ImageImageImageImageImage

OT- Anime

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,212

Re: OT- Anime 

Post#841 » by LLJ » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:38 am

Perdido/BR wrote:I went to see Deadman Wonderland because somebody here recommended it, and ended up REALLY liking it. Felt kinda rushed (and usually animes tend to draaaaaag on), but cool characters, really bloody, well drawn, good pace. Thanks to whomever recommended it.

Any other suggestions?

(Stuff I have watched and liked: Hunter x Hunter, Tenjou Tenge, Yu Yu Hakusho, Berserk...) I like 'em violent, fun, with some story, but not with like 10 minute-long monologues when the protagonist remembers his whole childhood in japan or something...

Judging by your tastes, it seems anime tends to drag for you because you pick a lot of long-running shows.

Except Berserk.

There are plenty of great 13, 12 episode shows. To me the ideal length is still 26 episodes, though my favourites tend to be in the 40-50 episode range. Good "violent" shows to consider are High School of the Dead (it also has ridiculously huge boobs), Black Lagoon, Canaan, and Darker Than Black. The problem is that aside from Canaan and Black Lagoon, none of them have really satisfactory endings. If I've already recommended these before, I apologize for repeating myself.

Sky_Knicks wrote:Can someone recommend me a good anime ?
I like Yuyu Hakusho, Dragonball (and dbz), Deathnote, Naruto shippuden, Rurouni Kenshin.

One Piece is still the only Shonen Jump anime I've watched over 100 episodes of. Obviously, I am not recommending One Piece for Perdido since it is quite slow, to say the least. One time it took 4 episodes to cover a 12 minute event in the show!! (The heroes were looking for a bomb/cannon, and they only had 12 or so minutes to find it. Took them 4 episodes to show this)
Sasaki
Veteran
And1: 781

Post#842 » by Sasaki » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:42 am

I like Yuyu Hakusho, Dragonball (and dbz), Deathnote, Naruto shippuden, Rurouni Kenshin.

After Linguistik recommended Shigurui, that's my favorite anime now. Any great animes similar to Shigurui ? Or just an action packed anime with a good story in general ?

Code Geass and Full Metal Alchemist would easily be my choices given your list.

The Fate/Stay Night GAME ( can't emphasize Game enough, the anime's an embarassing pile of crap) I'd also highly recommend, or the Kara no Kyoukai movies - you could go with the Fate/Zero anime, but that's a prequel, so I'd just recommend play Fate/Stay Night first.

Basically, go Type-Moon/Nasuverse or anything created by ufotable studio. Can't go wrong, no matter what you pick.

Another one is To Aru Majutsu no Index, but that's a mayyyybbbbeeeee. It's pretty popular, especially in Japan, but I personally view it as a poor man's Nasuverse.
But do you know what they call a fool, who's full of himself and jumps into the path of death because it's cool?
Bertrob
RealGM
And1: 8,821

Post#843 » by Bertrob » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:32 am

After Linguistik recommended Shigurui, that's my favorite anime now. Any great animes similar to Shigurui ? Or just an action packed anime with a good story in general ?

Action packed with a good story.....you're asking for a lot :P
Persona 4 first came to my mind. Its a good mix imo.
Accel world....i think the action is there but the story is meh.
Jormungand has some decent action. Story is solid. Its more about modern times though.

I agree with Sasaki about Fate/Zero, its one of my favorite anime of all time. Love the action/story in it.

Don't watch To Aru unless you like crappy, repetitive fights and a terrible story. Interesting characters though

LLJ's suggestion of CANAAN is good too. Solid show. Kinda like Jormungand.
Sasaki
Veteran
And1: 781

Post#844 » by Sasaki » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:09 am

bertrob wrote:

I agree with Sasaki about Fate/Zero, its one of my favorite anime of all time. Love the action/story in it.

Don't watch To Aru unless you like crappy, repetitive fights and a terrible story. Interesting characters though

I recommended To Aru less because I like it and more that I know it's popular. To Aru's problem to me is that like I said, I think the author tried to create his own version of the Nasuverse....only to end up something that frankly is a lot more similar to Bleach. On top of what you said, horrifically bland protagonist and ludicrous amounts of fanservice (and nothing ruins an action anime more than that - High School of the Dead and Zero no Tsukaima, I'm looking at you).

Speaking of Zero no Tsukaima. It's a TERRIBLE anime, but what is interesting about it is that it's huge weaknesses (some of the worst characters I've ever seen in fiction, have interestingly enough inspired quite a few fanfics which are superior to the original title - Hill of Swords, Emperor of Zero, Unfamiliar. It's a phenomenon I really haven't seen in other anime.
But do you know what they call a fool, who's full of himself and jumps into the path of death because it's cool?
Getouttahea22
Junior
And1: 2

Post#845 » by Getouttahea22 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:15 am

I enjoyed Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom. Had some nice music and pretty solid voices and animation in my opinion.

Has anyone been watching Psycho-pass by the way? It seems pretty good to me, and I really like the music lol.

I've been getting into some of the stuff for a bit of an older audience lately (Seinen, I guess that's around 18-30 year old males). Anyone have recommendations for that kind of stuff?
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,212

Post#846 » by LLJ » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:47 pm

Getouttahea22 wrote:
Has anyone been watching Psycho-pass by the way? It seems pretty good to me, and I really like the music lol.
I've been getting into some of the stuff for a bit of an older audience lately (Seinen, I guess that's around 18-30 year old males). Anyone have recommendations for that kind of stuff?

