a good goalie.

I have to agree with the article that he hasn't been able to steal games for the Leafs. That's what separates the good goalies from the great ones. Belfour had some brutal defencemen in front of him, but managed to come up big again and again. Same for Joseph. Potvin had the best Leaf teams in 20-30 years in front of him, but part of that was hi,. Raycroft hasn't got to this point - yet. I hope he does, I just don't think he has it in him. I'd be happy to be proven wrong (I seem to be saying that a lot whenever I talk about the Leafs!)

Return to Toronto Maple Leafs