ImageImageImageImageImage

Fields issue

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

seren
RealGM
And1: 4,188

Fields issue 

Post#1 » by seren » Mon Apr 9, 2012 7:12 pm

Wilbon was on 1050 today. Was asked about the game yesterday. He said Shump/Fields make a great tandem and mentioned about the chemistry. He said he does not understand why Woodson is playing JR so much. They mentioned about the possibility that it is because JR is a CAA client. Is this true? Do anyone think this may have some contribution to overusing JR? Dude is getting minutes he never got in Denver.
SmooveMelo
Rookie
And1: 154

Re: Fields issue 

Post#2 » by SmooveMelo » Mon Apr 9, 2012 7:15 pm

I think its moreso to keep JR happy and possibly give him a reason to come back next year. And btw, JR can hit 3s, create his own shot, better defender and knock down open shots. Not so much the same with Fields this year.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 125,741

Post#3 » by god shammgod » Mon Apr 9, 2012 7:15 pm

no. is wilbon a poster here ? how stupid a thought is that. fields is worse at both offense and defense. the end.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,816

Post#4 » by GONYK » Mon Apr 9, 2012 7:15 pm

Fields can't create his own shot, and the defense doesn't respect him from the perimeter. He's also a worse defender.

Though I do wonder if we would be seeing so much JR if Lin or Amare were healthy
seren
RealGM

Post#5 » by seren » Mon Apr 9, 2012 7:19 pm

GONYK wrote:Fields can't create his own shot, and the defense doesn't respect him from the perimeter. He's also a worse defender.

Though I do wonder if we would be seeing so much JR if Lin or Amare were healthy

This respect issue is kinda weird. Fields has the highest field goal percentage out of all our guards/forwards with the exception of Novak. I know most of his shots are from drives which is actually not a bad thing.

Also how a worse defender than JR Smith can result in more fast break opportunities due to missed shots/steals when Fields is in is beyond my capability. If we are better off defensively when Fields is on the floor, how does this make Fields a worse defender?
ORANGEandBLUE
RealGM
And1: 1,334

Post#6 » by ORANGEandBLUE » Mon Apr 9, 2012 7:19 pm

I think it's because we need his ball-handling due to the ineptitude of our "point guards."
knicksosmoove
Lead Assistant
And1: 23

Post#7 » by knicksosmoove » Mon Apr 9, 2012 7:20 pm

I do kind of wonder it myself. Fields limitations in a way serve him well. He doesn't try to get all fancy with his handle and take guys on one on one. He is becoming one of the better pick and roll ball handlers on this team, mostly because his decision making is so good. Offense seems to have more continuity with him on the floor because he likes pick and roll so much.

Landry broke out his old, slow release against the Magic. I think it serves him well enough because he shot 40% from three last year with it. He can only take threes if they're wide open and he has a day and a half to shoot, but I'd rather see him nailing those wide open corner threes than bricking those quicker shots at the perimeter.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#8 » by MaseInYourFace » Mon Apr 9, 2012 7:20 pm

seren wrote:Wilbon was on 1050 today. Was asked about the game yesterday. He said Shump/Fields make a great tandem and mentioned about the chemistry. He said he does not understand why Woodson is playing JR so much. They mentioned about the possibility that it is because JR is a CAA client. Is this true? Do anyone think this may have some contribution to overusing JR? Dude is getting minutes he never got in Denver.

Wilbon is an idiot. JR plays because like it or not he can create his own shot and is our best scoring option at the moment at the 2. Shump is a rookie who struggled most of the season offensively and is just now showing some consistency on that end. Fields is having a bad year offensively.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#9 » by MaseInYourFace » Mon Apr 9, 2012 7:23 pm

I'd give JR a slight edge on defense. He's quicker laterally and seems to have more playmaking ability on that end. Landry is a better defender than people give him credit for though. Often I find when he's struggling offensively people exagerrate the few mistakes he makes defensively.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
IMAN5
General Manager
And1: 5,666

Post#10 » by IMAN5 » Mon Apr 9, 2012 7:24 pm

JR can go 0-9 but he'll stay o nthe court because of his rebounding, energy, defense, and the fact that he will keep shooting. It's a double edged sword, but with guys like Lin and Fields you see them struggle, and it gets worse by passing up open good looks or standing around.

JR will keep playing, keep taking those shots. He can be having a horrendus quarter and then end it with back to back 3s and that's all anyone remembers or cares about.
instagram.com/510movement
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#11 » by GONYK » Mon Apr 9, 2012 7:24 pm

seren wrote:
GONYK wrote:Fields can't create his own shot, and the defense doesn't respect him from the perimeter. He's also a worse defender.

This respect issue is kinda weird. Fields has the highest field goal percentage out of all our guards/forwards with the exception of Novak. I know most of his shots are from drives which is actually not a bad thing.

Also how a worse defender than JR Smith can result in more fast break opportunities due to missed shots/steals when Fields is in is beyond my capability. If we are better off defensively when Fields is on the floor, how does this make Fields a worse defender?

The defense keeps one foot in the paint when Landry has the ball on the perimeter. They are daring him to shoot. That affects spacing, and forces Carmelo to have to come out to the perimeter.

JR is a much better on-ball defender than Fields, especially on guards.
CoolKids
RealGM
And1: 2,648

Post#12 » by CoolKids » Mon Apr 9, 2012 7:25 pm

can you imagine how much better we would be if Landry could shoot like he did last year. *sigh*
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 37,713

Post#13 » by KnicksGod » Mon Apr 9, 2012 7:27 pm

Fields is a better passer, slasher and even finisher at the rim. Doesn't take bad shots.

