Does Roberto Luongo need to go?

Moderator: Crowned

LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,197

Does Roberto Luongo need to go? 

Post#1 » by LittleOzzy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:47 am

Was he the main factor in the loses in the Finals?
Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,304

Re: Does Roberto Luongo need to go? 

Post#2 » by Parataxis » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:49 pm

Gotta blame it on the coaching - why was he even in game 7?
Canucklehead
Veteran
And1: 23

Post#3 » by Canucklehead » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:06 pm

Early in the series the refs did there bit to put it in Bostons hands but the last 2 games we were flat out outplayed and just couldn't get a stick on the puck at anytime in around the net.
Canucklehead
Veteran

Post#4 » by Canucklehead » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:07 pm

The other question is what would it take to unload Luongo after this....
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,494

Post#5 » by bballsparkin » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:25 pm

Is Luongo trade-able? And for what? I think he would do better with a team that doesn't have so much pressure.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#6 » by Nolan » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:33 am

Honesty I don't think so. It really looked like he was hurt over the last two rounds, it really seemed like he had a ton of trouble getting his glove hand above his shoulder.

But if you guys are looking to unload him, i'd welcome him with open arms in Edmonton.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
Crowned
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 154

Post#7 » by Crowned » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:58 am

They'll get a good return for him should they decide to trade him. He's still one of the better goaltenders in the league, regardless of his play in the cup.

Should they trade him? I would, but not due to his performance. I'd start Schenider, sign a cheap veteran backup, and use the money saved from Luongo to re-sign some of their key players, and go after a few free agents.
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#8 » by NashtyNas » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:49 pm

It would be ludicrous to trade Lou at this point. Yes, he's shown he can't handle pressure and what not, but was he the sole reason they lost? Absolutely not. The team defense was terrible in game 6 and 7, not to mention they got out hustled, and just flat out outplayed. They weren't hungry enough, they didn't play with a fire, and you just can't put all the blame on Lou and say that's that. Where were the twins? What happened to Kesler (albeit he did try very hard)?

Plus, you have to consider his value is at an all time low right now after that final's showing. You can't look to trade one of your best (and most expensive) commodities at a time when their value is the least. That's like investing in a stock, then selling at the first sign of "loss" and hitting your head on the wall once it goes back up.

Keep Luongo, let next season go by. If things haven't improved by mid season around deadline time and he's still the mentally weak Lou we know now, and the team isn't looking as strong, you will find better value and suitors for him. I just don't know what our need is anymore though. Losing Ehrhoff hurts a lot defensively, so I guess a puck moving defender would be good, but what kind of deals would be on the tables?

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
Canucklehead
Veteran

Post#9 » by Canucklehead » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:11 pm

I hate to sell low but if they can get anything for him they should move him and sign Cory making him the #1 goalie.

Or if there is a big cost to getting rid of Lou and the market for Cory is high we trade his rights reaffirming Lou as the go to guy and hope he gets his groove back.

Return to Vancouver Canucks