ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Book recommendations- need help findng a good book

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Iamphilhughes
Junior
And1: 8

Re: OT: Book recommendations- need help findng a good book 

Post#61 » by Iamphilhughes » Thu Dec 6, 2012 12:50 am

HixNixKnicksTix wrote:Before I Go To Sleep

This is sort of a thriller/suspense/mystery version of Adam Sandler's 50 First Dates. A lot of times I find novels have long dead spots, but this one is truly very hard to put down.

Synopsis:
Every day Christine wakes up not knowing where she is. Her memories disappear every time she falls asleep. Her husband, Ben, is a stranger to her, and he's obligated to explain their life together on a daily basis--all the result of a mysterious accident that made Christine an amnesiac. With the encouragement of her doctor, Christine starts a journal to help jog her memory every day. One morning, she opens it and sees that she's written three unexpected and terrifying words: "Don't trust Ben." Suddenly everything her husband has told her falls under suspicion. What kind of accident caused her condition? Who can she trust? Why is Ben lying to her? And, for the reader: Can Christine’s story be trusted?

Read it. Was good. They're making it into a movie with Nicole Kidman as the lady with amnesia. Would totally recommend it.
Ignitowsky
General Manager
And1: 2,494

Post#62 » by Ignitowsky » Thu Dec 6, 2012 5:07 pm

You might like Stephen King's Dark Tower series. have you read the Hedge knight novellas that are sort of prequels to Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series?
All in all he's just another prick with no wall
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,375

Post#63 » by j4remi » Thu Dec 6, 2012 5:18 pm

HixNixKnicksTix wrote:Before I Go To Sleep

This is sort of a thriller/suspense/mystery version of Adam Sandler's 50 First Dates. A lot of times I find novels have long dead spots, but this one is truly very hard to put down.

Synopsis:
Every day Christine wakes up not knowing where she is. Her memories disappear every time she falls asleep. Her husband, Ben, is a stranger to her, and he's obligated to explain their life together on a daily basis--all the result of a mysterious accident that made Christine an amnesiac. With the encouragement of her doctor, Christine starts a journal to help jog her memory every day. One morning, she opens it and sees that she's written three unexpected and terrifying words: "Don't trust Ben." Suddenly everything her husband has told her falls under suspicion. What kind of accident caused her condition? Who can she trust? Why is Ben lying to her? And, for the reader: Can Christine’s story be trusted?

Wow...this sounds really good! I'll be looking into it for sure!
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
French Sinatra
Junior
And1: 122

Post#64 » by French Sinatra » Thu Dec 6, 2012 7:08 pm

Some of my all time favorites are

When Gravity Fails
Tales of the Otori - Across the Nightingale Floor
Born On A Blue Day
FlashFlood
Rookie
And1: 509

Post#65 » by FlashFlood » Thu Dec 6, 2012 8:08 pm

Ender's Game. BEST BOOK OF ALL TIME. Everybody I've passed it to has read it in one shot without consideration for eat sleep or rest.
Iamphilhughes
Junior

Post#66 » by Iamphilhughes » Thu Dec 6, 2012 9:51 pm

FlashFlood wrote:Ender's Game. BEST BOOK OF ALL TIME. Everybody I've passed it to has read it in one shot without consideration for eat sleep or rest.

It is pretty epic, but for me, the best book of all time is Cats Cradle. How are the enders game sequels?
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,583

Post#67 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Dec 6, 2012 10:09 pm

Ok, which is the book where the cadets have to go to alien planets to fight, travel in suspended animation to get there, and each time they get back from a war, the earth is more out of sync with them? 50 years off, then 200, then a thousand.....

Not Starship Troopers
Not Enders Game

Sort of cross between the two of them.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,583

Post#68 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Dec 6, 2012 10:13 pm

Found it. I liked this. Wikipedia gives away the plot...

The Forever War

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Forever_War
Iamphilhughes
Junior

Post#69 » by Iamphilhughes » Thu Dec 6, 2012 10:28 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:Found it. I liked this. Wikipedia gives away the plot...

The Forever War

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Forever_War

cool thanks. will check it out. for those sci-fi lovers out there, check out Dune. Pretty awesome book.
Little Italia
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,134

Post#70 » by Little Italia » Thu Dec 6, 2012 10:34 pm

The Art of War.

Book changed my life.

"New York Knicks will never win a championship with James Dolan at the helm. Off with his head!!"

WELCOME TO MEDIOCRE HELL
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,375

Post#71 » by j4remi » Thu Dec 6, 2012 10:58 pm

Little Italia wrote:The Art of War.

Book changed my life.