JR can create for himself and I think he's playing for that + D.
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#14 » by Sark » Mon Apr 9, 2012 7:27 pm

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks ... -to-fields

Below is a breakdown of Fields' defensive numbers, as provided by ESPN Stats & Info. Keep in mind they are all outcome-based, meaning if the player the defender is guarding shoots, gets fouled, or turns it over, the following stats take that into account. But if the player gets the ball and eventually passes off, that’s not factored in (it’s an inexact science).

As a primary on-the-ball defender this season, Fields is allowing 0.915 points per play. Among NBA players with at least 200 defensive plays, that ranks tied for 229th out of 273 players.

The player Fields is guarding scores on 42.1 percent of the plays in which a field goal occurs, a shooting foul is drawn or a turnover occurs. His 42.1 percentage ranks tied for 228th out of the 273 players who have at least 200 defensive plays. (Score percentage is the percentage of plays in which at least one point is scored.)

Among the 14 Knicks players with a minimum of 50 plays as an on-the-ball defender, Fields ranks dead last in allowing points per play (0.915) and score percentage (42.1).
seren
RealGM

Post#15 » by seren » Mon Apr 9, 2012 7:28 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:
seren wrote:Wilbon was on 1050 today. Was asked about the game yesterday. He said Shump/Fields make a great tandem and mentioned about the chemistry. He said he does not understand why Woodson is playing JR so much. They mentioned about the possibility that it is because JR is a CAA client. Is this true? Do anyone think this may have some contribution to overusing JR? Dude is getting minutes he never got in Denver.

Wilbon is an idiot. JR plays because like it or not he can create his own shot and is our best scoring option at the moment at the 2. Shump is a rookie who struggled most of the season offensively and is just now showing some consistency on that end. Fields is having a bad year offensively.

That is the thing though. Fields, in a bad offensive year, is making 47 percent of his shots. That is the highest percentage among all our guards/small forwards with the exception of Novak. Is he shooting a great percentage from the three? No. Miserable 25.9 percent. But compare it to JR Smith at 29.7 percent, Iman at 30.7 percent, Melo at 31 percent and Davis at 24.6 percent, it does not look that terrible.

So what is the difference? He simply doesn't take threes anymore. Are we better off someone chucking at around 30 percent instead of not chucking? Maybe. But with all the talk about JR creating for himself, most of the shots JR is "creating" is contested threes. Dude is taking 5 threes a game, while going to the line 1.7 times a game. Compared to Fields' 2.3 times.

Honestly, if this is all about management politics, I hate it. It sucks. Hopefully it doesn't bite us from the arse like the Indiana game. Which Woodson said he learned from and would give more time to Fields. Which did not happen.
UnderdogKnicks
Starter
And1: 40

Post#16 » by UnderdogKnicks » Mon Apr 9, 2012 7:30 pm

Yeah Fields sucks period for all his positives he bring his negatives are downright horrible. JR >>>> Fields and I think JR is trash if we want to build around Melo we need shooters on the floor and Fields is the most horrible shooting 2 guard in the NBA **** Fields.
Classics :

Knicks, Giants, Yankees, Rangers
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#17 » by GONYK » Mon Apr 9, 2012 7:32 pm

seren wrote:That is the thing though. Fields, in a bad offensive year, is making 47 percent of his shots. That is the highest percentage among all our guards/small forwards with the exception of Novak. Is he shooting a great percentage from the three? No. Miserable 25.9 percent. But compare it to JR Smith at 29.7 percent, Iman at 30.7 percent, Melo at 31 percent and Davis at 24.6 percent, it does not look that terrible.

So what is the difference? He simply doesn't take threes anymore. Are we better off someone chucking at around 30 percent instead of not chucking? Maybe. But with all the talk about JR creating for himself, most of the shots JR is "creating" is contested threes. Dude is taking 5 threes a game, while going to the line 1.7 times a game. Compared to Fields' 2.3 times.

Honestly, if this is all about management politics, I hate it. It sucks. Hopefully it doesn't bite us from the arse like the Indiana game. Which Woodson said he learned from and would give more time to Fields. Which did not happen.

I don't think we need a SG who can only score like a forward on the floor when we have an SG who can score like an SG.
seren
RealGM

Post#18 » by seren » Mon Apr 9, 2012 7:33 pm

GONYK wrote:
seren wrote:That is the thing though. Fields, in a bad offensive year, is making 47 percent of his shots. That is the highest percentage among all our guards/small forwards with the exception of Novak. Is he shooting a great percentage from the three? No. Miserable 25.9 percent. But compare it to JR Smith at 29.7 percent, Iman at 30.7 percent, Melo at 31 percent and Davis at 24.6 percent, it does not look that terrible.

I don't think we need a SG who can only score like a forward on the floor when we have an SG who can score like an SG.

Who? I presume you don't mean JR.
thisiskoz
Bench Warmer
And1: 511

Post#19 » by thisiskoz » Mon Apr 9, 2012 7:33 pm

ORANGEandBLUE wrote:I think it's because we need his ball-handling due to the ineptitude of our "point guards."

this...

i dunno why this topic is so hotly debated at the moment... jr has had the ball in his hands a lot since lin went down... its pretty simple...
Johnny Hoops
RealGM
And1: 2,212

Post#20 » by Johnny Hoops » Mon Apr 9, 2012 7:35 pm

Answer is simple....

- JR is NOT afraid to take big shots
- JR can play great on-ball defense
- JR can create shots (good or bad) :D

- Landry scared as kitten on freeway
- Landry afraid to shoot

I think Landry works on that jump shot and comes out smokin next year but right now his jump shot is BROKE'DDDDD :-?

Return to New York Knicks