My previous post pretty much recommends seinen anime.
Sky_Knicks
Banned User
And1: 419

Post#847 » by Sky_Knicks » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:35 pm

Thanks for the responses guys.
Orange N Blue
Rookie
And1: 13

Post#848 » by Orange N Blue » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:58 pm

Case Closed is my favorite anime, Inuyasha, Full Metal Alchemist are the 3 i personally can vouch for.

Adult Swin used to have a great lineup but that has gone down hill the past 3-4 years.
Linguistik
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#849 » by Linguistik » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:13 am

Kingdom is pretty good

You might wanan get into Manga though, there are tons of more manga like Shigurui than there is in anime.

By the way, have you read the Shigurui manga? It continues where the anime left off.
Bertrob
RealGM

Post#850 » by Bertrob » Sat Dec 1, 2012 3:03 am

Sasaki wrote:
Speaking of Zero no Tsukaima. It's a TERRIBLE anime, but what is interesting about it is that it's huge weaknesses (some of the worst characters I've ever seen in fiction, have interestingly enough inspired quite a few fanfics which are superior to the original title - Hill of Swords, Emperor of Zero, Unfamiliar. It's a phenomenon I really haven't seen in other anime.

I think Infinite Stratos is like that too.
Signature NYK
Sixth Man
And1: 554

Post#851 » by Signature NYK » Sun Dec 2, 2012 12:33 am

I personally love One Piece but I am also very immature but the things that they go through in that anime are insane as well as the authors ability to foreshadow events that 500 episodes down the road. and His drawing style is so different from other animes like Bleach or Naruto where most characters look the same. Oda makes each character unique in some way.

Also if any of you are into fighting, and read manga's I would recommend Crows and Worst. they are amazing. Currently re-reading crows and man I just love the fight scenes and attitudes toward life in these manga's. Probably because I read them when I was in high school where the stories take place for the most part. Seriously though imo they are the most underrated mangas in out and I read a lot of em. lol

Shoutout to Hajime No Ippo, the comedy is unmatched in this anime/manga and I love boxing so I was bound to be hooked. I remember in Middle school when I skipped 3 days in a row to watch this anime lol then I got my first girlfriend and stopped for a long time lmao.
Linguistik
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#852 » by Linguistik » Sun Dec 2, 2012 3:54 am

Signature NYK wrote:
Also if any of you are into fighting, and read manga's I would recommend Crows and Worst. they are amazing. Currently re-reading crows and man I just love the fight scenes and attitudes toward life in these manga's. Probably because I read them when I was in high school where the stories take place for the most part. Seriously though imo they are the most underrated mangas in out and I read a lot of em. lol

Have you read Sugarless?

It's the same thing as Crows/Worst....but I think they have cooler characters.
Falstaffxx
Banned User
And1: 165

Post#853 » by Falstaffxx » Sun Dec 2, 2012 3:57 am

bertrob wrote:
Sasaki wrote:

I think Infinite Stratos is like that too.

Well Infinite Stratos was good concept and characters, so-so execution, so it's probably ripe for doujinshi.
Falstaffxx
Banned User

Post#854 » by Falstaffxx » Sun Dec 2, 2012 3:28 pm

bertrob, do you have any idea how I could find out what the songs are in the PV's for Prism Nana? There have been 3 PV's and I like them.
Bertrob
RealGM

Post#855 » by Bertrob » Sun Dec 2, 2012 5:42 pm

Falstaffxx wrote:bertrob, do you have any idea how I could find out what the songs are in the PV's for Prism Nana? There have been 3 PV's and I like them.

I looked for him too but I can't find them. Sorry. Great songs though. You looking forward to it?
Falstaffxx
Banned User

Post#856 » by Falstaffxx » Sun Dec 2, 2012 7:30 pm

bertrob wrote:
Falstaffxx wrote:bertrob, do you have any idea how I could find out what the songs are in the PV's for Prism Nana? There have been 3 PV's and I like them.

I looked for him too but I can't find them. Sorry. Great songs though. You looking forward to it?

Yeah I am, haha. Maybe they are insert songs for the show and they'll be on the soundtrack or something.
Bertrob
RealGM

Post#857 » by Bertrob » Mon Dec 3, 2012 2:30 am

I really wish they made Blaz Blue an anime
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG-5GcpnLAE[/youtube]
Falstaffxx
Banned User

Post#858 » by Falstaffxx » Mon Dec 3, 2012 2:35 am

I'd really like to get the full version of this song lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYzHMt1vTw4[/youtube]
Falstaffxx
Banned User

Post#859 » by Falstaffxx » Sun Dec 9, 2012 12:18 am

Girls und Panzer is the best show this season after Medaka Box.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jftmXemXzKU[/youtube]
Bertrob
RealGM

Post#860 » by Bertrob » Sun Dec 9, 2012 3:05 am

Whats is everyones most anticipated for next season?
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interes ... 2013-anime

Vividred is on the top of my list too, along with Tamako Market and Senran Kagura.

and anyone here watch Bakemonogatari/Nisemonogatari?
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... o-streamed

Only 4 episodes though. I don't really care for Hanekawa so I'm not too excited

Return to New York Knicks