NHL suspends Rome for rest of Stanley Cup Final

Moderator: Crowned

LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,197

NHL suspends Rome for rest of Stanley Cup Final 

Post#1 » by LittleOzzy » Tue Jun 7, 2011 8:55 pm

Bruins winger and Nathan Horton’s linemate, Milan Lucic, called it “guy-for-a-guy” justice but, in reality, it doesn’t work out to be that even.

The Bruins will be without Horton, a top-line winger, for the duration of the Stanley Cup final after he suffered a severe concussion in Game 3 of the series. Horton was at the receiving end of a vicious, late, shoulder-to-head hit from Canucks’ Aaron Rome that left him in agony on the ice for about 10 minutes. Horton was eventually removed by stretcher and taken to a hospital.

Tuesday, the NHL announced that Rome, a defenceman on the team’s third pairing, would be suspended for four games. The suspension will keep him out of the Cup final.

Boston went on to win Game 3 in an 8-1 victory. Vancouver leads the series two games to one.

After a hearing, league executive Mike Murphy said he based the suspension decision on the lateness of the hit and the severity of the injury. It is the longest suspension in the history of the Stanley Cup final.

“It had nothing to do with the stage. It's the play. The play speaks for itself,” said Murphy. “It was late and it injured a player; it injured him severely.

“We review the medical report. I spoke with the medical people in Boston this morning. It doesn't look good for Nathan right now to come back and play in this series.”

Murphy said Rome was “apologetic and contrite.”

“They're two great qualities because a series ago Aaron Rome was picking himself up off the ice with a concussion from a hit in a San Jose game. I have a lot of compassion for what he said. Had a lot of feeling for what he said. I did take it to heart. But I don't think it changed my mind a whole lot.”

Rome did not speak to reporters Tuesday but he issued a statement through the Canucks:

“I want to express my concern for Nathan's well-being and wish him a quick and full recovery. I try to play this game honestly and with integrity. As someone who has experienced this type of injury, I am well aware of its serious nature and have no desire for another player to experience it. I will not take away my teammates' focus on the task at hand and intend to speak at an appropriate time in future.”

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/nh ... final?bn=1
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Re: NHL suspends Rome for rest of Stanley Cup Final 

Post#2 » by Nolan » Tue Jun 7, 2011 9:06 pm

Honestly it was a pretty dirty hit and 4 games seems pretty fair.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
gojoorange
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,081

Post#3 » by gojoorange » Wed Jun 8, 2011 12:17 am

Nolan wrote:Honestly it was a pretty dirty hit and 4 games seems pretty fair.

Yea I think the suspension is well deserved considering how late it was, although I really doubt it was malicious.
j127
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41

Post#4 » by j127 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:02 pm

If I posted my honest views, everyone will bash me for condoning violence and being soft on dirty plays. So I won't make my views known.
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#5 » by Crowned » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:14 pm

Plays like this is what the NHL is attempting to eliminate, and for good reason. I might be alone on this, but the hit certainly was malicious. You can't possibly tell me Rome was lining up for that hit when Horton had the puck. Even if he had the puck when he was hit, it'd be a charging penalty.

I'm all for hitting and physical play, but Rome went overboard...and he deserves the suspension.
gojoorange
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,081

Post#6 » by gojoorange » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:42 pm

Crowned wrote:Plays like this is what the NHL is attempting to eliminate, and for good reason. I might be alone on this, but the hit certainly was malicious. You can't possibly tell me Rome was lining up for that hit when Horton had the puck. Even if he had the puck when he was hit, it'd be a charging penalty.

I'm all for hitting and physical play, but Rome went overboard...and he deserves the suspension.

I suggest you rewatch the hit, because it definitely would not have been charging. Rome was skating backwards prior to stopping and hitting Horton. I agree that the suspension is well deserved because these types of late open ice hits need to be eliminated, although the NHL allows a certain amount of leighway when it comes to hits after the puck has left. For Rome, I would bet it was a split second decision that was the wrong one. The game happens so fast, unless it was preconceived that the team wanted to injure Horton, I doubt there is even enough time when making the check for malicious intent to form. Also keep in mind that Van was up 2-0 in the series and the game was 0-0 at this point.

Return to Vancouver Canucks