ImageImageImageImageImage

OT- Anime

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,478

Re: OT- Anime 

Post#81 » by j4remi » Tue Apr 5, 2011 3:26 am

Manhattan Project wrote:
Linguistik wrote:Just to re-iterate my post again....One Outs....definitely something to check out.

I know you say don't let it turn you off, but being a sports anime really does turn me off, like completely. I never had any interest in any of them.

As far as people who watch Anime go, ever since Adult Swim came on whenever the hell that was it became insanely popular for some. Even networks like SyFy etc tried to find some shows. Anime is for everyone really, not limited.

MP, have you checked out FLCL or Paranoia Agent? Two of the animes that really didn't fit into Adult Swim to me but were really amazing. FLCL might have the best animation I've ever seen in an anime, plus it's short and sweet.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Subway Token
RealGM
And1: 157

Post#82 » by Subway Token » Tue Apr 5, 2011 3:28 am

Prince of Tennis! (Kidding.... the manga was pitiful...)

But no mentions of Rorouni Kenshin yet?
BAT 14.0 Judge. PM for paypal info.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,962

Post#83 » by Manhattan Project » Tue Apr 5, 2011 3:29 am

j4remi wrote:
MP, have you checked out FLCL or Paranoia Agent? Two of the animes that really didn't fit into Adult Swim to me but were really amazing. FLCL might have the best animation I've ever seen in an anime, plus it's short and sweet.

FLCL has an insane following though, people wanted more and more from it. Never saw Paranoia agent but seeing this attached: Mystery, Psychological horror, Satire, Thriller does make me interested.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
dunku
Junior
And1: 2

Post#84 » by dunku » Tue Apr 5, 2011 3:30 am

knicksfan5494 wrote:I'm just curious -- not trying to start anything -- but what race/nationality are you guys that watch Anime? Just wanna smash the stereotype that it's only for Asian people.

Haha, I bet most people here would think I'm azn, but I'm Guyanese(west Indian) & I've seen 250+ Anime series.

As for your above question. Watch Katekyo Hitman Reborn. Everyone has thier own fighting ability & the plot is just awesome.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3OkWYDmfZw[/youtube]

Or watch Fairytail which is epic

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-ZRU-5Y2c4[/youtube]
Subway Token
RealGM

Post#85 » by Subway Token » Tue Apr 5, 2011 3:34 am

dunku wrote:
knicksfan5494 wrote:I'm just curious -- not trying to start anything -- but what race/nationality are you guys that watch Anime? Just wanna smash the stereotype that it's only for Asian people.

Haha, I bet most people here would think I'm azn, but I'm Guyanese(west Indian) & I've seen 250+ Anime series.

As for your above question. Watch Katekyo Hitman Reborn. Everyone has thier own fighting ability & the plot is just awesome.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3OkWYDmfZw[/youtube]

Or watch Fairytail which is epic

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-ZRU-5Y2c4[/youtube]

Once I finish Hunter X Hunter I'm definately going to watch Katekyo Hitman Reborn.. just that trailer sold me.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#86 » by j4remi » Tue Apr 5, 2011 3:34 am

knicksfan5494 wrote:Yeah j4remi, I'm going to stay with Hunter X Hunter. Like I said earlier I read the manga a good 5-6 years ago and now I'm watching the Anime. You really don't get Gon's innocence from the manga like you do the anime. It's amazing. What a great cast. One of the best and most underrated animes with one of the best set of characters.

Killua is probably the second most badass secondary character in all the mangas I've read. Hiei, who I feel like Killua is semi based on, is number one. Kenpachi from Bleach and Shikamaru from Naruto are both pretty dope too. Gon's innocence really shines in some of the later stuff as the world gets uglier and uglier around him...it's his innocence that kinda makes him refreshing (Riku from Claymore had it down pat too). My problem with Hunter X Hunter's set of characters is that Gon's main rival is too likeable imo and that aside from Gon and Killua, everyone else kind of comes and goes randomly in the arcs. Even in the mess of a close to the manga (at least temporarily though I think it'll be a looong time as it already has been), there was a battle scene that was so epic it belongs in anime form. I always really liked the characters in Inuyasha too, though it took too long and lost it's luster for me so I never finished it.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#87 » by Manhattan Project » Tue Apr 5, 2011 3:36 am

That Fairy Tale trailer reminds me of Guilty Gear for some reason.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Subway Token
RealGM

Post#88 » by Subway Token » Tue Apr 5, 2011 3:38 am

j4remi wrote:
knicksfan5494 wrote:Yeah j4remi, I'm going to stay with Hunter X Hunter. Like I said earlier I read the manga a good 5-6 years ago and now I'm watching the Anime. You really don't get Gon's innocence from the manga like you do the anime. It's amazing. What a great cast. One of the best and most underrated animes with one of the best set of characters.