The Art of War and the 48 Laws of Power is a combo that is untouchable. I read a non-fiction book coupled with a fiction book at a time. I could give a nice list of good non-fiction reads but usually people go for fiction more or biographies.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
JustOneFix
Analyst
And1: 408

Post#72 » by JustOneFix » Thu Dec 6, 2012 11:54 pm

I'm huge book freak for a long long time, red bunch of them, from basically middle age classics such as Geofrey Chaucer, Dante, to Romantics such as Blake, Lord Byron, Shelley, french literature from the last century (Andre Gide, Camus, Guy De Mauppasant), to russian realists (Tolstoy, Dostoyevski, Gorki, to name a few), but absolutely the best book i've ever had my hands on, is;

This is what i call, not just a book, but the best piece of art in the last 200 or so years. This guy wrote a piece of work where all of his main characters are built on Carl Jung's psychological types while all of their's dialogues and moves in the novel are written in the manner of what is called in classical music, counterpoint (something that Bach was know for). This is just insanely difficult theme and technique. Huxley was probably a lone guy among all the writers who was both, a unbelivable intelectual as well as artist, in the same person. Some widly more popular guys like Hemingway, Dostoyevski, Hesse to name a few, are (in my opinion at least) nothing but intelectual and spiritual midgets comparing to this guy. He was really one of a kind.
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#73 » by Rasho Brezec » Fri Dec 7, 2012 12:04 am

Anyone read Benioff's City of Thieves? I'm trying to find an ebook but no luck.
JustOneFix
Analyst

Post#74 » by JustOneFix » Fri Dec 7, 2012 12:08 am

Iamphilhughes wrote:What do you guys think of Bukowski and which of his novels would you recommend? Heard a lot of great things about him.

First of all, he's not a great writer. He's good for comedy purposes, and that's it. If you want to laugh, and just laugh like crazy, then you read Buki. But he's not a great, nor a good writer.

With that being said, if you want something abstract (so to speak), read South of No North, Tales of Ordinary Madness, The Captain Is Out to Lunch and the Sailors Have Taken Over the Ship, or if you want something that looks more like a true novel, Women, which is probably his best work.
Perdido/BR
Sixth Man
And1: 36

Post#75 » by Perdido/BR » Fri Dec 7, 2012 12:16 am

To all of you praising Ender's Game: GO READ ENDER'S SHADOW!!!!!!! It's the same story, but from Bean's perspective. And Bean is a way more interesting character than Ender, who is all powerful, and never fails. And, you get to see the same events from the first, but from a completely different angle, including stuff that Ender never figured out on his own.
JustOneFix
Analyst

Post#76 » by JustOneFix » Fri Dec 7, 2012 12:24 am

If you're looking for good SF book, go read Arthur C. Clark "Childhood's End".
Synciere
Head Coach
And1: 4,311

Post#77 » by Synciere » Fri Dec 7, 2012 1:11 am

SelbyCobra wrote:Also, Stephen King's 11/22/63 is another mass-market book that was truly exceptional. I'm not a King fan at all, but that book was as enjoyable as any book I've read in the past year - which includes the Millennium trilogy and the A Song Of Ice And Fire series. Just a great job by King.

+1000000

I've never been a King fan either, but I really liked this one.

If you're into the alternate history genre, you should try The Company of the Dead also. There's another book called The Impeachment of Abraham Lincoln by Stephen L. Carter that was also very good..

To the OP, I also recently read a book about game theory and the impending doomsday of 12/21 that was extraordinary called In the Courts of the Sun, with the sequel called The Sacrifice Games by Brian D'Amato. I like these types but i recommend them all the time.

Happy reading.
Synciere
Head Coach
And1: 4,311

Post#78 » by Synciere » Fri Dec 7, 2012 1:13 am

DocZaius wrote:Behold a Pale Horse by William Cooper

Is this the one about Uhtred during the time of King Alfred? If so, I enjoyed this series also, though the story could go on forever...
FlashFlood
Rookie
And1: 509

Post#79 » by FlashFlood » Fri Dec 7, 2012 2:11 am

Iamphilhughes wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:Ender's Game. BEST BOOK OF ALL TIME. Everybody I've passed it to has read it in one shot without consideration for eat sleep or rest.

It is pretty epic, but for me, the best book of all time is Cats Cradle. How are the enders game sequels?

The sequels detailing the fallout of Ender's victory honestly aren't anything like ender's game. The writer starts inserting alot of philosophy into the story. It's still good mind you, but not anywhere near as exciting as ender's game.

Perdido/BR wrote:To all of you praising Ender's Game: GO READ ENDER'S SHADOW!!!!!!! It's the same story, but from Bean's perspective. And Bean is a way more interesting character than Ender, who is all powerful, and never fails. And, you get to see the same events from the first, but from a completely different angle, including stuff that Ender never figured out on his own.

Cool man, I'll definitely have to go find a copy. Sounds like a great way to relive the book I loved so much.
BigShot Bojan
General Manager
And1: 7,508

Post#80 » by BigShot Bojan » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:51 pm

11/22/63. Just finished it .....AWESOME. BOOK....really envelops you the storyline not your typical Stephen king book...
Formerly Knicks85

Return to New York Knicks