Killua is probably the second most badass secondary character in all the mangas I've read. Hiei, who I feel like Killua is semi based on, is number one. Kenpachi from Bleach and Shikamaru from Naruto are both pretty dope too. Gon's innocence really shines in some of the later stuff as the world gets uglier and uglier around him...it's his innocence that kinda makes him refreshing (Riku from Claymore had it down pat too). My problem with Hunter X Hunter's set of characters is that Gon's main rival is too likeable imo and that aside from Gon and Killua, everyone else kind of comes and goes randomly in the arcs. Even in the mess of a close to the manga (at least temporarily though I think it'll be a looong time as it already has been), there was a battle scene that was so epic it belongs in anime form. I always really liked the characters in Inuyasha too, though it took too long and lost it's luster for me so I never finished it.

Oh don't even get me started on the badassness of the secondary chars from Naruto. Gaara and Rock Lee are AWESOMEEEEEEEE... Killua is definately number one for me. I'm still *fairly* new to the Anime scene, considering I'm just getting back into it after like 5-6 years. Forgot most of the stuff I read.
El C3M0
Junior
And1: 0

Post#89 » by El C3M0 » Tue Apr 5, 2011 3:38 am

Manhattan Project wrote:
El C3M0 wrote:This board could even make me an anime fan, wow :D I watched the first episodes of One Piece and Death Note, first 4 episodes of Samurai Champloo, which I think I will continue to watch. Thank you Manhattan and other guys for suggestions, I will keep checking here.

No problem. Not even to go into a rant about how Animes are different from Cartoons rant, but animes do have a lot of good story in them and are able to pull off a wider range of stories. Best thing is usually animes are short and sweet, don't let themselves start to suck.

Yep they look so.. I remember watching something called like Basilisk, maybe the only anime I have ever watched till this thread, with Pokemon of course. I thought Basilisk was good at that time, I doubt know because no one ever suggested that :D
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#90 » by j4remi » Tue Apr 5, 2011 3:42 am

Manhattan Project wrote:
j4remi wrote:

FLCL has an insane following though, people wanted more and more from it. Never saw Paranoia agent but seeing this attached: Mystery, Psychological horror, Satire, Thriller does make me interested.

It's not long at all, I think it's like 15 episodes IF THAT and it really is completely different from anything else. I kinda loved it in the same way I really loved Death Note (the first half).

To the Hitman Reborn reference, that's another one I keep meaning to read but getting distracted from. I thought it looked ridiculous at first but I always think of how much I hated the first arcs of Bleach, One Piece and Yu Yu Hakusho before falling in lover with them and change my mind. I have to give it the look, it's said in the same sentence as those.

I really liked Shaman King too...I was a lot younger and just enjoyed everything in Shonen Jump but I was a fan back in the day and it had all unique abilities (each warrior chooses a totem and a spirit that they sync with in order to fight, the main character is synced with a former samurai spirit).
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJqCP24thaI[/youtube]
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#91 » by Manhattan Project » Tue Apr 5, 2011 3:45 am

Best Characters: Main/Supporting
Spike [Cowboy Bebop]
Hei [Darker Than Black]
Kakashi [Naruto]
Revy [Black Lagoon]
L [Death Note]
Tudou [Code Geass]
Kenpachi [Bleach]
Franken Stein [Soul Eater]
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Subway Token
RealGM

Post#92 » by Subway Token » Tue Apr 5, 2011 3:47 am

Manhattan Project wrote:Best Characters: Main/Supporting
Spike [Cowboy Bebop]
Hei [Darker Than Black]
Kakashi [Naruto]
Revy [Black Lagoon]
L [Death Note]
Tudou [Code Geass]
Kenpachi [Bleach]
Franken Stein [Soul Eater]

Oh boy. Wait til you read/watch Hunter X Hunter. Killua blows all of them out of the water.
dunku
Junior
And1: 2

Post#93 » by dunku » Tue Apr 5, 2011 3:47 am

Manhattan Project wrote:That Fairy Tale trailer reminds me of Guilty Gear for some reason.

You'll find it more comparable to One Piece, it's extremely hilarious.

As for secondary characters, Hibari from Hitman Reborn is the best secondary character imo. Also Kanda & Lenalee from D.Gray Man.
Shooters
Junior
And1: 68

Post#94 » by Shooters » Tue Apr 5, 2011 3:48 am

I'm Caucasian - as is my girlfriend. Between the two of us, bookshelves full of Manga (Mostly hers, Shojo Beat stuff, I prefer to watch Anime, and have my reading more so horror/sci-fi and some graphic novels, but I've gotten hooked on a few Manga's in the past.) and Anime DVD's, we also have a few Samurai Swords.

The Asian stereotype I can understand, since Anime and Manga are prominent in said countries. I worked in a bookstore part time for some extra cash recently and most of the staff did not in any way understand, aside from me, the obsession with people coming in too buy what they essentially considered comic books that were read backwards.

Its just one of those things, no matter who you are, if you aren't into or understand it, you just won't get it, that is what I used to tell my co-workers lol.

I appreciate a lot of Anime because, well hell, some of them are so well done and geared towards adults(Not Hentai, my Knick Fan friends :lol:) and not children that I've gotten hooked on them out of sheer amazing storyline and character development, things that are lacking in some of our nightly TV programs, except for Knicks basketball.... Sometimes :lol:

Anyways, Anime FTW!
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#95 » by j4remi » Tue Apr 5, 2011 3:56 am

dunku wrote:
Manhattan Project wrote:That Fairy Tale trailer reminds me of Guilty Gear for some reason.

You'll find it more comparable to One Piece, it's extremely hilarious.

As for secondary characters, Hibari from Hitman Reborn is the best secondary character imo. Also Kanda & Lenalee from D.Gray Man.

I lost interest in D. Gray Man right after Lenalee got the hair cut and kinda lost her mind in the former exorcists body. The scenes got confusing to me. Before that it was awesome and co-sign Kanda all the way!

If you've checked out Worst The entire Front of Armament is ill from every generation.

Kenpachi is great.

Hiei stays in my top secondary though...I'd love to see Hiei's dark dragon against Yusuke's upgraded self.

I'm telling you guys though, Gangryong (sp?) from Veritas is the GOAT protagonist. Young Lightnight all day.

Also Siren! I completely forgot about Siren. If you want to read an amazing manga that got cut short and ended a little bit before it's time, you really wanna peep Siren.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Sky_Knicks
Banned User
And1: 419

Post#96 » by Sky_Knicks » Tue Apr 5, 2011 4:58 am

dunku wrote:I love TTGL's opening. Am I the only one who like anime opening & ending themes here? Well the good ones of course.

YuYu Hakusho & DBZ's were awesome too

My favorites were yuyu hakusho's opening and Dragonball's ending. [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuNXujtBPTg[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ9djHntkHY[/youtube]

The memories :cry:

By the way, people who only watched DBZ but didn't watch Dragonball really missed out. Seeing Piccolo's father taking over the world was pretty cool lol. And tien was a beast back then.
Sky_Knicks
Banned User
And1: 419

Post#97 » by Sky_Knicks » Tue Apr 5, 2011 5:07 am

I'm black. And when i was younger, ALL my black friends were just as crazy about DBZ as me :lol: And now most of them are as into Naruto Shippuden as I am. As someone else mentioned, if you go to a hip hop forum, 9 times out of 10 there will be a section dedicated to Anime.
DocZaius
Banned User
And1: 56

Post#98 » by DocZaius » Tue Apr 5, 2011 5:35 am

Baccano!

Serial Experiments Lain

Eden of the East

Trigun

Outlaw Star

Eureka Seven

Nodame Cantabile (yes yes it is shojo but it is surprisingly good)

Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex

Once again just shooting off animes that I've watched off the top of my head

My fav anime all time is Neon Genesis Evangelion

Also you need to watch Studio Ghibli films, especially Grave of the Fireflies
Subway Token
RealGM

Post#99 » by Subway Token » Wed Apr 6, 2011 3:45 am

I'm really getting into the meat and bones of Hunter X Hunter. I'm on my 3rd day and I just finished Episode 29... I'M HOOKED!

Wow... I could watch this all night.... I'm waking up early to watch what happens next OMG.
PRESTIGE
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,142
Location: The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

Post#100 » by PRESTIGE » Wed Apr 6, 2011 4:33 am

^^ Hunter X Hunter starts out slow, then gets really good, and then it kind of ends in a lame way. The manga continues of course, but the storyline is incredibly weird and the art looks like it was drawn by a 7-year old with tourettes. I heard the mangaka was sick for a long time and stopped doing it, then continued but its erratic.

If you want to find anime, check out some of the rankings here:

http://www.animenfo.com/statistic/top.php?type=anime

This ranks the top 200, find one then you can watch it easily with 1 google search.

I see that a lot of people already mentioned the obvious ones so I won't go into that. But some of the most underrated I've seen include:

Kekkaishi
Full Metal Panic (Multiple series)
Wolf's Rain
Eureka 7
Ergo Proxy
Flame of Recca
Berserk

For slapstick comedy:

School Rumble
Full Metal Panic Fumoffu

I mostly watch shounen stuff with male protagonists with occasional breaks for comedy. None of that shoujo lovey dovey school stuff. There has to be violence and fighting :lol:

Return to New York Knicks